Blowout Cards Forums
This Just In

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Off Topic

Off Topic This section may contain threads that are NSFW. This section is given a bit of leeway on some of the rules and so you may see some mild language and even some risqué images. Please no threads about race, religion, politics, or sexual orientation. Please no self promotion, sign up, or fundraising threads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2009, 11:12 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default XP Reload Attempt #4

Been at this since yesterday evening. Reloading XP. I got a brand new XP CD from eBay. Got all the way through the reload and learned a few things.

1. This CD was licensed to be sold in Turkey, so it didn't have Media Player or IE.

2. It was scratched, so I cloned it and am using the clone for reload #4

3. The default in Turkey is to have a very small partition because the computer guys there use portable hard drives much more frequently than here.

4. There is a lot of work to get around using Vista, but I'm sure in the end it will be worth it.

5. I have a really old hard drive here, at least five years old, so its going to be time to replace it very, very soon.
frozenntimesports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 06:39 PM   #2 (permalink)

KMD, did you get the serial number to register the XP? If not, somewhere down the road microsoft will be notifying you about the possible counterfeit software and will require you to submit a set of registration numbers or go thru them and purchase a proper registration set, if you don't, you get locked out of XP after 30 or 60 days. If you have a computer guy you use, give him a shout.

If you do get it loaded and all your drivers work, consider getting your current hard drive cloned so if something happens to the old one you can just swap out the new one. That has saved me one or two problems in the past. Hard drives are relatively cheap for their current size and speed.

Wouldn't want you to miss logging on and seeing what goes on here at BOC forums...
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 08:46 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB View Post
KMD, did you get the serial number to register the XP? If not, somewhere down the road microsoft will be notifying you about the possible counterfeit software and will require you to submit a set of registration numbers or go thru them and purchase a proper registration set, if you don't, you get locked out of XP after 30 or 60 days. If you have a computer guy you use, give him a shout.

If you do get it loaded and all your drivers work, consider getting your current hard drive cloned so if something happens to the old one you can just swap out the new one. That has saved me one or two problems in the past. Hard drives are relatively cheap for their current size and speed.

Wouldn't want you to miss logging on and seeing what goes on here at BOC forums...
Yeah it's registered.

I have a spare hard drive that backs up my data.
Old 10-08-2009, 02:39 AM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

you need to spread grape jam on your hard drive...make sure its seedless though. After applying a nice delicious coat of grape jam, I need you to put a small wheel of cheese into your cd rom tray, close the tray, and proceed to pour vinegar on your scalp. Lastly, you will proceed to stuff the a-drive with a decorative autumn zucchini.
biodole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 05:47 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by biodole View Post
you need to spread grape jam on your hard drive...make sure its seedless though. After applying a nice delicious coat of grape jam, I need you to put a small wheel of cheese into your cd rom tray, close the tray, and proceed to pour vinegar on your scalp. Lastly, you will proceed to stuff the a-drive with a decorative autumn zucchini.
Classy way to return.
Old 10-08-2009, 09:33 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by upsbroker06 View Post
Classy way to return.
I promise you that he thinks so.
Old 10-08-2009, 09:26 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by biodole View Post
What does that mean?
Old 10-08-2009, 09:58 PM   #8 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to pskell02

KD, is the program saying that the software might not be genuine? If so, shoot me a pm and I can help you out with that.
Old 10-08-2009, 10:32 PM   #9 (permalink)

I'm still using XP myself. I never volunteer to be a MS Guinea pig. Each time a new OS comes out I wait at least 2 years before even thinking about installing it. This gives them a 2 year grace period to iron out the bugs and issue service packs.
Old 10-08-2009, 10:43 PM   #10 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to pskell02

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndySportsCards View Post
I'm still using XP myself. I never volunteer to be a MS Guinea pig. Each time a new OS comes out I wait at least 2 years before even thinking about installing it. This gives them a 2 year grace period to iron out the bugs and issue service packs.
I was the same way. I ran XP up until about Feb. when my pc took a dump. I upgraded my work laptop to Windows 7 in March and have been running it ever since. I would say that it is the best OS I have ever used. They basically took all the best things from XP and Vista and streamlined them to run very well. I have found very few compatibility issues with this OS, and the ones that have problems are just a few obscure apps that I have been using since Windows 98 that I was able to replace. When the full version comes out, I would strongly recommend switching over, or at the very least, creating a second partition and running it part time until they can knock out any bugs (that I have yet to encounter).
Old 10-09-2009, 02:53 AM   #11 (permalink)

I did the same thing, this year i got vista from C CITY as they were going out, i figured for 25 bucks it was worth a shot, so got a second drive so i could dual boot and installed it ( it took 4 hours UGG) but with the first service pack on disk it worked out flawlessly, supported everything and worked well, got all my programs installed moved everything i wanted over then cloned it to my second drive so if the primary gets messed up flip boot sequence and copy back the other way it works great
mike barnes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 07:57 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pskell02 View Post
KD, is the program saying that the software might not be genuine? If so, shoot me a pm and I can help you out with that.
No message, the software is legit, the seller had 10,000+ positive feedback.