Blowout Cards Forums
New Categories

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Off Topic

Off Topic This section may contain threads that are NSFW. This section is given a bit of leeway on some of the rules and so you may see some mild language and even some risqué images. Please no threads about race, religion, politics, or sexual orientation. Please no self promotion, sign up, or fundraising threads.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2012, 06:40 PM   #26 (permalink)
Member
 
Weiss19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Montreal, Canada / New York, NY
Posts: 2,539
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major_League View Post
Roll away. His logic is flawed that's all I was trying to say.
Laugh, great comparison

If this is your profession and you're required to perform at a certain level that is only possible with doping.. You're going to dope to make a living.

Is doping wrong? Obviously. Does it screw me over as an amateur cyclist that wants to go pro.. Yes. When you're at the top level though it's easier said than done to walk away and be the 'good' guy.

At least understand what the sport was at the time.

At the end of the day because he doped he won and because he was famous he did a lot of good. He was stripped of his titles and everyone knows the truth now. I would say it's a good thing he doped.

F%^% Cancer.
__________________
I collect LeSean McCoy and Jeremy Maclin.

My Bucket
http://s788.photobucket.com/albums/yy166/Weiss19/Personal%20Collection/LeSean%20McCoy%20PC/

Last edited by Weiss19; 10-11-2012 at 06:46 PM.
Weiss19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 06:45 PM   #27 (permalink)
Member
 
Major_League's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 8,589
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weiss19 View Post
Laugh, great comparison

If this is your profession and you're required to perform at a certain level that is only possible with doping.. You're going to dope to make a living.

Is doping wrong? Obviously. Does it screw me over as an amateur cyclist that wants to go pro.. Yes. When you're at the top level though it's easier said than done to walk away and be the 'good' guy.

At least understand what the sport was at the time.
Didn't your mommy ever tell you...27 wrongs don't make a right!

I've heard it all before. Everyone told me i'd never make it in my profession. Far too competitive they said. LOL! I made it. How? By cheating? Doing what everyone else was doing? Nope. Hard work, being different, and ambition. Sorry but this argument is well ridiculous.
Major_League is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 07:06 PM   #28 (permalink)
Member
 
Weiss19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Montreal, Canada / New York, NY
Posts: 2,539
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major_League View Post
Didn't your mommy ever tell you...27 wrongs don't make a right!

I've heard it all before. Everyone told me i'd never make it in my profession. Far too competitive they said. LOL! I made it. How? By cheating? Doing what everyone else was doing? Nope. Hard work, being different, and ambition. Sorry but this argument is well ridiculous.
You're from Toronto.. This explains everything!

I didn't know belly dancing was that competitive!

We get it, doping is bad. Just because others do it doesn't make it right. BUT, I do understand why they had to if they were going to compete. You hit a plateau and there's only one way to get through it, not hard work or ambition.. DRUGS.

They were all caught though, reputations tarnished so end of story.

Cheers bud,
__________________
I collect LeSean McCoy and Jeremy Maclin.

My Bucket
http://s788.photobucket.com/albums/yy166/Weiss19/Personal%20Collection/LeSean%20McCoy%20PC/
Weiss19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 12:51 PM   #29 (permalink)
Member
 
xbignick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 13,095
Default

Source: Lance Armstrong plans to admit doping to Oprah
__________________
@xxbignick on twitter!
Current Non-Sports FS Thread including Game of Thrones, The Walking Dead, Sons of Anarchy and more! http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/non-sports-singles-buy-sell-trade/786317-updated-fs-thread-sons-anarchy-walking-dead-game-thrones-breaking-bad-etc.html
xbignick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 03:24 PM   #30 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 12,477
Default

Just an FYI.. only pennies on the dollar went to fighting cancer during the live strong campaign.

Lance is a sore on the sport hands down.
Orangejello727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 03:31 PM   #31 (permalink)
Member
 
JosieD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 4,116
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangejello727 View Post
Just an FYI.. only pennies on the dollar went to fighting cancer during the live strong campaign.

Lance is a sore on the sport hands down.
The point of the Livestrong foundation is to help those suffering from Cancer that is why money is not spend on research. By helping those in need, you are essentially helping fight cancer.

My whole thing is, his body was significantly changed from the chemotherapy and radiation. My body is nowhere near the same as it was pre-diagnosis. For him to even be able to compete on a competitive level is very impressive. I am not saying one way or the other if he doped but to me it seems like someone really has a huge vendetta against him.
__________________
Leukemia and Lymphoma Society; #TEAMCONNOR, Mental Health Awareness, St. Jude's Children's Hospital
"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery while on a detour." ~Author Unknown
JosieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 03:34 PM   #32 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host
 
mgugs46's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Posts: 13,206
Send a message via AIM to mgugs46
Default

Armstrong is a scumbag, plain and simple. Yes, he started a charity for cancer AFTER he got it. Wow, congrats. How admirable. It's not like he gave a #@#@#@#@ before. On top of that only a small percentage went to actual research. His entire life is a sham.

Bonds, Clemens, etc get vilified for PED use, yet this guy cheats and its all good because he had cancer. Maybe if Bonds or Clemens got cancer theyd have more support
__________________
Buying rare 90's inserts of Pedro Martinez, Nomar Garciaparra and other Red Sox/star players

Always looking for PEDRO MARTINEZ patches/autos
mgugs46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 03:36 PM   #33 (permalink)
Member
 
JosieD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 4,116
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgugs46 View Post
Armstrong is a scumbag, plain and simple. Yes, he started a charity for cancer AFTER he got it. Wow, congrats. How admirable. It's not like he gave a #@#@#@#@ before. On top of that only a small percentage went to actual research. His entire life is a sham.

Bonds, Clemens, etc get vilified for PED use, yet this guy cheats and its all good because he had cancer. Maybe if Bonds or Clemens got cancer theyd have more support
The purpose of the Livestrong organization isnt about actual research. It is about enhancing the life of cancer survivors. He is looking out for people affected rather than putting money into something that so many other organizations already receive funding for.
__________________
Leukemia and Lymphoma Society; #TEAMCONNOR, Mental Health Awareness, St. Jude's Children's Hospital
"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery while on a detour." ~Author Unknown
JosieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 04:03 PM   #34 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host
 
mgugs46's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Posts: 13,206
Send a message via AIM to mgugs46
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosieDively View Post
The purpose of the Livestrong organization isnt about actual research. It is about enhancing the life of cancer survivors. He is looking out for people affected rather than putting money into something that so many other organizations already receive funding for.
Again, AFTER he had cancer and beat it. Yippee for him. I don't see how this makes him a saint. If he started a fund without suffering from cancer, I'd see the heroism there. That would be like if I was a millionaire, all of a sudden got some terrible disease and then decided I want to start a charity for it. These people are all phonies.
__________________
Buying rare 90's inserts of Pedro Martinez, Nomar Garciaparra and other Red Sox/star players

Always looking for PEDRO MARTINEZ patches/autos
mgugs46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 04:10 PM   #35 (permalink)
Member
 
JosieD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 4,116
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgugs46 View Post
Again, AFTER he had cancer and beat it. Yippee for him. I don't see how this makes him a saint. If he started a fund without suffering from cancer, I'd see the heroism there. That would be like if I was a millionaire, all of a sudden got some terrible disease and then decided I want to start a charity for it. These people are all phonies.
I am by no means saying he is a saint. He is in a position, or at least was, to raise awareness and help those affected.

I campaign endlessly for a cure but I only did stuff with the MS Society prior to being diagnosed. Am I a fraud?
__________________
Leukemia and Lymphoma Society; #TEAMCONNOR, Mental Health Awareness, St. Jude's Children's Hospital
"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery while on a detour." ~Author Unknown
JosieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 04:16 PM   #36 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host
 
mgugs46's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Posts: 13,206
Send a message via AIM to mgugs46
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosieDively View Post
I am by no means saying he is a saint. He is in a position, or at least was, to raise awareness and help those affected.

I campaign endlessly for a cure but I only did stuff with the MS Society prior to being diagnosed. Am I a fraud?
No, you're not a fraud. For one, I'll assume you don't have millions of dollars and the need to donate large amounts to avoid higher taxes. Two, you were already involved in a charity prior to any diagnosis, whereas to my knowledge LA did not promote anything before his cancer diagnosis - though I could be wrong.

My biggest gripe with him is he's a cheater yet constantly is praised bc he had cancer and started his live strong while guys who use PEDs in MLB like Bonds are viewed as terrible and constantly vilified.
__________________
Buying rare 90's inserts of Pedro Martinez, Nomar Garciaparra and other Red Sox/star players

Always looking for PEDRO MARTINEZ patches/autos
mgugs46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 04:18 PM   #37 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 3,141
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgugs46 View Post
Again, AFTER he had cancer and beat it. Yippee for him. I don't see how this makes him a saint. If he started a fund without suffering from cancer, I'd see the heroism there. That would be like if I was a millionaire, all of a sudden got some terrible disease and then decided I want to start a charity for it. These people are all phonies.
Have you had cancer? Have you had testicular cancer? No? Then who the hell are you to put him down for starting his foundation if it was before or after he had cancer?

Believe it or not, he was a huge inspiration to many that had cancer or were dealing with it.

Is he a cheater, apparently he is. Does that lessen the hope/inspiration people found in his story that were dealing or had dealt with cancer? Not for me it doesn't.

Of course going forward....well I don't think many will find inspiration or hope. But back in the day, it was very helpful for many.
sdoug76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 04:18 PM   #38 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 12,477
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosieDively View Post
I am by no means saying he is a saint. He is in a position, or at least was, to raise awareness and help those affected.

I campaign endlessly for a cure but I only did stuff with the MS Society prior to being diagnosed. Am I a fraud?
I wasnt putting down the efforts of helping cancer patients or cancer in general. I actually think he did it to disguise his cheating in the sport and a way for him to deflect scepticism by having a good will charity while doping. IM putting down Lance Armstrong for lieing, cheating and stealing to get what he wanted. Thats not the same as me saying I hate people who help cancer patients.

If Bernie Madoff gave $50 million dollars to cancer, would his ponzi scheme be okay with you as well?
Orangejello727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 04:21 PM   #39 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 12,477
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdoug76 View Post
Have you had cancer? Have you had testicular cancer? No? Then who the hell are you to put him down for starting his foundation if it was before or after he had cancer?

Believe it or not, he was a huge inspiration to many that had cancer or were dealing with it.

Is he a cheater, apparently he is. Does that lessen the hope/inspiration people found in his story that were dealing or had dealt with cancer? Not for me it doesn't.
Really?

So what you are saying is you can lie cheat, and steal but if you do a good thing it should all be forgotten.

Saddam himself gave charity to those in need. But you still see him as an evil dictator dont you? But but he gave money to poor people?
Orangejello727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 04:28 PM   #40 (permalink)
Member
 
JosieD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 4,116
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgugs46 View Post
No, you're not a fraud. For one, I'll assume you don't have millions of dollars and the need to donate large amounts to avoid higher taxes. Two, you were already involved in a charity prior to any diagnosis, whereas to my knowledge LA did not promote anything before his cancer diagnosis - though I could be wrong.

My biggest gripe with him is he's a cheater yet constantly is praised bc he had cancer and started his live strong while guys who use PEDs in MLB like Bonds are viewed as terrible and constantly vilified.
Having cancer and starting Livestrong is totally seperate from using PEDs while he cycled.

Barry Bonds also has a charity. People need to use their position of influence for the greater good.
__________________
Leukemia and Lymphoma Society; #TEAMCONNOR, Mental Health Awareness, St. Jude's Children's Hospital
"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery while on a detour." ~Author Unknown
JosieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 04:32 PM   #41 (permalink)
Member
 
JosieD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 4,116
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangejello727 View Post
I wasnt putting down the efforts of helping cancer patients or cancer in general. I actually think he did it to disguise his cheating in the sport and a way for him to deflect scepticism by having a good will charity while doping. IM putting down Lance Armstrong for lieing, cheating and stealing to get what he wanted. Thats not the same as me saying I hate people who help cancer patients.

If Bernie Madoff gave $50 million dollars to cancer, would his ponzi scheme be okay with you as well?
No, it would not because he ruined peoples lives. He took some people to the cleaners while continuing to allow them to bankroll his lifestyle.
__________________
Leukemia and Lymphoma Society; #TEAMCONNOR, Mental Health Awareness, St. Jude's Children's Hospital
"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery while on a detour." ~Author Unknown
JosieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 04:35 PM   #42 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host
 
mgugs46's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Posts: 13,206
Send a message via AIM to mgugs46
Default

I don't need cancer to realize Armstrong is a fraud. Was it inspirational at the time? Of course. Just like Jon Lester's comeback. If Lester wound up the best SP in all of baseball by way of cheating, sort of makes it less inspirational imo is all I was saying.
__________________
Buying rare 90's inserts of Pedro Martinez, Nomar Garciaparra and other Red Sox/star players

Always looking for PEDRO MARTINEZ patches/autos
mgugs46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 04:44 PM   #43 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 12,477
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosieDively View Post
No, it would not because he ruined peoples lives. He took some people to the cleaners while continuing to allow them to bankroll his lifestyle.
And you dont think Lance Armstrong poached sympathy of his story by doping for his cause to become a sports hero? The cause might be good, but his actions cannot negate his cheating and morals!
Orangejello727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 04:57 PM   #44 (permalink)
Member
 
JosieD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 4,116
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangejello727 View Post
And you dont think Lance Armstrong poached sympathy of his story by doping for his cause to become a sports hero? The cause might be good, but his actions cannot negate his cheating and morals!
I don't know how to respond to this without us going back and forth and I really don't want that.

Best wishes,
Josie
__________________
Leukemia and Lymphoma Society; #TEAMCONNOR, Mental Health Awareness, St. Jude's Children's Hospital
"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery while on a detour." ~Author Unknown
JosieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:15 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO
Copyright © 2013, Blowout Cards Inc.