Blowout Cards Forums
Advertise On Forum

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Off Topic

Off Topic This section may contain threads that are NSFW. This section is given a bit of leeway on some of the rules and so you may see some mild language and even some risqué images. Please no threads about race, religion, politics, or sexual orientation. Please no self promotion, sign up, or fundraising threads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2012, 10:37 AM   #1 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to asujbl
Default Dream Job or Money?

As a spin off to the new boss or pay raise thread – I’m curious what people opinions would be on this situation.

You’re taking a new job – that is for sure (so don’t consider staying at your current position)

Option A – Sounds like a “dream job” (or as much as much of a dream job could be in your particular profession) on paper – obviously you’ve never done it – but on paper it sounds perfect. Pay would be about a 25% increase over what you currently make, so a good raise, and the pay would be enough to live on quite comfortably. Benefits are good – but standard – the biggest benefit would be other perks such as season football tickets, clothing discounts, etc…the catch however is you’re working for a University – so since it’s a government entity your ability to “grow” is limited as they aren't creating new positions very often. You get promoted when the person above you leaves. You might get a promotion someday but it wouldn’t be something to bank on. Your raises would probably be in the 3-5% per year range. Standard 40-50 hours per week.

Option B – Sounds like a very good job on paper. Not necessarily the “dream” industry – but something that still interests you. Something you’ve never really done – but that you can learn. Pay would be a minimum (that’s key) of a 35% increase over what you currently make – and part of that is bonus driven – so that’s a conservative estimate. It could be as high as a 40% or more increase over current salary. Benefits are great. Well above average stuff on 401(k) etc...but doesn’t include any extra perks like tickets as this is just a standard corporate job. Ability to grow is great as it’s a smaller firm so if you perform you grown and the ability to make more money going forward is much higher then Option A because you have the ability to earn large bonuses along with pay increases if your performance is above average. Standard 40-50 hours per week.

What would you do? Go for the big time money in an industry you like, but don’t love, but it is still work after all…or go for Option B in the industry you love but the pay and growth might never be there for your career.
asujbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 10:59 AM   #2 (permalink)

Real life options are "stick with your current crappy-paying job" or (if you're lucky) go for a new job with more pay / less hours / better healthcare / less restrictions / closer to home / more secure / less stressful.

Both your options have higher pay, pay increases. LOL BLEHHHHH :P

Whatever your choices are pick the one that gets you the most money quickest.
Nicnac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 11:01 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicnac View Post
Real life options are "stick with your current crappy-paying job" or (if you're lucky) go for a new job with more pay / less hours / better healthcare / less restrictions / closer to home / more secure / less stressful.

Both your options have higher pay, pay increases. LOL BLEHHHHH :P

Whatever your choices are pick the one that gets you the most money quickest.
Haha fair enough – I realize these two options are both incredibly good opportunities – but they are reality in this situation.

Option B is the quickest way to the most and fastest money – it’ll probably just be less fun to go to on a daily basis.
Old 10-17-2012, 11:06 AM   #4 (permalink)

I would go with option A. money isn't that important at this stage in my life. I would much rather have a job that I enjoy going to each day.

http://s1223.photobucket.com/albums/dd519/popmaz/?start=20
popmaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 11:15 AM   #5 (permalink)

I would need actual examples but for the sake of the question.. Show me the money

** Looking for 1953 Bowman Color PSA 5 or better cards **
Whodey14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 11:25 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whodey14 View Post
I would need actual examples but for the sake of the question.. Show me the money
I don't want to get into too much detail - but one would be in the Athletic Department at a University (but Accounting so keep that in mind - not like hanging out at practice all day or something. Haha) the other is Accounting at Real Estate Development/Consulting Firm.

I know that probably doesn't help alot since it's not too detailed.
Old 10-17-2012, 11:26 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by popmaz View Post
I would go with option A. money isn't that important at this stage in my life. I would much rather have a job that I enjoy going to each day.
Good point.

I should have mentioned the options would be for someone between the ages of 30-35 so in the prime money making time of your career as far as the ability to jump around jobs and get promotions. So money is important.
Old 10-17-2012, 11:27 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whodey14 View Post
MasterPattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 11:36 AM   #9 (permalink)

When you say small firm, is it a growing firm that you truly see existing for the future. Is there fair risk it could fold being small? I've always believed if you don't enjoy your job it's not worth it. That said I have four kids and being a little unhappy is okay if it keeps them well supported. I don't know the details of your life. Debt would factor in, family, etc. you know better than we do those factors. Those season tickets etc seem pretty nice as well and if those are something you'd be spending on anyway they should be considered. Make a list of pros and cons man. Obviously the money has to factor in. I mean more money means more cards, haha. Good luck with what ever you choose.

I can tell you first hand. I work a crapier job than I could but it allows me more time with my kids and I am guaranteed not to miss so much as a sneeze if I don't want to. That to me is worth it all. However, that isn't always the case for some. Some need the time away from them. Some need the money more. Just don't take the wrong job for greed. Take the job that best fits your lifestyle and will help you be where you wanna be as a family man and in your life down the road.
Old 10-17-2012, 11:41 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbroockerd View Post
When you say small firm, is it a growing firm that you truly see existing for the future. Is there fair risk it could fold being small? I've always believed if you don't enjoy your job it's not worth it. That said I have four kids and being a little unhappy is okay if it keeps them well supported. I don't know the details of your life. Debt would factor in, family, etc. you know better than we do those factors. Those season tickets etc seem pretty nice as well and if those are something you'd be spending on anyway they should be considered. Make a list of pros and cons man. Obviously the money has to factor in. I mean more money means more cards, haha. Good luck with what ever you choose.

I can tell you first hand. I work a crapier job than I could but it allows me more time with my kids and I am guaranteed not to miss so much as a sneeze if I don't want to. That to me is worth it all. However, that isn't always the case for some. Some need the time away from them. Some need the money more. Just don't take the wrong job for greed. Take the job that best fits your lifestyle and will help you be where you wanna be as a family man and in your life down the road.
All good points - and all stuff I've considered - so I know it's hard for people to reply without knowing more details about each job and my life in general.

I can tell you when I say "small" I mean like 40 person - and there is zero chance of it having any problems - it's the most profitable development company in town.

Appreciate the reply. Definitely some good points.
Old 10-17-2012, 12:34 PM   #11 (permalink)

I don't care about money. Yeah money is nice, but some things are more important. As long as we have enough to pay our bills, eat, and give, I'm good.
tnarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 01:04 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnarg View Post
I don't care about money. Yeah money is nice, but some things are more important. As long as we have enough to pay our bills, eat, and give, I'm good.
When all the high school and college kids were out partying, I worked. At 23 I was the store manager of a 2 million dollar store. I was moving along very quickly. I thought I was doing great and had all these aspirations for the future.

At 27 I had my first kid. About 1 year later I realized the working crazy and the money just didn't matter. I am 34 now with two kids, work from home and make just enough to get by. Be nice to get by a little easier but I don't know too many fathers who get to spend as much time with their kids.
DaveTaplin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 01:06 PM   #13 (permalink)

Dream job. If you love what you do, you will never work a day in your life. Besides, I have never seen a U-Haul behind a hearse.
Romans 1:16 #unashamed
PC: Brandon Marshall
Combined Feedbacks on Ebay+SCF=300+=100%(All Positive)
PDawson21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 01:28 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTaplin View Post
When all the high school and college kids were out partying, I worked. At 23 I was the store manager of a 2 million dollar store. I was moving along very quickly. I thought I was doing great and had all these aspirations for the future.

At 27 I had my first kid. About 1 year later I realized the working crazy and the money just didn't matter. I am 34 now with two kids, work from home and make just enough to get by. Be nice to get by a little easier but I don't know too many fathers who get to spend as much time with their kids.
I hear ya. I'm 28 and have 2 kids. I work 5 days a week, I leave work at 5. I put my family first.

My wife used to work 5 days a week. When she had our first son, she dropped to 3.5 days a week. By the time she picked our oldest up, got him home, it was after 2:30, he napped and her half day wasn't so much of a half.

When we had our 2nd son, even though she would lose her full-time benefits, I told her to drop that "half day"

So now she only works 3 days a week and has plenty of time with the kids. I told her money isn't everything. She can work full time again when the kids are in elementary school. Luckily though, she's a dental hygienist so what she makes in 3 days is still more than most people who work 40+ hours a week. But regardless, you need to love what you do and make sure you spend enough time with your family.

Plus with her only working 3 days I can still come home and bitch about the house not being clean and dinner not on the table. If she worked 5 days, I'd have to help out more, lmao
tnarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 01:29 PM   #15 (permalink)

All really valid points for sure - definitely shows the differences in what people "want" vs "need" in their lives...

Unfortunately I'm a want person. I spend more money then anyone should on suits, shoes, trips, beer, golf etc...

So at the end of the day the money, when we're talking anywhere from $10-$30K a year, difference is a big factor - even if it's just "spending" money as either job will pay all the regular real life expenses.
Old 10-17-2012, 01:34 PM   #16 (permalink)

Option A, no doubt. obviously, life can get pretty expensive, but you adjust to what you have and realize that what you have is enough for what you need. Option A sounds like you make plenty enough money and to me, having a close to dream job outweighs the potential money explosion from option B.

Personally for me, more does not necessarily mean more either. I would be perfectly content with a dream job, stable salary, and time with the family.
Old 10-17-2012, 01:43 PM   #17 (permalink)

A all the way. A lot more stability with a university job than some small corporate company. As long as you arent raping little boys in the shower, youll be set for life.

anusinha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 01:53 PM   #18 (permalink)

Go get that $$. I had a great job, wouldn't call it a dream job but loved it none the less.

Opportunity came along to pay me an extra $17K a year, I didn't think twice & haven't regretted it one moment
Old 10-17-2012, 02:09 PM   #19 (permalink)

Alot of great points so far - Appreciate all the replies.

I think the key so far to me is that Option B isn't a job I wouldn't enjoy - I think it'd be a very interesting job - Option A is just ON PAPER (obviously since I've never done it) sounds like the job I'd be more interested in if the money was the same.
Old 10-17-2012, 03:40 PM   #20 (permalink)

Option A for sure. If I had the opportunity to be truely happy with what I do while making an income that pays all your bills + enough left over to both spend & save for retirement I would take it in a heartbeat.

I don't care if i ever get "rich". I just want to provide well for my family without having to stress if something unexpected comes up.
bigzig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 03:45 PM   #21 (permalink)
Banned

Option A. It seems like, it would be a nice job, for anyone, and it seems like financially, you will be just fine
theautographkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 06:43 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by asujbl View Post
All really valid points for sure - definitely shows the differences in what people "want" vs "need" in their lives...

Unfortunately I'm a want person. I spend more money then anyone should on suits, shoes, trips, beer, golf etc...

So at the end of the day the money, when we're talking anywhere from $10-$30K a year, difference is a big factor - even if it's just "spending" money as either job will pay all the regular real life expenses.
Problem you will have (like most everyone) is you will always spend what you make. That extra money won't be enough for very long, and you will always be chasing that next job that pays more.

Another problem is people that take jobs they don't like as much tend to spend more money to compensate for their unhappiness.

I was like you until something bigger (or much smaller that cries a lot) came along. Can't blame you for chasing the money, just know it will never be enough.
DaveTaplin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 07:56 PM   #23 (permalink)

Take the money.
FrankieP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 05:25 PM   #24 (permalink)

I think it really depends upon several factors. If you are a husband/father, I would consider leaning toward the better paying job ... *possibly*. THEN, when you are married with children, look into a less stressful job so you can have more time with the fam. Make as much hay as you can while the sun is still shining

Above all though, I encourage you to live on as little as possible. The less your needs/wants, the more choices you can make in the future.

Imagine if you have $100,000 in debt, and make just enough to make a go of it, paycheck to paycheck 10 years from now, at $50,000 a year & expenses being $48,000 a year. If you want to switch jobs because you are burned out, or whatever, you are in mega trouble.

Now, imagine 10 years from now having $100,000 in savings, having more frugal tastes, can live on $30,000 a year, and make $50,000 a year. You can tell your boss to shove it, and look for something you really enjoy!

These are massive, massive life altering decisions you can make. A stressful job you hate can affect your family, personal life, health, etc. Put yourself in a position where YOU have the control. Sure, it means giving up the "hey look at me - I have a sports car" factor, but in the end ... WELL worth it.
mouschi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 05:28 PM   #25 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

Send a message via AIM to mgugs46

I would always choose money. Money does in fact buy happiness.

Always looking for PEDRO MARTINEZ patches/autos
mgugs46 is offline   Reply With Quote