Blowout Cards Forums
Summer Sale

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Off Topic

Off Topic This section may contain threads that are NSFW. This section is given a bit of leeway on some of the rules and so you may see some mild language and even some risqué images. Please no threads about race, religion, politics, or sexual orientation. Please no self promotion, sign up, or fundraising threads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2012, 06:50 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Newbie Shipping question

I am printing out the shipping labels for the 1st time on ebay from an item sold. Does is matter which way I attach the shipping label to the envelope? I am trying to send the items as first class mail and was told by someone that if I do it the opposite way of what is correct that the item can't be sent as first class mail? Not sure if that is true? Also if I print out the shipping labels when I go to the post office do I still need to stand in line to mail them? I'd assume I would and just hand it to them and that would be that? Sorry for the beginner like questions and thanks for the input for anyone who responds!
ballahollic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 06:53 PM   #2 (permalink)

I have never heard about the label being the "wrong way", but when in doubt always try to make the package/envelope the neatest it can be.

No, you don't have to wait in line. You can:

1. Leave it in your mailbox (if you trust your neighborhood)
2. Drop it off at any blue Post Office box
3. Drop it off outside/inside the PO without waiting in line

That is one of the conveniences of using PP shipping.
Old 10-25-2012, 07:10 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thank you so much for the answer Rudy. Ebay puts free delivery confirmation on it when you print from them right? and even sending 1st class I can stick it in the blue post office boxes!? That would save so much time. I always thought they were just for those .65 envelopes. Never realized you could print out labels and if the package was small enough put it in there!
ballahollic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 07:30 PM   #4 (permalink)

You can even schedule a pickup at your home if you have a lot of packages or even priority/express stuff. You can schedule it online at usps.com. Not sure if they do it every where, but I have done it. You can either be home or you can leave it somewhere (you write where you are leaving it). I usually drop them in the blue boxes on my way to work unless it's going in one of the flat rate boxes/priority.

I collect serial numbered baseball cards!
tdbaseballcards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 08:12 PM   #5 (permalink)

Be careful, DC is free ONLY if the package qualifies. Meaning that you need to stuff a packing peanut in there so that the package is at least 3/4" (I believe, need this validated??). If you ship it w/ the FREE DC and it is NOT the correct thickness, you will get dinged for having incorrect postage or someone will get POSTAGE DUE when they receive their package.
Old 10-25-2012, 08:15 PM   #6 (permalink)

Granted I have a small PO so waiting in line isn't an issue, but I like to hand them in person making sure they all get a proper acceptance scan. That way there is atleast some proof they were sent incase they get lost or take to long to get to the buyer. They aren't always scanned at different locations.

Yes, you can drop them in the blue receptacles though.
bigzig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 01:10 AM   #7 (permalink)
Temporarily Suspended

Make certain the mailer exceeds 3/4" thickness. Include a used bubble mailer, don't use styrofoam peanuts (I've received bent cards because of them).

Also, don't tape over the barcode. This might not cause problems, but the instructions state that you should not do so.
fullmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 01:14 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyjustinfarrell View Post
Be careful, DC is free ONLY if the package qualifies. Meaning that you need to stuff a packing peanut in there so that the package is at least 3/4" (I believe, need this validated??). If you ship it w/ the FREE DC and it is NOT the correct thickness, you will get dinged for having incorrect postage or someone will get POSTAGE DUE when they receive their package.
My PO told me anything in a bubble mailer is considered parcel post Regardless of thickness
Old 10-26-2012, 03:03 PM   #9 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to nyisle

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyjustinfarrell View Post
Ok, someone needs to clarify this, I will have to do some research myself.... but in the past 8 years, I have never stuffed a packing peanut in a bubble mailer, and in the over 6000+ transactions I have never had a customer charged for extra shipping for not doing so.

I ship in Bubble Mailers only!! NO PWE!!!
nyisle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 03:50 PM   #10 (permalink)

YEA, when i ship a bubble mailer i print label from paypal..$1.64 dc included..not sure how label can be wrong way..its about same size as bubble mailer so i just tape it on....you can drop into any mailbox, or even leave in yours for mailman to take, if you go into po. just walk up and give em, skip the line...
Old 10-26-2012, 03:53 PM   #11 (permalink)
Temporarily Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyisle View Post
Ok, someone needs to clarify this, I will have to do some research myself.... but in the past 8 years, I have never stuffed a packing peanut in a bubble mailer, and in the over 6000+ transactions I have never had a customer charged for extra shipping for not doing so.

I have had packages arrive with postage due because of mailer thickness. If a mailer is less than 3/4" thick you can't ship with DC on a 1st Class Parcel, but you can on a Priority Parcel. Only certain offices audit this (I'm guessing). I've bought well over 10,000 items off eBay and I've received maybe a dozen that were shipped 1st class and USPS upgraded to Priority and charged me for the upgrade.

Some offices still allow bubble mailers sent at the letter rate, many do not. 1st Class letters are not eligible for DC.
fullmetal is offline   Reply With Quote