Blowout Cards Forums
Advertise On Forum

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Off Topic

Off Topic This section may contain threads that are NSFW. This section is given a bit of leeway on some of the rules and so you may see some mild language and even some risqué images. Please no threads about race, religion, politics, or sexual orientation. Please no self promotion, sign up, or fundraising threads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2009, 08:38 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default After 7 long years, I've decided I will be parting with this

Back in 2002, I opened two hobby packs of 2002 Bowman's Best Football. From the first pack, I pulled a Josh McCown 2-color patch/jersey numbered out of 199. From the second pack, I pulled a Joey Harrington football/2-color patch/jersey numbered out of 99 (bv $100 at the time). I was hooked. I decided that I wanted to collect one of each rookie jersey (all four versions-base, blue, red, & gold) for that set.

It is now seven years later, and I've managed to collect 80 of the jersey rookies, including some extras. While it was fun at one time to chase after cards to complete my project, I no longer have the desire to collect cards. I was going to keep my partial project as PC, perhaps returning to it at a later year, but I feel like I have moved on from the card collecting hobby for good. Plus, I could really use the extra money.

My question is, if I want to sell these and get the best price possible, should I sell these now (either on a trading site or on eBay), or should I wait until closer to the holidays? Also, what would be a fair asking price? It's really hard for me to part with them, but I really need money right now.

My collection:

leoliotigpan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 08:44 PM   #2 (permalink)

You probably waited about 5 years too long to move these. Most of those players are no longer relevant in the hobby so if you do sell it now you'll lose a lot of money from your original investment. Expect a huge loss from what you put into that lot.

ALWAYS BUYING '97 LEGENDS AUTOS OR H.O.F. AUTO NEEDS
BAMBAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 08:59 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAMBAM View Post
You probably waited about 5 years too long to move these. Most of those players are no longer relevant in the hobby so if you do sell it now you'll lose a lot of money from your original investment. Expect a huge loss from what you put into that lot.
I hate to say it, but I agree. Selling it as a lot is obviously the way to go. If anything, the cards look great...
Zacky1053 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 08:59 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
just what Bam said............
Old 10-07-2009, 09:29 PM   #5 (permalink)

That is a great looking collection though. It's too bad you need to get rid of it. Some of those patch pieces are awesome.
Old 10-07-2009, 09:50 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
I feel the same way. Initially, I was doing the project for keeps. I wasn't planning on selling it. Hindsight is 20/20, and I wish I would have sold it a while ago or never started the project.

I know I'll never make back what I put into it (doesn't work that way in this hobby), but I'm hoping to get a reasonable price for the collection (i.e. more than $20).

Thanks for the positive comments on the "niceness" of the collection. I know this gets said a lot, but "the scans don't do it justice".
Old 10-07-2009, 10:52 PM   #7 (permalink)

You will make your money on it if you wait long enough. Eventually even these cards will become vintage, and to have all these together in one place will be nice.

I know that doesn't help you right now though. Sorry.
Old 10-07-2009, 10:58 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwheeler27 View Post
You will make your money on it if you wait long enough. Eventually even these cards will become vintage, and to have all these together in one place will be nice.

I know that doesn't help you right now though. Sorry.
It's okay. It gave me a laugh.
Old 10-08-2009, 12:06 AM   #9 (permalink)

if it helps those cards do look very nice together!

"Thank the Lord for that burning bush, that big body Benz I was born to push..." - Just What IAm
nuggetsman28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 09:11 PM   #10 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to pearljam_cubbies

That Rohan Davey Reebok patch is sweet looking but its...uhh...rohan davey....lol sorry. I think I would try to frame them or something might add to the resale value.
All Topps Heritage Cubs team sets
pearljam_cubbies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 09:22 PM   #11 (permalink)

i would have killed for those shockeys back in "02"
From the Halls of Montezuma To the shores of Tripoli; We fight our country's battles In the air, on land, and sea; First to fight for right and freedom And to keep our honor clean; We are proud to claim the title Of United States Marine.
ronlabo is offline   Reply With Quote