Blowout Cards Forums

Blowout Cards Forums (http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/)
-   Off Topic (http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/off-topic/)
-   -   "SHORT" Explanation of Why MacBooks are Worth All the Extra $$$ (http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/off-topic/412570-short-explanation-why-macbooks-worth-all-extra.html)

Zacky1053 12-11-2012 02:30 PM

"SHORT" Explanation of Why MacBooks are Worth All the Extra $$$

I know there are some Mac users here so here's a question for ya.

My brother's doing some teaching over in India this Spring and he's getting a MacBook for Christmas. We were originally going to get him an iPad (we all just got iPhone 5's too) but so many schools even here use Macs still.

We've been a PC family forever. Macs don't seem to have anywhere near the same storage capacity and most models are smaller than even the more expensive PC models, but I've heard stories about them being longer lasting and how they're less vulnerable to viruses, spyware, etc.

Explanation?

Clarka3 12-11-2012 03:01 PM

short explanation?

it's an apple.

(PC Guy)

Josh611 12-11-2012 03:09 PM

It depends on what the Mac is being used for

I know he's using it for teaching, but what exactly is he doing with it?

rip+flip 12-11-2012 03:11 PM

for example just like a hyundai could be just as nice as a bmw or mercedes and have all the same features and accessories, but yet the bmw or mercedes cost twice as much. or like how a walmart collared shirt could be made same quality as an abercrombie and fitch shirt, but the abercrombie shirt cost twice as much. its the brand name people are willing to pay a lot of money for a brand.

HP is to Apple as Hyundai is to Mercedes.

im also pretty stoned right now so this might make little to no sense

tajikey 12-11-2012 03:31 PM

It's called marketing magic...that's all.

MI Rob 12-11-2012 03:36 PM

He doesn't need it unless he's doing a large amount of artistic things with it (Photoshop, video editing, etc..)

The only truth I've really seen proven is that they last a tad longer, but if you know how to treat a PC, it'll last just as long.

Other than that, it's all marketing.

premium1981 12-11-2012 03:54 PM

[QUOTE=rip+flip;3797327]for example just like a hyundai could be just as nice as a bmw or mercedes and have all the same features and accessories, but yet the bmw or mercedes cost twice as much.[/QUOTE]

You have obviously never owned a BMW. I had the same midset before my wife talked me into buying her an X3. A Hyundai can have the EXACT same features and accessories as a BMW and still not be in the same ballpark.

Zacky1053 12-11-2012 05:10 PM

Think I got what I needed. Thanks.

Nicnac 12-11-2012 05:19 PM

[QUOTE=rip+flip;3797327]for example just like a hyundai could be just as nice as a bmw or mercedes and have all the same features and accessories, but yet the bmw or mercedes cost twice as much. or like how a walmart collared shirt could be made same quality as an abercrombie and fitch shirt, but the abercrombie shirt cost twice as much. its the brand name people are willing to pay a lot of money for a brand.

HP is to Apple as Hyundai is to Mercedes.

im also pretty stoned right now so this might make little to no sense[/QUOTE]

Uh no. Perhaps if your Hyundai were more likely to fail in the middle of the road. Which they don't. HP however... crapolicious.

Perhaps if the BMW weren't likely to fail in the middle of the road.
Which they sometimes do. My former bosses brand new Beemer, nothing but trouble with the onboard computer deciding at random he had stolen the car.

monkeymcgee 12-11-2012 05:28 PM

Short answer: just try one

I use PCs for work and my main personal machine is a PC. But I love my MacBook.

Zacky1053 12-11-2012 05:43 PM

[QUOTE=monkeymcgee;3797983]Short answer: just try one

I use PCs for work and my main personal machine is a PC. But I love my MacBook.[/QUOTE]

Yeah guess it's just being afraid of what's different.

I used Macs as a kid (and actually in high school when I wrote for the newspaper) and don't remember having any major issues with how "different" it was from the PC interface wise.

mainerunr 12-11-2012 06:05 PM

[QUOTE=MI Rob;3797481]He doesn't need it unless he's doing a large amount of artistic things with it (Photoshop, video editing, etc..)

The only truth I've really seen proven is that they last a tad longer, but if you know how to treat a PC, it'll last just as long.

Other than that, it's all marketing.[/QUOTE]

you do know that they make photoshop for windows too right? does the same things...

your second statement makes no sense at all. either it lasts longer or it doesnt...imho, it doesnt.

Orangejello727 12-11-2012 06:53 PM

Im sure tajikey will come and rail me pretty good for supporting apple for this..

If you need a reason to buy a macbook, then you arent ready for one.

As for the example of Hyundai vs BMW. Until you own something of quality, you will not understand the difference.

Why do people buy Topps chrome when you can buy Topps and get the same thing? I mean you get the same players, autos, relics, yet people will spend more to get chrome vs topps. Why?

jeg2315 12-11-2012 07:02 PM

There mere fact that Apple has engrained people with their marketing is enough - they "earn" vastly disproportionate revenue compared to their market share.

Apple's campaign, in a sense, is akin to how cigarettes still have so much staying power given the long-term, industry-wide PR spin: it's taken away from hard "evidence" to quantify and compare their alleged characteristics to PCs, so what's left to influence that?

Josh611 12-11-2012 07:17 PM

I wish I could find the one that has the apple logo too but I could not

You really do pay for the logo

If you're only using it for daily use, there is no reason to get a Mac

You can't say this is not the truth. I own an iPhone and iPad so I'm not an Android person, but you truly do pay for the brand.
[IMG]http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g433/Josh611/Randomness/beats-by-dr-dre-funny.jpg[/IMG]

Orangejello727 12-11-2012 07:17 PM

[QUOTE=jeg2315;3798723]There mere fact that Apple has engrained people with their marketing is enough - they "earn" vastly disproportionate revenue compared to their market share.

Apple's campaign, in a sense, is akin to how cigarettes still have so much staying power given the long-term, industry-wide PR spin: it's taken away from hard "evidence" to quantify and compare their alleged characteristics to PCs, so what's left to influence that?[/QUOTE]

Or maybe its because they put out a far superior quality product compared to the competition?

comparing it to cigarettes / addiction is not the same thing.

Why dont you compare to something like

Buying 2 cars that can get you from point a to b but costing different?

Or buying Topps to Topps chrome? WHy pay more for Chrome ?

Orangejello727 12-11-2012 07:18 PM

[QUOTE=Josh611;3798832]I wish I could find the one that has the apple logo too but I could not

You really do pay for the logo

If you're only using it for daily use, there is no reason to get a Mac

You can't say this is not the truth. I own an iPhone and iPad so I'm not an Android person, but you truly do pay for the brand.
[IMG]http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g433/Josh611/Randomness/beats-by-dr-dre-funny.jpg[/IMG][/QUOTE]

WHat kind of shoes do you wear?
What type of cereal do you eat?

80% of your lifestyle is about branding. How is this any different?

The pic on the right is a knock off. It probably doesnt even perform the same as the one on the left. But you wouldnt know this becuase you dont purchase things like that on the left.

MI Rob 12-11-2012 07:51 PM

[QUOTE=mainerunr;3798256]you do know that they make photoshop for windows too right? does the same things...

your second statement makes no sense at all. either it lasts longer or it doesnt...imho, it doesnt.[/QUOTE]

Yes I know they make Photoshop and Illustrator for Windows, I have Photoshop. I've used the same programs on both PC and Apple, they seem to perform better on an Apple product. I'm not sure why. But I'm pretty sure there is a reason my imaging and graphic design classes have always used Macs.

It makes perfect sense. If you give an average person a PC and a Mac, have them use it for their daily uses, the Mac will last longer without regular maintenance. People who know PCs well and are good with maintenance will make a PC last just as long as a Mac will.

MI Rob 12-11-2012 07:52 PM

[QUOTE=Orangejello727;3798842]WHat kind of shoes do you wear?
What type of cereal do you eat?

80% of your lifestyle is about branding. How is this any different?

The pic on the right is a knock off. It probably doesnt even perform the same as the one on the left. But you wouldnt know this becuase you dont purchase things like that on the left.[/QUOTE]

Slap that red B sticker on the pair of headphones on the right, people won't know the difference if they have never used the real ones.

MikeMamba 12-11-2012 07:54 PM

I just got one like 5 days ago.

I have liked it a lot so far!

Orangejello727 12-11-2012 07:54 PM

[QUOTE=MI Rob;3799061]Slap that red B sticker on the pair of headphones on the right, people won't know the difference if they have never used the real ones.[/QUOTE]

Sure they will. Just like if you slap a BMW badge on a Hyundai!! People can tell the difference especially when they know what they are purchasing!!

Now you have a case if you slap a Dell badge on a HP laptop. Its all the same garbage, cant tell the difference lol :D

jeg2315 12-11-2012 07:55 PM

[QUOTE=Orangejello727;3798834]Or maybe its because they put out a far superior quality product compared to the competition?

comparing it to cigarettes / addiction is not the same thing.

Why dont you compare to something like

Buying 2 cars that can get you from point a to b but costing different?

Or buying Topps to Topps chrome? WHy pay more for Chrome ?[/QUOTE]

The idea is that the concept is the same - it clouds focus on details and shifts away from comparisons. You completely missed the point if you think I was comparing smoking to computers.

Apple understands that most people don't care what makes up the inside of a product, which is why they tend to use older (but more reliable) parts. Consumers tend to gravitate toward products that 'look nicer,' and in this sense Apple doesn't experience as much competitive pressure as the rest of the PC market (which generally focuses on the "newest, best performing components" and such) precisely because of the logo/branding/packaging. That's what I'm getting at as far as Apple's influence.

Orangejello727 12-11-2012 08:05 PM

[QUOTE=jeg2315;3799079]The idea is that the concept is the same - it clouds focus on details and shifts away from comparisons. You completely missed the point if you think I was comparing smoking to computers.

Apple understands that most people don't care what makes up the inside of a product, which is why they tend to use older (but more reliable) parts. Consumers tend to gravitate toward products that 'look nicer,' and in this sense Apple doesn't experience as much competitive pressure as the rest of the PC market (which generally focuses on the "newest, best performing components" and such) precisely because of the logo/branding/packaging. That's what I'm getting at as far as Apple's influence.[/QUOTE]

Compare the newest macbook pro to the newest pc laptop and tell me if it lags technology?

While branding plays a role in consumer decisions, so does reliability and reputation. Maybe consumers choose apple and stick with apple because the consistently put out a solid product and back it with support.

Unlike HP and Dell, they dont put out 4 new versions of a laptop every year claiming to have something better in them whether the end user needs it or not!! That logo/branding is a staple of quality moreso than a lemming following. Another role that plays a factor is how a generic PC laptop gets discounted in the first few months of release vs and consistent non sale price of an apple product.

Some may believe that as a blind following, but others see that as support for a quality product that tends to sell without having to discount it to increase sales.

mgugs46 12-11-2012 08:09 PM

I would just like to add that the Hyundai Genesis coupe is pretty bad ass

jeg2315 12-11-2012 08:17 PM

[QUOTE=Orangejello727;3799155]Compare the newest macbook pro to the newest pc laptop and tell me if it lags technology?

While branding plays a role in consumer decisions, so does reliability and reputation. Maybe consumers choose apple and stick with apple because the consistently put out a solid product and back it with support.

Unlike HP and Dell, they dont put out 4 new versions of a laptop every year claiming to have something better in them whether the end user needs it or not!! That logo/branding is a staple of quality moreso than a lemming following. Another role that plays a factor is how a generic PC laptop gets discounted in the first few months of release vs and consistent non sale price of an apple product.

Some may believe that as a blind following, but others see that as support for a quality product that tends to sell without having to discount it to increase sales.[/QUOTE]

From what you said, do you honestly believe branding has nothing to do with reputation? Think about that for a second....

And on the other end, branding has absolutely nothing to do with "quality" in of itself. Simple concept, really.

I also outlined that Apple doesn't subscribe to the "newest and best" approach that the PC market does that drives constant releases. They have more control since they're not subject to the multitude of configurations on the PC market. Why would they constantly release a new product as such?