Blowout Cards Forums
Email Signup

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Off Topic

Off Topic This section may contain threads that are NSFW. This section is given a bit of leeway on some of the rules and so you may see some mild language and even some risqué images. Please no threads about race, religion, politics, or sexual orientation. Please no self promotion, sign up, or fundraising threads.

View Poll Results: If the jerseys in a card weren't authentic, would that kill jersey cards for you?
Yes it would kill the cards for me, I want authentic pieces used by the pictured player in some form 21 53.85%
No it would not, I collect for other reasons (design, artisitic merit, resale value) 18 46.15%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2012, 06:54 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default If card companies do use fake jerseys in cards, does that kill jersey cards for you?

There has been a lot of talk about this article in a few different forums here (short story: some guy says card companies bought fakes from him to put in jersey cards, either knowingly or unknowingly). I'm wondering how much it really impacts people's thoughts on these cards, so I figured I'd make a poll! Feel free to discuss below.

Last edited by SpastikMooss; 09-15-2012 at 06:57 PM.
SpastikMooss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 06:58 PM   #2 (permalink)

There is a grey area for me. If I know for sure it is fake I would never buy it. If it is questionable, I might buy it but only for really cheap.
Ooosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 07:01 PM   #3 (permalink)

Yup, it does. Relic cards just never really did it for me and this should just about seal the deal.
Old 09-15-2012, 07:02 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ooosh View Post
There is a grey area for me. If I know for sure it is fake I would never buy it. If it is questionable, I might buy it but only for really cheap.
This, any jersey cards I have in my collection is because I like the look of them. If I knew they were absolutely fake, I would probably not put too much money into it, if any at all, but I like cards more for what they look like, not for knowing exactly what day the jersey was worn. Probably part of the reason why I concentrate on parallels/refractors a lot more than hits for my collection.
Ajax1723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 07:10 PM   #5 (permalink)

It would kill it for me as far as jersey relics go. I really hope to find out that they aren't fake Jap knock-offs & feel that a company representative should go right to the teams clubhouse to pick up the actual game worn ones.
pmannings#1fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 07:13 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmannings#1fan View Post
It would kill it for me as far as jersey relics go. I really hope to find out that they aren't fake Jap knock-offs & feel that a company representative should go right to the teams clubhouse to pick up the actual game worn ones.
Follow up question for you then - if the cards are authentic, BUT they aren't always for that player (i.e. your Peyton Manning jersey has a Curtis Painter jersey piece in the card), would that make you feel worse about the cards? A lot of cards say a piece is game used but don't specify who it is used by, and we tend to assume the guy on the card is the guy who wore that jersey even though the card doesn't say that.
Old 09-15-2012, 07:20 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpastikMooss View Post
Follow up question for you then - if the cards are authentic, BUT they aren't always for that player (i.e. your Peyton Manning jersey has a Curtis Painter jersey piece in the card), would that make you feel worse about the cards? A lot of cards say a piece is game used but don't specify who it is used by, and we tend to assume the guy on the card is the guy who wore that jersey even though the card doesn't say that.
D@mn spastik that is a good question. I will say this that it would not make me feel any better than but as long as they are authentic game used/worn I guess it would be alright but it still is deceiving. Don't the players label those jerseys? If they do label them somehow then like I said above that a company rep should go straight to the source to pick up the jerseys.
Old 09-15-2012, 07:21 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
It's funny how personally I am so skeptical of items (in terms of authenticity) when it comes to memorabilia but I never thought twice about that when buying game-used cards.

I guess shame on me for thinking the card companies would never lie about authenticity.
Old 09-15-2012, 07:24 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zacky1053 View Post
It's funny how personally I am so skeptical of items (in terms of authenticity) when it comes to memorabilia but I never thought twice about that when buying game-used cards.

I guess shame on me for thinking the card companies would never lie about authenticity.
Upper Deck is a prime example of lying.
Old 09-15-2012, 07:27 PM   #10 (permalink)

If relics weren't real, I doubt that I would have bought as many Konerko relics as I have. That being said, even if they aren't authentic, I still like them.
Old 09-15-2012, 07:28 PM   #11 (permalink)

I'm not suprised by any of this. I haven't collected bat or jersey cards for a really long time. I really started to shy away about ten years ago. That was when the Manny Ramirez corked bat piece incident surfaced with Pacific. I just hope a similar issue with certified auto cards doesn't come up.
GoTribe!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 07:31 PM   #12 (permalink)

Yeah, it would do it for me, and hopefully everyone else. Not sure what would really be the rationale for desiring a jersey/patch card that was either not worn/used by said player or was an actual game-used piece but from someone else. I mean, what the hell is the point? To be honest, whenver it was that they began putting in that disclaimer about "not used in any particular game, season, whatever whatever" I was skeptical. I don't really know, it just seemed to me that they were trying to tell us something without actually saying it. If this is true, it will completely change my opinion and will only push me even further into buying auto-only or auto-predominant products, ilke Bowman Chrome/DPP, etc.
Old 09-15-2012, 07:37 PM   #13 (permalink)

One thing Ive been thinking about, and I will just say I do not condone doing this, what makes people who fake patches any worse then the actual card companies now? They make more money and somewhat alter the card but if it wasnt even a real patch to begin with and you had a choice between a fake patch or a really really nice fake patch then what would you take? Take the faked patches selling for more out of the equation, which is more desirable now that we know that most "real" patches are actually fake? Just some thoughts floating around in my head
Old 09-15-2012, 07:38 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueNE_09 View Post
If this is true, it will completely change my opinion and will only push me even further into buying auto-only or auto-predominant products, ilke Bowman Chrome/DPP, etc.
That is until companies admit to using "ghost signers" but I'd like to believe the fact that we have redemptions is at least some proof that the players really sign the cards. Otherwise they could fake all the autos in time for the cards to be live.
Old 09-15-2012, 07:58 PM   #15 (permalink)

like the poll option states, I collect for other reasons. My reason is mainly to collect base sets. So to me relics have never been important to me whether they were real or not.

And even if I were to pull a relic now after all these things about fake patches id still keep them
ToppsCollector1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 08:04 PM   #16 (permalink)

Don't even go there.....that would be the end of me and this hobby. But no, that wouldn't happen. I mean, the players would probably be like, WTF is that auto of me? I didn't sign those...the cat would be outta the bag. Jersey/patches, however, no player knows where any of those things end up, so that is why it is possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zacky1053 View Post
That is until companies admit to using "ghost signers" but I'd like to believe the fact that we have redemptions is at least some proof that the players really sign the cards. Otherwise they could fake all the autos in time for the cards to be live.
Old 09-15-2012, 08:28 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Don't even go there.....that would be the end of me and this hobby. But no, that wouldn't happen. I mean, the players would probably be like, WTF is that auto of me? I didn't sign those...the cat would be outta the bag. Jersey/patches, however, no player knows where any of those things end up, so that is why it is possible.
Well we've already got Dez Bryant...but that wasn't the companies problem
Old 09-15-2012, 08:29 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Very True.
Old 09-15-2012, 08:34 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoTribe!!! View Post
I'm not suprised by any of this. I haven't collected bat or jersey cards for a really long time. I really started to shy away about ten years ago. That was when the Manny Ramirez corked bat piece incident surfaced with Pacific. I just hope a similar issue with certified auto cards doesn't come up.
TOO LATE IT ALREADY HAS

Quote:
A card company would lose its license if they knowingly released autos of lets say Matt Cassell that they had an employee sign. First of all Matt Cassell is gonna find out and realize he has not been compensated and never signed those cards. If you release a "certified auto " of a memebr of the NFLPA and you did not pay the player they would revoke your license. They would go out of business. The Dez Bryants are fake . We as exerienced collectors know this. Those were the cards Panini sent him. Those are the ones he sent back. In there eyes they are real and thier behinds are covered as long as Dez Bryany "SAYS" he signed them . There is no way to prove otherwise. But if they just flat out put autos on the market of a player who they did not even have under contract to sign for them they would lose thier license almost instantly.
Old 09-15-2012, 08:38 PM   #20 (permalink)

If people still buy Jersey cards after beauties like this were put out,then they are lemmings

Old 09-15-2012, 08:42 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibberish View Post
If people still buy Jersey cards after beauties like this were put out,then they are lemmings

Oh yeah...I always forget about the "vintage" jersey pieces in that Cobb. smh
Old 09-15-2012, 09:45 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
I would have to agree with this.
gritt81 is offline   Reply With Quote