Blowout Cards Forums
ebay event 8.25.14

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Off Topic

Off Topic This section may contain threads that are NSFW. This section is given a bit of leeway on some of the rules and so you may see some mild language and even some risqué images. Please no threads about race, religion, politics, or sexual orientation. Please no self promotion, sign up, or fundraising threads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2012, 07:23 PM   #26 (permalink)

Lets play devils advocate here....if everyone is so into protecting the buyer from overpaying...

Is anyone going to voice their opinion if someone is way underpriced???

If I happen to have Mike Trout auto that goes regularly for $100 on ebay and I happen to list it with a price of $50...are any of you pricing cops going to tell me that I should raise my price???? or are you going to be first in line to say you'll take it...

Can't have it both ways without being a hypocrite, can you?
Dacubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 08:40 PM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeymcgee View Post
Yeah, I mean it's one thing to see someone getting the full-on heavy pressure sales treatment to buy something for too much money and helping the person out, but I don't really see that going on here. It's more like, "here's my cards, here's my price, let's make a deal." There's plenty of opportunity for the buyer to research the cards being sold and they can decide if they agree with the price. I just don't see how that's the board's responsibility.
This is the point I was trying to get across to Imac. If someone lists a Andrew Luck auto for $200 BIN, knowing full well in a year that card is gonna be selling for $100 does that mean they are "ripping off" the buyer? No it does not and I am pretty sure most people would agree with me. This is why people usually overpay on BIN items. To guarantee they get the card. They paid extra to guarantee victory. The cheap people who were making low offers lose because they were not willing to pay that premium. Does not mean the seller is ripping anyone off.
Old 09-28-2012, 10:06 PM   #28 (permalink)

I just don't see how that's the board's responsibility.

I see this as situational.
I mean, we all are a community. Love,like,hate,despise, we still should help each other. That said, most of us know how things go and what resopurces are used to ensure something is in the ballpark. But much like some people attack new members over petty stuff and people defend them, tossing out there that an item someone is asking 100.00 for sells on the bay for 30.00...i see it as protecting the week

CK, if Ron was 15.00 more on a 50.00 card, I wouldn't see a reason to say a thing simply because that would be an acceptable margin on a card based on money invested
While I really dont have a dog in this fight on any specific issue since I have never questioned a price between 1 person and another, my POV would still stand.

A person in Comics tends to want over ebay. I told him that as a board member,offering a deal at or below ebay since they had no fees would be a nice gratis to give members. This was my POV and something I practice on EVERY SALE I have ever made here (Feel free to review my threads from the past) however, that person does not have to and I only mentioned it to ENCOURAGE members to check with him before buying on ebay....that is about the extent of my involvement over inserting myself between a buyer and seller.

I just feel newbies should be afford some protection and I feel people buying/selling here should give incentives to continue to do so.

CK< I took the bones of lakings post and threw it out there. granted, it was the extremism end, being talked down to because I have a personal view on how things should be and how I practice them, was tacky,crass and douchy and I felt that his wording would allow for that type of behavior with the end motto of :Buyer should learn before buying...

Thanks for reading my blah blah
Old 10-04-2012, 11:29 AM   #29 (permalink)

Only issue i have is the constent cards that pop on this site and the seller wants a rather extreme price. Go check value against ebay and there is the same card that the OP bought for $10 and on here they want much more then they spent. I like to base my selling prices off what ebay has sold since I am including shipping, but when someone offers half what im asking they need to understand i am forking out $ for S/H something they would pay $3-4 for on ebay.
Srt42004n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:35 AM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srt42004n View Post
Only issue i have is the constent cards that pop on this site and the seller wants a rather extreme price. Go check value against ebay and there is the same card that the OP bought for $10 and on here they want much more then they spent. I like to base my selling prices off what ebay has sold since I am including shipping, but when someone offers half what im asking they need to understand i am forking out $ for S/H something they would pay $3-4 for on ebay.
I think that's totally reasonable, but IMO it's something that can be handled via PM rather than in the thread.

I'm not saying no one can say anything about a bad price--just don't blast the seller in his FS thread.
Old 12-26-2012, 05:00 PM   #31 (permalink)

I'd like to bump this up again since I'm seeing a lot of this happening lately.

We need to be more considerate to our fellow members in their FS threads.
Old 12-26-2012, 05:14 PM   #32 (permalink)
Banned

I normally don't even bother regarding someone's price. I could not care less. However, I will mention something if the thread title is "quick sale" or something of that nature.

Annoys the hell out of me to be asked to "watch", I do, wait for them to start and Thier super duper rock bottom blow out quick sale prices are above eBay.

Courtesy goes both ways, don't waste my time with a title of "quick sale" and I won't post what a douche you are for asking over eBay in your little "quick sale".
sdoug76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 05:18 PM   #33 (permalink)

My back button is easier to push than typing out my comments about member/cards/prices/ect
Old 12-26-2012, 06:24 PM   #34 (permalink)
Banned

I just have an issue with the quick sales when they aren't. That is misleading. I don't mean the ones that is around eBay, I mean people asking double the worth of a card and saying it is a quick sale.
nuccionino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 06:43 PM   #35 (permalink)

Default IMHO...

I don't do a lot of deals here but have made some with people of all ages and from all kinds of places through the years.

The biggest things to me are communication and manners. Sadly we have a lot of members who can't politely answer a request with a "No thanks" or "Sorry, not for me".

I've had guys ask me for a best price on my firm listed price and when I even answer and give them something more off, they don't get back to me by PM or in the thread. They just leave the conversation.

It hurts my feelings,
VinnyH
Guitars, fishing, and trading cards, safer than a lot of other habits. If I post a pic of a player, I took it. I may not be the oldest member here but I paid $8. an auto and shook Joe DiMaggio's hand at the Armenian Church in NYC once.
VinnyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 06:56 PM   #36 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuccionino View Post
I just have an issue with the quick sales when they aren't. That is misleading. I don't mean the ones that is around eBay, I mean people asking double the worth of a card and saying it is a quick sale.
And who is to say what that card is worth? Is eBay the bible of card values? A card is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. None of us are the pricing police. With so many variables that make up the price of any particular card let the seller price it how he wants. If it doesn't sell he will either adjust his pricing until it does...or he will keep it.

Quick sales is a gimmick title. It would be like me saying "Hot deals". I doubt the temperature of my cards would have a bearing on whether or not you would buy them so neither should their speed.
Deanninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 07:04 PM   #37 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metsfan311 View Post
I'd just like to put in my .02 though I realize I haven't been around here for long at all and I only have about 20 transactions, all as a buyer.

I just simply think that, as others have said, if the sale does not concern you then just stay out of it. If you have absolutely no intent of even throwing an offer then definitely stay out of it.

The onus is on the buyer to do his/her homework, period. Isn't that how all business is handled or any negotiation? You start high in price and go from there. Reality is, even if you put a price up that was below avg eBay sales over the last few months and well below BV, you're still going to get people that will lowball the hell out of you (which is a pet peeve of mine - if prices are stated as firm then why are you treating it like OBO?).

The thread that was posted as an example - I hate to pick on him but after the offer was made which was $300 below asking price, and it was declined, it's over. Take it to PMs at that point. To me it's almost like "if I'm not going to get this card then no one will." I don't think that was the intent but it came off like that. And then because of these "accusations" you can not only kill a thread, but kill someone's ability to sell for awhile by doing that. You cast doubt like that and everyone starts to get trigger-shy. I think PM'ing someone that posted interest to the effect of "hey just looking out for you...that card normally sells for half of what they're asking" is great! But do it via PMs not publicly. I'm sorry about the length and I know since my post count is so low this probably doesn't hold much weight but I couldn't resist. I think if we started calling everyone out for asking for too much we need to look at the top down, literally. Admittedly, I still have absolutely no idea why Harper and Strasburg cards command so much $, and as an extension guys that have played 20 MLB games or none at all (Bundy, Profar, Manny, etc - they command so much money)! It's crazy that in this world, the "stars" don't seem to be as valuable than the potential stars. Every time i see these cards going for $500, $750, upwards of $1k its just mind-boggling to me. alright now I'm babbling.

P.S. Heresva good example (though admittedly I agree with almost everyone): $10 each Autograph Blowout Sale - Over 1,000 Cards - 1/1's Included
The bolded is all that needs to be said. /endthread
btimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 07:06 PM   #38 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deanninja View Post
And who is to say what that card is worth? Is eBay the bible of card values? A card is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. None of us are the pricing police. With so many variables that make up the price of any particular card let the seller price it how he wants. If it doesn't sell he will either adjust his pricing until it does...or he will keep it.

Quick sales is a gimmick title. It would be like me saying "Hot deals". I doubt the temperature of my cards would have a bearing on whether or not you would buy them so neither should their speed.
It is misleading, that is the issue. Quick sale means they need (prefer) cash now. And yes eBay is a great way to determine values. Why should I buy someones card here for $60 that I can get on eBay for $25? I got attacked last night for offering the eBay average on someones quick sale. That didn't seem right.
Old 12-26-2012, 07:06 PM   #39 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibberish View Post
I see people here who are new/newer to the hobby and they tend to ask a lot. They use the price guide bible and they still may not know a cards value and when someone is silly priced, I see no issue in questioning it openly JUST in the off chance it saves someone from making a mistake

I also understand CK's thoughts,but it still falls down to personal things for me when I got back in. I flat out got raped the 1st few months I was back in cards and I would have been damn happy if someone had intervened and saved me from those types.
DO some research; take the blame. It is YOUR fault that you overpaid for a card, not the seller's.
Old 12-26-2012, 07:11 PM   #40 (permalink)

Also, I see nothing wrong with slightly inflating an asking price. You have to know people are going to offer you something lower than what you wanted, even if you say the price is firm. I sell things on craigslist a fair amount, like guitar equipment, and I always inflate the price by 20% of what I want to sell it for. Every once in a while, I actually get that amount, but the vast majority of the time a buyer offers some number, we negotiate a little, and I get the actual amount I wanted. Listing at a price you will sell for is a good way to make sure you never see that number.
Old 12-26-2012, 07:22 PM   #41 (permalink)

My favorite arguement in the world on this forum, other than how much is too much tape on a toploader, is about being able to get something cheaper on eBay. If YOU can get it cheaper on eBay, then YOU should get your ass to that website and buy it there. It is that simple. It is just that easy.
ilovethelakings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 07:26 PM   #42 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovethelakings View Post
My favorite arguement in the world on this forum, other than how much is too much tape on a toploader, is about being able to get something cheaper on eBay. If YOU can get it cheaper on eBay, then YOU should get your ass to that website and buy it there. It is that simple. It is just that easy.
Exactly, same with selling. If you can get more on eBay, click new tab, spend 2 extra minutes there and boom
Old 12-26-2012, 07:34 PM   #43 (permalink)

[QUOTE=nuccionino;3892480]Exactly, same with selling. If you can get more on eBay, click new tab, spend 2 extra minutes there and boom[/QUOTE]

I tend to do exactly that.
Old 12-27-2012, 12:40 AM   #44 (permalink)

Quote:
Totally agree. Especially on a low numbered card. If I have a Nolan Ryan /5 and want $50 for it, the buyer offers 40 because thats what the last one ended for on Ebay. No more are listed on Ebay, blowout,scf.comc,sports lots,sports buy. You know, most of the mainstream internet sites. I have the only copy for sale at the moment. How exactly can you get it cheaper then $50? Please explain this too me. For all you know another one could pop up tomorrow from another seller and they may want $100 for thier copy. You are just assuming another copy will be available at some point and the seller would be willing to go below the last Ebay sale. Thats alot of assumptions.
Old 12-27-2012, 01:23 AM   #45 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cking View Post
Totally agree. Especially on a low numbered card. If I have a Nolan Ryan /5 and want $50 for it, the buyer offers 40 because thats what the last one ended for on Ebay. No more are listed on Ebay, blowout,scf.comc,sports lots,sports buy. You know, most of the mainstream internet sites. I have the only copy for sale at the moment. How exactly can you get it cheaper then $50? Please explain this too me. For all you know another one could pop up tomorrow from another seller and they may want $100 for thier copy. You are just assuming another copy will be available at some point and the seller would be willing to go below the last Ebay sale. Thats alot of assumptions.
Or worse the buyer wants to pay you only $36 because you are saving on fees
Old 12-27-2012, 03:21 AM   #46 (permalink)

Quote:
Or worse the buyer wants to pay you only $36 because you are saving on fees
Yes, this too. If I had no intention of selling my card on Ebay then how exactly are you saving me Ebay fees? Bottom line Everett, people will do whatever and say anything they can think of to get the card cheaper. Whatever happened to good old fashion hard work and saving up for something you really wanted but was out of your current price range. Everybody seems to have to try and run game on you to save 3 stinking dollars.
Old 12-27-2012, 06:27 AM   #47 (permalink)

When I first started trying to sell someone came onto my thread and lectured me about how high my prices were and that I wouldn't be accepted in this community if I didn't change my ways. Needless to say it pissed me off. I was trying for the first time so they could have been high but the worst part was 2-3 buyers stopped talking to me. And I lost sales. I feel exactly how many have stated, if prices are too high hit the back button. If you really want to "help the seller" pm them.