Blowout Cards Forums
Black Friday 2014

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Off Topic

Off Topic This section may contain threads that are NSFW. This section is given a bit of leeway on some of the rules and so you may see some mild language and even some risqué images. Please no threads about race, religion, politics, or sexual orientation. Please no self promotion, sign up, or fundraising threads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2012, 07:44 PM   #1 (permalink)
Banned

Default Help on an apartment situation

So I am moving to an apartment (subleasing) for the winter semester at school. The lease is $370 ($30 more for utilities) and from Jan-Aug. The semester is only Jan-April. The price isn't bad, the length of term is. Well it is a co-ed apartment and we had to turn in forms with our parents signatures and a notary for this (apparently being 21-23 isn't adult enough).

Anyhoo, they haven't turn in their papers yet and once they turn it in it'll take two-three weeks for the process. By that time school will have started up. I would hate to leave them hanging (they would each have to pay an extra $150 if I do) but I have found an apartment with a 4 month lease, 2 of them paid for and it is cheaper ($340 to $400 and 2 months to 8 months). Would it be wrong for me to back out and go to the better option? I would feel bad, but I am worried that I can't even move in when school starts and at the end of the day I am worried about my situation first.

Opinions welcomed.
nuccionino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 08:05 PM   #2 (permalink)

First thing I would do is try to buy myself out of the first lease, or sub lease or whatever you have. Offer a months rent to let you out. Then go were you want.

The decent thing to do is keep your word. Not always possible I know.
DaveTaplin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 08:07 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTaplin View Post
First thing I would do is try to buy myself out of the first lease, or sub lease or whatever you have. Offer a months rent to let you out. Then go were you want.

The decent thing to do is keep your word. Not always possible I know.
I have no problem keeping my word but every time I ask the girl who's lease I took, she tells me they are being lazy and haven't turned in the papers yet. As much as I will feel bad, if I can't even move in before school starts I will have to see if I can just cancel it. If they all turned in their papers today for example, I'd move in there no questions ask. But they all went home for break and last I checked two people haven't turned in the slips .
Old 12-15-2012, 08:16 PM   #4 (permalink)

Truthfully I would just back out. If you are being honest when you said "she tells me they are being lazy" then I would bail out for that main reason. This sounds like you are getting into an agreement with someone you don't want to be in one with.

This will not end well if you go through with it. I realize you want out for another reason but I would jump all over this reason.
DaveTaplin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 08:27 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTaplin View Post
Truthfully I would just back out. If you are being honest when you said "she tells me they are being lazy" then I would bail out for that main reason. This sounds like you are getting into an agreement with someone you don't want to be in one with.

This will not end well if you go through with it. I realize you want out for another reason but I would jump all over this reason.
I mean they seem like great people but that does scare me. They can't even turn in a piece of paper haha. I am leaning this way for sure. Thanks for the response.
Old 12-15-2012, 08:44 PM   #6 (permalink)

Tough call, no doubt.

I used to always say "think about them" but much more lately I've begun to think that people really only tend to "think about me". Because of that, I wonder if sometimes it is worth thinking as much about others instead of putting myself first.

In this case, I say put yourself first. Go with what is best for you.

You need to a) be in place for the start of school and b) you don't need to be there an extra 3-4 months.

Do you. Don't do them.
TrueNE_09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 10:32 PM   #7 (permalink)

Tell them straight out that if they don't file the paperwork that very day, that you will walk and go elsewhere. Don't beat around the bush and waste everyones time (your time).
XARZY is offline   Reply With Quote