Blowout Cards Forums
Email Signup

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Off Topic

Off Topic This section may contain threads that are NSFW. This section is given a bit of leeway on some of the rules and so you may see some mild language and even some risqué images. Please no threads about race, religion, politics, or sexual orientation. Please no self promotion, sign up, or fundraising threads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2012, 01:11 AM   #26 (permalink)

I live in Colorado
mikebsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 01:14 AM   #27 (permalink)
Banned

Marijuana is much safer than alcohol and I agree with it being legalized. I dont smoke but it serves a much better purpose than alcohol. It just needs to be regulated the right way and it will help more than it hurts.
BroncosFAN#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 01:19 AM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by friarbolt View Post
It opens up a whole new can of worms though. Obviously the number of people doing it will increase significantly and therefore increase the chances of bad things happening.

It's just not worth the risk, after all what is the upside? Well, most people use the freedom argument, but again my logic is that with how harmful and potentially dangerous it can be that's not a very good argument. Then there's legalize it because people do it anyway. I don't like that argument either because increasing the usage isn't a good thing, at least having it taboo and illegal keeps it in check to an extent. All that really leaves is do it because it's fun and I like it, but I would hope most people would see the big picture and realize that just because it's "fun" doesn't make it safe or healthy or worth it to smoke it. You have to be very selfish and short-sighted to overlook all the circumstances and issues to be solely focused on getting high regardless of the consequences. And unfortunately most of of country is that way. Instant gratification, lazy, no accountability. This is modern America.
it all comes down to personal accountability. if it was completely legal like alcohol would i smoke again? yes, but no more than i do with alcohol which is not often. would some people abuse it more? yes, but no more than someone that already abuses alcoholic. too be honest i'd rather see a bunch of potheads walking around than alcoholics, they are 2 totally different breeds of addicts.
Burt-Reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 01:19 AM   #29 (permalink)

You want to know why it's not legalized, nor will it be? (Federally) because the amount of jobs lost for legalizing it will be astounding... You ever wonder why we haven't stepped up to help Mexico snuff their drug cartel problem? Federal jobs would slowly trickle away. It's hard being a Drug Enforcement Agency with no dope to go after...
Old 11-07-2012, 01:26 AM   #30 (permalink)

Maybe if weed is legal our DEA can get a tighter hold on the other illicit drugs because the gangs will no longer be dealing weed. Also they can sure crack down on the perscription drug abuse problem big time.

Jacquizz Rodgers Collector!
washingtonmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 01:27 AM   #31 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadedaniel84 View Post
You want to know why it's not legalized, nor will it be? (Federally) because the amount of jobs lost for legalizing it will be astounding... You ever wonder why we haven't stepped up to help Mexico snuff their drug cartel problem? Federal jobs would slowly trickle away. It's hard being a Drug Enforcement Agency with no dope to go after...
i agree to a extent. no doubt weed is heavily trafficked, but dea would be kept plenty busy by all the crackheads and tweakers. plenty of real and harmful drugs out in the big bad world to keep them busy.
Old 11-07-2012, 01:30 AM   #32 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burt-Reynolds View Post
i agree to a extent. no doubt weed is heavily trafficked, but dea would be kept plenty busy by all the crackheads and tweakers. plenty of real and harmful drugs out in the big bad world to keep them busy.
True, but the federal cuts and layoffs would have the criminal justice system in an uproar... Militia type uproar.
Old 11-07-2012, 01:30 AM   #33 (permalink)

Quote:
it all comes down to personal accountability. if it was completely legal like alcohol would i smoke again? yes, but no more than i do with alcohol which is not often. would some people abuse it more? yes, but no more than someone that already abuses alcoholic. too be honest i'd rather see a bunch of potheads walking around than alcoholics, they are 2 totally different breeds of addicts.
Personal accountability is all well and good, but unfortunately many people have none. These are the same majority that helped pass a proposition like this. You would control your smoking just like I control my drinking. And that's wonderful, I don't deny that there are many people like us who are smart enough to practice moderation.

But there are way too many people who can't control their use and/or don't want to control it. If it didn't hurt anybody then who cares, their choice let them live with the consequences. But because it can potentially affect others, that's where I have the issue. It may take smoking a ton of pot to get someone to die from it, but this only increases the chances somebody tries. There may be way fewer accidents compared to drunk driving, but this only increases the chances. I just don't see what good comes of something like this at the end of the day. We have to deal with enough idiots in general, then we factor in alcohol and tobacco abuse. Weed will just be another problem, we both know the vast majority of people supporting something like this did not do it for honorable reasons like freedom or government regulation.
My Bucket, always selling and trading: http://s1204.photobucket.com/user/kramerattack/library/
friarbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 01:32 AM   #34 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by washingtonmark View Post
Maybe if weed is legal our DEA can get a tighter hold on the other illicit drugs because the gangs will no longer be dealing weed. Also they can sure crack down on the perscription drug abuse problem big time.
It's not "jonny" on the corner I'm worried about, it's Abbott labs and other big business.
Old 11-07-2012, 01:41 AM   #35 (permalink)

Quote:
Personal accountability is all well and good, but unfortunately many people have none. These are the same majority that helped pass a proposition like this. You would control your smoking just like I control my drinking. And that's wonderful, I don't deny that there are many people like us who are smart enough to practice moderation.

But there are way too many people who can't control their use and/or don't want to control it. If it didn't hurt anybody then who cares, their choice let them live with the consequences. But because it can potentially affect others, that's where I have the issue. It may take smoking a ton of pot to get someone to die from it, but this only increases the chances somebody tries. There may be way fewer accidents compared to drunk driving, but this only increases the chances. I just don't see what good comes of something like this at the end of the day. We have to deal with enough idiots in general, then we factor in alcohol and tobacco abuse. Weed will just be another problem, we both know the vast majority of people supporting something like this did not do it for honorable reasons like freedom or government regulation.
i see what you're saying but i just can't totally agree. just because it's not legal is not keeping addicts or people who enjoy smoking a lot of weed from doing it anyway. i mean if booze was banned tomorrow are alcoholics going to stop drinking because it's illegal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadedaniel84 View Post
True, but the federal cuts and layoffs would have the criminal justice system in an uproar... Militia type uproar.
the cartels and dealers would just up their production and trafficking of meth, coke, and heroin to fill the void from weed.
Old 11-07-2012, 01:44 AM   #36 (permalink)

Quote:
i see what you're saying but i just can't totally agree. just because it's not legal is not keeping addicts or people who enjoy smoking a lot of weed from doing it anyway. i mean if booze was banned tomorrow are alcoholics going to stop drinking because it's illegal?
Absolutely not, and that's probably why we are at an impasse. You see it as people do it enough to where legalizing it is the best way to control it. I see it as while people always will do it, it being illegal is enough of a deterrent to keep the problems in check. After all any issues relating to weed will automatically increase exponentially if anyone can do it whenever.

It has happened though, all we can do is sit back and see what happens. If it works it will spread to other states and if it doesn't, at least my state wasn't the testing ground

Although I'm willing to bet California is gonna try very soon, wouldn't shock me if we are state #2 to legalize it....
My Bucket, always selling and trading: http://s1204.photobucket.com/user/kramerattack/library/
friarbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 01:52 AM   #37 (permalink)

Quote:
Absolutely not, and that's probably why we are at an impasse. You see it as people do it enough to where legalizing it is the best way to control it. I see it as while people always will do it, it being illegal is enough of a deterrent to keep the problems in check. After all any issues relating to weed will automatically increase exponentially if anyone can do it whenever.

It has happened though, all we can do is sit back and see what happens. If it works it will spread to other states and if it doesn't, at least my state wasn't the testing ground

Although I'm willing to bet California is gonna try very soon, wouldn't shock me if we are state #2 to legalize it....
yeah man. i am absolutely shocked that colorado or any state for that matter did it before cali. i thought we would be the first state to legalize it. we'll see what happens from here. that is if the federal government doesn't crush it first and completely neutralize the will and wants of it's citizens on something that was legally voted on and won by a majority vote, which let's be real here they probably will.

Last edited by Burt-Reynolds; 11-07-2012 at 01:55 AM.
Old 11-07-2012, 01:56 AM   #38 (permalink)

Underneath it all, it's simply about wanting to turn a personal choice into a legal freedom. In my view, a lot of people support legalization of marijuana solely because the act is socially accepted in general, and they don't really consider the necessary restrictions and regulations that come with the process.

Just as with alcohol, there will be people who are responsible in its use, and there will be those who cause harm from the circumstances of its use.

I have never smoked the stuff, and have never had to desire or need to do so. If people want to do it themselves, that's fine, it's not my life. But I am very conscious of avoiding people who are smoking in public as I hate the smell, and obviously the risk of second-hand smoke.

Guess I'm saying, whether cigarettes or weed, people just need to have some consideration when doing things that could cause harm/discomfort/etc. to others in public - an attitude that too many people lack under the guise of personal choice.
jeg2315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 02:00 AM   #39 (permalink)

didn't know washington voted to leagalize it too, and it was voted on in oregon and shot down funny enough, i always thought oregon was full of hippies, lol. what's the deal cali? how are we so far behind the 8 ball on this? blasphemous!!!
Old 11-07-2012, 03:03 AM   #40 (permalink)

While medical and recreational use is a lot different from decriminalization, here is some interesting food for thought:

Ten Years After Decriminalization, Drug Abuse Down by Half in Portugal - Forbes

Drug Decriminalization in Portugal: Lessons for Creating Fair and Successful Drug Policies | Glenn Greenwald | Cato Institute: White Paper
Old 11-07-2012, 06:40 AM   #41 (permalink)

Looks like Peyton Manning knew what he was doing when he bought all those Papa Johns!
bigzig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 06:45 AM   #42 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigzig View Post
Looks like Peyton Manning knew what he was doing when he bought all those Papa Johns!

Bahahahhaa!
Old 11-07-2012, 08:44 AM   #43 (permalink)

Time to get some stock in heavily populated fast food areas.
Baseballcardsingles.com
Sean1125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:05 AM   #44 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanboyOfNone View Post
0 recorded ODs.

Good points. I've seen people in all walks of life having to hide their "habit." Many times you never know who smokes or who doesn't, but once someone finds out...uh oh!

In England, I stayed with a woman twice who smoked AND did "harder" drugs. She was fantastic at her well-paying job and very professional. You'd never know she tried any illicit drug in her life. I'm taking the Ron Paul stance of freedoms with personal accountability here.
0 OD's recorded? For what, criminal acts while high on pot? Its 0 for a reason. Because its impossible to prove after the fact. Its like the loophole that helps drunk drivers get out of a charge after they hit someone..

If you are drunk and driving, hit someone and call the cops, you request medical help because you are hurt. They ship you to the hospital. By the time the cop has a chance to get your BA level its too late. The doc knows but cant relinquish that info under doc/patient private privledge. Some drunks get off charges this way.

While many dont think pot is a gateway drug to harsher drugs, I beg to differ. But I do know that legalizing pot just makes it a "gateway" drug to coming up with excuses/reasons as to why we should legalize other drugs as well.

Why not legalize Meth and bath salts? Hell while we're at it, let legalize anything homemade.
Orangejello727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:20 AM   #45 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to avjp87

When I have a migraine or real bad headache, I toke up. It gets rid of the migraine in a matter of minutes. I know a lot of people who do that too, and it works. I'd much rather use marijuana then shove pain killers down my throat like I did before.

And it's fun
Old 11-07-2012, 10:35 AM   #46 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

After reading each response, I can honestly say I'm proud that we rural white males can have a civil conversation about a heavily debated topic. I've never touched weed, or any inhalant, in my life, and don't really see the benefits of doing it.

I just fear that regulating pot on a federal level will cause an influx of other - more traumatic drugs - to hit the streets. We'll probably also see a bunch more dreadlocks and hemp sandles
tajikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:36 AM   #47 (permalink)

Quote:
c'mon man weed kills? really? anyone stupid enough to drive impaired period deserves what they get. but weed is so much less toxic, addictive, and everything else compared to booze. i never woke up wanting to puke and dehydrated, feeling like i wanted to die the next day from smoking too much weed. i'll tell you that much. i don't even smoke weed anymore, but i'm all for it being legalized and wouldn't mind being able to smoke a little socially without having to worry about losing my job.
This statement is very true, and I agree 100%.....you will get what you deserve. The innocent child/father/mother that you also take with you in the process on the other hand.......
raiderguy10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:36 AM   #48 (permalink)

A lot of interesting posts in here... Legalizing weed is not going to all of a sudden increase users and cause the world to end. What people fail to realize is the tax revenue that it will generate through regulation. Estimates are close to 20 million in one year. Imagine that applied to the nation...
wmposs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:37 AM   #49 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by avjp87 View Post
When I have a migraine or real bad headache, I toke up. It gets rid of the migraine in a matter of minutes. I know a lot of people who do that too, and it works. I'd much rather use marijuana then shove pain killers down my throat like I did before.

And it's fun
I don't know, but I'd be interested to find out which are more addictive and detrimental to your health (comparing perscribed pain-killers to weed). I also wonder if having recreational Weed legal will tone down the medical narcotic and pain-killer resale market.

Lots of [???], [Missing] and #N/A at ROCK BOTTOM PRICES!
Chaddie84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:38 AM   #50 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmposs View Post
A lot of interesting posts in here... Legalizing weed is not going to all of a sudden increase users and cause the world to end. What people fail to realize is the tax revenue that it will generate through regulation. Estimates are close to 20 million in one year. Imagine that applied to the nation...
Sweet. More tax revenues = more political ads in 4 years.
raiderguy10 is offline   Reply With Quote