Blowout Cards Forums
eBay Front Page (card ed)

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Off Topic

Off Topic This section may contain threads that are NSFW. This section is given a bit of leeway on some of the rules and so you may see some mild language and even some risqué images. Please no threads about race, religion, politics, or sexual orientation. Please no self promotion, sign up, or fundraising threads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2012, 12:08 PM   #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to iluvfish2 Send a message via Yahoo to iluvfish2
Default Duck Hunting 2012-2013 Season

Figured I'd opt for this thread title and if anyone wants to add to it feel free (also already have my 2012 Year of the Dawg Thread - but honestly thats dedicated to my dogs (or anyones elses if they wish). Since so far this year for duck season I'm kind of the dog or have been helping them, havent been mr. johnny on the spot with my camera.

Last Saturday Oct 6 was our opener. Was out in Linwood. Opted to try to go locally on Saturday since we didnt have anyone up doing any recon (michigan is in an huge drought and a lot of launches are well out of the water, some areas are not navigable via a normal boat (need say a mud motor or something that's drafting very little water - not a 19 ft boat that drafts 2+ ft of water). So we drove past the launch into the mud flats and hand launched 2 layout boats which 2 guys used, the other 2 guys could swap out later but we hid in the reeds. End result...should of slept in. No birds no shots...thankfully Goose Chili for dinner and life goes on.

Sunday Oct 7

Opted to go to a new place (launched from Saginaw River) near day break once again no recon but with daylight figured we were going to broke!

Finally found just a few birds feeding - all bluebills by the way

The three of us almost limited out Sad to say we lost 5 birds (if you've hunted divers you know this is the risk you run as they are tough birds and the wind, waves, and depths (3-6 ft) make wading difficult, but did get 10 birds. One being this year and a half old Drake Canvasback and a shot of a drake and hen bluebill. Also got a few black scooters.

Sad to say that the my buddy and his boat headed south that evening.

Monday Oct. 8, 2012:

However said bounty of birds convinced another hunting buddy to stay the night and we'd try again the next morning. Well more sun, less wind made for a less than active day even being another 1/2 mile out into the bay. But we manged quality over quantity with 3 birds, the prize being an older more mature drake Canvasback (keeping in mind here this are still a prized bird as they are only one per day and one per possession).

Hoping this weekends even better!
Old 10-12-2012, 12:23 PM   #2 (permalink)

Thanks for sharing your stories. It's always fun to read about other peoples hunting and fishing stories and results. I've went thru a lot of steel trying to round up those tough divers and know exactly what you're talking about. Good luck with the upcoming weekend.
jusdukky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 01:39 PM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to iluvfish2 Send a message via Yahoo to iluvfish2
Default Oct 14, 2012 Photos

Just cant beat a good sunrise

Now only if I could get those guys up before dawn....

Had some light rain and wind pretty much all day so lots of movement in the spread.

If we're short on bluebills next year I will have to take the blame. We saw only one drake all day and missed him.

Oh yeah if anyone see's one of these for sale (Official name is Duck Wrangler), preferably same size/setup (19' w/counsil and outboard but willing to consider a mudmotor) please let me know. really like this setup and thankfully I'll be seeing more of it.