Blowout Cards Forums
Blaster Master

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Off Topic

Off Topic This section may contain threads that are NSFW. This section is given a bit of leeway on some of the rules and so you may see some mild language and even some risqué images. Please no threads about race, religion, politics, or sexual orientation. Please no self promotion, sign up, or fundraising threads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2012, 04:09 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Mechanic question

Car in question: 2008 Kia Spectra

Issue: Battery

I seem to be having issues with my battery.

It started about a month or 2 ago, where it would take some extra time to start (talking mere seconds, no minutes..just not instant).

It has been doing this, but as recently as 3 weeks ago, it wouldnt turn over at all.

The battery still has juice left, as my lights still come on and radio etc..just not enough to crank over.

Weird thing is, it cranks right up when hooked up to be jumped off, or to battery charger set to start. Im talking Instant..as soon as cables are hooked up to opposite car, turn key in and instantly start.

It also seems to be fine after running for awhile (driving for 10-20 minutes to wherever..do whatever im doing..and start back up after).

My dad checked it out, thinking the battery posts just needed to be cleaned. While cleaning the posts, he noticed my (-) post seemed to be extremely loose, and its possible not getting a good ground connection due to that..and tried to tighten it up as best as possible.

Next couple of days it went back to same thing..this whole past week has been running perfectly fine though.

Go to start today, and back to square 1.

Currently have it hooked up to battery charger and seems to have charged a bit.

Another friend of mine said that it could possibly be just 1 dead cell in the battery.

Any ideas?
cdub6238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 04:55 PM   #2 (permalink)

Hmmm 4 or 5 year old battery. Just take it in and get it tested.
Nicnac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 05:00 PM   #3 (permalink)

Go to a battery shop and have them run a free test.

You might have a bad cell, a short or need to replace wires. Rodents love to chew wires. I've got to replace mine, squirrels chewed the insulation and it shorts easily.
Old 11-08-2012, 05:05 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

are the connection corroded? Sometimes that chalky build up can cause such issues as well
Orangejello727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 05:08 PM   #5 (permalink)

My Brother's Buick started not turning over like it always does. A little extra crank or two before it started up. It was the alternator going bad and if he had not gone in to check it nearly killed a brand new battery he bought as that was his first guess.

Kevin
Old 11-08-2012, 05:09 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevJo View Post
My Brother's Buick started not turning over like it always does. A little extra crank or two before it started up. It was the alternator going bad and if he had not gone in to check it nearly killed a brand new battery he bought as that was his first guess.

Kevin
I replaced my alternator a few months ago. My entire electrical system would go out while I was driving. You will notice your power steering going out, your headlights, your radio. Luckily the alternator is easy to replace. My biggest obstacle was removing the nuts that hadn't been messed with since the car was built 12 years ago.