Blowout Cards Forums
Advertise On Forum

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Off Topic

Off Topic This section may contain threads that are NSFW. This section is given a bit of leeway on some of the rules and so you may see some mild language and even some risqué images. Please no threads about race, religion, politics, or sexual orientation. Please no self promotion, sign up, or fundraising threads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2012, 09:33 PM   #51 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmetal View Post
You realize that Roundup can be injested with zero adverse effects for most humans. You can literally drink it.
That actually explains quite a bit.
Andrew Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 09:36 PM   #52 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Jones View Post
That actually explains quite a bit.
OH my God...you are absolutely on fire!! Well played.....
Old 11-03-2012, 10:15 PM   #53 (permalink)

Not a big coffee drinker, so I occasionally treat myself to a Tim Horton's hot chocolate or a diet coke.

I get my caffeine in the morning from Earl Grey tea, if you're wondering .
Old 11-03-2012, 10:38 PM   #54 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoJays View Post
Not a big coffee drinker, so I occasionally treat myself to a Tim Horton's hot chocolate or a diet coke.

Of course we were wondering. I have heard a lot about this Earl Grey Tea. I am going to have to try it.
Old 11-03-2012, 11:36 PM   #55 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosieDively View Post
Of course we were wondering. I have heard a lot about this Earl Grey Tea. I am going to have to try it.
It's a new drink, hasn't been out for too long. Tough to find, you might have to shop around to find it.

I've got a guy in Bangledesh I buy from. Pretty decent prices, I can give you his email address if you'd like.

Tough to find and pretty pricy, but definitely worth trying.
Old 11-04-2012, 03:22 AM   #56 (permalink)

Sour Candy

I buy boxes of sour belts all the time and go through them in 1 week.

The sour the better... I hate when a new candy comes out and claims it very sour and it really isn't.

Ed Davis PC --> http://s1154.photobucket.com/albums/p525/MikeMamba/Ed%20Davis%20PC/
MikeMamba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 09:26 AM   #57 (permalink)

Quote:
It's a new drink, hasn't been out for too long. Tough to find, you might have to shop around to find it.

I've got a guy in Bangledesh I buy from. Pretty decent prices, I can give you his email address if you'd like.

Tough to find and pretty pricy, but definitely worth trying.
I am having a hard time telling if you are joking or not.
Old 11-06-2012, 09:39 AM   #58 (permalink)

Quote:

I've never heard of Tim Horton's until I traveled to Ontario last winter. Those places are EVERYWHERE! They are bigger than McDonalds (and have better sandwiches).

Side note, we have A&W restaurants where I live too, but we don't have the "Uncle Burger", which is by far my favorite fast food burger.
Old 11-06-2012, 01:29 PM   #59 (permalink)

Low-class strip joints, but only the REAL dives.

I am a network admin. If you see me laughing, pray you have a recent backup.
Deathgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:18 PM   #60 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by QT3point14 View Post
Dairy. I am lactose-sensitive so I have to severely limit my intake of most dairy products. I purchase fortified soymilk (I know many do not like the taste but I have never been bothered by it) and enriched almond milk. These products are great for reaching recommended calcium intakes and are fairly versatile.
Specifically on this, I have now resorted to having morning cereal with lactose free milk... I've read up on it quite a bit and it seems like it's really stuff taken out and nothing added which works for me. As I said before, I just can't get used to the taste of soy milk so the lactose free is very nice...
Nicnac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 11:28 PM   #61 (permalink)

Send a message via Skype™ to SethMurphy

Quote:
Today's guilty pleasure: wheat thins. I can't stop eating them!
Holy crap I did the same thing, love them

Wegman's Chocolate Chip ice cream. For anyone not in the northeast you won't know th brand but I'm hooked and have been since I was a little kid

PCs - Cito Culver, Ryan Callahan, Ryan Nassib college uni, Prince Amukamara autos #/25 or less, Jason Pierre-Paul, Eli Manning autos, Richter/Messier/Leetch
SethMurphy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 08:28 AM   #62 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicnac View Post
Specifically on this, I have now resorted to having morning cereal with lactose free milk... I've read up on it quite a bit and it seems like it's really stuff taken out and nothing added which works for me. As I said before, I just can't get used to the taste of soy milk so the lactose free is very nice...
With the understanding that it does not completely taste like regular cow’s milk, do these products have any kind of distinctive taste (i.e. the way soy and almond milks do)? I have never tried lactose-free milk but I bake a lot and many recipes call for a small amount of milk. I usually use regular cow’s milk but after using the required 2 tablespoons, I am left with a whole carton of milk I can’t otherwise use. It’s such a waste! Sometimes I substitute soy or almond milk but these products can impart a pretty distinctive taste, which isn’t always desirable depending on what I am baking.

On a somewhat tangential note, the other day, I was thinking how strange it is that the whole lactose thing is not a bigger issue for people but things like gluten and soy sensitivities, intolerances, and phobias are. The number of people affected by gluten sensitivities and intolerances is not even close to the number of people who eat gluten-free. (The market certainly wouldn’t support so many gluten-free products if the numbers were closer.) Maybe I just have a really skewed perception about the prevalence of lactase non-persistence in the general population?
Old 11-08-2012, 11:15 AM   #63 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by QT3point14 View Post
With the understanding that it does not completely taste like regular cow’s milk, do these products have any kind of distinctive taste (i.e. the way soy and almond milks do)? I have never tried lactose-free milk but I bake a lot and many recipes call for a small amount of milk. I usually use regular cow’s milk but after using the required 2 tablespoons, I am left with a whole carton of milk I can’t otherwise use. It’s such a waste! Sometimes I substitute soy or almond milk but these products can impart a pretty distinctive taste, which isn’t always desirable depending on what I am baking.

On a somewhat tangential note, the other day, I was thinking how strange it is that the whole lactose thing is not a bigger issue for people but things like gluten and soy sensitivities, intolerances, and phobias are. The number of people affected by gluten sensitivities and intolerances is not even close to the number of people who eat gluten-free. (The market certainly wouldn’t support so many gluten-free products if the numbers were closer.) Maybe I just have a really skewed perception about the prevalence of lactase non-persistence in the general population?
Milk: Lactose free? No. It's just milk, treated at high temperatures to break down the lactose. Honestly, even though I get 'whole milk' it has no taste to me. As in, it tastes like low fat milk. So, no, using it, you won't get any weird taste in the cookies as you do with soy.

Gluten: It's is an easy target. When someone suddenly develops a digestive problem, they react by cutting down on everything, dairy, sodas, alcohol, coffee, and, wheat. The problem goes away (or becomes lessened) and they add a few things back but remain convinced that gluten was the cause, because, according to everyone and their uncle, gluten was the cause. In fact, it was a temporary imbalance in bacteria, a bout of something or other, and gluten does nothing bad to them whatsoever.
I am not saying gluten allergies are a hoax but that, yes, it's a scapegoat for other problems in people who DON'T have gluten allergies.

So, back to milk: Yes, MANY people are lactose intolerant but, milk can't be bad for you can it? I mean cats love it. (Most cats are lactose intolerant too and you are actually being cruel to them giving them milk). Like humans they love it because it's like drinking dessert! Give cats water! So, these humans drink milk or have it with coffee and if their stomachs are a bit upset, or they fart a lot, it's just how they are. Take some tablets to relieve the problem and keep drinking milk. LOL.

I'm glad I did a bit of research into lactose free milk because it means I can enjoy my English tea again without worry (or the yucky soy taste).

(I also enjoy icecream... regular icecream).
Old 11-08-2012, 12:27 PM   #64 (permalink)

Coffee, Angry Orchard, and Stella.

Extremely hot Buffalo wings... I wanna feel the burn twice.
Peanuts 1 (1953)
Peanuts: 1-4 (1963-64)
Zerokruel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 12:33 PM   #65 (permalink)

Quote:
Milk: Lactose free? No. It's just milk, treated at high temperatures to break down the lactose. Honestly, even though I get 'whole milk' it has no taste to me. As in, it tastes like low fat milk. So, no, using it, you won't get any weird taste in the cookies as you do with soy.

Gluten: It's is an easy target. When someone suddenly develops a digestive problem, they react by cutting down on everything, dairy, sodas, alcohol, coffee, and, wheat. The problem goes away (or becomes lessened) and they add a few things back but remain convinced that gluten was the cause, because, according to everyone and their uncle, gluten was the cause. In fact, it was a temporary imbalance in bacteria, a bout of something or other, and gluten does nothing bad to them whatsoever.
I am not saying gluten allergies are a hoax but that, yes, it's a scapegoat for other problems in people who DON'T have gluten allergies.

So, back to milk: Yes, MANY people are lactose intolerant but, milk can't be bad for you can it? I mean cats love it. (Most cats are lactose intolerant too and you are actually being cruel to them giving them milk). Like humans they love it because it's like drinking dessert! Give cats water! So, these humans drink milk or have it with coffee and if their stomachs are a bit upset, or they fart a lot, it's just how they are. Take some tablets to relieve the problem and keep drinking milk. LOL.

I'm glad I did a bit of research into lactose free milk because it means I can enjoy my English tea again without worry (or the yucky soy taste).

(I also enjoy icecream... regular icecream).

My husband is obsessed with milk but he is very limited in the beverages he drinks. Milk, water and juice. He has never drank a beer, soda, etc. comparing it to a dessert actually makes a lot of sense because he has a major sweet tooth. He did get kidney stones from drinking too much milk.
Old 11-08-2012, 01:05 PM   #66 (permalink)

Blumpkins.
Old 11-08-2012, 02:19 PM   #67 (permalink)

Quote:
My husband is obsessed with milk but he is very limited in the beverages he drinks. Milk, water and juice. He has never drank a beer, soda, etc. comparing it to a dessert actually makes a lot of sense because he has a major sweet tooth. He did get kidney stones from drinking too much milk.
Interesting. Is he also a tea drinker (hot or iced, doesn't matter)?
Old 11-08-2012, 03:30 PM   #68 (permalink)

Quote:
Interesting. Is he also a tea drinker (hot or iced, doesn't matter)?
He only drinks hot tea once or twice a year.
Old 11-08-2012, 04:27 PM   #69 (permalink)

Mocha Frappucinos from Starbucks. Going into that place is the closest to being a Liberal I'll ever get.

Also television shows or movies with Karen Gillan in them, she's a fox.
frozenntimesports is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 11:51 PM   #70 (permalink)

I started following Robyn O'Brien on Twitter when a friend retweeted something she said and I found it interesting. She sometimes gets a little nuts, but you can get some interesting information from her. One thing she mentioned that kinda hit home, although I have not verified it as fact is this: "30 years ago, the US paid about 20% of their income on food and 5% on health care; now Americans spend about 5% of their income on food and 20% on health care." That was pretty interesting to me and makes a lot of sense, even if the numbers may or may not be exaggerated.

If what I see from my company is any indication, it seems we will be moving towards a high deductible insurance. I am all for that change. If I rarely go to the doctor or get meds, then my cost is very low; if someone goes all the time, then their cost is significantly higher. Then it becomes what it is supposed to be: insurance. You don't use your automobile insurance for a $300 ding because of the deductible. It is to be used for an actual event that you cannot pay for. Health insurance should be the same imo.

Anyways, long rant aside, I think if people spend a couple dollars more on their food and watch their diet and exercise, they will recoup those costs via healthcare. Obviously there are exceptions, but I think this would hold true for most people.
btimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 11:51 PM   #71 (permalink)

Oh and my guilty pleasure once a week is a Red Baron pepperoni pizza. They are sooo good.
btimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:36 AM   #72 (permalink)

I am thinking of making today's guilty pleasure Irish coffee. I think as long as I secure all exit points, unsafe objects and make lunch first the kids should be ok if I pass out.
Old 11-09-2012, 10:48 AM   #73 (permalink)

Quote:
I see what you are saying in your gluten example. It makes sense in that I can see how this kind of thought process would appeal to consumers. Parts of it are definitely supported by the extant psychological science literature (particularly in the decision sciences and choice theory stuff). But I guess I am curious as to why gluten, in particular. In your scenario, we could easily substitute the word “soy” for “gluten” and the basic logic and thought process would more or less remain unchanged.

When I was first thinking about this I thought it might have something to do with the anti-carb movement (i.e. people associate wheat gluten with carbs and because they think carbs are categorically bad, wheat gluten adopts negative associations). Not sure though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimm View Post
If what I see from my company is any indication, it seems we will be moving towards a high deductible insurance. I am all for that change. If I rarely go to the doctor or get meds, then my cost is very low; if someone goes all the time, then their cost is significantly higher. Then it becomes what it is supposed to be: insurance. You don't use your automobile insurance for a $300 ding because of the deductible. It is to be used for an actual event that you cannot pay for. Health insurance should be the same imo.

Anyways, long rant aside, I think if people spend a couple dollars more on their food and watch their diet and exercise, they will recoup those costs via healthcare. Obviously there are exceptions, but I think this would hold true for most people.
Without having given it much thought, one potential issue with a high-deductible model might be its effect on the aged. Given the current population structure in the U.S., such a model would have a disproportionate impact on those groups that would be least able to absorb these cost increases. (Older individuals are more likely to see a doctor more frequently and often will require more tests and procedures. They are also the ones who tend to have more limited budgets, fixed incomes, etc. relative to younger cohorts.)

I agree with you on your point about proactive measures and preventative “treatment.” I think the biggest hurdle here though is the increasing short-termism in all types of decision-making processes. I think we need to find a better way to communicate these long-term costs and benefits in a way that resonates with people so that it actually informs their day-to-day decisions. It’s a Herculean task to be sure but one that is in dire need of our collective attention, I think.
Old 11-09-2012, 11:13 AM   #74 (permalink)

Im not a big soda drinker but every once in a while I truly enjoy a Dr Pepper a can beacuse 20 oz. bottles are to much for me.That and breakfast burritos have them every Sunday with my twin with the 1st set of football games.Once I went to his house and my niece asked if I brought burritos and I hadn't dam near broke my heart lol since I didn't bring them that day
imbaked247 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 11:15 AM   #75 (permalink)

i love dry roasted and salted peanuts.

Don't ask me how much I want to offer. Come with a price in mind. If I don't want it or think it's worth that, I will let you know.
Clarka3 is offline   Reply With Quote