Blowout Cards Forums
Email Signup

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Off Topic

Off Topic This section may contain threads that are NSFW. This section is given a bit of leeway on some of the rules and so you may see some mild language and even some risqué images. Please no threads about race, religion, politics, or sexual orientation. Please no self promotion, sign up, or fundraising threads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2012, 06:56 PM   #26 (permalink)

It gave me goosebumps when the guy finally jumped. My son kept asking me if he was going to die.
ilovethelakings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 07:08 PM   #27 (permalink)

So I admit I am not a space/science buff but...why was there gravity when he was in space??? Was he not high enough?
Old 10-14-2012, 07:17 PM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonNut View Post
So I admit I am not a space/science buff but...why was there gravity when he was in space??? Was he not high enough?
Gravity is everywhere there is mass. (mass being a planet for example). Gravity exists regardless of an atmosphere.

The earths atmosphere is made up of lots of elements, nitrogen, oxygen, helium, etc. Gravity holds those gases around our planet. Space is simply the point at which our atmosphere ceases to exist. It is not a clearly defined line but the atmosphere slowly gets less and less livable the higher up you go. But gravity exists regardless of that atmosphere line.

You already know that gravity exists in empty space. That is why our earth revolves around the Sun. There is nothing but space (well, let's say there is no atmosphere) between the Sun and the Earth yet gravity keeps the earth revolving around the Sun.

So, when this skydiver went that high up, he simply went past the livable atmosphere, but of course gravity still exists up there, and thus he fell when he jumped off the capsule.
alexlazarevich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 07:23 PM   #29 (permalink)

Too much for me to wrap my head around five beers in LOL.

I'll ask another potentially stupid question if I may...

Why didn't he "burn up" as he entered the atmosphere?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexlazarevich View Post
Gravity is everywhere there is mass. (mass being a planet for example). Gravity exists regardless of an atmosphere.

The earths atmosphere is made up of lots of elements, nitrogen, oxygen, helium, etc. Gravity holds those gases around our planet. Space is simply the point at which our atmosphere ceases to exist. It is not a clearly defined line but the atmosphere slowly gets less and less livable the higher up you go. But gravity exists regardless of that atmosphere line.

You already know that gravity exists in empty space. That is why our earth revolves around the Sun. There is nothing but space (well, let's say there is no atmosphere) between the Sun and the Earth yet gravity keeps the earth revolving around the Sun.

So, when this skydiver went that high up, he simply went past the livable atmosphere, but of course gravity still exists up there, and thus he fell when he jumped off the capsule.
Old 10-14-2012, 07:33 PM   #30 (permalink)

Great questions! Not stupid at all. I'm not an expert, so my answers could be wrong. I've just read a lot about astronomy and crap like that. I'll try to answer.

Why didn't he burn up? Speed is the critical factor. His speed at the beginning of his jump (relative to the atmosphere around him) was zero. Once he jumps he immediately starts to gain speed. (accelerate) However, all objects have what's called a terminal velocity: the speed at which your own drag causes your acceleration to stop. Drag simply means his body was hitting all those particles in the atmosphere, and that creates drag, and drag slows down your acceleration eventually until you stop accelerating.

If he'd had been shot out of a cannon at 10,000 miles per hour before he hit the atmosphere, yeah, then he'd be burnt to a crisp. But he wasn't going that fast. That is why the space shuttle burnt up on re-entry years ago, it was going so freaking fast BEFORE it entered the atmosphere, it was impossible for drag to slow it down without the shuttle ripping apart.

Of course, there was some risk in it. He was the first human being to go faster than the speed of sound without any ship, car, shuttle, craft of any kind. Just a body suit. Some people thought that was risky, no one knew what was going to happen when his body hit the speed of sound. But he survived it. Pretty amazing!

Quote:
Too much for me to wrap my head around five beers in LOL.

I'll ask another potentially stupid question if I may...

Why didn't he "burn up" as he entered the atmosphere?
alexlazarevich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 07:37 PM   #31 (permalink)

Ahh....got it...thanks...interesting stuff. I just wish Red Bull or whoever marketed this thing better...I would have liked to research it before hand!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexlazarevich View Post
Great questions! Not stupid at all. I'm not an expert, so my answers could be wrong. I've just read a lot about astronomy and crap like that. I'll try to answer.

Why didn't he burn up? Speed is the critical factor. His speed at the beginning of his jump (relative to the atmosphere around him) was zero. Once he jumps he immediately starts to gain speed. (accelerate) However, all objects have what's called a terminal velocity: the speed at which your own drag causes your acceleration to stop. Drag simply means his body was hitting all those particles in the atmosphere, and that creates drag, and drag slows down your acceleration eventually until you stop accelerating.

If he'd had been shot out of a cannon at 10,000 miles per hour before he hit the atmosphere, yeah, then he'd be burnt to a crisp. But he wasn't going that fast. That is why the space shuttle burnt up on re-entry years ago, it was going so freaking fast BEFORE it entered the atmosphere, it was impossible for drag to slow it down without the shuttle ripping apart.

Of course, there was some risk in it. He was the first human being to go faster than the speed of sound without any ship, car, shuttle, craft of any kind. Just a body suit. Some people thought that was risky, no one knew what was going to happen when his body hit the speed of sound. But he survived it. Pretty amazing!
Old 10-14-2012, 08:56 PM   #32 (permalink)

Bet this guy will never enjoy skydiving or base jumping again
zonacats8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 09:15 PM   #33 (permalink)

Just to put this in perspective...

He jumped from 24 miles.

The International Space Station orbits at 230 miles.

GPS Satellites orbit at about 12,000 miles.

TV and Radio Satellites orbit at 22,236 miles.

Last edited by vwnut13; 10-14-2012 at 09:21 PM.
vwnut13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 09:19 PM   #34 (permalink)

Space is big. Got it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwnut13 View Post

He jumped from 24 miles.

The International Space Station orbits at 250 miles.
Old 10-14-2012, 09:20 PM   #35 (permalink)

Quote:

He jumped from 24 miles.

The International Space Station orbits at 250 miles.
So you are going to be that guy, huh? Are you also the type of person who would scoff at how fast Usain Bolt runs because he isn't as fast as a gazelle or a cheetah?
Old 10-14-2012, 10:30 PM   #36 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by avjp87 View Post
so now what?
Not my words: The Stratos launch into the atmosphere will help to develop new types of space suits, create a procedure for human exposure to high acceleration and altitude, test new parachute systems, and discover the effects of supersonic speeds on the human body.

Quote:
It was near space. He was never weightless nor was the vehicle ever in space despite news reports claiming so.
Nicnac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 11:52 PM   #37 (permalink)

Outer space begins at 100km (62.12 miles)
Old 10-15-2012, 03:18 AM   #38 (permalink)

While watching the whole guy in his capsule, I kept having this song going through my head:

Old 10-15-2012, 07:45 AM   #39 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovethelakings View Post
While watching the whole guy in his capsule, I kept having this song going through my head:

You mean...

Old 10-15-2012, 10:55 AM   #40 (permalink)

I've been following this jump since April or May. I watched every minute of the coverage on YouTube including the aborted attempts earlier in the week. My wife made fun of me for following it so closely and even yesterday as I was watching before the actual jump. However after the jump, she thanked me for making her watch it.
It's hard to quantify it, but I think what I liked about the mission so much was that Felix had Kittinger's respect so much that Joe wanted to be apart of this mission. That was the coolest part of the jump to me.
Current Needs: Drew Bledsoe 2009 BTL Auto's O,T; Buybacks; Butler Bulldogs (Gordon Hayward, Shelvin Mack, Matt Howard); Looking for the following: Alfonzo Dennard '12 TC Superfractor; Chandler Jones '12 TC and Bowman Sterling Superfractors; Please PM me with details
ssbledsoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 11:43 AM   #41 (permalink)

Quote:
You mean...

Touche. I've been listening to so much Bowie as of late that I forgot all about that song.