Blowout Cards Forums

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Off Topic

Off Topic This section may contain threads that are NSFW. This section is given a bit of leeway on some of the rules and so you may see some mild language and even some risqué images. Please no threads about race, religion, politics, or sexual orientation. Please no self promotion, sign up, or fundraising threads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2012, 08:52 PM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndySportsCards View Post
Ditto, I'm a big Revolver fan. You can drop it in the mud, pick it up and it'll still shoot.
I don't understand this statement I hear all the time. Not singling you out, I hear it all the time, but how do people not take better care of their guns? I don't care if it will still fire after being dropped in the mud, why on earth would it be dropped in the mud in the first place? Why have something if you're not going to take care of it kind of thing,
mfisher27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:21 PM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfisher27 View Post
I don't understand this statement I hear all the time. Not singling you out, I hear it all the time, but how do people not take better care of their guns? I don't care if it will still fire after being dropped in the mud, why on earth would it be dropped in the mud in the first place? Why have something if you're not going to take care of it kind of thing,
I think they meant it as it's very reliable compared to semi-auto handguns which can jam/malfunction.

To OP
IMO do some research online (I used thehighroad.org's archives when I researched handguns) and find some you like, go to your local gun shop/Academy/Bass Pro Shop/pawn shop/gun show/etc and try handling the gun. Then you can either buy from them or online (shipped to a FFL holder and pay them a fee when picking it up). Some brands differ from people to people but most of them agree that Taurus (revolvers are ok) and Hi-Point and many defunct firearms brands are not worth buying (unless for temporary use, still, buyers' beware). Good luck, took me a few months before actually pulling the trigger and purchasing my first handgun.
eBay sellers beware, I will leave you a neutral if you don't at least include a toploader when shipping a card. Feel free to block me if you don't ship with a toploader or secured card holder. That is all.
High-End Bucket: http://s1135.photobucket.com/albums/m627/AvenOZ/High-End%20and%20HTG/
CP3toOKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:44 PM   #28 (permalink)

Ruger lcp .380, with lasermax lightweight, small, durable, 6+1 easily fits in your front pocket

In the holster

Outta holster

Mr. Irrelevant: The choice of Aaron Hernandez with the 180th pick gave ImNOTDanShakespeare the worst pick of the last round in terms of projected points.
DanShakespeare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 11:51 PM   #29 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artiodactyla View Post
Yeah there are four pieces total. Three of those are in the slide. I would go for a Springfield over a glock just because I have shot both and the glock didn't have any type of safety.
Glock has three safety features, one on the trigger and two on the inside (if I remember correctly). I was almost thinking of going for a springfield XD just because of the safety then after doing more research I learned about the safety features in the glock guns. (I am still tempted to go for the springfield but after learning the safety features on Glock it still has a little hope).
vc15jrich23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 12:48 AM   #30 (permalink)
Banned

If your just looking for a home and personal protection you dont plan on concealing than I would get "The Judge" by Taurus. It is a sweet gun and if somebody messes with you it will assure they wont again. Slugs or buckshot can fire from it. We have little pigeon shooting contests up at the cabin all the time.

If that doesnt sound like a good gun and you just want something cheap than go with a Hi-Point 9mm or .40 or .45. I think they run from like $150 and up brand new. I know my brother had one and it was messed up so they over nighted him a new one as soon as they got his sent to them.
BroncosFAN#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 01:11 AM   #31 (permalink)

If your just using it for protection on your property get a shotgun and some buckshot unless you feel like spending an inordinate amount of time on a range learing to be effective with a pistol.
Old 12-28-2012, 01:25 AM   #32 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vc15jrich23 View Post
Glock has three safety features, one on the trigger and two on the inside (if I remember correctly). I was almost thinking of going for a springfield XD just because of the safety then after doing more research I learned about the safety features in the glock guns. (I am still tempted to go for the springfield but after learning the safety features on Glock it still has a little hope).
Just checked mine again and verified with a friend, no safety on this model. The safety is between your ears.

XD has a grip safety and a trigger safety on mine.
Old 12-28-2012, 01:27 AM   #33 (permalink)

Get a .44 Mag Revolver.

** Looking for 1953 Bowman Color PSA 5 or better cards **
Whodey14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 05:30 AM   #34 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackvay View Post
not if you have them call it in. i got mine last week and walked out after 30 minutes. depend on the shop you go to as well(if they will call or not)
What? Every firearm purchase is called in to the ATF for a background check. It has absolutely nothing to do with where you purchased it from.
JoshHamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 06:07 AM   #35 (permalink)

My advice is don't go around shooting people in a movie theater or schools or shooting in the sky for no reason I hope my advice helps
AP4MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 07:28 AM   #36 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP4MVP View Post
My advice is don't go around shooting people in a movie theater or schools or shooting in the sky for no reason I hope my advice helps

Why would that even be brought up in this thread? Let people who are having a civilized discussion continue it please.

My advice to the OP. For a first gun used for protection I would go with a Springfield or Glock 9mm. No, it may not be as big and strong as a .45 but I promise it will get the job done if you know how to use it. With a 9mm you can do a lot more cost effective training and practicing. You need to shoot often to build muscle memory. That way if you are ever in a situation where the gun has to be used you will be less likely to waver in your time of need. If you buy a nice gun and just lay in on your bedside or in your glove box and never shoot it there is a good chance it will do nothing to help in your time of need. Look up the comparison numbers between law enforcement officers training shots and real world shots. I have seen fellow officers who shoot a 95+ every single day on the range but have pulled their weapons in a real situation only for the majority of their rounds to miss their target. Whatever gun you choose, learn it, and practice regularly. Good luck with your purchase!
Old 12-28-2012, 10:29 AM   #37 (permalink)

Some interesting advice, I was also looking into getting a firearm.
Old 12-28-2012, 11:16 AM   #38 (permalink)

This is what I'm buying once I get done blowing money on my car. For the impending zombie apocalypse and whatnot....

Haze28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 11:33 AM   #39 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haze28 View Post
This is what I'm buying once I get done blowing money on my car. For the impending zombie apocalypse and whatnot....

I also have a mossberg 500

Pic is of both 500 and my ruger .380

Mr. Irrelevant: The choice of Aaron Hernandez with the 180th pick gave ImNOTDanShakespeare the worst pick of the last round in terms of projected points.
DanShakespeare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 11:42 AM   #40 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfisher27 View Post
Meaning, while in a fire fight or survival mode, you don't always have access to items to clean your gun or unjam it, etc.. it's more rugged and reliable IMHO.
Old 12-28-2012, 01:21 PM   #41 (permalink)

Good luck on your purchase. I spent the last year looking for the perfect gun for me. After LOTS of research I realized the FN 5.7 is the way to go. I just picked one up as a present to myself. It is a great investment to buy as it is going to be on the ban list next month, and the price of it has doubled within the past six months, it will only to continue to go up further.

FN Five-seven - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also if you are picking between the Glock and the Springfield go with the Springfield.
Cisco69 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 01:49 PM   #42 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanShakespeare View Post
I also have a mossberg 500

Pic is of both 500 and my ruger .380

I like your style!
Haze28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 07:25 PM   #43 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by premium1981 View Post
Why would that even be brought up in this thread? Let people who are having a civilized discussion continue it please.

My advice to the OP. For a first gun used for protection I would go with a Springfield or Glock 9mm. No, it may not be as big and strong as a .45 but I promise it will get the job done if you know how to use it. With a 9mm you can do a lot more cost effective training and practicing. You need to shoot often to build muscle memory. That way if you are ever in a situation where the gun has to be used you will be less likely to waver in your time of need. If you buy a nice gun and just lay in on your bedside or in your glove box and never shoot it there is a good chance it will do nothing to help in your time of need. Look up the comparison numbers between law enforcement officers training shots and real world shots. I have seen fellow officers who shoot a 95+ every single day on the range but have pulled their weapons in a real situation only for the majority of their rounds to miss their target. Whatever gun you choose, learn it, and practice regularly. Good luck with your purchase!
I'm srry if I'm giving helpful advice after all wat occured I just want to make sure hes not thinking of doing that
AP4MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 07:49 PM   #44 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by texas View Post
Xd's are super easy to break down and clean as I stated above takes less than 5 seconds to have one broke down once you get the hang of it.......
This all day long.
babyfaceposey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 08:37 PM   #45 (permalink)

Another good quality semi auto would be the smith and Wesson m&p. Its available in many sizes and calibers although I recommend the .40. You may find it difficult to find some certain makes and models right now due to the buying frenzy that is happening. I would stay with glock s&w Springfield or Kimber. Good luck.
The Pickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 08:55 PM   #46 (permalink)

Don't get a gun -- dig out a moat and fill it with crocs. 200% more effective for self-protection.
Old 12-29-2012, 06:59 AM   #47 (permalink)

Quote:
I'm srry if I'm giving helpful advice after all wat occured I just want to make sure hes not thinking of doing that
Don't shoot up places is helpful advice? Seriously? I think that is called common sense and the only reason it would be said is to stir the pot. Two other points. If he was going to do that would he be posting it on here? And if that was his intention and he did post it on here do you think your post would make him change his mind?

Purchasing a firearm is obviously a topic that has shared interest by many members. Let the discussion happen without trying to throw a stick in the spokes.
Old 12-29-2012, 07:00 AM   #48 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pickle View Post
Another good quality semi auto would be the smith and Wesson m&p. Its available in many sizes and calibers although I recommend the .40. You may find it difficult to find some certain makes and models right now due to the buying frenzy that is happening. I would stay with glock s&w Springfield or Kimber. Good luck.

That is the biggest problem with trying to purchase anything right now. A ton of places are sold out of almost everything and if you do find something it is marked up. Actually a great time to sell if someone has something they want to part with.
Old 12-29-2012, 12:54 PM   #49 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Let me give you helpful advice for a couple reason's. One go learn how to spell correctly so you don't look like a dipsh!t and two don't talk like that on the site unless you want to get called a troll and moron all day long and lose a lot of business because people will not want to deal with you.

On a side note I heard that there was a store in Colorado that did 5,000 background checks in one day. Has anyone heard of that?
vc15jrich23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 12:59 PM   #50 (permalink)

9mm will be the best since the ammo is the cheapest out of 9mm, .40, and .45

I have a Browning Hi Power i'm looking to get rid of

Don't ask me how much I want to offer. Come with a price in mind. If I don't want it or think it's worth that, I will let you know.
Clarka3 is offline   Reply With Quote