Blowout Cards Forums
Metro Sports Cards

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Off Topic

Off Topic This section may contain threads that are NSFW. This section is given a bit of leeway on some of the rules and so you may see some mild language and even some risqué images. Please no threads about race, religion, politics, or sexual orientation. Please no self promotion, sign up, or fundraising threads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2012, 12:55 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Anyone live in or close to Seattle ?

My wife and I are looking to move to Seattle or around that area in August 2013 we are looking for a good/safe area to raise our 1 year old. it could be a house condo apartment with a price range of around $2100 a month. I have looked online at a couple of places but read some bad reviews. Could any of you reccomend an area before we talk to our realtor,the reason I ask that is because in the past some realtors only want to get you in the lease only to leave out some key details like gang activity 5 houses down murder rate and so on. Thanks.
Durkn55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 02:51 AM   #2 (permalink)

You can come to Spokane, it's much safer:-)
pejc300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 10:58 AM   #3 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

Do you have to live in Seattle proper? You could try looking in Tacoma. My wife and I are facing the exact same scenario with our 2 year old, and are considering Tacoma or Portland, OR (I know, not even Washington).
tajikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 01:19 PM   #4 (permalink)

Your probably looking for a place on the east side, Bellevue, Redmond, Kirkland, Mercer Island area. These places are expensive, as this is where all the programmers and engineers live. Crime rate is very low here and education is one of the best in the state ( some of the PUBLIC high schools in Bellevue are top 10 in the nation. This includes public and private.
Some other places could be Renton, or Bothell.

You'll want to stay out of areas south of Seattle. That's where gang activity is high.

I would star start your search in these areas and if those places aren't what your looking for star looking a little outside of Seattle. Good luck!

Last edited by Casebreaker; 11-03-2012 at 01:24 PM.
Casebreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 02:28 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

I live a couple hours south of Seattle, you could try Bremerton. It is a very nice area, I am probaly going to test with the police department there just to try and get on and move there.
vc15jrich23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 12:57 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vc15jrich23 View Post
I live a couple hours south of Seattle, you could try Bremerton. It is a very nice area, I am probaly going to test with the police department there just to try and get on and move there.
no offense, but nobody I know says that Bremerton is a nice area. it would be quite a drive from Seattle, but if you're looking on this side of the Puget Sound, Bremerton would not be a place I recommend. I'd say Port Orchard and Poulsbo are much nicer than the crap hole that is Bremerton.
Old 11-04-2012, 01:29 AM   #7 (permalink)

Yeah. Bremerton is a dump and do not listen to the guy that said Tacoma. Whatever you do, do not live in Tacoma. Might as well have told you to look for a nice apartment on MLK Way.

East side is really nice. Like someone else said. Low crime and great school districts. Mill Creek is a nice area. Close enough to downtown Seattle and the east side.
mufasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 01:43 AM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by screamingdc View Post
no offense, but nobody I know says that Bremerton is a nice area. it would be quite a drive from Seattle, but if you're looking on this side of the Puget Sound, Bremerton would not be a place I recommend. I'd say Port Orchard and Poulsbo are much nicer than the crap hole that is Bremerton.
So million dollar homes are crappy? And yes I have seen million dollar homes there. Just because your people say it's bad doesn't mean it is. Crime rate is a lot higher in Seattle than Bremerton (of course Seattle has more people).
vc15jrich23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 01:29 AM   #9 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

Quote:
Originally Posted by mufasa View Post
Yeah. Bremerton is a dump and do not listen to the guy that said Tacoma. Whatever you do, do not live in Tacoma. Might as well have told you to look for a nice apartment on MLK Way.

East side is really nice. Like someone else said. Low crime and great school districts. Mill Creek is a nice area. Close enough to downtown Seattle and the east side.
Had an Uncle that lived there for 25 years, never a single problem.
tajikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:36 PM   #10 (permalink)

Right on guys thanks for all the info, I think we are gonna look at a couple places on the east side,Bellevue, Mercer Island. Thanks.
Durkn55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:59 PM   #11 (permalink)

If you want to stay away from the bridges/tolls then avoid the East Side...try further north of Seattle like "Edmonds" & "Mill Creek" both have a smaller town feel, great town centers, good schools, and most shopping can be down close by at Alderwood Mall (Lynnwood) and in Mill Creek.

I live in Edmonds and it's a great town to raise your kids! They are very family friendly and they have children's parades and every holiday they have family centered events.
Old 11-05-2012, 01:45 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mufasa View Post

This guy is right on Tacoma is probably one of the worst places in Washington (if you're talking about crime rate) to raise a child, and I'd imagine many others can vouch for that. You can do much better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casebreaker View Post
Your probably looking for a place on the east side, Bellevue, Redmond, Kirkland, Mercer Island area. These places are expensive, as this is where all the programmers and engineers live. Crime rate is very low here and education is one of the best in the state ( some of the PUBLIC high schools in Bellevue are top 10 in the nation. This includes public and private.
Some other places could be Renton, or Bothell.

You'll want to stay out of areas south of Seattle. That's where gang activity is high.

I would star start your search in these areas and if those places aren't what your looking for star looking a little outside of Seattle. Good luck!
This guy is also right on I sent you a PM about another city, however if you don't find where I live suitable, I'd suggest Bellevue or Kirkland primarily. Bellevue is a very high-tech "small big town", and their schools are magnificent. Kirkland has a very active community and PLENTY of parks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durkn55 View Post
Right on guys thanks for all the info, I think we are gonna look at a couple places on the east side,Bellevue, Mercer Island. Thanks.
Definitely a good decision! Please do let me know when you make your final decision! However, if there's one piece of advice I can offer you before you come up to the Northwest:

ALWAYS bring a jacket wherever you go...75 degrees without a cloud in the sky? Doesn't matter. Hahaha Washington LITERALLY changes weather more than I brush my teeth
lagalaxyfan23 is offline   Reply With Quote