Blowout Cards Forums
Draft Kings

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Off Topic

Off Topic This section may contain threads that are NSFW. This section is given a bit of leeway on some of the rules and so you may see some mild language and even some risqué images. Please no threads about race, religion, politics, or sexual orientation. Please no self promotion, sign up, or fundraising threads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2012, 12:29 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Anyone in NJ getting screwed on USE TAX???

I may have to stop hosting breaks. I found out today that I must pay 7% state sales tax on all out of state NJ purchases that don't include sales tax!!!

Anyone else have this issue?

Ps - I'm already in the hole for $600 in state tax on group breaks hosted this year!

I owed $750 for 2011 which I paid. But it's BS!!!
VWBUS1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 12:31 AM   #2 (permalink)

Jersey is an interesting place. I remember stopping to get gas on my way into Manhattan once and they wouldn't even let me pump my own gas. Had no idea it's the law in Jersey that you can't pump your own gas?! I was like what the hell?
IndySportsCards is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 12:38 AM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to pskell02

Say what now? When did this lovely tax happen? I was completely unaware of this and could potentially be really screwed by it.
Old 10-13-2012, 12:46 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndySportsCards View Post
Jersey is an interesting place. I remember stopping to get gas on my way into Manhattan once and they wouldn't even let me pump my own gas. Had no idea it's the law in Jersey that you can't pump your own gas?! I was like what the hell?
They won't let you do it in Oregon either.
ilovethelakings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 12:48 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndySportsCards View Post
It's a wonderful, wonderful thing
Old 10-13-2012, 12:50 AM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

That's awesome I'm sick of pumping my own gas I wish somebody would pump my gas for me. I'm pretty sure it would create alot more jobs for the homeless people begging for money on the streets.
Chaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 12:55 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaz View Post
That's awesome I'm sick of pumping my own gas I wish somebody would pump my gas for me. I'm pretty sure it would create alot more jobs for the homeless people begging for money on the streets.
Do it for a while and just wait for the first time you have to pump your own gas again. Only to find that behind the door is a slick of black goop that oozes down you the back end of your car.
Old 10-13-2012, 12:59 AM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pskell02 View Post
Do it for a while and just wait for the first time you have to pump your own gas again. Only to find that behind the door is a slick of black goop that oozes down you the back end of your car.
Hahaha I guess your right, I don't even let other people wash my truck so I guess I don't want them pumping my gas.
Old 10-13-2012, 01:03 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaz View Post
Hahaha I guess your right, I don't even let other people wash my truck so I guess I don't want them pumping my gas.
I moved here in '08 and about 3 months later went home to visit family. Stopped for gas and didn't think about it, reached in to take off the gas cap and something just felt awful on my hand. Looked down and it was covered in the crap. Needless to say, I was pissed.
Old 10-13-2012, 01:04 AM   #10 (permalink)
Banned

You pay for them to pump it, I'm sure prices are .10+ higher there than a normal state
freeman2jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 01:07 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeman2jackson View Post
You pay for them to pump it, I'm sure prices are .10+ higher there than a normal state
Actually, cheaper. We are close to the refineries, so the transport cost is low, making the pump prices lower.
Old 10-13-2012, 01:08 AM   #12 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pskell02 View Post
I moved here in '08 and about 3 months later went home to visit family. Stopped for gas and didn't think about it, reached in to take off the gas cap and something just felt awful on my hand. Looked down and it was covered in the crap. Needless to say, I was pissed.
Ya I can't even imagine, I would be furious. I guess I will stick to pumping my own gas
Old 10-13-2012, 01:37 AM   #13 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

Usage tax in CA has been around forever, and is self-reported. It's only a matter of time before all of Internet commerce is taxed based on state of use, but until then....
tajikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 08:13 AM   #14 (permalink)

Maine has had a use tax for at least 6 years. It is self reported and if you dont have records you are supposed to base it on some factor applied to your AGI.

Lately they have been airing commercials trying to get people to pay back taxes for the past 6 years.

I dont know anyone else who pays it but I do.
mainerunr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 08:44 AM   #15 (permalink)
ND3

Never hear of this before??? How can the state possibly track this?
Old 10-13-2012, 09:15 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ND3 View Post
Never hear of this before??? How can the state possibly track this?
My accountant, brilliant idiot that he is, says there is some interstate commerce thing that tracks all purchases over $1000. He said to me, if they see that I make one purchase over $1000 and don't report it I will be federally audited.

As a disclaimer, he is a smart guy, he just never shuts up.

He also applied for the extension on my tax returns forcing me to wait until now to file an find out about this use tax.
Old 10-13-2012, 11:59 AM   #17 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

I believe a lot of states have this.

How dare you buy something and not feed the machine.

Here in Massachusetts we had some hack politician write a law to pass a sales tax on Alcohol. Mind you there was already an excise tax on alcohol so they were taxing a tax.

So this hack was caught buying 100's of dollars on booze in Hew Hampshire where there is no sales tax.

They tried to get him on the record about it. I SURE he reported and paid the tax.
jlzinck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 12:27 PM   #18 (permalink)

I would hazard to guess that this requirement exists for all states. I can tell you with certainty that the same tax exists for out of state purchases from Michigan and Pennsylvania.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWBUS1978 View Post
I may have to stop hosting breaks. I found out today that I must pay 7% state sales tax on all out of state NJ purchases that don't include sales tax!!!

Anyone else have this issue?

Ps - I'm already in the hole for $600 in state tax on group breaks hosted this year!

I owed $750 for 2011 which I paid. But it's BS!!!
Concentrating on my personal collection. Please drop me a PM if you have any of the following for sale: Topps Football 1956-1959; 1961-1964, 1967-1968; Philadelphia Football 1964-1967, Autographs of Baseball/Football Vintage Stars and Hall of Famers (especially on card autos), 1990's Topps Chrome Refractor Inserts of all sports.
37Jetson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 01:24 PM   #19 (permalink)

Does anyone else factor this into purchases over $1000? And out of state?

He literally said there was no way around it. I sure hope he didn't just scare me into wasting $750 damn dollars on a bogus tax that they can't track anyway.
Old 10-13-2012, 01:48 PM   #20 (permalink)

The chances of getting audited are probably low, but remember you have left a permanent electronic record if you bought the cases on-line, with a credit card, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWBUS1978 View Post
Does anyone else factor this into purchases over $1000? And out of state?

He literally said there was no way around it. I sure hope he didn't just scare me into wasting $750 damn dollars on a bogus tax that they can't track anyway.
Concentrating on my personal collection. Please drop me a PM if you have any of the following for sale: Topps Football 1956-1959; 1961-1964, 1967-1968; Philadelphia Football 1964-1967, Autographs of Baseball/Football Vintage Stars and Hall of Famers (especially on card autos), 1990's Topps Chrome Refractor Inserts of all sports.
37Jetson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 04:21 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 37Jetson View Post
The chances of getting audited are probably low, but remember you have left a permanent electronic record if you bought the cases on-line, with a credit card, etc.
According to my accountant, I am at an income level right now that has a high rate of audits. And everything was purchased online or with a debit card, which he referenced also. I'm just gonna have to quit hosting breaks I think, it kills me cause I love to do it.

I can still host group submissions to BGS as I don't think I can be taxed on services. Could be wrong.