Blowout Cards Forums
This Just In

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Off Topic

Off Topic This section may contain threads that are NSFW. This section is given a bit of leeway on some of the rules and so you may see some mild language and even some risqué images. Please no threads about race, religion, politics, or sexual orientation. Please no self promotion, sign up, or fundraising threads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2012, 08:29 PM   #1 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

Default Beer Tasting Party!

So I've been aging a few beers, some for a few years now and I'm gonna have a beer tasting/drinking party in a few weeks in honor of the Stone Vertical Epic series ending, let me know if I'm missing anything epic that I should try to attain:

Oakshire Brewing 'Big Black Jack' Pumpkin Porter
Ninkasi Brewing Radiant Ale Seasonal 2011
Rogue Voodoo Doughnut Maple Bacon
Rogue John John Ale
Stone 16th Anniversary
Stone Vertical Epic 8.8.8
Stone Vertical Epic 9.9.9
Stone Vertical Epic 10.10.10
Stone Vertical Epic 11.11.11
Deschutes 2009 Abyss Reserve
Deschutes Black Butte XXI 2010
Karl Strauss 'Two Tortugas' Holiday 2011 Quadruple Ale
Sierra Nevada 30th Anniversary Fritz & Ken's Stout
North Coast Old Rasputin 12th Anniversary Russian Imperial Stout 2009
Firestone Parabola
Firestone Abacus
Firestone Sucaba
Firestone XV Anniversary Ale

I really need to get my hands on the Firestone XVI Anniversary. I'm gonna open probably half of these, I think I can keep some back to age a while longer.
TOMBB25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:30 PM   #2 (permalink)

Dogfish Head Raison D' Etre
Interested in Orioles HOFers and Adam Jones, Manny Machado, Wei Yin Chen, Markakis, Chris Davis and Dylan Bundy. Also like Oakland Raiders HOFers along with Rich Gannon. I am always looking for any Eastern Shore League (1920's to 1947) baseball memorabilia!! It's hard to find but let me know if you see anything!
zachtruitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:31 PM   #3 (permalink)
Temporarily Suspended

Aging them?

Beer goes bad.

The summer after my freshman year of college I worked for the environmental sector of my father's company. We were to dispose of three complete pallets of expired beer. We definitely disposed of them. Tasted terrible, but it was free and I was underage, so you know where my priorities were.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:32 PM   #4 (permalink)

I can't promise it'll be the best you've ever tasted, but have this just to say you've had one:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOMBB25 View Post
Haven't heard of this, but it sounds like something I need to try.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:36 PM   #5 (permalink)
Temporarily Suspended

I have a bottle of Rogue Voodoo Doughnut Maple Bacon on my kitchen counter. Gift for father's day. Just never opened it.

Is there an alcohol lower threshhold for aging? I know the normal stuff spoils. The pallets I mentioned above were Sam Adams.

I have a few Budweiser 2000 bottles. Can't stand Bud, but wanted a collectible bottle. I have about a case of Taka beer from the 1990s. The beer was terrible to begin with and the brewery went out of business.

I rarely drink anymore, so most of what I have are months old. I've got about 200 cigars that are at least five years old now. No time for vices.

Last edited by fullmetal; 11-19-2012 at 08:41 PM.
fullmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:24 PM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

That is an awesome line up of beer my friend and quite $$$ at that. You are gonna be feeling damn good after sampling half of those. I sell beer for a loving and used to sell half of those brands so let's just say I have tasted my fair share of those. Enjoy and make sure you
Have some preztels handy

Quote:
So I've been aging a few beers, some for a few years now and I'm gonna have a beer tasting/drinking party in a few weeks in honor of the Stone Vertical Epic series ending, let me know if I'm missing anything epic that I should try to attain:

Oakshire Brewing 'Big Black Jack' Pumpkin Porter
Ninkasi Brewing Radiant Ale Seasonal 2011
Rogue John John Ale
Stone 16th Anniversary
Stone Vertical Epic 8.8.8
Stone Vertical Epic 9.9.9
Stone Vertical Epic 10.10.10
Stone Vertical Epic 11.11.11
Deschutes 2009 Abyss Reserve
Deschutes Black Butte XXI 2010
Karl Strauss 'Two Tortugas' Holiday 2011 Quadruple Ale
Sierra Nevada 30th Anniversary Fritz & Ken's Stout
North Coast Old Rasputin 12th Anniversary Russian Imperial Stout 2009
Firestone Parabola
Firestone Abacus
Firestone Sucaba
Firestone XV Anniversary Ale

I really need to get my hands on the Firestone XVI Anniversary. I'm gonna open probably half of these, I think I can keep some back to age a while longer.
Chaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:55 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachtruitt View Post
Dogfish Head Raison D' Etre
What an awesome brewery, I'll have to see if I can get that one locally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmetal View Post
Aging them?

Beer goes bad.

The summer after my freshman year of college I worked for the environmental sector of my father's company. We were to dispose of three complete pallets of expired beer. We definitely disposed of them. Tasted terrible, but it was free and I was underage, so you know where my priorities were.
Not really an issue with these, beer like wine can age very well but depends on the beer, these should be doing well, as long as the temp stays stead

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAndrew View Post
I can't promise it'll be the best you've ever tasted, but have this just to say you've had one:

Haven't heard of this, but it sounds like something I need to try.
I drink Arrogant on the regular, I actually had it two nights ago lol, just an awesome all around beer. Arrogant, Dead Guy and Racer 5 are my go to beers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmetal View Post
I have a bottle of Rogue Voodoo Doughnut Maple Bacon on my kitchen counter. Gift for father's day. Just never opened it.

Is there an alcohol lower threshhold for aging? I know the normal stuff spoils. The pallets I mentioned above were Sam Adams.

I have a few Budweiser 2000 bottles. Can't stand Bud, but wanted a collectible bottle. I have about a case of Taka beer from the 1990s. The beer was terrible to begin with and the brewery went out of business.

I rarely drink anymore, so most of what I have are months old. I've got about 200 cigars that are at least five years old now. No time for vices.
I'm literally just serving this beer at my tasting party to get rid of it, I think it's disgusting, definitely a novelty beer to have for fun. I ordered two of them, wasn't even able to come close to finishing the first one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaz View Post
That is an awesome line up of beer my friend and quite $$$ at that. You are gonna be feeling damn good after sampling half of those. I sell beer for a loving and used to sell half of those brands so let's just say I have tasted my fair share of those. Enjoy and make sure you
Have some preztels handy
Thanks for the kind words, I'll probably open half of them and let the others sit for a while longer. I pick up about 10 beers a year to age, just depending on what I find. There are a few beers out there I can't get over here in CA, like Goose Island stuff, I have a friend in Chicago that should be back here next week and I'm hoping she surprises me
Old 11-20-2012, 12:15 AM   #8 (permalink)

OK, I have to bite on this thread. I may mispell a bit but:

We have a new local brewery here in the Twin Cities named SURLY! It may be hard for you to get any as they are having growing pains and are very local.

Surly Furious: An all out assault of hops on your taste buds, but it works because of the simco hops that provide a grapefruity aftertase.

Surly Coffee Bender: Sound gross? It's not, incredibly smooth beer with a tiny hint of coffee flavor, not overbearing.

They have 3-4 other kinds, but they weren't as good.

Dragons Milk is my favorite high gravity imperial style stout.

If you have a Trader Joes in your area and haven't sampled their Boatswain line of beers, they are a must! Very reasonable, yet very well crafted beers. They have:

Double IPA: great IPA with quite the kick 8.6%
American IPA: one of the best IPA's I've ever tasted
Heavy lift vessel: very smooth high gravity beer
Chocolate Stout: not so much

Can't remember the names of them but I've also been sampling some of the new beers aged in oak whisky barrels, usually come in a box. Very, very tasty.
Check out my photobucket by clicking on my homepage in the drop down list under my username. Looking for any Twins cards I don't have, and Mickey Mantle refractors that I don't have. I will trade for bait, on occasion. 2011 Topps Chrome auto set completed!!
stumpfreeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 02:40 AM   #9 (permalink)

You know what you're missing? This guy! Those beers are very rare. I can't think of anything else other than the Chimay 150th Anniversary and maybe the Firestone Double DBA. I think double DBA tastes like Sam Adams Utopia (at least close to it) for $300 cheaper.

Enjoy!
Old 11-20-2012, 07:26 AM   #10 (permalink)

Founders KBS.
MasterPattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:23 AM   #11 (permalink)

Not sure if you can find it in Cali or not but Dragons Milk is an awesome beer.

My Sportscardalbum -> http://sportscardalbum.com/u/jiggidy
jiggidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:30 AM   #12 (permalink)

Best i have ever had is three floyd's zombiedust. Real hard to find outside indiana but it is freaking amazing.
I also have 13 autos or relics for under $1
SpastikMooss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:04 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
What an awesome brewery, I'll have to see if I can get that one locally.

Not really an issue with these, beer like wine can age very well but depends on the beer, these should be doing well, as long as the temp stays stead

I drink Arrogant on the regular, I actually had it two nights ago lol, just an awesome all around beer. Arrogant, Dead Guy and Racer 5 are my go to beers.

I'm literally just serving this beer at my tasting party to get rid of it, I think it's disgusting, definitely a novelty beer to have for fun. I ordered two of them, wasn't even able to come close to finishing the first one.

Thanks for the kind words, I'll probably open half of them and let the others sit for a while longer. I pick up about 10 beers a year to age, just depending on what I find. There are a few beers out there I can't get over here in CA, like Goose Island stuff, I have a friend in Chicago that should be back here next week and I'm hoping she surprises me

Dogfish Head is definitely worth the search! My buddy recently moved to California and he has been looking for it too. It says on their website that they don't have a distributor there yet but I'm sure it can be found. Their seasonal brews are always spot on and I haven't had a bad beer yet! It helps that the brewery is 20 minutes from my house!!
Interested in Orioles HOFers and Adam Jones, Manny Machado, Wei Yin Chen, Markakis, Chris Davis and Dylan Bundy. Also like Oakland Raiders HOFers along with Rich Gannon. I am always looking for any Eastern Shore League (1920's to 1947) baseball memorabilia!! It's hard to find but let me know if you see anything!
Old 11-20-2012, 10:06 AM   #14 (permalink)

Sorry, I'm an idiot! They do have a distributor in CA so it can be found!!
Old 11-20-2012, 12:17 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodie27 View Post
You know what you're missing? This guy! Those beers are very rare. I can't think of anything else other than the Chimay 150th Anniversary and maybe the Firestone Double DBA. I think double DBA tastes like Sam Adams Utopia (at least close to it) for $300 cheaper.

Enjoy!
If you can make it up to Napa on December 9th, you're invited

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggidy View Post
Not sure if you can find it in Cali or not but Dragons Milk is an awesome beer.

I've heard of it, just recently but have never seen it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachtruitt View Post
Sorry, I'm an idiot! They do have a distributor in CA so it can be found!!
Yeah dogfish is everywhere, BevMo's, Whole Foods, etc. They just don't distribute everything, so you typically see their normal stuff, i.e. 90-minute IPA and a few of their specialty brews like Bitches' Brew, but very seldom.
Old 11-20-2012, 12:22 PM   #16 (permalink)

La Fin Du Monde - Unibroue - Chambly, QC, Canada - BeerAdvocate

This is a spectacular beer (at least imo), if you're able to find it in CA. They're from the Quebec area, so don't know their distribution area.
Old 11-20-2012, 02:11 PM   #17 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonValdez View Post
La Fin Du Monde - Unibroue - Chambly, QC, Canada - BeerAdvocate

This is a spectacular beer (at least imo), if you're able to find it in CA. They're from the Quebec area, so don't know their distribution area.
Very good and it's in most grocery stores and in bevmo and total wine and whole foods
Chaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:05 PM   #18 (permalink)

Anything Weyerbacher if you can get your hands on it. It's a local brew from PA but is slowly crawling into the tri-state area because it's absolutely amazing.

Merry Monks is my favorite - if you have an opportunity to buy it, do so.
cjsayde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 09:41 AM   #19 (permalink)

I am having the Vertical Epic 8.8.8 and 9.9.9 for X-Mas with my dad and brother...let me know how it is!! I saw stone recently posted on Facebook on trying some of their aged Epics, it sounded pretty cool.
wmposs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 12:36 PM   #20 (permalink)

I've never personally tried it.

Also collecting Funko POP!, CGC'd comics, Complete/Sealed N64 stuff.
SimplyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 01:03 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmposs View Post
I am having the Vertical Epic 8.8.8 and 9.9.9 for X-Mas with my dad and brother...let me know how it is!! I saw stone recently posted on Facebook on trying some of their aged Epics, it sounded pretty cool.
Yeah they were posting their tasting notes this past weekend I think it was, I need to go back and see if I can grab those for my party.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplyG View Post
I've never personally tried it.

Is nuclear penguin still the highest alcohol % beer? I know a few years ago it was #1, I've never tried it either, just crazy
Old 11-21-2012, 01:51 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Is nuclear penguin still the highest alcohol % beer? I know a few years ago it was #1, I've never tried it either, just crazy
Not anymore. BrewDog released "The End Of History" which they claim to be their last high % brew. It's 55% if I remember correctly. I've never seen it in a store before but I know a few guys that have found it.
cjsayde is offline   Reply With Quote