Blowout Cards Forums
Summer Sale

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Off Topic

Off Topic This section may contain threads that are NSFW. This section is given a bit of leeway on some of the rules and so you may see some mild language and even some risqué images. Please no threads about race, religion, politics, or sexual orientation. Please no self promotion, sign up, or fundraising threads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2012, 05:29 PM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTaplin View Post
Problem you will have (like most everyone) is you will always spend what you make. That extra money won't be enough for very long, and you will always be chasing that next job that pays more.

Another problem is people that take jobs they don't like as much tend to spend more money to compensate for their unhappiness.

I was like you until something bigger (or much smaller that cries a lot) came along. Can't blame you for chasing the money, just know it will never be enough.
Dave is right - most everyone does spend what they make. To add on to what I was saying before, make the conscience decision to live off of $30k, or whatever it is each year, NO MATTER WHAT JOB YOU HAVE. If you are bringing in $100,000 a year - you don't NEED to live paycheck to paycheck (though many do.) You can make the choice to bank much of that, zip your lip about it, and let people think you are of humble means. It is fun that way, trust me
mouschi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 06:13 PM   #27 (permalink)

The Utopian Unicorn company features many of these "dream jobs" that you all speak of. This is nonsense that they fill you up with during High School and College Commencement Speeches. I have seen so many young people come and go at work in the past decade. The most common complaint is that the job was not measuring up to their dreams. Add to the fact that these same young people did not want to work hard, expect instant promotions and general utopian perks you get the impression that the Everybody gets a Trophy Generation has hit the workforce.

I am a firm believer in the fact that you make your own opportunities in work and in life. First you must be interested in providing for your family, having job stability, maintaining the best possible work and home life balance as possible and always be improving yourself. If you work on these items and keep striving for more the chances of reaching your dream job increase.
Concentrating on my personal collection. Please drop me a PM if you have any of the following for sale: Topps Football 1956-1959; 1961-1968; Philadelphia Football 1964-1967, Autographs of Baseball/Football Vintage Stars and Hall of Famers (especially on card autos), 1990's Topps Chrome Refractor Inserts of all sports.
37Jetson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 06:22 PM   #28 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

Send a message via AIM to mgugs46

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouschi View Post
Dave is right - most everyone does spend what they make. To add on to what I was saying before, make the conscience decision to live off of $30k, or whatever it is each year, NO MATTER WHAT JOB YOU HAVE. If you are bringing in $100,000 a year - you don't NEED to live paycheck to paycheck (though many do.) You can make the choice to bank much of that, zip your lip about it, and let people think you are of humble means. It is fun that way, trust me
You could, but why save 70k a year? You can't take it with you. I'm not saying make 100k and spend 100k, but I don't see the point in avoiding doing things just for the sake of holing up money in a bank somewhere.

Always looking for PEDRO MARTINEZ patches/autos
mgugs46 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 02:40 PM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgugs46 View Post
You could, but why save 70k a year? You can't take it with you. I'm not saying make 100k and spend 100k, but I don't see the point in avoiding doing things just for the sake of holing up money in a bank somewhere.
Because it is a very wise move. I doubt this guy is 75 years old. He probably has 50+ years more on this planet, so the more you can stash away, the better. The last thing I'm sure he wants to do is to buy a bright and shiny car, live in an expensive house, fill it up with cool things, only to find that everything (sans the house) has diminished drastically in terms of value, and find out his purchasing decisions are the reason for being stuck in a crap job. Exit plan and security is numero uno, imho.
mouschi is offline   Reply With Quote