Blowout Cards Forums
Email Signup

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Off Topic

Off Topic This section may contain threads that are NSFW. This section is given a bit of leeway on some of the rules and so you may see some mild language and even some risqué images. Please no threads about race, religion, politics, or sexual orientation. Please no self promotion, sign up, or fundraising threads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2012, 04:50 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Why am I being paid minimum wage!?

Well for those of you that don't know I am a part time lab assistant at my school and I get paid minimum wage. It's not bad considering it's a pretty fun job! I get to play with bacteria and acids so I can't complain.

But today was pretty scary...

I was making some gels for protein electrophoresis and one of the ingredients is acrylamide. And for those who don't know, acrylamide is a nuerotoxin...

Anyway... as I was making these gels, somehow as I was pipetting the acrylamide, it squirt out of the top of the pippette tip and into my eye. (And I know what you're thinking "Why weren't you wearing safety goggles? Well, my instructor said that I wouldn't need it because it would be almost impossible for some of it to get in my eye unless I did it on purpose.)

Suffice to say, I freaked out. For those of you who are wondering how a neurotoxin feels in your eye, it doesn't feel like anything at all. Just water. That's what made it kind of scary. But thanks to my quick thinking I remembered there was an eye wash station and booked towards it. I literally stood there rinsing my eye out for a good fifteen minutes. The water was pretty cold, but I digress.

So in the end, I got my eye rinsed out really well and I was told by my instructor that I shouldn't die from the acrylamide but I should get my eye checked. So I headed to the eye doctor (I don't know the professional name so don't judge.), and I was told that since I rinsed my eye out so soon it should be fine.

Well that's the end of my life-threatning story. Thanks for reading
AKHMERICA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 04:54 PM   #2 (permalink)

Glad you are ok!
Old 10-30-2012, 04:54 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKHMERICA View Post
Well for those of you that don't know I am a part time lab assistant at my school and I get paid minimum wage. It's not bad considering it's a pretty fun job! I get to play with bacteria and acids so I can't complain.

I was making some gels for protein electrophoresis and one of the ingredients is acrylamide. And for those who don't know, acrylamide is a nuerotoxin...

Anyway... as I was making these gels, somehow as I was pipetting the acrylamide, it squirt out of the top of the pippette tip and into my eye. (And I know what you're thinking "Why weren't you wearing safety goggles? Well, my instructor said that I wouldn't need it because it would be almost impossible for some of it to get in my eye unless I did it on purpose.)

Suffice to say, I freaked out. For those of you who are wondering how a neurotoxin feels in your eye, it doesn't feel like anything at all. Just water. That's what made it kind of scary. But thanks to my quick thinking I remembered there was an eye wash station and booked towards it. I literally stood there rinsing my eye out for a good fifteen minutes. The water was pretty cold, but I digress.

So in the end, I got my eye rinsed out really well and I was told by my instructor that I shouldn't die from the acrylamide but I should get my eye checked. So I headed to the eye doctor (I don't know the professional name so don't judge.), and I was told that since I rinsed my eye out so soon it should be fine.

So you deserve more than minimum wage cause your a dumb azz?
Major_League is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 04:54 PM   #4 (permalink)

Seems like your instructor needs some lab safety training.

They're your eyes--if you are working with dangerous stuff, I'd wear protection if I were you.
Old 10-30-2012, 05:01 PM   #5 (permalink)

4.0 Yardale
Old 10-30-2012, 05:10 PM   #6 (permalink)

You really should have the proper PPE worn at all time. Your instructor should have his head examined, and his bosses should look at what kind of liability he is.

Where I work - if something like that happened, people would be suspended and or terminated for not having their PPE on. I get your situation is probably a little different - but it's pretty serious.
Peanuts 1 (1953)
Peanuts: 1-4 (1963-64)

Last edited by Zerokruel; 10-30-2012 at 05:21 PM.
Zerokruel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 05:11 PM   #7 (permalink)

Sue him! .
vwnut13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 05:19 PM   #8 (permalink)

Bummer man. Glad to hear you weren't seriously hurt.
bigcwd2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 06:03 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major_League View Post
So you deserve more than minimum wage cause your a dumb azz?
Yes lol jk. No I never realized how dangerous this job could actually be if things go wrong. And that fact that I'm being paid at minimum wage the whole time lol. But oh well A few college degrees and I'll be where I need to be

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHeel View Post
4.0 Yardale
South Park reference?

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeymcgee View Post
They're your eyes--if you are working with dangerous stuff, I'd wear protection if I were you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerokruel View Post
You really should have the proper PPE worn at all time. Your instructor should have his head examined, and his bosses should look at what kind of liability he is.

Where I work - if something like that happened, people would be suspended and or terminated for not having their PPE on. I get your situation is probably a little different - but it's pretty serious.

Yeah, I'm not gonna hide the fact that I'm at fault here as well. I need to learn that my instructor may not always be right I'm your classic seventeen year old, I do things before I think

And Zero mind if I ask where you work?
Old 10-30-2012, 06:11 PM   #10 (permalink)

I work in a food processing facility (OLAM), however we have some fun stuff for clean up and boiler care: Anhydrous ammonia, Sodium Hypochlorite, and about 15-20 other chemicals that Ecolab provides us.

Any supervisors, trainers, handlers, or receivers of chemicals have to go through a Hazwoper training every year here. I think I've done the class probably 4 times and will be doing it my 5th in two weeks.
Peanuts 1 (1953)
Old 10-30-2012, 06:19 PM   #11 (permalink)

the instructor told you not to worry about eye safety. wow. his ass should be fired and your education should be free.

always wear the damn goggles.

Don't ask me how much I want to offer. Come with a price in mind. If I don't want it or think it's worth that, I will let you know.
Clarka3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 06:22 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerokruel View Post
I work in a food processing facility (OLAM), however we have some fun stuff for clean up and boiler care: Anhydrous ammonia, Sodium Hypochlorite, and about 15-20 other chemicals that Ecolab provides us.

Any supervisors, trainers, handlers, or receivers of chemicals have to go through a Hazwoper training every year here. I think I've done the class probably 4 times and will be doing it my 5th in two weeks.
Aka a meth lab

Don't sugar coat it
tnarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 06:27 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnarg View Post
Aka a meth lab

Don't sugar coat it
Heisenberg ain't got S***T on me!
Peanuts 1 (1953)
Old 10-30-2012, 07:21 PM   #14 (permalink)

Labtech Bukake lol
Old 10-30-2012, 07:29 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKHMERICA View Post

If the potential for injury/exposure is there PPE should be worn at all times no matter how small the risk is. That's like a drivers ed instructor telling you the risk of you getting in a car wreck driving down the street isn't that high so you don't need to wear your seatbelt. Totally unacceptable!

Do your parents know this happened? I'd be ripping someone a new azzhole if that happened to any of my daughters!
Old 10-30-2012, 07:31 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibberish View Post
Labtech Bukake lol
Old 10-30-2012, 07:32 PM   #17 (permalink)

go into class with an eye patch tomorrow
dherm360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 07:46 PM   #18 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by iBLeeDBaTTLeReD View Post
If the potential for injury/exposure is there PPE should be worn at all times no matter how small the risk is. That's like a drivers ed instructor telling you the risk of you getting in a car wreck driving down the street isn't that high so you don't need to wear your seatbelt. Totally unacceptable!

Do your parents know this happened? I'd be ripping someone a new azzhole if that happened to any of my daughters!
Even if it is their own fault? When messing with chemicals like that you should make your own decision on if you want to wear safety goggles or not.
vc15jrich23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 07:52 PM   #19 (permalink)

Your instructor and the school is at fault! They should have filed an injury report. This is completely unaaceptable. You should get it checked out by a doctor in case there are any issues that come later.

Last edited by Stats; 10-30-2012 at 07:56 PM.
Stats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 07:54 PM   #20 (permalink)

well ok then
gussiethebussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 07:56 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dherm360 View Post
go into class with an eye patch tomorrow
Old 10-30-2012, 08:31 PM   #22 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

If your instructor told you it was OK not y=to wear safety goggles then he/she should not be employed as of tomorrow.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/jon-s-box-breaks-and-more
jlzinck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 08:37 PM   #23 (permalink)

Hehe loved the bukkake joke!

Anyway in the end, I've realized that it's both me and my professors fault. I mean he really shouldn't have said that I didn't need to wear goggles but on the other hand I'm an idiot for not wearing the goggles anyway and that was a severe mistake on my part.

But boy have I learned my lesson. It's all fun and games until someone gets acrylamide in their eye.

Last edited by AKHMERICA; 10-30-2012 at 08:40 PM.
Old 10-30-2012, 08:41 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibberish View Post
I would also like to +1 this original comment.

Glad you are okay! As far as the pay goes, I never understood it either. My buddy made more than minimum wage for his campus job to sit at a desk and do his homework.
"He went from sacking quarterbacks to tackling crime" - NFL Superpro #1
http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/comicbookjunkie/
LBSB333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 08:44 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stats View Post
Your instructor and the school is at fault! They should have filed an injury report. This is completely unaaceptable. You should get it checked out by a doctor in case there are any issues that come later.
Yeah I got checked up by a regular doctor and an eye physician and they've given me the thumbs up. I should be fine since I flushed out the acrylamide so quickly. Thank goodness!