Blowout Cards Forums
Super Break

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Off Topic

Off Topic This section may contain threads that are NSFW. This section is given a bit of leeway on some of the rules and so you may see some mild language and even some risqué images. Please no threads about race, religion, politics, or sexual orientation. Please no self promotion, sign up, or fundraising threads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2012, 03:15 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Texting and driving...

Here is just a little reminder of what kind of devastation it can cause...

This happened last week down the road from my parents house where I grew up. Truly sickening and it bothered me for several days when I would think about it. The kid thought he had ran over an animal..

Texting teen runs over baby in roadway

Wanda English Burnett
Editor

Officers responded to an accident site last Thursday, October 25 to find a baby had been struck by a pickup truck in the Dabney area (4722 W. Hopewell Road).

CPR was in progress on Adrik Kei Hanaway, 14 months old of North Vernon, who was lying in the middle of the road when officers arrived.

Police say that he had been playing with his brother and sister in the yard and were unsure why he was in the road.

Jonathon Phillips, 19, of Holton, told officers he was driving his 1992 Ford Ranger pickup truck heading westbound on Hopewell Road and had been texting before the accident.

Phillips told police he looked down to set his cell phone down and that's when he hit something in the road. He said he thought he struck an animal and turned around to see what he had hit. It was then the teenager realized he had struck a child.

Officers say that Phillips was very distraught, but cooperated with investigators completely. Police say drugs and alcohol were not a factor in the accident.

The baby was taken by Rescue 69 personnel and the Ripley County Medic to Jennings County Hospital. From there he was flown by PHI to Riley Hospital in Indianapolis where he died from injuries received in the accident.

Adrik was described as a "happy, smiling boy." His mother told the media it was almost more than she could bear, saying she had already lost another son, Jayren. She told parents to hold their kids a little tighter.

Jedidiah and Alicia Hanaway, who are from North Vernon, noted they were at the home of a relative in Dabney helping to seal windows before the winter months. No one knows exactly why the child was unrestrained, as the mother told that she had buckled him into his car seat as they were almost ready to leave. She told media that she believed one of the children unbuckled the baby and that's how he got out.

The Hanaways say they feel if Phillips hadn't been texting the outcome might have been different.

According to Sheriff Tom Grills, "Law enforcement cannot reiterate enough that driving a vehicle requires all of the driver's attention." He went on to say, "Communication devices, radios, reading material, and applying make up, to name a few, are all things officers observe on the roadways that distracts drivers and leads to tragedies such as this."

A graveside service will be held at 11:00 a.m. on Wednesday, October 31 at Vernon Cemetery. The family is asking that memorials be made through Sawyer-Pickett Funeral & Cremation Service at PO Box 112, North Vernon, IN 47265 and will go to the family to help with costs at this time.

Grandparents of Adrik include Jim and Alma Hanaway of Queensville; Tom and Shirley Tyler (formerly of Holton) North Vernon; Leah Lopez, Columbus; Bill Brinson, North Vernon; Darrel & Pamela Simpson, Versailles, and Penny Wood, Madison.

Survivors also include a sister, Novalee and brother, Darius.

The accident is still under investigation by the Ripley County Sheriff's Office. They were assisted at the sceen by Osgood, Holton, and Versailles police departments, Indiana State Police, Holton Fire, Rescue 69 and Ripley County Medic.

Sheriff Grills told the Osgood Journal when the investigation is complete it will be forwarded to the prosecutor's office for review for any charges that might be filed.
lb_sa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 03:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

Yes texting and driving is stupid but I would also question the parents who let their 14 month old play in the street. I would never allow that for my kids (if I had any) and if for some reason that was the only option I would be right next to their side the whole time.
vc15jrich23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 03:24 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

What the hell was the kid doing in the street? And the driver could have been setting his drink down or anything else that would have taken his attention off the road and still hit the 1 year old in the street, but it all comes down to why was there a 1 year old unsupervised in the middle of the street. The driver will be punished enough having the images of the dead child he ran over in his mind for the rest of his life. Definetly feel bad but it's not completely the drivers fault.
Chaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 03:26 PM   #4 (permalink)

Oh, believe me.. They will get charged with negligence or something of the sort also.

From what I've heard, the kid was outside with his sister and they were playing in the yard and their house is pretty much right off the road. The parents have to live with that for the rest of their lives. Pretty crazy and careless on both sides, and just a messed up situation. So sad.
Old 11-03-2012, 03:28 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaz View Post
What the hell was the kid doing in the street? And the driver could have been setting his drink down or anything else that would have taken his attention off the road and still hit the 1 year old in the street, but it all comes down to why was there a 1 year old unsupervised in the middle of the street. The driver will be punished enough having the images of the dead child he ran over in his mind for the rest of his life. Definetly feel bad but it's not completely the drivers fault.
The parents said they were just getting them out of the vehicle after coming home from the store and they were just standing there while they grabbed groceries. I heard he was playing with his sister as well. Who knows what really happened..

Crazy though.
Old 11-03-2012, 03:32 PM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lb_sa View Post
The parents said they were just getting them out of the vehicle after coming home from the store and they were just standing there while they grabbed groceries. I heard he was playing with his sister as well. Who knows what really happened..

Crazy though.
So brutal and so sad
Old 11-03-2012, 03:34 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaz View Post
So brutal and so sad
No doubt, I just can't imagine being involved in any way. One of the craziest things I've ever heard and it literally happened a half mile down the road from my parents.
Old 11-03-2012, 04:54 PM   #8 (permalink)

Texting and driving is just about the stupidest thing you can do. Shame on anyone who does it.

Is it illegal in the US? I know it was recently made illegal here in Canada (and for good reason).
Old 11-03-2012, 04:57 PM   #9 (permalink)

What a horrible situation. I can't even imagine what the parents or the driver must be going through right now. I don't understand why the children were left unatteneded even if the child was strapped into his car seat. Which at that age, should have been rear facing and very hard for the other kids to get him out of.
Old 11-03-2012, 05:14 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoJays View Post
Texting and driving is just about the stupidest thing you can do. Shame on anyone who does it.

Is it illegal in the US? I know it was recently made illegal here in Canada (and for good reason).
Distracted Driving | State Laws | Texting and Driving

The law varies state by state as do most driving laws in the US.

In New York the law is NO handheld usage & NO text for ALL while driving.

In Texas NO text and NO handheld & NO HANDSFREE ban seems to apply to bus drivers and novice drivers.
(as well as ALL in school zone)

Meanwhile, Montana has no laws about this
55 Orlando Hudson,150 Homer Bailey,191 Edinson Volquez, MHRC536 Mantle HR #536

Last edited by MetDude; 11-03-2012 at 05:18 PM.
MetDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 05:34 PM   #11 (permalink)
Banned

Talking on the phone is alot safer than texting is. The government screwed up by making it illegal in most states to talk on the phone so people just text so the cops can't see the phone.
Old 11-03-2012, 05:46 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoJays View Post

Some cities & towns are making it a offense (traffic) to be texting & driving. It is very sad to hear this story.
pmannings#1fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 05:47 PM   #13 (permalink)
Banned

My new car has bluetooth through the GPS so thats cool but I hate how sometimes people cant hear me. I drive back and forth from CO to NE every week and I text way to much. I have came close plenty of times to crashing into something. I need to stop. It is very dangerous. I never would text when I had my kids with me though.
BroncosFAN#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 06:22 PM   #14 (permalink)

I just check my phone when I stop on a red light. But never reply to my texts.

Ed Davis PC --> http://s1154.photobucket.com/albums/p525/MikeMamba/Ed%20Davis%20PC/
MikeMamba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 10:11 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosieDively View Post
What a horrible situation. I can't even imagine what the parents or the driver must be going through right now. I don't understand why the children were left unatteneded even if the child was strapped into his car seat. Which at that age, should have been rear facing and very hard for the other kids to get him out of.
Yeah, I have a hard time believing this story. Seems like the parents are covering for their negligence. I mean, I have a 3yo and 2yo and I don't even go in the front yard to play with them when it is just me and my wife is not home. I can't even imagine NO parents out there.

It seems 50/50 for the responsibility. You cannot ever justify the texting issue just because of parental neglect; and the opposite holds true as well.
btimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 12:17 AM   #16 (permalink)

Tragic story and a freak accident, gotta feel for all those involved. A lot more states are banning texting and handheld cell phone use while driving, but realistically a $50 fine is pointless and does nothing to enforce laws. Wish these politicians would get it right someday.....want people to stop texting while driving? 6 month jail sentence 1st offense....want peop,e to stop drinking and driving?....mandatory minimum 1 year jail sentence for first offense.....then you'll see traffic fatalities and all that drop significantly, imo
Bader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 12:18 AM   #17 (permalink)

Sooner or later someone will come up with a way to block all phone coverage while the car is in gear.
Luke 2:11- Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; he is the Messiah, the Lord
mnvikingstwins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 12:23 AM   #18 (permalink)

I am a fedex express driver and I sit higher then the average drive so I can see clear as day what people are doing...I would say about 4 out of 10 people are texting while driving on a regular basis... I would say 5 out of 7 younger girls 16-25 range are texting while driving and at every single stop sign or light.. I lost a good friend to a 17 year kid texting while driving.... it way past out of hand.... I have said all along the government needs to mandate all cars need a automatic lock on cell phone use while a car is moving.. it would be very simple software to install to a car....
Old 11-04-2012, 01:28 AM   #19 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bader View Post
Tragic story and a freak accident, gotta feel for all those involved. A lot more states are banning texting and handheld cell phone use while driving, but realistically a $50 fine is pointless and does nothing to enforce laws. Wish these politicians would get it right someday.....want people to stop texting while driving? 6 month jail sentence 1st offense....want peop,e to stop drinking and driving?....mandatory minimum 1 year jail sentence for first offense.....then you'll see traffic fatalities and all that drop significantly, imo
I have 2 talking on the phone while driving tickets (have to for work) and they were $250 each and got me to stop talking on the phone while driving.