Blowout Cards Forums

Blowout Cards Forums (http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/)
-   Off Topic (http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/off-topic/)
-   -   Possibly going back to work FT (http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/off-topic/382697-possibly-going-back-work-ft.html)

JosieD 10-13-2012 04:57 PM

Possibly going back to work FT

I may be going back to work full-time in 2 weeks. My job has a full-time opening from 10am to 6pm. The biggest issue is it takes me an hour to get to work so I will really be gone from 8:45am to 7:00pm. I am currently looking for affordable childcare. We need the money and it would be nice to have my weekends back but I am going to really miss my boys. I am only going to get a couple of hours daily during the week with my youngest son because he goes to bed at 8. Just the thought of only seeing him for such a limited time makes me very sad.

jimssouvenirs 10-13-2012 04:58 PM

What kind of work do you do?

JosieD 10-13-2012 05:00 PM

[QUOTE=jimssouvenirs;3467047]What kind of work do you do?[/QUOTE]

I work for a managed care company that handles behavioral health/substance abuse funding.

bigzig 10-13-2012 07:08 PM

Gooduck! I love my 4 day work week, but it is tough when I leave before the kids get up and only home for an hour or 2 before they go to bed. Not to mention cub scouts 2 nights a week. It seems like forever before the weekend rolls around again and get to spend actual time with them.

Gibberish 10-13-2012 07:24 PM

[QUOTE=JosieDively;3467052]I work for a managed care company that handles behavioral health/substance abuse funding.[/QUOTE]

Dunno why it makes me think of Money laundering :)

JosieD 10-13-2012 07:39 PM

[QUOTE=bigzig;3467703]Gooduck! I love my 4 day work week, but it is tough when I leave before the kids get up and only home for an hour or 2 before they go to bed. Not to mention cub scouts 2 nights a week. It seems like forever before the weekend rolls around again and get to spend actual time with them.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I am anticipating it to be a tough transition. Right now, I stay home with them. I love my days with them. I am only working the weekends right now and my husband is pretty exhuasted because he feels like he doesn't get a break. I wish we could afford for me to continue staying home but our school taxes keep going up along with everything else.

I hope you are having a great weekend with them!

[QUOTE=Gibberish;3467787]Dunno why it makes me think of Money laundering :)[/QUOTE]

Haha, I wish. That sounds exciting.

oldgoldy97 10-13-2012 08:15 PM

Weigh the childcare vs pay carefully. My friend barely takes anything home after paying the costs for his two sons. It gets to the point where it isn't worth it.

37Jetson 10-13-2012 08:19 PM

This might be a good time to see what is available in the local job market. I think you would feel more comfortable knowing all of your options. Two hours in a car every day can be rough. I hope the best option becomes clear to you.

JosieD 10-13-2012 08:20 PM

[QUOTE=oldgoldy97;3468038]Weigh the childcare vs pay carefully. My friend barely takes anything home after paying the costs for his two sons. It gets to the point where it isn't worth it.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I have our budget made out with both scenerios. I can only spend x amount on childcare and if I can't find that magic number, I am going to stay home. I have a promising lead that would still allow us to bring home a positive each month. Right now, we are in the negative every month. It is very stressful because I handle all the finances.

JosieD 10-13-2012 08:24 PM

[QUOTE=37Jetson;3468054]This might be a good time to see what is available in the local job market. I think you would feel more comfortable knowing all of your options. Two hours in a car every day can be rough. I hope the best option becomes clear to you.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I have been looking and have applied for several places. I was told that I make too much at my current job. I tried to explain that the amount I would save in travel was worth it in time/money. Hopefully, I will find something that meets my families needs.

oldgoldy97 10-13-2012 08:25 PM

I think the way to do it, if you can last long enough, is to wait until your kids are in school full-time and then get a full-time job while they are gone. That's how we are kinda doing it (still have to get the wife to finish off the plan on her end).

oldgoldy97 10-13-2012 08:27 PM

[QUOTE=JosieDively;3468080]Yeah, I have been looking and have applied for several places. [B]I was told that I make too much at my current job[/B]. I tried to explain that the amount I would save in travel was worth it in time/money. Hopefully, I will find something that meets my families needs.[/QUOTE]

I hate that. I had the same thing happen to me a few years ago when I thought about changing careers. I swear sometimes HR people are the bane of the world's existence. I real glad I didn't get the job now, however.

JosieD 10-13-2012 08:46 PM

[QUOTE=oldgoldy97;3468084]I think the way to do it, if you can last long enough, is to wait until your kids are in school full-time and then get a full-time job while they are gone. That's how we are kinda doing it (still have to get the wife to finish off the plan on her end).[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=oldgoldy97;3468088]I hate that. I had the same thing happen to me a few years ago when I thought about changing careers. I swear sometimes HR people are the bane of the world's existence. I real glad I didn't get the job now, however.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that is what we were trying to do but our costs keep going up. My oldest is in pre-school right now 2 days a week.

Yeah, I wish they would realize that sometimes it isn't about the money. Benifits play into it along with travel time, etc.