Blowout Cards Forums
Football promo

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Off Topic

Off Topic This section may contain threads that are NSFW. This section is given a bit of leeway on some of the rules and so you may see some mild language and even some risqué images. Please no threads about race, religion, politics, or sexual orientation. Please no self promotion, sign up, or fundraising threads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2012, 01:52 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Proud Of My Daughter

I don't normally share a lot of personal stuff here on the forum, but sometimes you just have to share a good story, especially after such a terrible thing that happened today. So I am sure you read bigzig's thread about him being proud of his son wanting to be really generous and help out some less fortunate folks. When I read it, I thought it was really cool and that he had to feel so good knowing that he is raising a kid with a kind heart. Today, I got to feel the same thing with my daughter. We were at the mall and she had $20 from her grandma to spend on a Christmas gift for herself. While walking around, she spotted a Princess Peach backpack that she really liked for twenty bucks. I told her that it was probably a good idea to wait and not buy the backpack just yet in case she found something else she liked in another store. She agreed it was a good idea and we made our way to the Disney Store. In front of the Disney Store, there were a couple of Highway Patrol officers collecting toys for kids. When my daughter saw what they were doing and learned who they were collecting toys for, she told my wife and I that she wanted to spend her money to buy a toy for another kid. She picked out a really nice princess doll from the Disney Store that used up most of her cash, but she still wanted to get a toy for a boy. Of course, feeling really proud of her, my wife said we would give her the extra money she needed in order to buy another toy. So she gave up every cent she had at that moment to do something nice for a couple of strangers. It felt so dang good knowing that she has a heart and isn't so greedy like a lot of kids are during this time of the year. What was a extra little surprise for us is when the cashier in the store found out what my daughter was going to do with the toys, she gave us a bit of a discount on the purchase, which was very cool I think. Later on, we found the backpack she wanted to buy in another store, and I secretly went and got it for her to surprise her with it on Christmas. She definitely deserves it
ilovethelakings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 01:54 AM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via Skype™ to Strasburg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovethelakings View Post
I don't normally share a lot of personal stuff here on the forum, but sometimes you just have to share a good story, especially after such a terrible thing that happened today. So I am sure you read bigzig's thread about him being proud of his son wanting to be really generous and help out some less fortunate folks. When I read it, I thought it was really cool and that he had to feel so good knowing that he is raising a kid with a kind heart. Today, I got to feel the same thing with my daughter. We were at the mall and she had $20 from her grandma to spend on a Christmas gift for herself. While walking around, she spotted a Princess Peach backpack that she really liked for twenty bucks. I told her that it was probably a good idea to wait and not buy the backpack just yet in case she found something else she liked in another store. She agreed it was a good idea and we made our way to the Disney Store. In front of the Disney Store, there were a couple of Highway Patrol officers collecting toys for kids. When my daughter saw what they were doing and learned who they were collecting toys for, she told my wife and I that she wanted to spend her money to buy a toy for another kid. She picked out a really nice princess doll from the Disney Store that used up most of her cash, but she still wanted to get a toy for a boy. Of course, feeling really proud of her, my wife said we would give her the extra money she needed in order to buy another toy. So she gave up every cent she had at that moment to do something nice for a couple of strangers. It felt so dang good knowing that she has a heart and isn't so greedy like a lot of kids are during this time of the year. What was a extra little surprise for us is when the cashier in the store found out what my daughter was going to do with the toys, she gave us a bit of a discount on the purchase, which was very cool I think. Later on, we found the backpack she wanted to buy in another store, and I secretly went and got it for her to surprise her with it on Christmas. She definitely deserves it
Great story. Can't wait to have kids of my own, especially to share a happy moment like this
Sent from U.S Airways WiFi
Strasburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 01:55 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strasburg View Post
Great story. Can't wait to have kids of my own, especially to share a happy moment like this
I am a pretty lucky pop for sure. I think most kids are good at heart, and they just need to have that goodness nurtured.
Old 12-15-2012, 02:40 AM   #4 (permalink)

That's a great story! Thank you for sharing! This thread made my day. You're a lucky father to have a duaghter who is already helping the world. Hopefully I'll be able to share moments like this with my kids (not anytime soon lol).
AKHMERICA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 07:03 AM   #5 (permalink)

awesome story...its moments like these that we should treasure and remember during the times that they mess up...
Dacubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 07:29 AM   #6 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

You should be very proud. It's great that you bought her the back pack. She definitely deserves to have it paid forward. Things like this touch others hearts more than most people realize. Especially after the events of yesterday. What a great kid. Keep it up dad you and mom are doing a great job in raising this child from the sounds of it.

It makes me want to pick up something for her to send out for Christmas. A great way to explain pay it forward and how stories like this touch the hearts of people who read about this kind act on a message board. I am on the road all week next week and will most likely not have the time to get something out. If anyone wants to do so I would be happy to donate to someone closer to ilovethelakings that could get it there in time for Christmas.
RIP PAPAJIM
Sabrina Cortellessa
marino5084 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 08:23 AM   #7 (permalink)

Awesome story...its a great feeling when your child does something like this for others.It also makes me feel like as a parent im not totally screwing up lol...congrats to your daughter and yourself!!
mickdapug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 08:42 AM   #8 (permalink)

That is so sweet! Your daughter sounds like an amazing little girl!
Old 12-15-2012, 08:45 AM   #9 (permalink)
Temporarily Suspended

Yes! Very nice to read. Lovely to read something that is not just mudslinging from the start.
Old 12-15-2012, 10:45 AM   #10 (permalink)

This made me tear up
Ooosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 10:50 AM   #11 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ooosh View Post
This made me tear up
Me too.........
migraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 10:52 AM   #12 (permalink)

awesome story man
Old 12-15-2012, 11:01 AM   #13 (permalink)

Cool story bro! Seriously.

It's an awesome feeling when your kid does something good. Even more so when it's totally unexpected from the goodness of their heart!
bigzig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 12:36 PM   #14 (permalink)

Real nice! Im glad there are still kids out there who are generous, you don't see a lot of that now especially around this time.

Maybe this will get her to do things like that more often or at least when she can
ToppsCollector1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 12:43 PM   #15 (permalink)
Banned

Very very cool! Kudos to your daughter and your wife and you
sdoug76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 12:50 PM   #16 (permalink)

Damn you, LOL! This brought tears to my eyes. Thank you for sharing this caring story. You and your wife have raised a great child.
90sbaseballfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 12:50 PM   #17 (permalink)

God my kids r greedy and fight each other for toys

Riddle: I do no wrong when I am called out I talk smack than run to a moderator when you hurt my feelings...who am I?
texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 02:21 PM   #18 (permalink)

I've been working with kids for quite some time now and can tell you that your kid is definitely one-of-a-kind. There's not too many out there like your daughter, so take pride and keep doing exactly what you're doing - with people like her, maybe our world isn't doomed after all .

Always looking for Galaxy and soccer autos & patches!
KingTaco77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 02:44 PM   #19 (permalink)

Great story. What an amazing girl from such a weird dad. She must get it from her mom
Old 12-15-2012, 02:47 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodie27 View Post
Great story. What an amazing girl from such a weird dad. She must get it from her mom
You are probably right
Old 12-15-2012, 03:53 PM   #21 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodie27 View Post
migraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 03:58 PM   #22 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

What a great story. Thanks for sharing

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/jon-s-box-breaks-and-more
jlzinck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 05:34 PM   #23 (permalink)

FANTASTIC story about your daughter. That is really awesome!
Old 12-15-2012, 05:41 PM   #24 (permalink)
Approved Group Sub Host

man that is great!!!! you must be so proud!
Old 12-15-2012, 06:20 PM   #25 (permalink)

seems like you and your wife have done an excellent job raising her, you should be proud!
bkovach06 is offline   Reply With Quote