Blowout Cards Forums
Advertise On Forum

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Off Topic

Off Topic This section may contain threads that are NSFW. This section is given a bit of leeway on some of the rules and so you may see some mild language and even some risqué images. Please no threads about race, religion, politics, or sexual orientation. Please no self promotion, sign up, or fundraising threads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2012, 11:04 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Christmas...a time for giving...

Well, I'm guessing the majority of you 'thought' oh, a thread on giving! Must be giving some cards for free or something!! Well, sorry to disappoint you...I'm looking for some of your personal experiences of giving...it's definitely that time of year, although we should all be thankful year round and try to help the less fortunate as much as possible.

I'm not saying we need to give a handout to those not willing to actually put in the effort to make ends meet (put your pitchforks down), but to those individuals that are really in need of something, even if its just someone that will sit down with them for 5 minutes to listen and talk with them. I'm going to visit some of the local shelters/hospitals and see if I can do anything for some of the less fortunate.

I'm in-between jobs right now and on a limited income, but I know I am better off than many people out there. I am thankful for everything I have and look forward to what's ahead. I just hope I can make a difference in someone else's life that isn't as fortunate...

So, good to hear I rate military disability....too bad it's 0%....
jlcherry2477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:18 PM   #2 (permalink)

2 years ago or so, we donated gifts to a whole family for Christmas. My family went crazy getting everything we could from the list of things they said they needed. Some of the things they wanted were so basic that even now as I type this it brings tears to my eyes. Clothes, shoes, toiletries. The boy wanted a football. The girl wanted one doll. No way we could leave it at that. We went bezerk! Dropped off bags and bags of presents, mom and dad got stuff, too. Best Christmas ever!

This year my oldest son and I have been volunteering at church to serve dinner at for the homeless (they run a shelter there once a week). His response to helping them was has been overwhelming and powerful, he wanted so badly to help these folks any way he could, he made me so proud.

Christmas is about what you can do for others, not mall shopping, gift wrap, or tinsel. Thanks for reminding me, OP. I'm going to go find a way to give to someone tomorrow. And not a buck in the red bucket outside the grocery store, I mean give!

Who's with me?
Old 12-04-2012, 11:26 PM   #3 (permalink)

Recent things I can recall:

-Card giveaway.
-Sent someone an Xbox Live code so he could have an enjoyable weekend with friends.
-Had a very personal and in-depth conversation with a member here about personal problems and gave all the advice I could think of.
-Donated money towards a terminal cancer patient -(If you were to ever tell someone that knows me that I donated money, they wouldn't believe you).

I know I haven't done anything monumental, but I've never been so giving in my life. Truly feels great.
MI Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:26 PM   #4 (permalink)

Im with you brisco...Every year my fiance and I try to do one of the kids from the Salvation Army tree. Well this year we have been blessed with an engagement, success in business, etc. Well after 1 of the Angels, we see a ton still left on the tree a day or two before gifts need to be in, so we grab another. Also decided to "adopt an elder" from the Salvation Army. We have a great time shopping for them knowing how much they will appreciate it, and would rather spend our money on others in need than one another. To us, its all about giving this time of year.
bcarneal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:44 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by briscogun View Post

Who's with me?
Your entire story...Amazing. It's definitely the small things that those families/individuals that have nothing appreciate the most. We live in a society where a simple gesture of kindness can come off as us thinking we're better than them...thank you for your act of generosity...

So, good to hear I rate military disability....too bad it's 0%....
jlcherry2477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 12:04 AM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

Loaded up a shopping cart with food and donated to the local police department for their food drive the other day.

Have 18 unopened action figures dropping off at Toys for Tots this week.

And just because I felt like it, sent a 1/1 to a guy on here of a player he pc.

I do this to keep myself humble and to remind myself to always be grateful for what I have.
It is important for me to remember all my struggles prior to getting to where I am today.

Plus, it brings me joy.
sdoug76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 12:14 AM   #7 (permalink)

The church gives us plastic tubs with lids to fill for children in orphanages in Africa and stuff. You pick a gender and age and fill i accordingly. I did a boy this year age 6. Filled it with some maui balls, nerf balls, cars, crayons, and some other fun stuff along with band-aids, toothbrush, and toothpaste. It is really nice to know a kid will be opening your box on Christmas morning . I also do the Angel tree at JcPenny. You get a person and buy what they want on thier Christmas list and JCpenny wraps it and ships it to there door. If you can put a smile on someone Else's face, that's worth more than anything in the world.
GoVols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 03:17 AM   #8 (permalink)

Church in downtown Cincinnati has a program where you adopt a family. Each person in the family has a list and basically its time to go shop. You can choose to drop off the gifts or have the church do it for you. We have done this the past 4 years and its humbling to see the things they love that we take for granted. Most are inner city families that dont have alot. For instance last year our adopted family was a grandmother, mother, and her 2 children. The adults were so happy with nightgowns and iron and hair dryer. The children each got a bike from us and a couple of basketball they asked for. Also got them a couple bike helmets. This year we are waiting for the families to be assigned and ones that arent taken we will do our best to provide for additional folks this year. I must say I enjoy seeing the joy on the faces of others and I am glad my wife introduced me to this. I hope our children carry on the tradition as they get older. St Vincent de Paul is the church in Cincinnati. Some members here may know it.
cruiserdaddy7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:50 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoVols View Post
The church gives us plastic tubs with lids to fill for children in orphanages in Africa and stuff. You pick a gender and age and fill i accordingly. I did a boy this year age 6. Filled it with some maui balls, nerf balls, cars, crayons, and some other fun stuff along with band-aids, toothbrush, and toothpaste. It is really nice to know a kid will be opening your box on Christmas morning . I also do the Angel tree at JcPenny. You get a person and buy what they want on thier Christmas list and JCpenny wraps it and ships it to there door. If you can put a smile on someone Else's face, that's worth more than anything in the world.
Sounds like Operation Christmas Child... our church does that too. We do one every year. My girls like picking out presents for their "African friend".

I've been volunteering at the soup kitchen for the last few years. This year I'm taking my oldest with me to help as well. This is a year round thing for me, not just once a year (for those who think I'm an ice cold conservative), but I want my daughters to realize that there are many people less fortunate than they.
frozenntimesports is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:35 AM   #10 (permalink)

Got a chuckle out of "Africa and stuff"

I recently started volunteering Friday nights at an Out of the Cold program. It is a pretty small operation. 125 for dinner, about 60 for clothing and 45 sleep there overnight. Apparently, in university towns, the same type of program is very popular -- it is not just for the homeless. People that have jobs, homes, come to the one I volunteer at -- for a meal or for a winter coat that they just can't afford right now.

I am pretty introverted so this is also helping me put down the guard I have.
Ooosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:56 AM   #11 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

I try to do things year round. It's amazing what a small gesture will do.

We do a Holdiay Hope tree here at work. I always try to get there as ssoon as they do it so I can grab a tag for a child wanting a gift.

This year was a 5 year old wanting a winter coat. So we went out last weekend and bought a very nice, warm, pink coat for a little girl. Also bought some Play Doh toys to go with the coat.

Do Toys for Tots evey year.

Sometimes people going good can get jaded though. My daughter has always been a reactionary person so she would want to do something the day before Tanksgiving or Christmas.

A couple of years ago a woman I work with was getting a goup together to work a holiday party for homeless families of Boston. I found out 6 weeks before the event and sent it to her.

She went with her boyfriend at the time. She said quite a few people were there only for the presents and a couple of the women at her table were very rude about it. She was shocked that homeless families had smart phones and IPods.

She never went back again.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/jon-s-box-breaks-and-more
jlzinck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:59 AM   #12 (permalink)

When I make more money I want to do an adopt a family thing for Christmas and thanksgiving and such. The only thing is I would like to meet the family, get to know them, but I understand people may want to remain anonymous. I always said if i won the powerball, I would keep probably 3 Million tops, the rest would go towards building new homeless shelters, paying medical bills for very sick children, helping build YMCA's for after school programs, fund school programs so they don't have to be shut down. If only I had the money, even though it's not always about the money, I know that it can do a lot of good.

"Always with them negative waves"- Oddball
"Uh-uh, I don't tip"- Mr. Pink
ajlaxmn is offline   Reply With Quote