Blowout Cards Forums
Email Signup

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Off Topic

Off Topic This section may contain threads that are NSFW. This section is given a bit of leeway on some of the rules and so you may see some mild language and even some risqué images. Please no threads about race, religion, politics, or sexual orientation. Please no self promotion, sign up, or fundraising threads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2012, 10:47 AM   #51 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmposs View Post
A lot of interesting posts in here... Legalizing weed is not going to all of a sudden increase users and cause the world to end. What people fail to realize is the tax revenue that it will generate through regulation. Estimates are close to 20 million in one year. Imagine that applied to the nation...
20 million a year? Imagine that applied to our nation? Its pennies! The govt waste more money on catering food out for lunch time meetings than 20 million dollars! Its pennies!!

Election ads for the Obama campaign came in approx at $2 billion over the past 2 yrs on advertising. I hate to say it but even if that number is right (I dont thinks 20 million, probably more in the billions), its not worth the process for 20 million
Orangejello727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 11:24 AM   #52 (permalink)

I'm just speaking from personal experiences here so don't tare me up for my opion...I've saw a lot of my friends (including my self) get into a lot more trouble while drinking rather then smoking... On the other hand, high grade marijuana can cause chemical imbalances in the body(yes!I know alcohol isn't good for you either) and when people get into the $ aspect of marijuana then things can get violent. Weed isn't a problem for most but some take it past the recreational aspect of it. I wouldn't legalize it but I also wouldn't condone it
CoryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 11:35 AM   #53 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangejello727 View Post
20 million a year? Imagine that applied to our nation? Its pennies! The govt waste more money on catering food out for lunch time meetings than 20 million dollars! Its pennies!!

Election ads for the Obama campaign came in approx at $2 billion over the past 2 yrs on advertising. I hate to say it but even if that number is right (I dont thinks 20 million, probably more in the billions), its not worth the process for 20 million
That's 20 million for Colorado, not a highly populous state. I meant if federal laws changed and it was for all states. Would also cut down on prison funding to open up money for programs that need it.
wmposs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 11:53 AM   #54 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
That's 20 million for Colorado, not a highly populous state. I meant if federal laws changed and it was for all states. Would also cut down on prison funding to open up money for programs that need it.
The 20 million would be eaten up in due process and beaucracy. Before you know it there will be 20 million in revenues from taxation and 200 million for process, laws and guidelines overhead. That would be the main issue for me.

I really dont know how studies are done when they come up with this rhetoric on usage drops when pot is legalized. I dont know how the math works on users stop using because its legal now. Doesnt make sense. As for crime dropping, its pretty inconsistent. Especially when you take a small sample size and try and relate it to the big picture.

Im still on board to keep it ilegal. About the whole issue on booze and cigs being legal and they are bad for you, I agree, f'kem, ban them as well, makes no difference to me.
Old 11-07-2012, 12:02 PM   #55 (permalink)
Banned

I have a gut feeling people that need "help" such as food stamps, government assistance will all of a sudden have money for weed.

And no im not saying every single person on welfare, unemployment ect will smoke it and vice versa not everyone that is working will come home and smoke it to "relax" I just have a gut feeling that some people that claim they don't have money will all of a sudden have some money for this.
vc15jrich23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 12:20 PM   #56 (permalink)

Old 11-07-2012, 12:22 PM   #57 (permalink)
Temporarily Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by vc15jrich23 View Post
I have a gut feeling people that need "help" such as food stamps, government assistance will all of a sudden have money for weed.

And no im not saying every single person on welfare, unemployment ect will smoke it and vice versa not everyone that is working will come home and smoke it to "relax" I just have a gut feeling that some people that claim they don't have money will all of a sudden have some money for this.
The same people in the grocery store who split their order into two parts. They use stamps for lobster, crab claws and candy (yes, really...those items) and pay cash for beer. And then leave in a car worth twice as much as mine.
fullmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 12:31 PM   #58 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmetal View Post
The same people in the grocery store who split their order into two parts. They use stamps for lobster, crab claws and candy (yes, really...those items) and pay cash for beer. And then leave in a car worth twice as much as mine.
I use to work at a store and I would see people on food stamps get cash back from it and go buy ciggs and lotto tickets.
you can get $100.00 out of food stamps as cash back.
Old 11-07-2012, 12:39 PM   #59 (permalink)
Banned

We dont have foodstamps here, atleast I dont think we have a program as such. But ive seen suits in line at the local homeless shelter waiting for dinner before. I just nod my head.
Old 11-07-2012, 12:43 PM   #60 (permalink)

My best friend in high school who is currently six feet under ground (killed by a driver who was high) would like to have a word with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexcampos View Post
A country where a plant a lot less harmful than tobacco and alcohol is legal.

What a GREAT night it's been today!

Wish I lived in Colorado
Old 11-07-2012, 12:44 PM   #61 (permalink)

I need to move to Colorado...
Mike_333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 12:45 PM   #62 (permalink)

Stop and think for a moment.

Seriously...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burt-Reynolds View Post
c'mon man weed kills? really? anyone stupid enough to drive impaired period deserves what they get. but weed is so much less toxic, addictive, and everything else compared to booze. i never woke up wanting to puke and dehydrated, feeling like i wanted to die the next day from smoking too much weed. i'll tell you that much. i don't even smoke weed anymore, but i'm all for it being legalized and wouldn't mind being able to smoke a little socially without having to worry about losing my job.
Old 11-07-2012, 12:48 PM   #63 (permalink)

Quote:
The 20 million would be eaten up in due process and beaucracy. Before you know it there will be 20 million in revenues from taxation and 200 million for process, laws and guidelines overhead. That would be the main issue for me.

I really dont know how studies are done when they come up with this rhetoric on usage drops when pot is legalized. I dont know how the math works on users stop using because its legal now. Doesnt make sense. As for crime dropping, its pretty inconsistent. Especially when you take a small sample size and try and relate it to the big picture.

Im still on board to keep it ilegal. About the whole issue on booze and cigs being legal and they are bad for you, I agree, f'kem, ban them as well, makes no difference to me.
What?

I can tell from everything you have typed you don't know much about the issue, sorry cut that - nearly nothing... I hope you will read and educate before posting again.
Baseballcardsingles.com
Sean1125 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 12:56 PM   #64 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean1125 View Post
What?

I can tell from everything you have typed you don't know much about the issue, sorry cut that - nearly nothing... I hope you will read and educate before posting again.
Explain to me what I dont know?

Adverse effects of Marjuana?
Addiction and abuse issues related to drugs?
Long term use of any drugs and its effects?

If you're going to tell me I dont know anything, atleast tell me what it is that I dont understand?

How 20 million in revenue stated by another user is a justifiable amount of taxation revenue to make a difference in a state, let along a country?

What is it that I dont understand? and dont use "weed is good" and making it legal is "awedome dude" as justification as to why we need to legalize anything pertaining to drug use.

I dare you to find me one medical positive to long term pot use. Just 1 long term pot use positive.

Last edited by Orangejello727; 11-07-2012 at 12:59 PM.
Old 11-07-2012, 01:15 PM   #65 (permalink)

Medical positive? How about glaucoma pressure relief, chemotherapy sickness alleviation, chronic pain relief, migraine alleviation... Every single medical association has published reports stating its medical benefits. The US government holds the patent to medical marijuana and published their own. Report stating its benefits. Do some research
Old 11-07-2012, 01:24 PM   #66 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Medical positive? How about glaucoma pressure relief, chemotherapy sickness alleviation, chronic pain relief, migraine alleviation... Every single medical association has published reports stating its medical benefits. The US government holds the patent to medical marijuana and published their own. Report stating its benefits. Do some research
All short term issues. None of them associate long term use of pot to solve these problems. Over time pot wont help these pain issues. The body adjust and becomes immune to pot. So again, what long term positive use is there?

Amoxicillan is an antibiotic used to final bacteria in common colds, respitory issues. Its long term use is non existent. Why? Because the body develops immunity to it. Same thing happens to Pot and we adjust to its benefits. Today it helps with pain. Tomorrow it no longer works for the same pain. So what next? We move to Meth? Cocaine? Legalize them because in the short term use, they help people forget their sorrows? Because the booger sugar helps numb my pain. Is that the answer? To keep opening a gateway to ensure viability to legalzing drugs for the excuse that they help you in the short term?

You have stated a few short term benefits. How about stating some short term and long term problems it could cause? Like..

Increased user base
Gateway to other drugs
Social issues with abuse
Concern for youger users to become users with ease of access?
whateve medical side effects that occur with use? (ie short memory loss)

What about all the social problems you create all because you felt that the short term pain relief was worth the effort? Ever think of the long term issues you create for your short term "Fix"??

Its like the old saying, "Shoot first and kill. Answer questions afterwards" Yea...as if that led to solving problems.
Old 11-07-2012, 01:26 PM   #67 (permalink)

Quote:
Today it helps with pain. Tomorrow it no longer works for the same pain. So what next? We move to Meth? Cocaine?
I take it then that you have personally smoked marijuana yourself? You speak as tho you are the know-it-all on the subject after all.
ManInTheMirror is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 01:27 PM   #68 (permalink)

At least 2 of the 3 states were smart enough to pass it. It will save money while generating tax revenue on the taxation of the herb.
pmannings#1fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 01:30 PM   #69 (permalink)

I'm sorry to the people who have had a bad (horrible?) personal anecdote on the effect of weed in their lives, but unfortunately the greater data is not on your side.

This is a positive step, to a country that is clearly making small steps at moving forward.
Old 11-07-2012, 01:32 PM   #70 (permalink)

How are they short term benefits? There is no long term cure for a lot of these issues, and the ones I listed barely touch the surface of its benefits. Immunity does not happen to marijuana, yes you can build a tolerance but most don't all of a sudden seek out more and more and more. Your long term problems could be tied to anything in America: video games, fast and processed food, obesity, alcohol, cigarettes, prescription drugs.

Speaking personally, I am a working professional and know many people that function just fine in their everyday life while smoking "pot". It has helped with my anxiety and helped me to become MORE active and outgoing and I have tried other methods including medication and counseling.

Regarding concern for younger users to receive easier access look at the studies that have been performed over and over and over. It is easier for younger kids to get marijuana than it is alcohol, do you really think that would stay the same if we took it off the streets and put an age and maturity limit?

I can appreciate your concerns and thoughts but to me this argument is the same as fighting for gay rights, or the right to vote or drink. This country is progressing even with backward laws that the federal government currently has in place. This argument is not going to die down, if anything it will further increase now that states are moving in the right direction.
Old 11-07-2012, 01:40 PM   #71 (permalink)

Quote:
Regarding concern for younger users to receive easier access look at the studies that have been performed over and over and over. It is easier for younger kids to get marijuana than it is alcohol, do you really think that would stay the same if we took it off the streets and put an age and maturity limit?
I don't know about other parts of the country, but when I was in high school this was the case. I could buy weed from any number of kids in school, at gigs, at parties...hell even at the bus stop, but we could not get cigarettes or alcohol unless an "older brother" got it for us.
Old 11-07-2012, 01:44 PM   #72 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManInTheMirror View Post
I take it then that you have personally smoked marijuana yourself? You speak as tho you are the know-it-all on the subject after all.
Kind of like most the people for legalizing it thinking that they know everything?

All people need to do is have an open mind about stuff and look at the whole picture just because John doe in NY doesn't make dumb decisions while smoking weed doesn't mean Jane Doe will make the same exact decisions. Just like Alcohol everyone reacts different and a majority of people that want to legalize it have a bigot mind that just because they have not seen a crime comitted while someone uses it does not mean it hasn't happened.

I have seen a guy 6'7 over 300 LBs. mug an 80 year old woman for the $10.00 she had just so he could go buy some weed.

I have seen a lady run a red light because she smoked weed before she left the house and could not make quick decisions and hit another car which broke another person's leg.

Why is it the people for it will not look at the whole picture and just say "there could be good with getting extra money from taxes but there could also be bad with stories like posted above"

As far as medical goes I have had a few family members with cancer over the years and never once was "medical marijuana" used. All the effects as listed above that "helps" it were fixed with steroid shots and pills. So why will the people that want it legalized for medical use not try any other option too or at least look at other options? It just seems to be "I want weed and thats it".
Old 11-07-2012, 01:46 PM   #73 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Win4Vin View Post
Seems odd at first, but this is quite telling.

America has, it would seem, the highest drinking age in the Western World. Kids still drink in high school, then when they leave for college? They don't know how to handle themselves. They see all this newfound freedom and party like it's going out of style. A Harvard study suggested that around 80% of college students drink, while about 20% are binge drinkers. Young adults in the US handle alcohol far worse than their European counterparts. Many have a glass of wine with their parents at age 16 and think, "Oh neat. Don't need to do this all the time, but it can be enjoyable."

It's all about the taboo of drinking. Take that away and it suddenly becomes less interesting. Same with marijuana. Remove the societal taboo and remove the curiousty.
FanboyOfNone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 01:49 PM   #74 (permalink)

shapeshifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 01:50 PM   #75 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

Why are the medical benefits of pot being discussed in a thread discussing a law that allows for recreational use?

There's no discounting the fact that marijuana alleviates, doesn't cure, the pain caused by some chronic conditions. However, Colorado votes have said yes to legalizing pot, assuming in moderation, for recreational use. This opens up distribution channels much wider than if it were only limited to medical use.

I don't think this country is mature enough to handle the distribution of a "legal" narcotic.
tajikey is offline   Reply With Quote