Blowout Cards Forums
Advertise On Forum

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Off Topic

Off Topic This section may contain threads that are NSFW. This section is given a bit of leeway on some of the rules and so you may see some mild language and even some risqué images. Please no threads about race, religion, politics, or sexual orientation. Please no self promotion, sign up, or fundraising threads.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2009, 12:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
Member
 
Zacky1053's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 22,567
Default SNL Obama Skit Has Liberals Fuming

The liberals of course are furious over this, but in case they haven't noticed, SNL is a "COMEDY SHOW!" No jokes about his family like you've seen elsewhere with Sarah Palin. Besides, with NBC's ratings' struggles, perhaps...nevermind.

Hulu - Saturday Night Live: Obama Address
Zacky1053 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 12:54 PM   #2 (permalink)
Member
 
Teambo1634's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,413
Default

very good. I think the reason there mad at it tho, is because its all true. He is a failure as a president.
__________________
11,22,2010 We lost a great one, RIP PAPAJIM
Collect Bo Jackson
Teambo1634 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 12:54 PM   #3 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: NorthEast Kansas
Posts: 12,176
Default

Loved it!
__________________
Check out my high-end cards for sale on COMC...username: mwheeler27
mwheeler27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 01:02 PM   #4 (permalink)
Member
 
37Jetson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: South Central PA
Posts: 10,116
Default

With the reaction and attention that the Obama skit received, you can be assured that SNL will continue to lampoon Obama. Political Humor is based in truth and I was laughing my butt off of SNL Obama going through the list of what he has not accomplished. You can bet that Jeffrey Immelt (CEO of General Electric/NBC) got a frantic call from a White House Staffer. Ha, Ha, Ha it is about time that Obama enters the real political world.
__________________
Concentrating on my personal collection. Please drop me a PM if you have any of the following for sale: Topps Football 1956-1968; Philadelphia Football 1964-1967, Autographs of Baseball/Football Vintage Stars and Hall of Famers (especially on card autos), 1990's Topps Chrome Refractor Inserts of all sports.
37Jetson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 01:16 PM   #5 (permalink)
Member
 
Zacky1053's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 22,567
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 37Jetson View Post
With the reaction and attention that the Obama skit received, you can be assured that SNL will continue to lampoon Obama. Political Humor is based in truth and I was laughing my butt off of SNL Obama going through the list of what he has not accomplished. You can bet that Jeffrey Immelt (CEO of General Electric/NBC) got a frantic call from a White House Staffer. Ha, Ha, Ha it is about time that Obama enters the real political world.
I'm gonna take a wild guess and say their (NBC's) news quarters will stay the way they are though? Seriously though. In the back of my mind, I was going to say that NBC is so desperate for a ratings boost that they would go to extreme lengths to do so with the Obama skits...like you said, it will be interesting to see what they do next.
Zacky1053 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 01:17 PM   #6 (permalink)
Member
 
freethrowtommy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Packerland, US
Posts: 19,303
Default

What news source did you find that said that liberals are fuming over this skit or are you just ASSUMING they are? I mean, seriously, it is comedy. I am a liberal... and I thought it was pretty funny.
freethrowtommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 01:23 PM   #7 (permalink)
Member
 
Zacky1053's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 22,567
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by freethrowtommy View Post
What news source did you find that said that liberals are fuming over this skit or are you just ASSUMING they are? I mean, seriously, it is comedy. I am a liberal... and I thought it was pretty funny.
CNN Fact Checks SNL Sketch Detailing Obama's Failures (VIDEO)
Zacky1053 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 01:26 PM   #8 (permalink)
Member
 
Andrew Jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 6,370
Default

I don't see any "fuming" or "furious" comments in that link.
Andrew Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 01:27 PM   #9 (permalink)
Member
 
Zacky1053's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 22,567
Default

Look at the comments that follow the story...Plus just the premise of the article proves that they're overreacting. Okay, maybe "fuming" is the wrong word, but I doubt they're just shaking it off.
Zacky1053 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 01:28 PM   #10 (permalink)
Member
 
freethrowtommy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Packerland, US
Posts: 19,303
Default

Just because they fact checked it doesn't mean that they are fuming over it...
freethrowtommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 01:29 PM   #11 (permalink)
Member
 
Zacky1053's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 22,567
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by freethrowtommy View Post
Just because they fact checked it doesn't mean that they are fuming over it...
Why take the time to create that article if you don't care?
Zacky1053 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 01:42 PM   #12 (permalink)
Member
 
freethrowtommy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Packerland, US
Posts: 19,303
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zacky1053 View Post
Why take the time to create that article if you don't care?
Once again, caring and fuming are two polar opposites... just because I care to fact check something doesn't mean that I am pissed off about it. There are reasons that things like that are done as not to spread misinformation... but I would hardly say anyone is mad about it.

I know that when I am mad, I like to listen to Glenn Beck or Rush for a good laugh
freethrowtommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 01:54 PM   #13 (permalink)
Member
 
Zacky1053's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 22,567
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by freethrowtommy View Post
Once again, caring and fuming are two polar opposites... just because I care to fact check something doesn't mean that I am pissed off about it. There are reasons that things like that are done as not to spread misinformation... but I would hardly say anyone is mad about it.

I know that when I am mad, I like to listen to Glenn Beck or Rush for a good laugh
Fact-checking a comedy sketch? Have they fact-checked any other SNL skits involving conservatives?
Zacky1053 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 01:57 PM   #14 (permalink)
Temporarily Suspended
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 6,442
Default

Wait wait wait, let me get this right here. We were allowed to pick on George Bush but we can't pick on our Lord and Savior Obama. Sure sounds like some hypocrites if you ask me!
wolffer12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 02:01 PM   #15 (permalink)
Member
 
Zacky1053's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 22,567
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolffer12 View Post
Wait wait wait, let me get this right here. We were allowed to pick on George Bush but we can't pick on our Lord and Savior Obama. Sure sounds like some hypocrites if you ask me!
Now the trick is getting a better Obama impressionist...
Zacky1053 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 02:04 PM   #16 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: ny
Posts: 1,637
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zacky1053 View Post
Now the trick is getting a better Obama impressionist...
I work with a guy that does a great impression, he just sits here all day and doesn't do anything and blames other people for his incompetence.
__________________
On Card Autos and Patch Cards
ricefan77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 02:27 PM   #17 (permalink)
Member
 
IndySportsCards's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Indy
Posts: 21,701
Default

That skit was tame compared to how they attack right wingers.
__________________
Indy CGC Gradings Master Thread - http://tinyurl.com/p45agbh
IndySportsCards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 02:32 PM   #18 (permalink)
Member
 
crr9381's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 1,361
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zacky1053 View Post
Fact-checking a comedy sketch? Have they fact-checked any other SNL skits involving conservatives?
People fact check everything, no matter what your political beliefs. The reason people do it is because of things like this topic where something is said that isnt close to the truth. IF you read the article that you posted as evidence they were fuming, you will see that the person who did the fact checking was from a non-partisan website who does fact checking for both sides. If you like Obama, great. If you dont like Obama, thats great as well. But atleast dont try to skew the truth that badly.
__________________
Currently looking for the following cards:
1992 score mickey mantle autograph(Already Got)
1994 upper deck mickey mantle autograph
1993 pinnacle Joe dimaggio autograph
2010 topps chipper Jones/ mickey mantle dual gu/50(Got)
crr9381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 02:34 PM   #19 (permalink)
Member
 
Zacky1053's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 22,567
Default

I'm aware of that, I'm just saying I didn't see any of this back when they did sketches with President Bush, Sarah Palin or any other conservative.
Zacky1053 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 02:38 PM   #20 (permalink)
Member
 
crr9381's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 1,361
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zacky1053 View Post
I'm aware of that, I'm just saying I didn't see any of this back when they did sketches with President Bush, Sarah Palin or any other conservative.
I personally dont know if they did or didnt. The question I would have is would you notice if they had done the fact checking on them? I personally dont have a problem with their fact checking on SNL skits, but I would be worried if people actually based their views based on comedy skits.
__________________
Currently looking for the following cards:
1992 score mickey mantle autograph(Already Got)
1994 upper deck mickey mantle autograph
1993 pinnacle Joe dimaggio autograph
2010 topps chipper Jones/ mickey mantle dual gu/50(Got)
crr9381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 02:40 PM   #21 (permalink)
Member
 
Zacky1053's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 22,567
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by crr9381 View Post
I personally dont know if they did or didnt. The question I would have is would you notice if they had done the fact checking on them? I personally dont have a problem with their fact checking on SNL skits, but I would be worried if people actually based their views based on comedy skits.
I agree with you, and that's my problem with the fact-checking. If it's comedy, why do the fact-checking at all? Comedy (SNL in this case) is not meant to put the truth out there...it's a night of sketches, parodies, etc. Just the premise of the article implies that SNL's intention was to 100% say Obama is doing nothing, as opposed to forming a joke around him.
Zacky1053 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 02:45 PM   #22 (permalink)
Member
 
fm8418's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: ohio
Posts: 6,190
Send a message via AIM to fm8418
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zacky1053 View Post
Look at the comments that follow the story...Plus just the premise of the article proves that they're overreacting. Okay, maybe "fuming" is the wrong word, but I doubt they're just shaking it off.
Yeah but those comments aren't credible at all. That's like saying each one of our comments would represent a whole group.
fm8418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 02:48 PM   #23 (permalink)
Member
 
Zacky1053's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 22,567
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fm8418 View Post
Yeah but those comments aren't credible at all. That's like saying each one of our comments would represent a whole group.
Yeah...like I said, the title of the thread was misconstructed.
Zacky1053 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 04:16 PM   #24 (permalink)
Member
 
freethrowtommy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Packerland, US
Posts: 19,303
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolffer12 View Post
Wait wait wait, let me get this right here. We were allowed to pick on George Bush but we can't pick on our Lord and Savior Obama. Sure sounds like some hypocrites if you ask me!
Who said that? Nobody said that! I even said the skit was funny... everyone should get ribbed once in a while.

They fact-checked... that is it. I am sure if you do a google search, they fact-checked other comedy as well...

Settle down...
freethrowtommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 04:41 PM   #25 (permalink)
Member
 
pac213up's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 4,756
Default

Another non story. Please just make one I hate Obama thread and keep all the posts in there. It's the same comments over and over and over.

Looking over the top 5 political websites this story got little to no mention and there is a reason.

And yes the skit was funny.
__________________
"Show me a good loser and I'll show you a loser." - Red Auerbach

Last edited by pac213up; 10-06-2009 at 05:05 PM.
pac213up is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:41 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO
Copyright © 2013, Blowout Cards Inc.