Blowout Cards Forums
Draft Kings

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Off Topic

Off Topic This section may contain threads that are NSFW. This section is given a bit of leeway on some of the rules and so you may see some mild language and even some risqué images. Please no threads about race, religion, politics, or sexual orientation. Please no self promotion, sign up, or fundraising threads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2012, 02:06 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default What the **** is my son thinking?! HELP!

I normally don't make posts like this but I am dumbfounded and have no idea what to do here and I thought maybe some of the parents here could help.

Backstory: My wife and I found out, about 2 months ago, my 10 yr old son was taking Lunch bag snacks and candy from the kitchen and stashing them in his room when we found a stash of wrappers under his bed. We sat him down and talked to him about it and told him to quit it. He is taking ADHD medication and we have been trying to limit his candy and sugar intake to help with his issues.

Fast forward to this past week: He had been behaving great lately and all he asked for Christmas was an iPod touch. So we had decided to get it for him. Purchased it a few weeks back when it was on sale. THEN all the sudden My son starts acting goofy, more than normal lol, misbehaving, not listening well and just generally being disrespectful. So we had threatened to take back the iPod unless he shaped up.

Then while my wife was helping the kids clean thier rooms this morning she found a small garbage can full of candy, gummies, nutrigrain, and oatmeal bars wrappers stashed on a shelf in his closet. So not only has he been acting up again, he is hiding food again!?!

My wife, at her wits end, took him to the store with her this morning and took the iPod back so he knows we meant it and followed thru with our words.

My question...has ANYONE dealt with this type of behavior before with thier kids!? I do not know how else to deal with this.

aaaaahhhhhh!
Old 11-21-2012, 02:12 PM   #2 (permalink)

I think this is all part of growing up. Kudos to you and the wife for following through on returning the Ipod Touch. Hopefully this will be a lesson that he does not forget and it will get him on track. You seem to be doing just fine with your parenting.

Now if you have any advice on how to overcome a self-entitled 15 year old daughter who wants a $90 pair of shoes.....
Concentrating on my personal collection. Please drop me a PM if you have any of the following for sale: Topps Football 1956-1959; 1961-1964, 1967-1968; Philadelphia Football 1964-1967, Autographs of Baseball/Football Vintage Stars and Hall of Famers (especially on card autos), 1990's Topps Chrome Refractor Inserts of all sports.
37Jetson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 02:25 PM   #3 (permalink)

How is he getting all the candy/sweets/etc? Is it coming from inside the house? Or somewhere else? Can you just eliminate the source (e.g., not have them around, or hide them, or lock them in the cabinet, etc)? Sounds like the sugar is a big part of the problem, right? So if you can cut that out of the equation (like you tried before), then you should be good. Hmmm, what to do?
TrueNE_09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 02:28 PM   #4 (permalink)

Sugar can be an actual addiction. You mentioned he's on ADHD meds and you have been trying to cut out his sugar consumption. He may actually be sneaking it because he's craving it and it makes him feel good when he eats it. You may need to find some alternatives to satisfy the cravings he is having. My suggestion is to find out if part of this behavior is physical ie sugar addiction. No punishment will make him stop if he cant help himself. Talk to your pediatrician. Also a nutritionist/dietician can help with ways to alter/supplement his diet to satisfy those sugar cravings. There's lots of good info online about this too. Good luck!
Chucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 02:28 PM   #5 (permalink)

Feed him more during meals.
Teach him about healthy snacks.
Eliminate the candy from your house.

I wish I could give you some better advice, but I do not have kids and haven't dealt with these issues yet. But it all seems quite simple.
Old 11-21-2012, 02:34 PM   #6 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to asujbl

Replace the filling in any candy or snack with Nyquil
asujbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 02:43 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucky View Post
Sugar can be an actual addiction. You mentioned he's on ADHD meds and you have been trying to cut out his sugar consumption. He may actually be sneaking it because he's craving it and it makes him feel good when he eats it. You may need to find some alternatives to satisfy the cravings he is having. My suggestion is to find out if part of this behavior is physical ie sugar addiction. No punishment will make him stop if he cant help himself. Talk to your pediatrician. Also a nutritionist/dietician can help with ways to alter/supplement his diet to satisfy those sugar cravings. There's lots of good info online about this too. Good luck!
I'm sorry but I have to disagree here, this is the 21st century answer. Rules are rules, and kids need to be taught right from wrong. You made the right call by returning the gift. As a parent you need to be firm with your punishments. I would say beat his ass, but that's illegal now!! I don't think your child being ADHD has much to do with it. Many of us could have been diagnosed as ADHD in the 70 and 80's and we turned out just fine.
thebear29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 02:51 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueNE_09 View Post
How is he getting all the candy/sweets/etc? Is it coming from inside the house? Or somewhere else? Can you just eliminate the source (e.g., not have them around, or hide them, or lock them in the cabinet, etc)? Sounds like the sugar is a big part of the problem, right? So if you can cut that out of the equation (like you tried before), then you should be good. Hmmm, what to do?
All of the wrappers we have seen are stuff that we have bought for the kids lunches (Nutrigrain, cereal bars and gummies) or candy that they got at Halloween. We have allowed him to have a piece or 2 as a desert or treat, but he eats those in the kitchen and throws away the wrappers.

As far as eating more at meals, we haven't put any restrictions on meals. If he wants seconds or such he is allowed so I am not sure it is a hunger thing.

We are going to eliminate the candy we have in the house now. And untill we get him under control again we wont be buying gummies and snack bars for lunches.

Something has to give, I refuse to have my child sneaking and stashing food.

Old 11-21-2012, 03:05 PM   #9 (permalink)
XL5

I'd guess that some of the sudden change in behavior is due to him being hopped up on sugar, so stop one, stop the other.

Also check with your pediatrician. There could be a sugar craving caused by a blood sugar or other physiological issue (like hypoglycemia, etc.).
Old 11-21-2012, 03:09 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by asujbl View Post
Replace the filling in any candy or snack with Nyquil
Hahahaha, love this idea, knock his ass out
zonacats8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 03:11 PM   #11 (permalink)

is snacking strictly regimented at your house? Maybe he's stashing for later when snacks aren't allowed?

Has he said why he does it?

Don't ask me how much I want to offer. Come with a price in mind. If I don't want it or think it's worth that, I will let you know.
Clarka3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 03:28 PM   #12 (permalink)

my kids havent tried to sneak or hide sweets.. but they always want it for their snacks... obviously your 1st move is to remove the sources from the house...if you shop once a week.. keep just enough for the weeks lunch snacks.. if they disappear, its easy to notice, and then he gets nothing for lunch snack the rest of the week... my nephew did this crap for a while... his mom went to store one day and he went in freezer and ate about 30 of those icee pops..

ive also caught him tryin to sneak something into my kids room from pantry to eat without asking... what i told MY kids about this. is that sneaking is a form of LYING..
Old 11-21-2012, 03:34 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarka3 View Post
is snacking strictly regimented at your house? Maybe he's stashing for later when snacks aren't allowed?

Has he said why he does it?
His only explaination for it is: "I dunno."
Then when asked if he knew it was wrong: "Yeah I know."

Old 11-21-2012, 03:37 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by roc21 View Post
my kids havent tried to sneak or hide sweets.. but they always want it for their snacks... obviously your 1st move is to remove the sources from the house...if you shop once a week.. keep just enough for the weeks lunch snacks.. if they disappear, its easy to notice, and then he gets nothing for lunch snack the rest of the week... my nephew did this crap for a while... his mom went to store one day and he went in freezer and ate about 30 of those icee pops..

ive also caught him tryin to sneak something into my kids room from pantry to eat without asking... what i told MY kids about this. is that sneaking is a form of LYING..
Good ideas. Thank you. We have explained the lying thing too.

Old 11-21-2012, 03:49 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by garpike View Post

well do you guys as a family only allow certain snacking times? Obviously most families have a no-no time for snacking before Dinner, but do you not allow snacks later in the evening?

If you restrict that, perhaps he is stashing for later?

Don't ask me how much I want to offer. Come with a price in mind. If I don't want it or think it's worth that, I will let you know.
Old 11-21-2012, 03:53 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarka3 View Post
well do you guys as a family only allow certain snacking times? Obviously most families have a no-no time for snacking before Dinner, but do you not allow snacks later in the evening?

If you restrict that, perhaps he is stashing for later?
He normally gets a snack when he gets home from school.
But pretty much after dinner as a rule we don't let him have anything else to eat. Sometimes if we watch a movie with the kids we will let them have popcorn or something like that during the movie, but as a general guideline no snacks after dinner.
Old 11-21-2012, 04:03 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
He normally gets a snack when he gets home from school.
But pretty much after dinner as a rule we don't let him have anything else to eat. Sometimes if we watch a movie with the kids we will let them have popcorn or something like that during the movie, but as a general guideline no snacks after dinner.
that might be the issue. Not saying what you're doing is wrong by any means. I never hoarded anything since we could eat freely any time except before meals. When visiting my dad, that side of the family had a designated "night snack" type deal where we'd all sit and watch some tv together and have a light snack about an hour or two before bed.

he might be getting hungry late at night so that's why he's stashing snacks.

Old 11-21-2012, 04:07 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
I normally don't make posts like this but I am dumbfounded and have no idea what to do here and I thought maybe some of the parents here could help.

Backstory: My wife and I found out, about 2 months ago, my 10 yr old son was taking Lunch bag snacks and candy from the kitchen and stashing them in his room when we found a stash of wrappers under his bed. We sat him down and talked to him about it and told him to quit it. He is taking ADHD medication and we have been trying to limit his candy and sugar intake to help with his issues.

Fast forward to this past week: He had been behaving great lately and all he asked for Christmas was an iPod touch. So we had decided to get it for him. Purchased it a few weeks back when it was on sale. THEN all the sudden My son starts acting goofy, more than normal lol, misbehaving, not listening well and just generally being disrespectful. So we had threatened to take back the iPod unless he shaped up.

Then while my wife was helping the kids clean thier rooms this morning she found a small garbage can full of candy, gummies, nutrigrain, and oatmeal bars wrappers stashed on a shelf in his closet. So not only has he been acting up again, he is hiding food again!?!

My wife, at her wits end, took him to the store with her this morning and took the iPod back so he knows we meant it and followed thru with our words.

My question...has ANYONE dealt with this type of behavior before with thier kids!? I do not know how else to deal with this.

aaaaahhhhhh!
I'll trade you my 14 year old for your 10 year old. You've seen nothing yet. Wait until you clean his room and find a cell phone that isn't his (twice!), get multiple calls from his school about crazy things you'd never think he would even consider being stupid enough to do, try, or is capable of, have to actually lock rooms of your house up, and the list goes on and on. Food wrappers are fairly common, not sure if I know of a kid that didn't grab a snack/candy/whatever, and stash it in their room. Heck, I found pizza crusts on a plate under his bed once (around two years ago, so about age 12). And yes, we've taught him right from wrong, level punishments (spanking, grounding, loss of television and video games, etc). Yet we are still baffled on a daily basis by ours. He's a good kid, but does some of the most amazingly stupid stuff. I keep telling myself 3 1/2 more years and we'll be free, it's the only thing that helps me to not go completely crazy. I love him, but can't wait to see him go.

We took Christmas gifts back when he was 9 or 10, it didn't change anything. In fact, it kinda turned into a habit. Seems every year he has some sort of big screwup right before Christmas every year now. He's off this week of course, but if he can get through to the Christmas break without a major fiasco of some sort, I'll thank my lucky stars.

Every kid is different though, maybe this is as far as he will go and you can count yourselves as fortunate. However, I'd prepare for things to get even goofier and weirder, and cause you massive stress and problems in the future.

I wish you guys luck.
MasterOfTheDark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 04:33 PM   #19 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to rtaylor16

[QUOTE=MasterOfTheDark;3677351]I'll trade you my 14 year old for your 10 year old. You've seen nothing yet. Wait until you clean his room and find a cell phone that isn't his (twice!)

hey now were not that bad
rtaylor16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 06:49 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MI Rob View Post
Feed him more during meals.
Teach him about healthy snacks.
Eliminate the candy from your house.

I wish I could give you some better advice, but I do not have kids and haven't dealt with these issues yet. But it all seems quite simple.
Few things are more annoying than someone offering opinions on how to raise children without having any themselves. But yeah, it is all just so simple. Don't comment without having any experience dude, you really just don't have a clue.
btimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 06:51 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:

I remember when my dad used to ask me why I did something that was wrong. I answered the same way. If he tells you the truth ("Because I wanted it", you would get ticked and think he was smarting off and that is all it is in reality.

I used to sneak snacks when I was younger and the reason was ... because I wanted it.
btimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 06:52 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimm View Post
Few things are more annoying than someone offering opinions on how to raise children without having any themselves. But yeah, it is all just so simple. Don't comment without having any experience dude, you really just don't have a clue.
Thanks for your insight, dude!