Blowout Cards Forums
Super Break

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Off Topic

Off Topic This section may contain threads that are NSFW. This section is given a bit of leeway on some of the rules and so you may see some mild language and even some risqué images. Please no threads about race, religion, politics, or sexual orientation. Please no self promotion, sign up, or fundraising threads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2012, 04:09 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Injury Settlement

edit**********

PC: Zach Ertz Philadelphia Eagles

Last edited by Divino; 04-12-2013 at 03:02 PM.
Divino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 04:14 PM   #2 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

Assuming you didn't need to be licensed in the state in which your mother lives to drive a moped?
tajikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 04:15 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tajikey View Post
Assuming you didn't need to be licensed in the state in which your mother lives to drive a moped?
nope, just a driver's license

Old 10-12-2012, 04:23 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divino View Post
So about 3 months ago (July 15th to be exact), I was in town visiting my mother, and decided to take her moped out for a ride. Coming up to an interstection, a car stopped at the stop sign, then pulled out without seeing me. I was going about 25-30 mph, slammed on the brakes, and laid the scooter down. I hit the ground, then I hit their car. Police and ambulance came, the driver was given a ticket, and the accident report confirms the other driver is at fault 100%.

I suffered a broken nose, tons of road rash, a sprained wrist with additional ligament damage, and a sprained elbow. My nose requires 2 surgeries to fix. The first I already had, to realign it, since my nose was moved about 1.5-2 inches to the left on my face. I'll be having a second surgery soon since my nose still is off centered, and I'm having getting air through both nostrils. I also went through 4 weeks of physical therapy to be able to straighten my elbow and regain some grip strength.

I lawyered up on this, since I knew I would have a pile of medical bills, and that's something I don't want to deal with on my own.

Has anyone experienced anything like this? I'm curious as to how long it takes to get a settlement from the insurance company, and about how much I can expect. (It would be nice to pay off my student loan )

Not looking for any hard facts, or legal advice...more or less just shootin the breeze on a slow friday at work
I'm in Canada and laws are different. However, here is my situation.

In 2010 I was cutoff by a transport truck on my R1 motorcycle. 3 Broken bones, torn Aorta, Bruised Kidneys, Brachial Plexus injury (nerve damage right arm will not lift).

I've been in physio etc for 2+ years. Was a full time firefighter. Generally here it takes about 5-6 years to get a court date. Insurance usually suddenly wants to offer a settlement a month before court lol. Usually your first party insurance will settle first.

I can try to help a bit...

You have 2 claims right? 1 against your insurer and another against his?

Is it true while the surgeries etc are covered for you that you still need to pay doctors charges out of pocket?
Old 10-12-2012, 04:27 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major_League View Post
I'm in Canada and laws are different. However, here is my situation.

In 2010 I was cutoff by a transport truck on my R1 motorcycle. 3 Broken bones, torn Aorta, Bruised Kidneys, Brachial Plexus injury (nerve damage right arm will not lift).

I've been in physio etc for 2+ years. Was a full time firefighter. Generally here it takes about 5-6 years to get a court date. Insurance usually suddenly wants to offer a settlement a month before court lol.

I can try bto help a bit...

You have 2 claims right? 1 against your insurer and another against his?

Is it true while the surgeries etc are covered for you that you still need to pay doctors charges out of pocket?
I'm not exactly sure how the claims are working, as my lawyer is handling all of that. The only thing he has really told me is that nothing will really get rolling until i'm completely done being treated for my injuries.

This is obviously a smaller scale incident than yours, but the way my lawyer made it sound, is that my health insurance will cover everything that they normally would, and any co-pays, deductibles, etc will be covered by my car insurance (up to $10,000).

Old 10-12-2012, 04:31 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
I'm not exactly sure how the claims are working, as my lawyer is handling all of that. The only thing he has really told me is that nothing will really get rolling until i'm completely done being treated for my injuries.

This is obviously a smaller scale incident than yours, but the way my lawyer made it sound, is that my health insurance will cover everything that they normally would, and any co-pays, deductibles, etc will be covered by my car insurance (up to $10,000).
He is right. You need to reach your maximum recovery in most cases for the $ to finally come. They will come with a ridiculous offer initially. Be firm and tell your lawyer not a chance!

Ok that's good at least you won't have a huge doctor bill waiting for you.
Old 10-12-2012, 04:32 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
He is right. You need to reach your maximum recovery in most cases for the $ to finally come. They will come with a ridiculous offer initially. Be firm and tell your lawyer not a chance!

Ok that's good at least you won't have a huge doctor bill waiting for you.
Yea the medical bills are the main reason I went with a lawyer. I've gotten a bunch in the mail already, so I just stick them in an envelope and send them to his office. Takes a ton of stress off of me.

Old 10-12-2012, 04:32 PM   #8 (permalink)

The BIG problem (its a good problem) is you are back at life again. This will reduce $ big time. Did you lose any income?
Old 10-12-2012, 04:34 PM   #9 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to avjp87

what your lawyer has told you is pretty much on the money(pun intended) hehe

but yeah, it'll be a bit of a pain in the a$$. but you made the right move and got a lawyer.
Old 10-12-2012, 04:34 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
The BIG problem (its a good problem) is you are back at life again. This will reduce $ big time. Did you lose any income?
not much, a little over a week. Probably won't have any permanent damage (great for life, not great for the settlement) except for the breathing through my nose problem...and the fact that the tip of my nose is still numb!

Old 10-12-2012, 04:36 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
not much, a little over a week. Probably won't have any permanent damage (great for life, not great for the settlement) except for the breathing through my nose problem...and the fact that the tip of my nose is still numb!
Ok. I also had another accident about 10 years ago. Was off work about 2 months. Back pain. neck pain nothing broken. Got about $50k all told plus all meds, physio etc paid. So maybe 15-20k? Again, US is different but at least it's an example.
Old 10-12-2012, 04:40 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Ok. I also had another accident about 10 years ago. Was off work about 2 months. Back pain. neck pain nothing broken. Got about $50k all told plus all meds, physio etc paid. So maybe 15-20k? Again, US is different but at least it's an example.
Thanks for the info! I'm not holding my breath, or expecting a ton. Anything I get goes towards my student loan (with maybe a little to feed the card addiction).

Old 10-12-2012, 04:41 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Thanks for the info! I'm not holding my breath, or expecting a ton. Anything I get goes towards my student loan (with maybe a little to feed the card addiction).
Np man. Good luck and happy healing
Old 10-12-2012, 04:48 PM   #14 (permalink)

Sometimes it takes almost a year to 18 months to get settled. Make sure you ask for all your medical bills to be paid, pain & suffering & any loss of time from work to be compensated. The lawyer will take anywhere between 33%-40% of the total money so I would not want to settle for no less than 100K assuming that your medical bills don't exceed 20-25K.
pmannings#1fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 04:48 PM   #15 (permalink)

First of all, I'm glad to hear that you're coming along and healing up. Also, please correct me if I'm wrong, but I get the feeling that this conversation started heading in a direction toward how much $$ could be made off this situation, as in, after all bills are paid, how much money will I "make?"
Old 10-12-2012, 04:49 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nephinfan View Post
First of all, I'm glad to hear that you're coming along and healing up. Also, please correct me if I'm wrong, but I get the feeling that this conversation started heading in a direction toward how much $$ could be made off this situation, as in, after all bills are paid, how much money will I "make?"
That was my take and why I said 15-20k.
Old 10-12-2012, 04:50 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmannings#1fan View Post
Sometimes it takes almost a year to 18 months to get settled. Make sure you ask for all your medical bills to be paid, pain & suffering & any loss of time from work to be compensated. The lawyer will take anywhere between 33%-40% of the total money so I would not want to settle for no less than 100K assuming that your medical bills don't exceed 20-25K.
Ouch. Your Lawyers are greedy!
Old 10-12-2012, 04:51 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Medical bills are probably around $25K right now, and I'll still need plastic surgery on my nose.

Quote:
Kind of. I'm sorting playing the waiting game now, and I'm just curious what I can expect. Not looking to get greedy on it, and I'm thankful to be alive (I was about a foot from being run over by their back tire), but curiousity gets the best of me

Old 10-12-2012, 04:52 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Ouch. Your Lawyers are greedy!
Not my lawyers but PI lawyers in general. They won't take less than 30% & that's a fact.
pmannings#1fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 04:53 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Not my lawyers but PI lawyers in general. They won't take less than 30% & that's a fact.
yep you're right on the money. 33% plus any additional "costs" (medical reports, sending the secretary to the copy machine, etc.) up to 40% total.

Old 10-12-2012, 04:55 PM   #21 (permalink)
Banned

As soon as I saw the title, all that kept going through my mind was watching daytime court with Judge Alex and the commercials ...."Hurt in a car?...Call William Matar" and of course the annoying preceeding commercials... "Dont just stand there, do something about it" "Everest College".

and Major, you're correct, our laws are different than the US when it comes to settlements. THere is no recourse here.
Orangejello727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 04:55 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
That was my take and why I said 15-20k.
Ok, well, as I was reading, I just kept thinking how this shouldn't be about how much money can be profited from this awful experience. Shouldn't getting enough to pay for the bills and loss of income be the major concerns? Not making anything extra? If this is about making extra "fun" money, I certainly wouldn't be advertising it.

Again, I could be interpreting this incorrectly.
Old 10-12-2012, 04:56 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangejello727 View Post
As soon as I saw the title, all that kept going through my mind was watching daytime court with Judge Alex and the commercials ...."Hurt in a car?...Call William Matar" and of course the annoying preceeding commercials... "Dont just stand there, do something about it" "Everest College".

and Major, you're correct, our laws are different than the US when it comes to settlements. THere is no recourse here.
No recourse for what?
Old 10-12-2012, 04:57 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Medical bills are probably around $25K right now, and I'll still need plastic surgery on my nose.

Kind of. I'm sorting playing the waiting game now, and I'm just curious what I can expect. Not looking to get greedy on it, and I'm thankful to be alive (I was about a foot from being run over by their back tire), but curiousity gets the best of me
Ah, okay, thanks! Definitely lucky to be alive! Good luck!
Old 10-12-2012, 04:57 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Ok, well, as I was reading, I just kept thinking how this shouldn't be about how much money can be profited from this awful experience. Shouldn't getting enough to pay for the bills and loss of income be the major concerns? Not making anything extra? If this is about making extra "fun" money, I certainly wouldn't be advertising it.

Again, I could be interpreting this incorrectly.
Advertising what? Something very bad happened to me, and completely flipped my life on it's head. I was ready to start competing on a world level for powerlifting, now I won't even be ready to start competing for 4-6 months. I honestly don't know if I'll ever be on that level again, so my world team dreams could be shot now.