Blowout Cards Forums
Email Signup

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Off Topic

Off Topic This section may contain threads that are NSFW. This section is given a bit of leeway on some of the rules and so you may see some mild language and even some risqué images. Please no threads about race, religion, politics, or sexual orientation. Please no self promotion, sign up, or fundraising threads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2012, 05:41 PM   #1 (permalink)

Thumbs down Bummed out

Just got word from my boss that due to the drop in business (oil & gas) the company is doing away with my shift (3rd) & I'll be going back to 2nd shift which i have come to hate (the schedule 3pm-1:30am) with a passion. Leaves me no time with wife and kids. Don't get me wrong I'm grateful that i still have a job but i dread the shift. I need to get out of this industry, it's so unstable.
Old 11-02-2012, 05:43 PM   #2 (permalink)

I am sorry to ear that. Hopefully, you can make the best of your weekends.
Old 11-02-2012, 05:45 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

Don't worry when they jack up prices on Wednesday or Thursday they will be busy. I've been trying to keep my gas tank full lately with the 50 or more cents cheaper its been over the last few weeks
freeman2jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 05:48 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosieDively View Post
I am sorry to ear that. Hopefully, you can make the best of your weekends.
Thanks Josie. That's the thing, with 3 shifts we were working 8 hrs 5-6 days a week so i had a full weekend off at least twice a month. With 2-10's we'll be going to 6 day work weeks with only Sundays off
Old 11-02-2012, 05:54 PM   #5 (permalink)

That sucks man. Imo 2nd shift is the worst possible shift for someone with a family. Atleast on 3rd you still get an evening with them. Thankfull you have a job for sure, but that can really put a strain on a family when you don't get to see them.

Hope things end up working out for the best.
bigzig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 06:11 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigzig View Post
That sucks man. Imo 2nd shift is the worst possible shift for someone with a family. Atleast on 3rd you still get an evening with them. Thankfull you have a job for sure, but that can really put a strain on a family when you don't get to see them.

Hope things end up working out for the best.
Thanks man. I've been with the company for 6 years now and was on 2nd for 4 years up until last year when i got promoted to Production Supervisor and got 3rd shift when business was booming. It was tolerable The majority of those 4 years because my daughters were not going to school but it killed me in 2010 when my daughter started and i was only seeing her in the morning Before she left for school
Old 11-02-2012, 09:25 PM   #7 (permalink)

Its tough when a shift change happens. I worked in a Bank for 7 years and had those Bank hours off at 5-6. Got offered a Management job at another company in Retail and next thing I know it I am in the store until 10 P.M. and working 12 hour days. I wish you the best and hope your old shift comes back!

Kevin
Old 11-02-2012, 10:29 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by iBLeeDBaTTLeReD View Post
Thanks Josie. That's the thing, with 3 shifts we were working 8 hrs 5-6 days a week so i had a full weekend off at least twice a month. With 2-10's we'll be going to 6 day work weeks with only Sundays off
That really sucks. I hope you get extra pay for that.
Old 11-02-2012, 11:11 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosieDively View Post
That really os. I hope you get extra pay for that.
Nope I'm on salary working 60 hr weeks most i can get is 8 hours overtime.
Old 11-03-2012, 12:59 AM   #10 (permalink)

I work for the post office as a letter carrier...since 2006 i have had exactly 8 scheduled saturdays off. Other wise i have worked 6 days a week (obviously i take vacation 3 times a year). You get used to the one day weekends fast. MAKE SUNDAY COUNT.
ntgm37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 10:53 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevJo View Post
Its tough when a shift change happens. I worked in a Bank for 7 years and had those Bank hours off at 5-6. Got offered a Management job at another company in Retail and next thing I know it I am in the store until 10 P.M. and working 12 hour days. I wish you the best and hope your old shift comes back!

Kevin
Same here, the only reason I took the promotion was because of the shift change. At that point I was desperate and willing to take on more responsibility if it meant more time with my family. Don't get me wrong 3rd shift is hard and puts a huge strain on the body but it gave me ALL DAY with my wife and kids so it was worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntgm37 View Post
I work for the post office as a letter carrier...since 2006 i have had exactly 8 scheduled saturdays off. Other wise i have worked 6 days a week (obviously i take vacation 3 times a year). You get used to the one day weekends fast. MAKE SUNDAY COUNT.
Wow kudos to you my friend. My issue isn't the 6 day work weeks, I also did that for the first 5 years before we brought on a 3rd shift last October. Its the schedule 3pm-1:30am, leaves no time to see my kids. By the time I get off of work they are asleep and the only time I'll see them is when they're eating breakfast before leaving for school. By the time they get out of school I already left for work.

My HEROES

Last edited by iBLeeDBaTTLeReD; 11-03-2012 at 10:59 AM.
iBLeeDBaTTLeReD is offline   Reply With Quote