Blowout Cards Forums
2014 holiday shipping promo

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Off Topic

Off Topic This section may contain threads that are NSFW. This section is given a bit of leeway on some of the rules and so you may see some mild language and even some risqué images. Please no threads about race, religion, politics, or sexual orientation. Please no self promotion, sign up, or fundraising threads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2012, 07:58 AM   #1 (permalink)

Thumbs up Proud Of My Son

So my middle son who just turned 8 handed me his Christmas list Wednesday. Right on top of the list was "money to donate to homeless people".

I don't know that I've ever been much more proud. Just wanted to share. Thanks!
bigzig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:21 AM   #2 (permalink)

Wow, pretty cool of him, sounds like a stand up little lad which is prob a reflection of good parenting!

Hobby shop northwest of Pittsburgh, check us out at luckylarryssportscards.com and Lucky Larry's Sports Cards on Facebook! Twitter=luckylarrys1
hanes1111 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:31 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanes1111 View Post
Wow, pretty cool of him, sounds like a stand up little lad which is prob a reflection of good parenting!
Thanks. My wife and I definitely aren't perfect, but we try.

Also just realized I posted in the wrong forum. Oops.
Old 12-14-2012, 08:38 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanes1111 View Post
+1!

You are doing something right!
Old 12-14-2012, 08:55 AM   #5 (permalink)

does he collect cards/comics?
bjs852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 09:10 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjs852 View Post
does he collect cards/comics?
Not really. I've tried to get him onto cards a few times, but he'll look at them and then I'll find them scattered all over the floor. I've told him until he learned to take better care of them he wasn't going to get anymore. Unfortunately he didn't seem to care so they got taken away until he can/ wants to show he'll be responsible with them.
Old 12-14-2012, 09:45 AM   #7 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigzig View Post
Not really. I've tried to get him onto cards a few times, but he'll look at them and then I'll find them scattered all over the floor. I've told him until he learned to take better care of them he wasn't going to get anymore. Unfortunately he didn't seem to care so they got taken away until he can/ wants to show he'll be responsible with them.
First of all that is a very nice thing for your son to do!

In regards to the cards, let him play with them! I remember when I was little, money in cards had no meaning to me. I used to love "playing" with them. Making 5 player teams from basketball cards and thinking about who would win or having little tournaments from my made up teams. I suppose it is one thing if he is just throwing them around but if they are scattered because he is actually "playing" with them, I say let him play!

Once he starts to get older he will start to realize the value in them, just seeing what you do and how you handle them. Obviously you can keep any of the valuable ones away so they don't get ruined. You never know maybe he will never get into cards but maybe that will give him the "itch"
dthimesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 10:29 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dthimesch View Post

In regards to the cards, let him play with them! I remember when I was little, money in cards had no meaning to me. I used to love "playing" with them. Making 5 player teams from basketball cards and thinking about who would win or having little tournaments from my made up teams. I suppose it is one thing if he is just throwing them around but if they are scattered because he is actually "playing" with them, I say let him play!

Once he starts to get older he will start to realize the value in them, just seeing what you do and how you handle them. Obviously you can keep any of the valuable ones away so they don't get ruined. You never know maybe he will never get into cards but maybe that will give him the "itch"
I probably could've worded it better. I don't have an issue with him playing with them. It's the not picking up when he's done that's the issue. We've donated several toys to goodwill over the years for the same reason.

The boy honestly has a heart of gold when it comes to others, but taking care of his stuff is a different story. We just recently started an allowance system with both our boys (daughter isn't old enough yet) hoping that will help him understand and take care of his stuff better. Nothing else has seemed to work.
Old 12-14-2012, 11:22 AM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHeel View Post
+1!

You are doing something right!
+2

migraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 02:03 PM   #10 (permalink)

Awesome, that is a very selfless gesture on your son's part. Kudos to him!
Old 12-14-2012, 02:48 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dthimesch View Post

I kinda thought I was the only one, but I would look at their stats and compute who would win by looking at a metric. I wonder why I am a math teacher.

Check me out on Sport Lots.
http://www.sportlots.com/inven/invenbin/dealerpage.tpl?dealer=mkeil250
fungi2510 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 02:53 PM   #12 (permalink)

awesome your son is so selfish

Riddle: I do no wrong when I am called out I talk smack than run to a moderator when you hurt my feelings...who am I?
texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 03:03 PM   #13 (permalink)

That is very sweet of him!
Old 12-14-2012, 03:19 PM   #14 (permalink)

Number one thing on his list was cash???

What a selfish kid
zonacats8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 03:47 PM   #15 (permalink)

You should be very proud of him - I have a six year old and we did some donating already. The picking up thing is something he struggles with as well - just one of those things that we seem to constantly work on.
Old 12-15-2012, 01:45 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swipe79 View Post
You should be very proud of him - I have a six year old and we did some donating already. The picking up thing is something he struggles with as well - just one of those things that we seem to constantly work on.
Glad to know mines not the only one.

Thanks all for letting me brag.