Blowout Cards Forums

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Off Topic

Off Topic This section may contain threads that are NSFW. This section is given a bit of leeway on some of the rules and so you may see some mild language and even some risqué images. Please no threads about race, religion, politics, or sexual orientation. Please no self promotion, sign up, or fundraising threads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2012, 09:51 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Question about 2-4 yr college

I am currently in a 2 year technical college, and this is my first year there. I am looking at transferring to university of South Carolina, which. Need to have 30 hours a year and atleast a 2.25 PGA (which i easily have).

I am definitely transferring after 2 years, but have been considering transferring after this year if i can get accepted. This is where i am torn. I can stay and work for another year and save up for the next year for apartment and such. But I also want to transfer to move out and a ton of my friends love it there.

Now what are the major things to look at while deciding to transfer aft 1 or 2 years and such? I know money is going to be the main thing for me. The tuition is 10,488 for in-state, and if i keep my grades up i have a scholarship that covers up to $2,500 per semester so half of the tuition.

I will be finding a job and paying for everything on my own. No help from parents or such.

Also selling drawings, send me a pm for any questions
Braveskid1025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 12:37 AM   #2 (permalink)
Tai

If you are transferring make sure all your prerequisites are finished for your particular major. There is no sense in trying to transfer before your junior year if you can take the same classes at your current 2-year especially if money will be an issue. There will be plenty to enjoy in your 2-years at U. of SC but you should be ready to jump into your upper-divison coursework as soon as you arrive rather than spend an additional year with a much higher tuition. If money is no object then I would say jump ship early but that doesn't seem to be the case. Either way, good luck with your studies
Old 12-12-2012, 12:44 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tai View Post
If you are transferring make sure all your prerequisites are finished for your particular major. There is no sense in trying to transfer before your junior year if you can take the same classes at your current 2-year especially if money will be an issue. There will be plenty to enjoy in your 2-years at U. of SC but you should be ready to jump into your upper-divison coursework as soon as you arrive rather than spend an additional year with a much higher tuition. If money is no object then I would say jump ship early but that doesn't seem to be the case. Either way, good luck with your studies
Thank you!
Right now im an undecided major. Just completing all my english courses and such that i can complete. Going to start my major once i transfer.

Old 12-12-2012, 12:48 AM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

Make sure everything credit you have will transfer and you won't need to "repeat" courses! I transferred after 1 year of CC to a 4 year and a TON of my credits didn't transfer so I basically had to retake some class. If I have the 2 year degree they would have transferred. No, I do not know why! I killed me though.
sdoug76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 12:49 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braveskid1025 View Post
Thank you!
Right now im an undecided major. Just completing all my english courses and such that i can complete. Going to start my major once i transfer.
Does SC require you to declare a major when you apply? It may differ by major, but if you are truly undecided I would just go with that as it gives flexibility obviously.
Old 12-12-2012, 12:55 AM   #6 (permalink)

Then you should knock out all the preliminaries before transferring. It's a great option to finish that last year where you're at currently and save up as much as you can. I wish I would have done that before I transferred.

Quote:
Thank you!

http://s141.photobucket.com/albums/r77/bucnastdizzl/
Whodatiz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 12:56 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdoug76 View Post
Make sure everything credit you have will transfer and you won't need to "repeat" courses! I transferred after 1 year of CC to a 4 year and a TON of my credits didn't transfer so I basically had to retake some class. If I have the 2 year degree they would have transferred. No, I do not know why! I killed me though.
Oh trust me, first thing i made sure of. They put me in i believe associate or arts? Maybe science cant remember. But it is for the students who are transferring to usc (main transfer since its only 15 minutes away). Than they will only give you courses that will transfer over

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeg2315 View Post
Does SC require you to declare a major when you apply? It may differ by major, but if you are truly undecided I would just go with that as it gives flexibility obviously.
I think you have to select one on the application, but it gives you a choice to select multiple options. Which i am going to do computer science (have to have 2.75 GPA or higher to transfer)

Old 12-12-2012, 12:57 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whodatiz View Post
Then you should knock out all the preliminaries before transferring. It's a great option to finish that last year where you're at currently and save up as much as you can. I wish I would have done that before I transferred.
Ah alright, I was hoping someone would hop into this who has done it to let me know what they thought.
So you find it smarter to stay another year and save up?

Old 12-12-2012, 01:00 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
I think you have to select one on the application, but it gives you a choice to select multiple options. Which i am going to do computer science (have to have 2.75 GPA or higher to transfer)
It may make a difference what "school" you apply to as well (liberal arts, engineering, business, etc.) as far as your options for a major later on. I'm not sure if it's the same at SC, but where I went I could only switch majors within the "school" I transferred to.
Old 12-12-2012, 01:03 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
It may make a difference what "school" you apply to as well (liberal arts, engineering, business, etc.) as far as your options for a major later on. I'm not sure if it's the same at SC, but where I went I could only switch majors within the "school" I transferred to.
Not sure what you mean?

Old 12-12-2012, 01:06 AM   #11 (permalink)

If money is an issue. Stay 2 years. I went to a 4 year college right out of high school. Waste of money the first two years regardless of friends. You're talking thousands of dollars of difference. Do your two years then transfer. Much better long-term option in my opinion.

I finished a year of college in HS (39 credits), so I was only in college for 3 years our of high school. But in reality, probably should have done one more year at the community college, then transferred. Having sat on both sides of the fence, as far as general courses, you do not get taught anything differently between the two at all.
Romans 1:16 #unashamed
Combined Feedbacks on Ebay+SCF=270+=100%(All Positive)

Last edited by PDawson21; 12-12-2012 at 01:09 AM.
PDawson21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 01:07 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Not sure what you mean?
Universities have 'schools' of business, engineering, education, etc. and the majors/programs under each school.

Where I transferred, I could only switch majors within the liberal arts 'school' if I wanted to. I would find out how SC does it, and if it's the same, you could see which options you have as far as switching down the road.
Old 12-12-2012, 01:12 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDawson21 View Post
If money is an issue. Stay 2 years. I went to a 4 year college right out of high school. Waste of money the first two years regardless of friends. You're talking thousands of dollars of difference. Do your two years then transfer. Much better long-term option in my opinion.

I finished a year of college in HS (39 credits), so I was only in college for 3 years our of high school. But in reality, probably should have done one more year at the community college, then transferred. Having sat on both sides of the fence, as far as general courses, you do not get taught anything differently between the two at all.
Alright thank you, feel like ive pretty much made my decision of staying

Quote:
Universities have 'schools' of business, engineering, education, etc. and the majors/programs under each school.

Where I transferred, I could only switch majors within the liberal arts 'school' if I wanted to. I would find out how SC does it, and if it's the same, you could see which options you have as far as switching down the road.
Ah alright, anything I'd want would all be under same category.
Architecture, engineering, or computer science. Which i plan to do computer science

Old 12-12-2012, 01:15 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Alright thank you, feel like ive pretty much made my decision of staying

Ah alright, anything I'd want would all be under same category.
Architecture, engineering, or computer science. Which i plan to do computer science
Where do you want to transfer to? Just wondering?
Romans 1:16 #unashamed
Combined Feedbacks on Ebay+SCF=270+=100%(All Positive)
PDawson21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 01:38 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDawson21 View Post
Where do you want to transfer to? Just wondering?
University of South Carolina