Blowout Cards Forums
Labor Day

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Off Topic

Off Topic This section may contain threads that are NSFW. This section is given a bit of leeway on some of the rules and so you may see some mild language and even some risqué images. Please no threads about race, religion, politics, or sexual orientation. Please no self promotion, sign up, or fundraising threads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2012, 03:57 PM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nephinfan View Post
Ok, well, as I was reading, I just kept thinking how this shouldn't be about how much money can be profited from this awful experience. Shouldn't getting enough to pay for the bills and loss of income be the major concerns? Not making anything extra? If this is about making extra "fun" money, I certainly wouldn't be advertising it.

Again, I could be interpreting this incorrectly.
Nobody is profiting lol.

If somebody hits you and throws your life upside down you should be fairly compensated for that. Right?
Major_League is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 04:00 PM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divino View Post
yep you're right on the money. 33% plus any additional "costs" (medical reports, sending the secretary to the copy machine, etc.) up to 40% total.
The key is to start high & then negotiate down to what you & your lawyer believes is fair. Insurance companies are the most greedy b@stards there are so they will only want to give you the minimum. Medical bills, loss of work, etc.
pmannings#1fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 04:01 PM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major_League View Post
Nobody is profiting lol.

If somebody hits you and throws your life upside down you should be fairly compensated for that.
Yes, for the bills & loss of income. Not all accidents turn a person's life upside down (not that I'm trying to down play what happened to the OP). If this were life changing, then yes, but I don't think the OP here is going to be deathly afraid of cars or driving one again. There's a difference in severity in my opinion. Should you get something? Sure, but maybe not always enough to buy a new car.

I've been in 2 serious car accidents that were 100% the other party's fault. I got enough to pay for damages, med. bills and that's about it. I'm fine and didn't make a dime off of it. I didn't have my life turned upside down.

So, in a sense, yes it could be profiting. "Pain and suffering" is a very broad label.

Last edited by nephinfan; 10-12-2012 at 04:05 PM.
nephinfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 04:01 PM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmannings#1fan View Post
The key is to start high & then negotiate down to what you & your lawyer believes is fair. Insurance companies are the most greedy b@stards there are so they will only want to give you the minimum. Medical bills, loss of work, etc.
Agreed. Dirty dirty business.
Major_League is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 04:05 PM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nephinfan View Post
Yes, for the bills & loss of income. Not all accidents turn a person's life upside down (not that I'm trying to down play what happened to the OP). If this were life changing, then yes, but I don't think the OP here is going to be deathly afraid of cars or driving one again. There's a difference in severity in my opinion. Should you get something? Sure, but maybe not always enough to buy a new car.

I've been in 2 serious car accidents that were 100% the other party's fault. I got enough to pay for damages, med. bills and that's about it. I'm fine and didn't make a dime off of it. I didn't have my life turned upside down.
I would say it was definitely life changing. I lost my spot on the Titan National powerlifting team, and you won't see me on any mopeds or motorcycles any time soon (probably never again).

PC: Zach Ertz Philadelphia Eagles
Divino is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 04:05 PM   #31 (permalink)

Quote:
Nobody is profiting lol.

If somebody hits you and throws your life upside down you should be fairly compensated for that. Right?
You can bet your sweet as$ I'd be going for the throat to ensure the other idiot at fault has to pay.
pmannings#1fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 04:22 PM   #32 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
No recourse for what?
No recourse in Canada meaning unlike in the US where by you have a court case for criminal damages, they can have another personal lawsuite for $$. punitive damages.

If im in a car crash in Toronto, I can go to court and have my damages covered by insurance if its up for deliberation. But I cant sue the same person again for pain and suffering where as in the US you can.

Alteast I think you cant!!??
Orangejello727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 04:28 PM   #33 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Nobody is profiting lol.

Ive never been in your situation so there is no way I would know what its like going through what you have and its monetary worth. By those standards, if someones actions impact my quality of life and the way I want to live it, it definately comes at a price.
Orangejello727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 04:40 PM   #34 (permalink)

My mom was in a car wreck 6 years ago, broke her hand and pinky, other driver was at fault. After much physical therapy, she regained 80% usage of the hand. Her lawyer and the insurance companies reached a settlement...last year.

Don't expect this to be a quick process.

Hope you heal up good, and everything works out!

I am a network admin. If you see me laughing, pray you have a recent backup.
Deathgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 04:58 PM   #35 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

It all depends on you and what you expect.

My daughter was hit by an illegal alien, although it's not illegal to be an illegal in Massachusetts. He blew a red light and hit her as she was in a crosswalk.

Buy the Grace of whatever higher power you believe in she was not killed. She suffered knee damage, concussion, displaced cartilidge n her ribs and lots of bumps and bruises.

The concussion was the worst as it caused her to miss the rest of the semester.

I brought her to a PI lawyer so she would not have to deal with anything.

By the time the settlement offer came from the Ins Co. She was 98%.

This was 5 months after the accident.

The offer what all was said and done was $10K. This was after lawyer fees and all medical bills taken care of.

She asked me what I thought and I told her it was up to her but if it was me and all things considered I would take it. I said it was her decision and to ask her lawyer what he thought.

I'm sure there are people who would have gone for every cent possible but from my perspective this was a fair offer for her.

She took it.

Take that for what it's worth.
jlzinck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 05:10 PM   #36 (permalink)

Wow that is a horrible situation. Sorry you guys had to go through that. Thanks for the info, and glad it all worked out!

PC: Zach Ertz Philadelphia Eagles
Divino is online now   Reply With Quote