Blowout Cards Forums
Blaster Master

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Off Topic

Off Topic This section may contain threads that are NSFW. This section is given a bit of leeway on some of the rules and so you may see some mild language and even some risqué images. Please no threads about race, religion, politics, or sexual orientation. Please no self promotion, sign up, or fundraising threads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2009, 06:41 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Getting the significant other involved...

Just wanted to see how other significant others deal with our 'hobby'....mine just happen to come across the bill for another Exquisite Football Box and pitched a fit! I'm just curious if other peoples better half are with them in collecting or do they dispise it as much as mine does. If they do enjoy the hobby with you, how did you do it!!!...haha....thanks!
jlcherry2477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 07:41 AM   #2 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

My wife doesn't really get mad at me but I don't buy a whole lot any more. Every Christmas and birthday(which is Friday by the way) all I ask for is a card off of my want list. In the 13 years we have been together she has only bought me one card. I had sold off my collection but did keep that one card.
Old 09-14-2009, 07:59 AM   #3 (permalink)

As old as the argument is, at least you have a commodity that can be bought or sold at a later date. If you buy $100 in lottery tickets and don't win a thing, you now have 100 pieces of worthless paper. But... you better cut down on your other vices. Mine just rolls her eyes.
rudyjustinfarrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 10:53 AM   #4 (permalink)

I just embezzle money and say that I sold some of my cards to buy other cards or wax. She's clueless.
tnarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 11:10 AM   #5 (permalink)

My wife looked at one of my statements from a personal bank account I had. It's from before we were married. That was no fun. The only thing it had on it was gas, groceries, and LCS. Lost my balls for a weeks.

Now she isn't so bad, but then again I changed that account to paperless!
Peanuts 1 (1953)
Peanuts: 1-4 (1963-64)
Zerokruel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 11:15 AM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

I got my Girlfriend hooked on hockey cards when i bought her one pack and she pulled a yg of Patrick Kane, (yes i was jealous) and now she can't stop buying them haha she warned me not to get her hooked on it but i did
sjsharkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 11:25 AM   #7 (permalink)

I just took my wife to the lcs yesterday too try and get her hooked... But she just got mad that I spent $60.00 and got sht! She is right I should just get the card I want. Ripping is fun but for the most part I just buy singles. I think she is ok with that, and if not what she does not know wont kill her
Oh yeah and we have our own bank Acts.
Old 09-14-2009, 11:54 AM   #8 (permalink)

My wife enjoys pack busting ALMOST as much as I do! I got her started when we were first dating (13 years ago) and it has become one of our favorite things to do together. We go to our LCS with a set spending limit, buy our stuff and bust them in the car before we go home. I get what ever we pull, decide whether we put it on ebay or keep for later then split whatever the auction ends at and it starts all over again. It works for us!!
D3A3L3E3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 12:52 PM   #9 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo675675 View Post
Oh yeah and we have our own bank Acts.

This TOTALLY blows me away. Are you planning on getting rid of her soon?

Never understood married people having separate accounts.

GLWT,
jlzinck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 02:10 PM   #10 (permalink)

My wife is now somewhat into the hobby and sometimes encourages me to buy cards (she is such an enabler), especially if they are from one of her favorite brands to bust (Thanks A&G). She will go out with me to check out cards and even tell me to get things that I am only borderline 50/50 on buying because she knows I end up regretting passing up a good deal. Now with that said, I can't go wild, but a few bucks here and few bucks there is rarely debated.
So my advice is this. If your gal doesn't understand your hobby, like my wife once didn't, try to find something she likes. It could be because of its design, price, player selection, or whatever and use that as a gateway drug (let's admit it, cards can be addicting sometimes), which then allows you to satisfy your need to bust while she is having fun at the same time. It worked for me!

Last edited by ilovethelakings; 09-14-2009 at 02:15 PM.
ilovethelakings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 02:23 PM   #11 (permalink)

My wife just says, " those are nice, what do you want for supper?"

The only type of cards she really likes are the family sketches Ted does for us
Old 09-14-2009, 02:39 PM   #12 (permalink)

My wife could care less about sports cards. But her and our daughter love the girly cards. They buy pokemon, the dang one with horses, and webkinz, and some others. We never make large purchases without telling each other.

If you keep nothing from your wife, I find that it makes life oh so easy.
Teambo1634 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 02:45 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teambo1634 View Post
My wife could care less about sports cards. But her and our daughter love the girly cards. They buy pokemon, the dang one with horses, and webkinz, and some others. We never make large purchases without telling each other.

If you keep nothing from your wife, I find that it makes life oh so easy.
This has worked for me for 30+ years
Old 09-14-2009, 03:04 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlzinck View Post

GLWT,
We both work and we both put a good amount of money into our joint account every month to pay our bills, vacation, expenses, etc...

Then we each have our pre-marriage accounts which we still put money in and she saves every penny and I buy cards. She likes looking at new cards when they come in and is kinda getting into it a little, but not buying her own yet.

She is kinda like a kid getting into it, saying, that is a cool card, for common inserts. It's very refreshing.

I am very lucky because she understands, it is my hobby and it makes me happy and it will eventually make us money. Like when I bought my "doll" collection of All Star Vinyl, she would say you got more dolls today.lol

But she knows I am going to put them all on littles shelves around my bar area one day and she likes them. Like I said, I am very lucky.

Oh and by the way she loves hockey and football!
Never Forget 9/11, Be Diligent and Safe!

Last edited by Vintage Collector; 09-16-2009 at 08:21 AM.
Vintage Collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 03:37 PM   #15 (permalink)

My wife thinks I need to grow up and stop spending insane amounts of $$ on pieces of cardboard with pictures & numbers
Old 09-14-2009, 03:52 PM   #16 (permalink)

I always get the "it is just a piece of cardboard" response unless it is an awesome auto or game used card.
vatechhokiefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 05:39 PM   #17 (permalink)

I got my wife into busting cards when I was buying a blaster box from Target.. Got her 2008 Topps Mayo football since I do football only.. I had my fingers crossed that her box would have something cool in it just so she would catch the fever.. She ended up getting a Darren McFadden jersey card. So that was all it took to get her into my hobby. She was born in Chicago so being a huge Bulls fan wanted to rip basketball only. Her biggest pull so far in one day was ripping a pack open to see that she had a 3 color Jordan jersey relic which almost brought her to tears. We were sitting out in the car & she wanted to go back in & buy more. So I told her if you feel like your on a hot streak then ride it out. So she went back into the store & came back out with 2 more packs. She could not believe it when the very next pack was another Jordan jersey relic card with one color (red). Good thing that next pack was not Jordan or she would have probably emptied the bank account buying up as much as she could. On the flip side she totally hates Tony Parker so the only 2 cards I have ever seen her throw across the room was when she pulled a Tony Parker auto and when she pulled a triple jersey of Iverson, Nash, Parker. She told me that she did not want those cards anywhere near her collection. So she even has her own storage boxes, penny sleeves, top loaders, & magnetic cases ready to case up her next good pull. I am not a collector that like to rip & flip so I buy singles only for my PC. There are times when we are on the way to the LCS to pick up a couple singles I had bought & I have to tell her "NO BOXES" or otherwise she will talk me into spending 150-200 more than I had planned. I have even told her that I would have to sneak over to the LCS without her just so I could pick up my $20 worth of singles.
Old 09-14-2009, 09:40 PM   #18 (permalink)

My wife and I have seperate checking accounts also. We also have a couple of joint accounts we both put into when we can for savings, vacations, etc. It's nice to have your own slush fund to do what you want with.
I use the 24 hour rule with all of my purchases, not just cards. If you can get it into the house without her noticing for 24 hours, your in the clear. If she asks about it after 24 hours, you just say, "that old thing? it's been here forever!!" LOL

STUMP
Check out my photobucket by clicking on my homepage in the drop down list under my username. Looking for any Twins cards I don't have, and Mickey Mantle refractors that I don't have. I will trade for bait, on occasion. 2011 Topps Chrome auto set completed!!
stumpfreeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 10:17 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gman71 View Post
My wife thinks I need to grow up and stop spending insane amounts of $$ on pieces of cardboard with pictures & numbers
And pictures of GUYS to top it off
Old 09-14-2009, 11:08 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by papajim View Post
This has worked for me for 30+ years
This has worked for me for 8 years now. (We had a divorce scare a few months back but that is over) Might not think its a big deal, but 8 years for my generation is huge. Fortunately she still thinks I'm the bomb, so the wool is still over her eyes. Yes fellas, I married up, and I'm proud of it.

As for the hobby, she used to get annoyed, but I don't spend nearly what I did on it and a couple of times she told me to go ahead and buy something when I was deliberating.

She really likes it when the kids get into the mix. They like to play with the wrappers and I keep the good stuff away from their dirty hands. They had a ball breaking a case of Hannah Montana cards a few weeks ago. I never thought I'd have that much fun with something like that.

Wait for the right opportunity and be ready to accept that she may never, ever, like your hobby. How many things do our wives do that we can't see the point of?
“Life is a storm, my young friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes. You must look into that storm and shout as you did in Rome. Do your worst, for I will do mine! Then the fates will know you as we know you.”
frozenntimesports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 12:06 AM   #21 (permalink)

My wife is actually pretty cool about my "hobby." I am actually more of a memorabilia collector than a card collector (but I do spend a few hundred a month on cards...but not even close to what I spend in memorabilia). Before we were married I was a huge collector of cards/memorabilia......so basically before she said "I do", she already knew what she was getting into. But I basically have over $100k in memorabilia right now in my man cave. And my wife hasn't been in this room for probly over 5 months (she doesn't want to go in because she is afraid of breaking or ruining something). So I keep adding to the card/memorabilia collection and she keeps seeing more dollar signs when I decide to sell the collection to retire. But don't get me wrong, when she sees a few of the CC statements......I do get some crap for it, but she just evens it out by going on a shopping spree. No compaints here from my wife, she makes it all pretty easy for me.

Always Looking For Zetterberg Patch Autos
vortekv8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 01:12 AM   #22 (permalink)

Each time my wife learns of my spending, she tears off my testicles one at a time and then I have to earn them back over time by doing good deeds and stuff. The joke is really on her since I rarely use them anymore.
Old 09-15-2009, 03:33 AM   #23 (permalink)

Not married yet but engaged and seeing her go from clueless about the hobby to buying and ripping with me has been great. She actually bought me my first box of National Treasures the first year we were together. We have ripped cases together and we are both competitive , so if I get a great hit she wants to pull something better. She has bought me singles as well as boxes for just about every occassion as well as just random suprises. We are both good with our money and she sees things the same way I do. If we both work demanding jobs and make good money then there should be no problem spending money on a hobby or anything else that makes us happy and I love her for that.
She has never said I can't believe you spent that on cards but has said I can't wait to you/we get some more cards to rip.

"Sometimes it is better to remain silent and be thought an idiot than to open your mouth and remove all doubt...."
bigmon80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 04:04 AM   #24 (permalink)

Sounds like a keeper bigmon.
ilovethelakings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 07:23 AM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlzinck View Post

GLWT,
Not any time soon. We have two boys together.
Are you married? And if so do you and your wife drive one car, or do you "EACH" own your own car Whats the difference...