Blowout Cards Forums
Super Break

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Off Topic

Off Topic This section may contain threads that are NSFW. This section is given a bit of leeway on some of the rules and so you may see some mild language and even some risqué images. Please no threads about race, religion, politics, or sexual orientation. Please no self promotion, sign up, or fundraising threads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2012, 10:01 PM   #1 (permalink)

I'm not sure if this is going on everywhere but by me the stores are opening at 8 pm Thanksgiving night. I've gone out before at midnight to Toys R Us and I'll never do it again. When my wife and I got to the store at 11:30 the line was unbelievable and we finally got out at 4:30 am so now we order online. Good luck if you decide to go ahead with it but I am sure it will be a madhouse especially if stores have specials between let's say midnight and 6 AM.
Jbjints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 10:35 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoJays View Post
Are the in-store deals much better than the deals online? Gas will put me out around $75, and if that's all I'll be saving in-store I may just stay home and shop online.
If you go, you need to have a plan of attack. Here is my mom and I's full proof plan:

1. scope out all the adds prior
2. make a list of exactly what you want, what store it is in, etc. If it is an early bird special. Most early bird specials are closer to the front of the store.
3. If need be, have one person wait in line while the other grabs the needed items.
4. have all coupons organized by store that way you can grab and go
5. utilize coupons wisely. For example, I have a $10 towards any purchase + 15% off for Kohls. I will be buying my youngest some stocking stuffers at no cost. Also, some stores allow you to stack coupons (manufacture + store coupon)
6. If there is a rebate, save all receipts, boxes, bar codes, etc. Get them set in asap.
7. Have fun!

Edit: I read your mind!
Old 11-17-2012, 10:49 PM   #3 (permalink)

Default What is Black Friday Like?

Hey guys,

Just wondering what Black Friday is like shopping-wise. The wife and I are considering going down to Syracuse for Black Friday, but neither of us have been down before. Just wondering if it's worth going, or if you have any other advice. I'd rather not go down only to come back with nothing, which is what in scared will happen.

Thanks guys!
Old 11-17-2012, 10:55 PM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to avjp87

depends on the stores you're going to. a lot of stores stay open the whole night before, that wasn't the case before.

but in general, it's nuts. running of the bulls but no bulls but still dangerous cause people are morons.
Old 11-17-2012, 11:14 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbjints View Post
I'm not sure if this is going on everywhere but by me the stores are opening at 8 pm Thanksgiving night. I've gone out before at midnight to Toys R Us and I'll never do it again. When my wife and I got to the store at 11:30 the line was unbelievable and we finally got out at 4:30 am so now we order online. Good luck if you decide to go ahead with it but I am sure it will be a madhouse especially if stores have specials between let's say midnight and 6 AM.
Are the in-store deals much better than the deals online? Gas will put me out around $75, and if that's all I'll be saving in-store I may just stay home and shop online.
Old 11-17-2012, 11:37 PM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

It is crazy, unless you want to wait in long lines and go crazy in the store don't go. I will go out in the afternoon and I hope to get spec ops the line on PS3 for $15.00 and I will go through the blu ray/dvd sets, I also may pick up a printer.

I did do it one year a few years back and got my laptop and gps, altogether I saved about $500.00 or so, I am not sure if I would do it again although for an extra $500.00 in savings it was kind of worth it.
vc15jrich23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 11:45 PM   #7 (permalink)

I've shopped that Friday afternoon before and even then (after the best sales were over) it was still a zoo.

In this economy (this is NOT political) this is probably the worst time to shop on Black Friday as everyone is trying to save especially when it comes to the holidays.

There is Cyber Monday but the deals are usually nowhere near as good, and the ones that are sell out too fast because it's open to an entire online "audience".

Last edited by Zacky1053; 11-17-2012 at 11:54 PM.
Zacky1053 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 11:53 PM   #8 (permalink)

I go every year and love it! (yes, call my crazy). I agree that you need to check the ads and make a "plan of attack." A lot of places will have maps of where the doorbusters are located, so do your homework before and only go to aisles/areas that you need stuff. Also, if you are getting big stuff, get a cart when you go in otherwise you will not find one and will be stuck lugging your stuff. Although splitting up is sometimes needed to get stuff you want, it can be very crowded and being re-united can be difficult. Yes, you have a cell phone, but there are sooo many people it is hard to hear and find anyone. You will need to wait in line every where (to get in, at certain areas to get merchandise, and to checkout). Check the local ad to see what time the store opens and show up at least an hour before (I would recommend earlier if you really want some limited quantity items). If you want any of the real big deals where there is 5 or under, don't plan on eating dinner. You will need to be in line about 6+ hours prior. (The stores here in MA can't open until 1pm and people will be in line when it is still light out (with tents as if they are spending the night). The lines to checkout will wrap around the store, so the more time you spend roaming the longer they get. You can get in and out pretty quick (AKA under an hour) if you get what you want and get in line the checkout asap. Is it worth it? It depends on what you want and plan on buying. If you need to get a bunch of electronics (tv, computer, iphone, etc), it may be worth it. I like to go purely for the entertainment factor. Don't be discouraged if you get to the store and the line to get in is wrapped around the building. Have fun and stay safe!

Check out my eBay store for great items!
tdbaseballcards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 11:55 PM   #9 (permalink)

How do they prevent a "running of the bulls" type scene for the best sale items? Do they raffle off tickets ahead of time or something? I thought I heard something in the past about tickets but didn't know what they were for.
Old 11-17-2012, 11:59 PM   #10 (permalink)

Some of the doorbusters they will give tickets out for prior to them opening and you have to go wait in line to get them (at least at my best buy and target). This is mostly for the TV's. Otherwise, it is a running of the bulls and lots of pushing and shoving. Don't leave your cart unattended or people will take items from it...

Check out my eBay store for great items!
tdbaseballcards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 01:15 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
If its going to cost you 75 bucks in gas I would save the 75 and shop online. I've done it twice and the last time I went shopping at midnight was because I was awake and not tired but I won't ever do it again.
Jbjints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 02:10 AM   #12 (permalink)

Lines. Lots of lines...
AKHMERICA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 02:16 AM   #13 (permalink)
GA0

I go in the afternoons. The crazy riff raff crowds are relatively lower, and all the deals ( the ones I want anyways) are still available.
John Wall sucks, send me all his autos for $5 a piece
GA0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 02:38 AM   #14 (permalink)

Have you ever electrocuted while masturbating? That's what it's like.
ilovethelakings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 02:57 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovethelakings View Post
Have you ever electrocuted while masturbating? That's what it's like.
You know I have!

I really should've learned after the 8th time to stop, but...
Old 11-20-2012, 03:06 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Hey guys,

Just wondering what Black Friday is like shopping-wise. The wife and I are considering going down to Syracuse for Black Friday, but neither of us have been down before. Just wondering if it's worth going, or if you have any other advice. I'd rather not go down only to come back with nothing, which is what in scared will happen.

Thanks guys!
Are you going to Destiny USA?
Old 11-20-2012, 03:24 PM   #17 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to asujbl

My sleep is worth way more, and I mean way more, then any sort of half assed deals I'd get that I'll still be able to get 2 weeks before XMAS anyway.
asujbl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 03:30 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by asujbl View Post
My sleep is worth way more, and I mean way more, then any sort of half assed deals I'd get that I'll still be able to get 2 weeks before XMAS anyway.
+2353

I can't believe people fall for black friday every single year.
Old 11-20-2012, 11:57 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAndrew View Post
Are you going to Destiny USA?
I guess I would be going there, yeah. Not used to hearing it called that, I've always referred to it as the Carousel Center.

That's where I was planning on shopping, though.
Old 11-20-2012, 11:59 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MI Rob View Post
+2353

I can't believe people fall for black friday every single year.
For me, it is really an excuse to spend the day with my mom. Not that I need one but my husband doesn't complain if he thinks it is for productive reasons.
Old 11-21-2012, 12:03 AM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
I guess I would be going there, yeah. Not used to hearing it called that, I've always referred to it as the Carousel Center.

That's where I was planning on shopping, though.
Me neither...the Destiny USA project started right after I graduated/moved downstate. I went there over the summer though...the new wing is pretty nice, although there's still a lot of empty space that needs to be filled.

I've never been to Carousel/Destiny on Black Friday though -- I'm sure that'll be an experience, to say the least
Old 11-21-2012, 12:14 AM   #22 (permalink)

I just go hit up the snack counter at target and popcorn and soda and chillax.
danimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 12:25 AM   #23 (permalink)

What about black friday on bo is it all that?
imbaked247 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 12:56 AM   #24 (permalink)
Banned

I hate going out on black friday. We have a Wal Mart up the mountain pass about 20 minutes that nobody ever goes to. We go there in the afternoon and they still have everything that sels out in minutes at the Wal Marts in town
BroncosFAN#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 11:41 AM   #25 (permalink)

Good advice already. I pick 2-3 stores which I feel I can't get the stuff online, or the deals are better in-store. When I do go out on Black Friday, I go in a small group. We compare everyone's lists and group them by department - IE: one person goes to movies/games, one goes to appliances, one goes to kids toys etc. If we spot something we THINK someone else in our group needs, we snag it. Plan a location to meet up prior to checkout and have 1 person checkout together...this plan works out pretty well most of the time, but it can get tricky if you are shopping FOR someone you are shipping WITH.