Blowout Cards Forums
Email Signup

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Off Topic

Off Topic This section may contain threads that are NSFW. This section is given a bit of leeway on some of the rules and so you may see some mild language and even some risqué images. Please no threads about race, religion, politics, or sexual orientation. Please no self promotion, sign up, or fundraising threads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2012, 02:36 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default How to Use the Brother QL-700 Label Printer for USPS Shipping

There were some questions about this in another thread, so I'm creating this here to link back to it (instead of burying in the other thread). These steps probably work for other Brother printers, but I've only tested the QL-700.

Materials Needed
- Brother QL-700 Thermal Printer. Currently on Amazon for $52 dlvd, which ain't bad. There's at least one on eBay for just a few bucks less.
- Brother-compatible (generic) DK-2205 label rolls (2.4" x 100'). I bought 4 rolls from eBay user deltadiscount7 for just over $5 each, which is about 30% of what the Brother brand rolls cost on Amazon. Each roll will print 150 labels (each 8" long).
** EDIT 3/29/13 -- see this post which suggests that deltadiscount7 is selling faulty DK-2205 labels; if anyone knows of a source to buy good replacement labels, please post or PM me. **
- Brother-compatible reusable cartridge for DK-2205. This is the spool that the label rolls goes on. I bought mine from eBay seller saitronix for around $5.

Setup and Printing
- Insert installation disk and follow instructions. Do not hook printer up to computer until instructed.
- Printer comes with a "sample" roll/spool, about 20' long I think. To insert replacement spool and roll, just put the replacement cartridge together and slide the roll onto the spool. It will look identical to the sample roll/spool. Insert the spool, power up the printer, manually feed the end of the label roll into the printer, close the lid, and push the "Feed" button for good measure.
- Once installation is complete and printer is hooked up and ready, go to PayPal and go through your typical "Print shipping label" process.
- Enter package information and click "Continue". At the bottom of the "Confirm and Purchase" page, click "Edit printer settings". Click the "Label Printer" option, and select Brother QL-550 - 2.4"xContinuous. There is no option for the QL-700, but the QL-550 interface works.
- Before clicking "Save", click on the "Download J2SE JRE" link, and go through the steps to download and install the Java 2 Runtime Environment. There will be options to download 32-bit and 64-bit environments; if you're not sure what type of machine/browser you have, it doesn't hurt to download and install both. Your computer will use whatever it needs.
- Back on the "Printer Options" page, click "Save". Continue on, click "Pay and Continue". After clicking "Print Postage Label", your browser will attempt to open a Java window to render and print the label. You may have to disable pop-ups and tell your browser a few times that you're sure you want to do all this ... just go through the motions. When it's all said and done, click "Print Label" and your adhesive label will come flying out of the QL-700.
- Fair warning, you may have to go through the setup process for both PayPal shipping (e.g. BO sales) and eBay PayPal shipping (shiptrack.ebay.com) separately.
I have only tried this for USPS shipping, and have not yet used the "Multi-Order Shipping" option. If you have experience there, feel free to share.

Another tip ... when using these labels for #000 bubble mailers, make sure you don't "over-fold" the seal on the mailer, making it shorter than 8". Will cause your adhesive label to slightly extend onto the back of the mailer, and the bar code and QR code are at each end of the label.

There you have it ... for about $65 or a little less, you can print shipping labels like it's nobody's business.

If anyone has any questions, please feel free to PM me or email me at calculusdork2@gmail.com.

Last edited by calculusdork; 07-19-2013 at 08:57 AM.
calculusdork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 02:47 PM   #2 (permalink)

Good job

Thx for taking the time to do this.
Old 09-20-2012, 02:50 PM   #3 (permalink)

Wow - thanks a million this is great info to have. Someone should make it a sticky.
uberfatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 03:13 PM   #4 (permalink)

Is it alright if I quote this and add it into the sticky up top?
Old 09-20-2012, 03:13 PM   #5 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

Great writeup! One thing to add. If you're in a pinch, and need to send the label to your regular printer, please DO NOT FORGET to change the printer settings. Once you set the default, it'll stay that way. ALWAYS pay attention to the "Edit Printer Settings" field to make sure you're sending your label to the right printer.
tajikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 03:14 PM   #6 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to dustin9900 Send a message via Yahoo to dustin9900

very nice been debating one of these....can you post a picture of a "finished" product (label on mailer) would be interested to see how they look too. Thanks!
dustin9900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 03:25 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
Is it alright if I quote this and add it into the sticky up top?
By all means, but this wherever it belongs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustin9900 View Post
very nice been debating one of these....can you post a picture of a "finished" product (label on mailer) would be interested to see how they look too. Thanks!
Certainly, will do tonight.
Old 09-20-2012, 03:35 PM   #8 (permalink)
The Fantastic Store

Great thread, I have to give this a thorough reading later.

Sorry if this is already answered but can you change the size of the labels printed or are do they get printed at the same size of the paper? Can you take pics also of the printer/label paper for comparison, thanks for all the info.
SportCardBuffet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 03:42 PM   #9 (permalink)

GREAT thread!! Thanks so much for taking the time to do this!
cardtrader22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 03:47 PM   #10 (permalink)

Added to this sticky at the bottom of the OP (where the printer info is).

http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/o...ered-here.html

Thanks for the info!
Old 10-09-2012, 11:47 AM   #11 (permalink)

Another user here was having issues with the QL-700 printing from a Mac. The issue, however, was not getting it to print ... it was simply that the labels were printing in portrait instead of landscape. I could get to the Orientation setting on my laptop, and could see where there is the option to switch between portrait/landscape, but we couldn't seem to find it anywhere on the Mac (I know nothing about Macs, lol). Oddest thing is, the image of the ready-to-print label was rendered correctly on the screen, then printed incorrectly.

Anybody know how to permanently change the printer orientation setting on a Mac?
Old 10-09-2012, 04:54 PM   #12 (permalink)

Can you post a picture of what the label looks like? (finished product) I just purchased one because I'm sick of printing and taping paper labels. I'm confused how this works though with the label being so small?
neahcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 12:26 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by neahcrow View Post
Can you post a picture of what the label looks like? (finished product) I just purchased one because I'm sick of printing and taping paper labels. I'm confused how this works though with the label being so small?
This is on 000 mailer and what the label should look like

How to Use the Brother QL-700 Label Printer for USPS Shipping-photo0457.jpg

Blurred out the shipping info...
Bosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 12:54 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco View Post

Attachment 107540

Thanks Bosco! Meant to do this some time ago.
Old 10-12-2012, 02:14 PM   #15 (permalink)

thanks so much for this write up. did you ever end up going thru the paypal or ebay shipping process?

PANINI = CHEAPSKATES: http://youtu.be/rsSq7QqpUto
clipperboy24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 02:52 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by clipperboy24 View Post
thanks so much for this write up. did you ever end up going thru the paypal or ebay shipping process?
I have been using PayPal Multi-Order Shipping for everything. You have to use IE/Firefox on a Windows machine (no Chrome!), but it works like a dream. I should do a write-up on that soon.

You can use the QL-700 through eBay, PayPal, or PayPal multi-order though. I haven't had any issues at all.
Old 10-28-2012, 12:24 AM   #17 (permalink)
BlowoutTV

Heads up on purchasing supplies from deltadiscount7 on eBay.

I bought a reuseable cartridge and a label roll:

1PK Brother DK2205 2 3 7 x 100 Continuous Paper Labels | eBay

Brother DK 2205 Reusable Cartridge 2 4 x 100 2 3 7 x 100 Paper Label QL Printer | eBay

When they arrived, the roll was already on the cartridge and I did not think anything of it. However, when I went to change the roll just now, I found out that they had superglued the cartridge together.

I also see that they are getting negatives now for selling these same labels that do not stick... mine were ok, but I just bought more a week ago. I hope these are ok...

I do not recommend this seller!

Old 10-28-2012, 03:33 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by houdini View Post

Brother DK 2205 Reusable Cartridge 2 4 x 100 2 3 7 x 100 Paper Label QL Printer | eBay

When they arrived, the roll was already on the cartridge and I did not think anything of it. However, when I went to change the roll just now, I found out that they had superglued the cartridge together.

I also see that they are getting negatives now for selling these same labels that do not stick... mine were ok, but I just bought more a week ago. I hope these are ok...

Yikes! That's bad news man, thanks for sharing.
Old 10-29-2012, 01:47 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:

Doh!

I just ordered some rolls and a reusable cartridge from them on Saturday...
Old 10-29-2012, 02:06 AM   #20 (permalink)
BlowoutTV

Quote:
Doh!

I just ordered some rolls and a reusable cartridge from them on Saturday...
Just check the cartridge before you use it if it already has a roll on it. I bought 1 roll and 1 cartridge and he shipped together... but he superglued the cartridge. So now I cannot re-use it. I have to buy another.

For the labels, rip off a small piece and check the adhesive. Mine have all been fine.
Old 10-29-2012, 02:34 AM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Just check the cartridge before you use it if it already has a roll on it. I bought 1 roll and 1 cartridge and he shipped together... but he superglued the cartridge. So now I cannot re-use it. I have to buy another.

For the labels, rip off a small piece and check the adhesive. Mine have all been fine.
Thanks for the advice Houdini.

I'll update the thread and let you guys know how it goes.
Old 11-01-2012, 08:57 PM   #22 (permalink)

Hey just an update, got my stuff deltadiscount7 and everything is working fine. Reusable Cartridge is not super glued and comes in either 2 or 3 separate pieces (cant remember and don't wanna remove it from the printer). Fits perfectly in the QL-700. Tape is just as good as the sample roll that came with the QL-700.

They send priority. Sent Monday Arrived today (Thursday).

I'm leaving a positive, would order from again.
Old 11-01-2012, 09:20 PM   #23 (permalink)
The Fantastic Store

Quote:

Attachment 107540

Label looks different from what I'm used to seeing, was that printed through paypal or another company?
Old 11-01-2012, 09:47 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportCardBuffet View Post
Label looks different from what I'm used to seeing, was that printed through paypal or another company?
Through paypal. But I believe paypal uses Pitney Bowes
Old 11-02-2012, 12:41 AM   #25 (permalink)
The Fantastic Store

@ Houdini & calculusdork When you guys print the labels do they look like that for you guys?

Or is it similar to this...