Blowout Cards Forums
New Categories

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Off Topic

Off Topic This section may contain threads that are NSFW. This section is given a bit of leeway on some of the rules and so you may see some mild language and even some risqué images. Please no threads about race, religion, politics, or sexual orientation. Please no self promotion, sign up, or fundraising threads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2012, 09:44 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Need stock tips: how to do research, etc.

Hey all,

I have some money lying around in an investment fund. I want to put it all in one or two stocks (willing to take risk here). No mutual funds.

I need some advice on how to research and pick good stocks. I have been playing around on yahoo stocks, but I don't want to put it all in one stock based on a whim.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
password- jetscollector
jetscollector10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:30 AM   #2 (permalink)

Impossible to do (promise a guarantee). Anyone who tells you otherwise is a liar or an insider.
fullmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:47 PM   #3 (permalink)

The best I can do is to give you a reading list. Here are a few books that I've found to be good:

The Intelligent Investor by Benjamin Graham - a classic of value/fundamentals investing, written by the guy who taught Warren Buffett how to invest. It can be pretty dry at times and given the time it was written, it puts a bit too much importance on railroads, but still has a lot of useful concepts.

Beating the Street by Peter Lynch - another one of the all-time great investors gives his own methods. Much more readable than Graham.

The Streetsmart Guide to Valuing A Stock by Gray, Cusatis and Woolridge - a nice guide to the techniques professionals use to estimate a stock's value given its expected earnings, interest rates, etc. More interesting than it sounds like it would be.

Rule #1 by Phil Town - puts together fundamentals, technicals and valuation techniques to create a simple but effective methodology. The method tends to pick very few stocks as it's fairly conservative, so you may spend a lot of time waiting for something to show up on the buy list. Also, Town often makes up his own words for things rather than using the correct terminology, and it can feel like you're being talked down to. Still a good book to read and understand though.

A few web sites to read up on:
minyanville.com - this site has the stated purpose of educating investors. It's a pretty good resource for commentary and tutorials, although I often find that I don't agree with the conclusions of its founder.

seekingalpha.com - a site full of user-contributed content. As such the quality of the content varies quite a bit, but don't let that fool you - there are some very insightful people writing there, many of whom are professional investors themselves.

On TV, CNBC generally has good market commentary, although they can get a bit too political at times. In particular I like Fast Money (2PM PST/5PM EST), a show featuring basically 4 traders sitting at a desk and discussing the events of the day and how to trade them. If you're an early riser (I'm not), the calm/serious version of Jim Cramer who shows up for Squawk Box (morning show, around 8AM EST I think) can be very insightful, believe it or not.
iwantedapeanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 01:01 PM   #4 (permalink)

Yeah, this is perfect thanks. I expect to do a lot of reading of books and blogs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantedapeanut View Post
The best I can do is to give you a reading list. Here are a few books that I've found to be good:

The Intelligent Investor by Benjamin Graham - a classic of value/fundamentals investing, written by the guy who taught Warren Buffett how to invest. It can be pretty dry at times and given the time it was written, it puts a bit too much importance on railroads, but still has a lot of useful concepts.

Beating the Street by Peter Lynch - another one of the all-time great investors gives his own methods. Much more readable than Graham.

The Streetsmart Guide to Valuing A Stock by Gray, Cusatis and Woolridge - a nice guide to the techniques professionals use to estimate a stock's value given its expected earnings, interest rates, etc. More interesting than it sounds like it would be.

Rule #1 by Phil Town - puts together fundamentals, technicals and valuation techniques to create a simple but effective methodology. The method tends to pick very few stocks as it's fairly conservative, so you may spend a lot of time waiting for something to show up on the buy list. Also, Town often makes up his own words for things rather than using the correct terminology, and it can feel like you're being talked down to. Still a good book to read and understand though.

A few web sites to read up on:
minyanville.com - this site has the stated purpose of educating investors. It's a pretty good resource for commentary and tutorials, although I often find that I don't agree with the conclusions of its founder.

seekingalpha.com - a site full of user-contributed content. As such the quality of the content varies quite a bit, but don't let that fool you - there are some very insightful people writing there, many of whom are professional investors themselves.

On TV, CNBC generally has good market commentary, although they can get a bit too political at times. In particular I like Fast Money (2PM PST/5PM EST), a show featuring basically 4 traders sitting at a desk and discussing the events of the day and how to trade them. If you're an early riser (I'm not), the calm/serious version of Jim Cramer who shows up for Squawk Box (morning show, around 8AM EST I think) can be very insightful, believe it or not.
password- jetscollector
jetscollector10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 01:07 PM   #5 (permalink)

Also, watch the stocks you are interested in. Study them. Look at their history. Look at related stocks. Read up on the companies and their rivals and associates. What products are coming from them that might raise the value or lower it if they at not good. What products are their rivals working on that might affect your investment.

Most important, as someone said up there, don't buy the 'guaranteed double your money!' spiel from anyone, even friends and family. These things don't have to be said with evil intent. They could be honest mistakes but mistakes don't get your money back.

When you feel confident, tips can be invaluable. You hear about a sure thing, and you investigate it yourself. "Nope, it's hogwash", be confident if you listen but ignore the advice even if that stock rockets up. "Yup, there's something there", be confident in your experience even if the stock tanks. You win some, you lose some. Learn from it and move on.

The trick is to win more than you lose.
Nicnac is offline   Reply With Quote