Blowout Cards Forums

Blowout Cards Forums (http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/)
-   Off Topic (http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/off-topic/)
-   -   Gonna be a weird Thanksgiving for me this year (http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/off-topic/400866-gonna-weird-thanksgiving-me-year.html)

zonacats8 11-19-2012 02:15 AM

Gonna be a weird Thanksgiving for me this year

So we don't have a big family, just me, my parents, sister, one grandparent, and then 3 aunts, 1 uncle, and 4 cousins who live out of state, so we've never really had big family dinners. But I've always had thanksgiving with my parents and sister, and my grandmother the last few years since we moved her into an assisted living home here in Michigan.

Even when I was in college I'd be home for Thanksgiving, and when I graduated and moved back to Michigan, my sister would come back into town from school for Thanksgiving.

Well my sister has graduated and moved to NYC to work on broadway and for the next few weeks she is doing some small show in Pennsylvania for some reason so she wasn't able to come back into town for Thanksgiving. So my parents are going out there to see the show and have Thanksgiving with her, something I had no interest in doing as they're driving out there Wednesday morning and staying through Sunday.

So now I have nowhere to go for Thanksgiving, so looks like no Turkey for me this year (not making a whole one for myself, haha). So I guess I'll be firing up the grill, cooking up a nice big steak and "enjoying?" my Thanksgiving by myself this year.

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

That's gonna be a weird one

TrueNE_09 11-19-2012 08:34 AM

That's a bummer. So, no interest in going wherever your sister/parents will be? Is it because it is out of the way/inconvenient? One idea would be to go out there and surprise them, so you have the nucleus of four together. That'd be cool, and they'd probably appreciate it.

Otherwise, looks like it is just you, a slab of beef and a bunch of football. And of course all the Blowout people on here talking about their turkey & pie guts all day long...

jbellis74 11-19-2012 08:38 AM

[QUOTE=zonacats8;3666136]So we don't have a big family, just me, my parents, sister, one grandparent, and then 3 aunts, 1 uncle, and 4 cousins who live out of state, so we've never really had big family dinners. But I've always had thanksgiving with my parents and sister, and my grandmother the last few years since we moved her into an assisted living home here in Michigan.

Even when I was in college I'd be home for Thanksgiving, and when I graduated and moved back to Michigan, my sister would come back into town from school for Thanksgiving.

Well my sister has graduated and moved to NYC to work on broadway and for the next few weeks she is doing some small show in Pennsylvania for some reason so she wasn't able to come back into town for Thanksgiving. So my parents are going out there to see the show and have Thanksgiving with her, something I had no interest in doing as they're driving out there Wednesday morning and staying through Sunday.

So now I have nowhere to go for Thanksgiving, so looks like no Turkey for me this year (not making a whole one for myself, haha). So I guess I'll be firing up the grill, cooking up a nice big steak and "enjoying?" my Thanksgiving by myself this year.

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

That's gonna be a weird one[/QUOTE]

I would go with the parental units. Don't want to give you a sob story but my Dad is not here anymore so I would take every special moment and be with him for all of them. A surprise sounds like a good idea plus I would want to support my sister in her career choice even if its some small show in PA.

If you don't have to spend a fortune on flying I think I would just jump in the back seat of the parents car and go

benshobbies 11-19-2012 09:34 AM

Hope you have fun watching football & soaking up the Black Friday specials on Blowout! It'll be a different Thanksgiving for me as well. 3/4 of my brothers & sisters showed interest in coming to My parent's house this Thanksgiving. Its going to be a packed house.

MC80_LCM 11-19-2012 10:40 AM

Tag along to a friends house. My parents and brother moved down to North Carolina a couple years back and that is what I've done ever since. I went to three different houses last year. Had dinner at 2 and then arrived at the 3rd just as they were bringing out all the pies. If you find one with really good food, you stay there the longest. Its worked out great, I never have to stay anywhere too long and can just jump from house to house.

I was talking to my Brother yesterday and he has one of the weirdest Thanksgivings planned. He's spending it with his wife's family and I guess they don't get a long. Because of that, none of the family want to host. He said they end up going to a hotel that is 10 minutes away from all their houses and then they go out to eat.

Oilngo 11-19-2012 11:45 AM

I haven't had Thanksgiving with my family in like five years, if I had the chance I would be with them. I just went to my GF's or my best friend. It was fun, actually have family here this year so were good.

nephinfan 11-19-2012 11:49 AM

I had one year where I couldn't get home for Thanksgiving and had to be alone. So, instead of sitting around, I decided to volunteer at a soup kitchen who was preparing/serving meals to those less fortunate. I actually had a lot of fun, and went back to do it again the following year. Some of those individuals had such a great personality and were all-around happy people, even with some of the hardships they've been through. That was one of the best Thanksgiving holidays I ever had.

TrueNE_09 11-19-2012 11:51 AM

This. I couldn't agree more. Definitely something to consider, and a very wholesome way to spend the holiday, if not with family. Agree 100%.

[QUOTE=nephinfan;3666884]I had one year where I couldn't get home for Thanksgiving and had to be alone. So, instead of sitting around, I decided to volunteer at a soup kitchen who was preparing/serving meals to those less fortunate. I actually had a lot of fun, and went back to do it again the following year. Some of those individuals had such a great personality and were all-around happy people, even with some of the hardships they've been through. That was one of the best Thanksgiving holidays I ever had.[/QUOTE]

zonacats8 11-19-2012 05:35 PM

[QUOTE=TrueNE_09;3666371]That's a bummer. So, no interest in going wherever your sister/parents will be? Is it because it is out of the way/inconvenient? One idea would be to go out there and surprise them, so you have the nucleus of four together. That'd be cool, and they'd probably appreciate it.

Otherwise, looks like it is just you, a slab of beef and a bunch of football. And of course all the Blowout people on here talking about their turkey & pie guts all day long...[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=jbellis74;3666374]I would go with the parental units. Don't want to give you a sob story but my Dad is not here anymore so I would take every special moment and be with him for all of them. A surprise sounds like a good idea plus I would want to support my sister in her career choice even if its some small show in PA.

If you don't have to spend a fortune on flying I think I would just jump in the back seat of the parents car and go[/QUOTE]

Extremely inconvenient as they're spending like a day in Pittsburgh on the way out there with my dad's best friend growing up and I don't want to have to board my dog for 5 days again after doing it for 4 less than a month ago for my cousins wedding.

And I definitely don't have the money to spend on last minute airfare on thanksgiving, I don't even want to know how much that would cost.

And on top of that, it's not even like they're having a normal thanksgiving dinner, they're just going out somewhere to eat because my sister is only there for a few weeks for this one show so she's in a hotel, no kitchen to cook.

They're really going out there not for thanksgiving, but to see the show as they try to see as many as she works on, this just happened to be around thanksgiving so they decided to go out there for it.

I'll survive, it'll just be weird

zonacats8 11-23-2012 03:23 AM

So, anything but weird, just an outstanding day

Pulled my first 1/1, a nice Von Silhouette, and this might have been better than a regular thanksgiving dinner

1.05 lbs bone-in-ribeye with my cajun style seasoning I put on before grilling along with a few Fat Tires, absolutely delicious

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
[URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/267/img2196n.jpg/][IMG]http://img267.imageshack.us/img267/6351/img2196n.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

pierrethomasfan 11-23-2012 08:41 AM

The 1/1 alone in something to be thankful for :D can't imagine how it feels to pull one. Congrats again and glad your day turned out alright :)!

TrueNE_09 11-23-2012 08:52 AM

Nice pull on the 1 of 1 --- very cool!

zonacats8 11-23-2012 10:30 AM

[QUOTE=TrueNE_09;3686534]Nice pull on the 1 of 1 --- very cool![/QUOTE]

Thanks man, and congrats to you on the $50 gift card win, great timing for you to check that thread