Blowout Cards Forums

Blowout Cards Forums (http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/)
-   Off Topic (http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/off-topic/)
-   -   A Small Site Etiquette Suggestion (http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/off-topic/375040-small-site-etiquette-suggestion.html)

monkeymcgee 09-27-2012 05:24 PM

A Small Site Etiquette Suggestion

I know we all have our pet peeves. I'd love to get some feedback on this one.

My suggestion is we leave opinions on sellers and their asking prices out of FS threads, unless they are somehow devious, untrustworthy, or have scammed before.

Over and over again I see someone post a FS thread and then people reply talking about how terrible the prices, what a terrible seller this guy is, and other things that seem better suited for PMs or left off completely. If the guy is a scammer, then I have no problem with someone noting that in the thread.

I'm not talking about OBO threads and people making offers. I mean people berating a seller for asking too much without making an offer. Or for non-OBO threads, people offering their opinion on the values when that was not requested by the seller.

Everyone on here is capable of using eBay to check prices. Or BV, if they swing that way. Is there really any need to announce to the world that you disagree with the seller's prices? Especially, those posters who never seem to actually complete a transaction on the site?

If the seller can't move the cards, then they have the needed feedback that their prices may be too high.

It just seems like we could be a little less rude to the people who attempt to sell on here.

Your thoughts?

vatechhokiefan 09-27-2012 05:37 PM

I haven't bought much lately, but I agree. If you don't like the seller's price just go on about your business.

friarbolt 09-27-2012 05:40 PM

I think it depends. Some people deserve it. Yes it's a jerk move to say something like "The average price of the last three on Ebay is $23.50" when the guy wants $26 or something.

On the other hand, take this new thread for example:

[url]http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/football-singles-buy-sell-trade/370379-big-high-end-quick-sales-scan-heavy.html[/url]

This guy it letting us all know about his amazing high-end quick sales with his firm, rock bottom prices that are 4x times what the cards sell for.

And he is totally above ridicule? I don't think so. In a way that belittles everyone on here as if we are not going to notice the price differences because he is hooking us up with great quick sale deals.

The above are two extremes however. If it's somewhere in between I think a helpful suggestion can be okay, maybe not be super mean about it.

Nicnac 09-27-2012 05:40 PM

Is this in basketball because I don't see that sort of thing in non-sport?

Imac7065 09-27-2012 05:43 PM

If someone is asking for 3 or 4 times ebay.. I will say something about it.. if they are slightly above eBay.. that's up to the buyer. I have seen $150 cards listed for $500 before, and people actually inquired.. I can't sit back and watch someone get ripped off like that. You can attack me all you want for it.. but I would hope someone would do me that favor as well

monkeymcgee 09-27-2012 05:59 PM

Some good points have been brought up so far.

I agree that some sellers seem to deserve the smackdown based on their tone or mislabeling things as "quick sales". I've written responses for some of those reasons before, but deleted them before posting. Maybe that feedback is deserved, but ultimately I didn't think that was the place for my comments.

As for helping the other buyers, I can see where you are coming from but why would someone buy anything without checking the going rate first? That astounds me, but I guess it does happen.

Cactuspies 09-27-2012 06:04 PM

[QUOTE=Imac7065;3383601]If someone is asking for 3 or 4 times ebay.. I will say something about it.. if they are slightly above eBay.. that's up to the buyer. I have seen $150 cards listed for $500 before, and people actually inquired.. I can't sit back and watch someone get ripped off like that. You can attack me all you want for it.. but I would hope someone would do me that favor as well[/QUOTE]

I'd just like to bring this one up, not picking on you Imac, but your offer was 170 Less than a current auction. Now I havent done research on this jordan or the auction and I know you are looking to probably resell anyway but it has to fall in the category of what the OP is talking about. I'm even sure I overprice cards when I sell on here, which isn't much anymore, but I'm trying to just open the door and break the Ice.

[url]http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/basketball-singles-buy-sell-trade/374914-fs-86-fleer-jordan-rc-psa-8-a.html[/url]

but yeah there are a ton of overpriced cards listed here and plenty of trolls to jump on sellers

How many of us jump on ebay spam listings too for having high prices, same deal and even on COMC when a card on ebay sells for $3, there are 70000 of them on COMC ranging from $1-$300!

to go w/transaction not completed, I see tons of "I have xxxxx paypal, show me what you got" and NOTHING ever is purchased - we all just waste time scanning, taking pictures, posting and then subscribed to a Richard Heads gallery of our cards., this has to fall under the same rainbow right?

pmannings#1fan 09-27-2012 06:22 PM

I agree with monkey that if someone doesn't like or agree with a sellers' price on here then just move on. It is fairly easy to keep your rude opinions to yourself or at least for most people it is. I set a card price I what I want to or what I think I can get for it. If someone tells me the eBay had 1 sell for a little lower I will politely tell them to have fun searching the bay lol.

Deanninja 09-27-2012 06:49 PM

This subject should be broached as there seems to be no etiquette shown when it comes to this. I've seen several instances of late that were not only rude but didn't make any sense. For example let's say a Demarco Murray Chrome auto is listed for $150. To post in the sellers thread a "Did you buy this on eBay for $120 and expect to make $30?" It could have been poorly listed on eBay - it's not listed on eBay anymore because the seller bought it - so now it can be yours for $150. Is the person buying this card for $150 getting ripped off? Absolutely not. An auction feels more like wholesale to me than retail. Wholesale is an important part of value but there is nothing wrong with retail. The PM feature should be used by the peanut gallery if they feel compelled to share this not so important information with the seller. This has not happened to me but I've seen it plenty and applaud the OP for creating the thread. To post something other than GLWS or something that contributes postively should be frowned upon. I've seen the - hair trigger pouncing of the Blowout pack - on several key faux pas (pack searching for example). If this behaviour was added to the list we would see a whole lot less of it. Profit is not a dirty word.

tajikey 09-27-2012 06:58 PM

I'm in agreement with this. I'll purposely price cards higher than the going rate, and say firm, to gauge reaction. Most of the time, the cards I "overprice" aren't items I necessarily need to move, but will definitely entertain voyeurs.

MI Rob 09-27-2012 07:12 PM

Better than the amount of "Did I overpay?" threads around here.

MetDude 09-27-2012 07:19 PM

[QUOTE=tajikey;3384028]will definitely entertain voyeurs.[/QUOTE]

sorry but the full on action on 42nd st 20 years ago could not be beat.

ilovethelakings 09-27-2012 08:08 PM

If you don't like or agree with a price, shut your frickin' mouth and move on or PM the seller to ask why he is asking so much. People, like the guy with the computer name, who think they need to post anything at all regarding prices in another person's sales thread really mind their own business.

cking 09-28-2012 01:38 AM

[QUOTE=Imac7065;3383601]If someone is asking for 3 or 4 times ebay.. I will say something about it.. if they are slightly above eBay.. that's up to the buyer. I have seen $150 cards listed for $500 before, and people actually inquired.. I can't sit back and watch someone get ripped off like that. You can attack me all you want for it.. but I would hope someone would do me that favor as well[/QUOTE]

By no means am I trying to start an argument here but if I am willing to pay $500 for a card that normally sells in the $150 dollar range how is that any of your business? If a seller has a $500 offer on a card that does not normally sell for that much then good for him. Its called making money. If a buyer does not do the proper research on a card before purchasing then thats on them if they over pay. If you did this to someone on this site and cost them $350 dollars on a sale you would be run off this site very fast. It is none of yours or anyone elses business what someone pays for or sells a card for on here. Just because a card normally sells in the $150 dollar range does not mean other copies of that card are valued at $150 dollars.The other copies of the card that sold at $150 are only examples of what some sellers were willing to sell thier card for. Its does not make the price set in stone on the next copy. They are valued at whatever a buyer is willing to pay and if the buyer has no problem paying over Ebay it is not your place to intervene. Especially if its not your transaction. What are you a card price Robin Hood? If you wanna stay a member in good standing on this site I would highly, highly reccommend you never involve yourself in the negotiations of card prices between buyers and sellers on here if the transaction does not involve you.

ilovethelakings 09-28-2012 01:48 AM

[QUOTE=cking;3386411]By no means am I trying to start an argument here but if I am willing to pay $500 for a card that normally sells in the $150 dollar range how is that any of your business? If a seller has a $500 offer on a card that does not normally sell for that much then good for him. Its called making money. If a buyer does not do the proper research on a card before purchasing then thats on them if they over pay. If you did this to someone on this site and cost them $350 dollars on a sale you would be run off this site very fast. It is none of yours or anyone elses business what someone pays for or sells a card for on here. Just because a card normally sells in the $150 dollar range does not mean other copies of that card are valued at $150 dollars.The other copies of the card that sold at $150 are only examples of what some sellers were willing to sell thier card for. Its does not make the price set in stone on the next copy. They are valued at whatever a buyer is willing to pay and if the buyer has no problem paying over Ebay it is not your place to intervene. Especially if its not your transaction. What are you a card price Robin Hood? If you wanna stay a member in good standing on this site I would highly, highly reccommend you never involve yourself in the negotiations of card prices between buyers and sellers on here if the transaction does not involve you.[/QUOTE]

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v305/pathtosomewhere/GIFs/GIFS2/1225.gif[/IMG]

Metsfan311 09-28-2012 02:17 AM

I'd just like to put in my .02 though I realize I haven't been around here for long at all and I only have about 20 transactions, all as a buyer.

I just simply think that, as others have said, if the sale does not concern you then just stay out of it. If you have absolutely no intent of even throwing an offer then definitely stay out of it.

The onus is on the buyer to do his/her homework, period. Isn't that how all business is handled or any negotiation? You start high in price and go from there. Reality is, even if you put a price up that was below avg eBay sales over the last few months and well below BV, you're still going to get people that will lowball the hell out of you (which is a pet peeve of mine - if prices are stated as firm then why are you treating it like OBO?).

The thread that was posted as an example - I hate to pick on him but after the offer was made which was $300 below asking price, and it was declined, it's over. Take it to PMs at that point. To me it's almost like "if I'm not going to get this card then no one will." I don't think that was the intent but it came off like that. And then because of these "accusations" you can not only kill a thread, but kill someone's ability to sell for awhile by doing that. You cast doubt like that and everyone starts to get trigger-shy. I think PM'ing someone that posted interest to the effect of "hey just looking out for you...that card normally sells for half of what they're asking" is great! But do it via PMs not publicly. I'm sorry about the length and I know since my post count is so low this probably doesn't hold much weight but I couldn't resist. I think if we started calling everyone out for asking for too much we need to look at the top down, literally. Admittedly, I still have absolutely no idea why Harper and Strasburg cards command so much $, and as an extension guys that have played 20 MLB games or none at all (Bundy, Profar, Manny, etc - they command so much money)! It's crazy that in this world, the "stars" don't seem to be as valuable than the potential stars. Every time i see these cards going for $500, $750, upwards of $1k its just mind-boggling to me. alright now I'm babbling. :)

P.S. Heresva good example (though admittedly I agree with almost everyone): [url]http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/baseball-singles-buy-sell-trade/374585-10-each-autograph-blowout-sale-over-1-000-cards-1-1s-included.html[/url]

jlzinck 09-28-2012 08:07 AM

It's the potential buyers who carry some of the blame as well.

Communication is the key.

If as a seller I want an offer I will post $100/OBO

If I want the $100 I post that price.

In both cases people will ask what is the lowest you will go.

Well the answer is simple. In example #1 I will take the best offer.
In example #2 it's $100

Buyers are as much to blame.

And if people are buying to resell great for them. I have sold items like that before BUT I would rather sell to a collector for $35 than to a reseller for $35.

ronlabo 09-28-2012 09:03 AM

[QUOTE=cking;3386411]By no means am I trying to start an argument here but if I am willing to pay $500 for a card that normally sells in the $150 dollar range how is that any of your business? If a seller has a $500 offer on a card that does not normally sell for that much then good for him. Its called making money. If a buyer does not do the proper research on a card before purchasing then thats on them if they over pay. If you did this to someone on this site and cost them $350 dollars on a sale you would be run off this site very fast. It is none of yours or anyone elses business what someone pays for or sells a card for on here. Just because a card normally sells in the $150 dollar range does not mean other copies of that card are valued at $150 dollars.The other copies of the card that sold at $150 are only examples of what some sellers were willing to sell thier card for. Its does not make the price set in stone on the next copy. They are valued at whatever a buyer is willing to pay and if the buyer has no problem paying over Ebay it is not your place to intervene. Especially if its not your transaction. [B][COLOR="Red"]What are you a card price Robin Hood? [/COLOR][/B]If you wanna stay a member in good standing on this site I would highly, highly reccommend you never involve yourself in the negotiations of card prices between buyers and sellers on here if the transaction does not involve you.[/QUOTE]

I guess she told you, WTG Crystal he's the single biggest lowballer on the site and always has something to say :rolleyes:

Ps...Card price Robin Hood one of the best phrases I've heard used on here in awhile HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA :)!

Gibberish 09-28-2012 10:31 AM

I see people here who are new/newer to the hobby and they tend to ask a lot. They use the price guide bible and they still may not know a cards value and when someone is silly priced, I see no issue in questioning it openly JUST in the off chance it saves someone from making a mistake

I also understand CK's thoughts,but it still falls down to personal things for me when I got back in. I flat out got raped the 1st few months I was back in cards and I would have been damn happy if someone had intervened and saved me from those types.

ilovethelakings 09-28-2012 11:46 AM

[QUOTE=Gibberish;3386959]I see people here who are new/newer to the hobby and they tend to ask a lot. They use the price guide bible and they still may not know a cards value and when someone is silly priced, I see no issue in questioning it openly JUST in the off chance it saves someone from making a mistake

I also understand CK's thoughts,but it still falls down to personal things for me when I got back in. I flat out got raped the 1st few months I was back in cards and I would have been damn happy if someone had intervened and saved me from those types.[/QUOTE]

Raped, huh? So you were forced to buy the cards against your will and you've been permanently scarred by the experienced? Everybody's overpaid on some cards, be it on here, eBay, at a show, or at a card shop. In the end, the question is were you happy with the price at that time. Sure later on down the road you might kick yourself for paying a few bucks more than you should had, but if that's just how this hobby goes. I've "overpaid" for a few Garret Anderson, Chone Figgins, and Tim Salmon cards a few years ago when I was just getting back into the hobby, but you'll never hear me bitch about it because they are part of my PC and aren't going anywhere soon. When in doubt, use a PM to ask WHY a seller is asking as much as he is. If you disagree with a seller's prices, just move the hell on. Just don't screw with a seller's thread. If the cards cost too much, the thread will pretty much die out by itself with anyone's "help". Looks like we've found this forum's Little John to Imac's Robin Hood. :rolleyes:

uberfatty 09-28-2012 12:39 PM

I'll admit I get sucked into the vortex every so often and can make a snide comment or two at a seller (never at a potential buyer to disrupt a potential sale though), but you make some good points and I'll try to refrain from doing so in the future.

Gibberish 09-28-2012 05:24 PM

[QUOTE=ilovethelakings;3387151]Raped, huh? So you were forced to buy the cards against your will and you've been permanently scarred by the experienced? Everybody's overpaid on some cards, be it on here, eBay, at a show, or at a card shop. In the end, the question is were you happy with the price at that time. Sure later on down the road you might kick yourself for paying a few bucks more than you should had, but if that's just how this hobby goes. I've "overpaid" for a few Garret Anderson, Chone Figgins, and Tim Salmon cards a few years ago when I was just getting back into the hobby, but you'll never hear me bitch about it because they are part of my PC and aren't going anywhere soon. When in doubt, use a PM to ask WHY a seller is asking as much as he is. If you disagree with a seller's prices, just move the hell on. Just don't screw with a seller's thread. If the cards cost too much, the thread will pretty much die out by itself with anyone's "help". Looks like we've found this forum's Little John to Imac's Robin Hood. :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

EDIT:Forget all of that
here is the break down

You justify
Lying
Cheating
Stealing
Your logic is it is not the bad guys fault,but the other persons for not knowing any better and if they made the deal sound good and you agreed,then you are a moron for having an issue later..
GOT IT

Deanninja 09-28-2012 06:40 PM

I can't help but notice a difference of opinion when it comes to this. I recognize the desire to somehow protect an uneducated buyer from an unscrupulous seller. I just have a problem with the "Pricing Police" posting the current or most recent eBay sales in someones sale thread. Maybe with a little discretion we can allow for the potential buyers to not get ripped off and the sellers to get top dollar.

cking 09-28-2012 06:42 PM

[QUOTE=Gibberish;3388684]EDIT:Forget all of that
here is the break down

You justify
Lying
Cheating
Stealing
Your logic is it is not the bad guys fault,but the other persons for not knowing any better and if they made the deal sound good and you agreed,then you are a moron for having an issue later..
GOT IT[/QUOTE]

No one said anything about lying to anyone so I am not sure where you are getting that from. Let me put a diffrent spin on it. If someone I dont know with 2 feedback on here is selling a card for 50 dollars and RonLabo is selling the same card for 65 dollars I would have no problem paying the extra 15 dollars because I know I am not gonna get robbed and get great service from Ron. [B]Would it be another members place to tell Ron he is charging too much or to tell me I am paying too much because the last copy of that card ended for 50 on Ebay? [/B]I would actually like some others thoughts on this. Buyers ultimetly determine the value of all cards.

monkeymcgee 09-28-2012 06:52 PM

[QUOTE=cking;3389044]No one said anything about lying to anyone so I am not sure where you are getting that from. Let me put a diffrent spin on it. If someone I dont know with 2 feedback on here is selling a card for 50 dollars and RonLabo is selling the same card for 65 dollars I would have no problem paying the extra 15 dollars because I know I am not gonna get robbed and get great service from Ron. [B]Would it be another members place to tell Ron he is charging too much or to tell me I am paying too much because the last copy of that card ended for 50 on Ebay? [/B]I would actually like some others thoughts on this. Buyers ultimetly determine the value of all cards.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I mean it's one thing to see someone getting the full-on heavy pressure sales treatment to buy something for too much money and helping the person out, but I don't really see that going on here. It's more like, "here's my cards, here's my price, let's make a deal." There's plenty of opportunity for the buyer to research the cards being sold and they can decide if they agree with the price. I just don't see how that's the board's responsibility.