Blowout Cards Forums
New Categories

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Off Topic

Off Topic This section may contain threads that are NSFW. This section is given a bit of leeway on some of the rules and so you may see some mild language and even some risqué images. Please no threads about race, religion, politics, or sexual orientation. Please no self promotion, sign up, or fundraising threads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2012, 04:21 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Acquiring 3" x 4" Cardboard Pieces for Shipping Individual Cards

I hate the feeling that I'm spamming, but I posted this in Tyler's "Shipping" sticky a couple days ago and haven't got any response. I need to acquire some 3" x 4" cardboard pieces for "cardboard sandwiches" for shipping individual cards, and I need to do it in the next day or two. Here's the solution I posed in the "Shipping" thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calculusdork View Post
... one possible option would be to order 12" x 12" sheets from Uline. Each sheet could be cut into 12 3"x4" pieces, so each sheet would service 6 shipments. Cost for 100 sheets (for 600 shipments) would be $30 + $16 S&H (wtf?), or $11 S&H if I have it shipped to my work (apparently UPS does not want to come to my house). Thus, my added cost for each shipment would now be in the $0.07-$0.08 range. My time estimate for cutting would be 1 minute per sheet. I am willing to spend 1.5 hours to cut enough cardboard for a year's worth of shipments (at my current rate).
Does this seem reasonable? Is there a better way to get large quantities of 3" x 4" pieces of cardboard?

Really appreciate your help.
calculusdork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 04:25 PM   #2 (permalink)

Cut up boxes? Any store should have a stack behind the store awaiting recycling.
fullmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 04:34 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmetal View Post
Cut up boxes? Any store should have a stack behind the store awaiting recycling.
For sure ... but it would a take a lot longer to cut up enough pieces for 600 cards out of boxes than it would out of 12" x 12" pieces. With a stack of standard-sized pieces, you'd have a streamlined process.

I'm curious what other people do, esp. those of you who rip and flip cases at a time.
Old 09-23-2012, 04:42 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
For sure ... but it would a take a lot longer to cut up enough pieces for 600 cards out of boxes than it would out of 12" x 12" pieces. With a stack of standard-sized pieces, you'd have a streamlined process.

I'm curious what other people do, esp. those of you who rip and flip cases at a time.
I cut them by hand. I have a ton of them. If you get a decent box opener, you can rip through them pretty quick. I don't know of an outside source to purchase them or anything though.
Old 09-23-2012, 06:13 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
I cut them by hand. I have a ton of them. If you get a decent box opener, you can rip through them pretty quick. I don't know of an outside source to purchase them or anything though.
So I guess you just watch for boxes or get them from work or something? Just seems like it would be a lot quicker to buy standard-sized pieces, but maybe that's because I've been using a pair of scissors.
Old 09-23-2012, 06:31 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
So I guess you just watch for boxes or get them from work or something? Just seems like it would be a lot quicker to buy standard-sized pieces, but maybe that's because I've been using a pair of scissors.
Grocery store/liquor store? Some place that goes through lots of cardboard. Appliance store would be excellent because the piece are big and you could stack them when you cut.

My wife works in outside sales and we get dozens of boxes per week for her job. I use a box cutter when I cut them up to recycle.
Old 09-23-2012, 07:28 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Generally if I order a case (of cards) the case plus the box it's shipped in gives me plenty of material. But yes, I do get them from work if I haven't bought cards in awhile.

What I do is measure out one nice piece exactly the size I want it, then lay it on top of the next piece of cardboard and make a slice. That's it. It takes me ~1 second per cut. Super simple.

Last edited by Tyler; 09-23-2012 at 09:23 PM.
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 07:52 PM   #8 (permalink)

I use the same method Tyler uses: I cut up cardboard from cases that are shipped to me. It is the perfect protective dummy card filler material: twice as thick than those white dummy cards that Panini uses, but they weigh much less. The only downside is the time it takes to cut the pieces. I use a larger 11x17 industrial paper cutter to cut the cardboard. I measure out pieces with a white dummy card and pen, then cut pieces out on the cutter.

I haven't found a source for buying something like these off the shelf. If anyone comes across such a thing I would love to hear about it.

Right now I just opened a ton of Panini Prestige NBA, so I've go a box full of the white dummy cards. But every now and then for a shipment I have to spend an extra $0.17 (+1 oz) that I wouldn't have had to if I was using cardboard. $0.17 might not seem like a big deal for 1 transaction, but do a thousand and that's $170.
alexlazarevich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 09:11 PM   #9 (permalink)

Thanks for the input guys ... I will give that a shot instead of buying cardboard sheets. Really appreciate the feedback.
Old 09-23-2012, 10:33 PM   #10 (permalink)

And inallhonesty if your really desperate you can go on the usps store and get a order of the 25 large flat rate boxes for free and cut those..

Also selling drawings, send me a pm for any questions
Braveskid1025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 10:36 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braveskid1025 View Post
And inallhonesty if your really desperate you can go on the usps store and get a order of the 25 large flat rate boxes for free and cut those..
That is actually a GREAT idea. I have way too many Regional Rate boxes, I could cut some of those.
Old 09-23-2012, 10:38 PM   #12 (permalink)

Yeah, I ordered a 25 set when I sold all of my cards and were in my house in about a week

Old 09-24-2012, 12:10 AM   #13 (permalink)

If you shop at sams club or aldi, they let you take the cardboard boxes/crates to put your stuff in
eBay sellers beware, I will leave you a neutral if you don't at least include a toploader when shipping a card. Feel free to block me if you don't ship with a toploader or secured card holder. That is all.
High-End Bucket: http://s1135.photobucket.com/albums/m627/AvenOZ/High-End%20and%20HTG/
CP3toOKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 12:10 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braveskid1025 View Post
Yeah, I ordered a 25 set when I sold all of my cards and were in my house in about a week
Report you for abuse. We can blame you for USPS' money woes.
Old 09-24-2012, 12:14 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
No wonder they are going bankrupt
eBay sellers beware, I will leave you a neutral if you don't at least include a toploader when shipping a card. Feel free to block me if you don't ship with a toploader or secured card holder. That is all.
High-End Bucket: http://s1135.photobucket.com/albums/m627/AvenOZ/High-End%20and%20HTG/
CP3toOKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 12:21 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
huh? I used them to ship my entire collection in? how is that abuse

Old 09-24-2012, 02:42 PM   #17 (permalink)

Looked at the regional rate (USPS) boxes last night, they are too thin for my liking.

I cut up a couple small boxes last night using a box cutter ... it took me a while at first, but I eventually got the hang of it. By my estimation, I should be able to get enough pieces out of each jumbo case for 15-18 shipments ... meaning I may need to find a couple more big boxes and I'll be set.

Thanks to all for the advice ... definitely won't be spending the money on cardboard. Well, at least not cardboard boxes.