Blowout Cards Forums
eBay Card Event 4/27/14 SM

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Off Topic

Off Topic This section may contain threads that are NSFW. This section is given a bit of leeway on some of the rules and so you may see some mild language and even some risqué images. Please no threads about race, religion, politics, or sexual orientation. Please no self promotion, sign up, or fundraising threads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2009, 05:07 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default DVD Question

I just purchased a DVD overseas that I have been meaning to get for some time (Chopper). I go to play it today on both a portable and our tv and it tells me I cannot play it in this region?????

Any help much apprecaited.

fidrych
shadetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 05:14 PM   #2 (permalink)

I found this info on the web

DVD region codes is a DRM technique designed to allow motion picture studios to control aspects of a release, including content, release date, and, especially, price, according to the region. DVD video discs may be encoded with a region code restricting the area of the world in which they can be played. The commercial DVD player specification requires that a player to be sold in a given place not play discs encoded for a different region.
Discs without region coding are called all region or region 0 discs. In addition, many DVD players can be modified to be region-free, allowing playback of all discs. There are six different regions on the DVD, while Blu-ray Disc only has three. Also, major DVD player manufacturer countries (Japan, United States etc.) all have different regions, which caused problems for many. This is fixed in Blu-ray, as Japan (and other East Asian countries) and the Americas all have the same region.
Bill22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 05:17 PM   #3 (permalink)

You need a multi-region player to watch the disc. There are some on the market and can be fairly inexpensive. I buy discs in Mexico that are region 4, but can watch them on the multi-region I have.
ilovethelakings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 05:17 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadetre View Post
I just purchased a DVD overseas that I have been meaning to get for some time (Chopper). I go to play it today on both a portable and our tv and it tells me I cannot play it in this region?????

Any help much apprecaited.

fidrych

I have heard of this before but never had the problem myself.. I included a link to wikipedia on DVD Region Codes..

DVD region code - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by cope7279; 09-14-2009 at 05:18 PM. Reason: Added link
cope7279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 05:55 PM   #5 (permalink)

The other thing you have to watch out for is if they are NTSC or PAL formats. In general North American players/DVD's are NTSC and European players/DVD's are PAL.
galar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 06:36 PM   #6 (permalink)

why not order it off netflix?

"Thank the Lord for that burning bush, that big body Benz I was born to push..." - Just What IAm
nuggetsman28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 06:55 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuggetsman28 View Post
why not order it off netflix?
because if he had to find it in europe then chances are it is not made for the u.s or was discontuied in the u.s. happens all the time with older movies they were made on vhs but when vhs died alot of vhs movies were not made in dvd format!!!!!
248rayment4343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 08:57 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 248rayment4343 View Post
because if he had to find it in europe then chances are it is not made for the u.s or was discontuied in the u.s. happens all the time with older movies they were made on vhs but when vhs died alot of vhs movies were not made in dvd format!!!!!
ok but im sure you can find it on ebay or craigslist or something!!

"Thank the Lord for that burning bush, that big body Benz I was born to push..." - Just What IAm
nuggetsman28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 11:23 AM   #9 (permalink)

I love this board. Thanks for all the insight. I ended up buying the movie (chopper) on ebay, but never caught whether they mentioned any sort of code issues.

Can I buy one of these multi region DVD players at Best Buy or am i better of on Ebay?

thanks again

fidrych
shadetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 05:20 PM   #10 (permalink)

I don't believe you can find multi-region players in stores. You'll probably be better of looking for one on Ebay. Once you have one, you never have to worry about regions ever again.
ilovethelakings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 07:26 PM   #11 (permalink)

You can also try and watch it on your computer. Most Media Players allow you to change the region code in the advanced settings, some DVD players also allow you to change the code in the setting menu.
07 Adrian Peterson RC AUTO NATIONAL TREASURES Signature Gold (Serial/25).
See @ s368.photobucket.com/albums/oo122/ilovenip/Cards/TOP%203%20PULLS
ilovenip is offline   Reply With Quote