Blowout Cards Forums
Summer Sale

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Off Topic

Off Topic This section may contain threads that are NSFW. This section is given a bit of leeway on some of the rules and so you may see some mild language and even some risqué images. Please no threads about race, religion, politics, or sexual orientation. Please no self promotion, sign up, or fundraising threads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2012, 11:41 AM   #1 (permalink)
Banned

Default Does anyone here have a solar watch? If so a couple questions.

My watch finally decided to break down on me, it still says the time but I can not change the date or the day on it so I am looking at new ones and found one but it is solar powered, I am just curious how any of you like the solar powered watches? Any problems with them and what is the life expectency out of them? Also a dumb question but the lady at the jewelry store said it works from light so does that mean it'll quit working in the middle of the night? I leave it next to my bed and sometimes work graveyard shift, where there is not much light to make it "work". I have tried to do some reviews online but only reviews for watch stores come up.
Thanks in advance,
Jeff and PS this is the watch im looking at the Seiko SNE179

vc15jrich23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 11:57 AM   #2 (permalink)

I've got one, worked great for about 5 years, then the internal battery stopped holding a charge (my theory). I can sit it in a window, facing the sun all day and it will work for maybe 3 hours after that.

Took it to the shop it was bought from and their only option is to send it back to the manufacturer. I may still do this as I like the watch.
mainerunr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 12:02 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainerunr View Post
I've got one, worked great for about 5 years, then the internal battery stopped holding a charge (my theory). I can sit it in a window, facing the sun all day and it will work for maybe 3 hours after that.

Took it to the shop it was bought from and their only option is to send it back to the manufacturer. I may still do this as I like the watch.
Which one do you have? I have only had one "real" watch that I got 9 years ago for graduating high school and had to change the battery twice on it. I do not want to spend $141.00 for a watch that may break in three years.

I suggest you send it back to the company.
Old 11-06-2012, 12:48 PM   #4 (permalink)

Yeah my parents bought me a Seiko Solar Dive Watch for Christmas a few years ago and my watch is still going strong. I haven't had any problems with it so far. And to answer your question about it working at night, it still works in the dark. The watch doesn't just use all if the energy it actually stores most of it. It runs throughout the night so you don't have to worry. My watch hasn't stopped once! I highly recommend solar watches
AKHMERICA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 01:08 PM   #5 (permalink)

I have a Pulsar Solar that I bought For $99.00 in 1997 and it is great! It's water resistant 100m and has the "indiglo" glow in the dark green look. The only problem I have had is with the stem. It somehow pulls out slightly and gives impression that the watch is broken. It has to be pushed in all the way for the second hand to move and when I do that, it works fine. I LOVE it!
Hallco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 02:05 PM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

thanks for the response and answering the questions, it looks like this will be on my xmas list this year.
Old 11-06-2012, 04:13 PM   #7 (permalink)

I have a Citizen Eco-Drive and it's nice, never had a problem with it. It always keeps time. It's just like this one:
Kay - Citizen Men's Watch
thebear29 is offline   Reply With Quote