Blowout Cards Forums
Advertise On Forum

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Off Topic

Off Topic This section may contain threads that are NSFW. This section is given a bit of leeway on some of the rules and so you may see some mild language and even some risqué images. Please no threads about race, religion, politics, or sexual orientation. Please no self promotion, sign up, or fundraising threads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2012, 04:50 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Shipping up to Boston

I'm headed to Boston this weekend for the Pats v Bills. Any locals have advice on food, drink, etc?

Edit: This will be my first time in Boston and I'll be in town through Monday.
PAYING VERY HANDSOMELY FOR THE "O" IN THE 2009 DREW BLEDSOE BY THE LETTER SET. WILL PAY $25 FINDERS FEE IF YOU DIRECT ME TO ONE AND I AM ABLE TO MAKE A DEAL (eBay and COMC listings NOT APPLICABLE/REDEEMABLE)
ssbledsoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 04:54 PM   #2 (permalink)

Where are you staying - which neighborhood/area of Boston?
Old 11-08-2012, 04:55 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueNE_09 View Post
Where are you staying - which neighborhood/area of Boston?
The Westin on the waterfront.
PAYING VERY HANDSOMELY FOR THE "O" IN THE 2009 DREW BLEDSOE BY THE LETTER SET. WILL PAY $25 FINDERS FEE IF YOU DIRECT ME TO ONE AND I AM ABLE TO MAKE A DEAL (eBay and COMC listings NOT APPLICABLE/REDEEMABLE)
Old 11-08-2012, 04:59 PM   #4 (permalink)

Nice. So you're over in the Seaport District.

What are you generally looking for - style, price points, etc. I mean, are we talking Dicks in Faneuil Hall where they write on your paper hat that you have a tiny penis or Bristol Lounge in Park Plaza.

Good thing here - lots to recommend/chose from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssbledsoe View Post
The Westin on the waterfront.
Old 11-08-2012, 05:38 PM   #5 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

Go into the North End of Boston. Throw a rock down hanover street. Pist the closest eatery to where the rock lands and you will have the best Italian food you have ever eaten.

Or go there for a yummy and go to Mike's Pastery.

Boston is a great walking city. Walk the Freedom Trail if you are into history.

High End shopping on Newbury Street.

It's a great city. Ask any questions you would like.

Let us know what kind of time constraints you have.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/jon-s-box-breaks-and-more
jlzinck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 05:46 PM   #6 (permalink)

North End - fun atmosphere, tons of great food, very traditional and very lively Italian neighborhood
South End - young, trendy, tons of contemporary American & French restaurants, a bit higher end, also a good dose of shopping, very cool
Beacon Hill/Charles Street - classic New England charm, great restaurants
Faneuil Hall - the "cradle of liberty", Quincy Market (long corridor of take-out restaurants) surrounded by shopping and other sit-in restaurants
Seaport District (where you are staying) - an up & coming and eclectic area, some galleries, has the "ICA" (institute of contemporary arts - pretty sweet place), also some great restaurants down by where you're staying
Back Bay - the aforementioned Newbury Street...Boston's headquarters for high-end shopping, tons of restaurants, people watching, Beacon Street and Commonwealth Ave, both great for walking

Pick any of these areas/neighborhoods and I can name you 5 restaurants/places that are must visits for Boston. Just let me know what you're thinking/want to focus on.
Old 11-08-2012, 06:03 PM   #7 (permalink)

Seafood, Seafood & Seafood!!!! Have fun
pmannings#1fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 06:10 PM   #8 (permalink)

I was just there and went to Quincy Market. It was pretty cool. Alot of stores and food places
KEARYCOLBERT83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 08:20 AM   #9 (permalink)

First Pats game?

Leave an hour earlier than you intended too...traffic is insane on game days...
BostonNut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 09:28 AM   #10 (permalink)

Just a couple of rstaurants that you may want to check out in the northend, Tresca (Ray Bourque is an owner/ need Reservations on weekend), Joe Tecce's, Pauli's , desert Modern Pastry Shop (best cannolis in northend!)

Check out Fenway and the surrounding area, even though it's offseason still great to visit, Old North Church and the Freedom Trail/ Faneuil Hall, and you have to walk the Commons!
TASS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 09:57 AM   #11 (permalink)

I highly suggest Strega on the waterfront!!

The owner is a character straight from any Joe Pecci gangster movie and a very funny guy!

Old 11-09-2012, 10:08 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlzinck View Post
The only exception to that would be a Yankees fan asking for directions to Fenway Park. I can guarantee you they will be led the wrong way.
Old 11-09-2012, 10:13 AM   #13 (permalink)

Thanks for the info guys. We get in town around 12 Saturday. I'm assuming Sunday will be monopolized by the game. I fly out Monday evening so there isn't as much time as I would like. I'm going with a buddy, so when it comes to food I'm looking for casual/informal options where we can walk in wearing a hoodie and jeans. I'm a history nerd, so maybe Monday for some Freedom Trail. What's the opinion of the Harpoon brewery tour? Friends of mine recommended Harpoon over Sam Adams?
Old 11-09-2012, 10:14 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonNut View Post
First Pats game?

Leave an hour earlier than you intended too...traffic is insane on game days...
We're doing public transport. It'll be the train for us. I was thinking we'd leave out around 11 for the 1PM kick. Aggressive enough or should earlier be necessary?
Old 11-09-2012, 10:15 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
I highly suggest Strega on the waterfront!!

The owner is a character straight from any Joe Pecci gangster movie and a very funny guy!
Nick is always a part of the Strega experience, but I would not even try to have dinner on the weekend without a reservation as the wait will be a minimum 2 1/2 -3 hours especially when there is a Pats or Celtics game that weekend.

You will always see a player or two when the Pats (Fri. night and Sun. post game), Bruins (not sure who's around!) or Celtics are in town! That usually includes the opposing teams players also.
Old 11-09-2012, 10:22 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Thanks for the info guys. We get in town around 12 Saturday. I'm assuming Sunday will be monopolized by the game. I fly out Monday evening so there isn't as much time as I would like. I'm going with a buddy, so when it comes to food I'm looking for casual/informal options where we can walk in wearing a hoodie and jeans. I'm a history nerd, so maybe Monday for some Freedom Trail. What's the opinion of the Harpoon brewery tour? Friends of mine recommended Harpoon over Sam Adams?
Harpoon will be more convenient for you based on where you are staying, they have Tasting parties at 2:00 & 4:00 which are very, ehh informative and the beer flows like wine!!!
Old 11-09-2012, 10:24 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
We're doing public transport. It'll be the train for us. I was thinking we'd leave out around 11 for the 1PM kick. Aggressive enough or should earlier be necessary?
Plan on 10:00 as the trains out of the city from 11:00 on will be packed. you don't want to be rushing and should check out the parking lot scene on the way in, plenty of friendly folks who may just feed ya!
Old 11-09-2012, 10:36 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TASS View Post
Plan on 10:00 as the trains out of the city from 11:00 on will be packed. you don't want to be rushing and should check out the parking lot scene on the way in, plenty of friendly folks who may just feed ya!
Will I need to whack a guy? Off a guy? Whack off a guy? 'Cause I'm married and I can't?!

Quote:
Harpoon will be more convenient for you based on where you are staying, they have Tasting parties at 2:00 & 4:00 which are very, ehh informative and the beer flows like wine!!!
Nice. This will be added to the itinerary.

Quote:
Nick is always a part of the Strega experience, but I would not even try to have dinner on the weekend without a reservation as the wait will be a minimum 2 1/2 -3 hours especially when there is a Pats or Celtics game that weekend.

You will always see a player or two when the Pats (Fri. night and Sun. post game), Bruins (not sure who's around!) or Celtics are in town! That usually includes the opposing teams players also.
I'm looking for more informal places without reservations. I like idea of possibly sitting next to Gronk as he eats 8lbs of lobster while Nicky Santoro keeps everyone in line, but I want to make it an overall guys trip where we drink beer and have some laughs.
Old 11-09-2012, 10:49 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Will I need to whack a guy? Off a guy? Whack off a guy? 'Cause I'm married and I can't?!

Nice. This will be added to the itinerary.

I'm looking for more informal places without reservations. I like idea of possibly sitting next to Gronk as he eats 8lbs of lobster while Nicky Santoro keeps everyone in line, but I want to make it an overall guys trip where we drink beer and have some laughs.
Don't really think you will have to Whack anybody LOL, and the Brewery is a 5-10minute stumble from your hotel! As far as casual dining I would strongly suggest the 'No Name' restaurant on Fish Pier, you will not get more of an insane serving of seafood than this place!
Very casual (Belichick hoody accepted) back in the day it used to be a BYOB where you could walk in with a case of beer! They now have a beer menu.

Enjoy the city, it's the best city IMO!!
Old 11-09-2012, 10:56 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Don't really think you will have to Whack anybody LOL, and the Brewery is a 5-10minute stumble from your hotel! As far as casual dining I would strongly suggest the 'No Name' restaurant on Fish Pier, you will not get more of an insane serving of seafood than this place!
Very casual (Belichick hoody accepted) back in the day it used to be a BYOB where you could walk in with a case of beer! They now have a beer menu.

Enjoy the city, it's the best city IMO!!
Seconded!

Also as has been said there are SO many different options in Quincy Market.

Store Directory :: Faneuil Hall Marketplace :: Boston, MA

Always have street perfomers.

Old 11-09-2012, 11:40 AM   #21 (permalink)

I like the Financial District, that's where I normally stay. Within walking distance of everything. Howl @ The Moon, The Place, Black Rose, etc just a few great bars to have a good time at.
bjtheman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 12:11 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Go into the North End of Boston. Throw a rock down hanover street. Pist the closest eatery to where the rock lands and you will have the best Italian food you have ever eaten.

Or go there for a yummy and go to Mike's Pastery.

Boston is a great walking city. Walk the Freedom Trail if you are into history.

High End shopping on Newbury Street.

Let us know what kind of time constraints you have.

Here is reality for ya. I live in the North End, and have been here for over 5 years. Hanover Street is a tourist trap, full of overpriced Italian restaurants with the same exact boring menus. Go to Salem Street as they have more underrated restaurants, it's the next street over from Hanover and it runs parallel. Look up behind the giant billboard and say hi to me cause that's where I live! Oh, and Mike's Pastry will always have a line that is 10 miles long. Try Modern instead.

Matt

Last edited by obzezzed; 11-09-2012 at 09:30 PM.
obzezzed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 01:08 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by obzezzed View Post
Here is reality for ya. I live in the North End, and have been here for over 5 years. Hanover Street is a tourist trap, full of overpriced Italian restaurants with the same exact boring menus. Go to Salem Street as they have more underrated retaurants, it's the next street over from Hanover and it runs parallel. Look up behind the giant billboard and say hi to me cause that's where I live! Oh, and Mike's Pastry will always have a line that is 10 miles long. Try Modern instead.

Matt
[QUOTE=TASS;3612610]Just a couple of rstaurants that you may want to check out in the northend, Tresca (Ray Bourque is an owner/ need Reservations on weekend), Joe Tecce's, Al Dente & Pauli's , desert Modern Pastry Shop (best cannolis in northend!)

Matt saw your post and havin spent a fair time in the northend myself, I have to agree with some of your comments, also had mentioned Modern Pastry in a previous post and fully agree!

I'm Italian and am pretty picky when ordering and eating Italian Food from a restaurant.

Last edited by TASS; 11-09-2012 at 04:01 PM.
Old 11-09-2012, 04:55 PM   #24 (permalink)
Banned

Boston Beer Works on Canal St. is a must.
bjge_42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 09:34 PM   #25 (permalink)

[QUOTE=TASS;3613419]
Quote:
Just a couple of rstaurants that you may want to check out in the northend, Tresca (Ray Bourque is an owner/ need Reservations on weekend), Joe Tecce's, Al Dente & Pauli's , desert Modern Pastry Shop (best cannolis in northend!)
Quote:

Matt saw your post and havin spent a fair time in the northend myself, I have to agree with some of your comments, also had mentioned Modern Pastry in a previous post and fully agree!

I'm Italian and am pretty picky when ordering and eating Italian Food from a restaurant.
Hey man, nice to meet you!
obzezzed is offline   Reply With Quote