Blowout Cards Forums
Retail Rummage

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Off Topic

Off Topic This section may contain threads that are NSFW. This section is given a bit of leeway on some of the rules and so you may see some mild language and even some risqué images. Please no threads about race, religion, politics, or sexual orientation. Please no self promotion, sign up, or fundraising threads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2013, 07:05 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Getting my first apartment soon...security?

So I am getting my first apartment soon and am slightly worried about keeping my cards/coins/computer/etc safe. I know I just said it, a safe..but what other things can I do to assure that my apt wont get broken into? Plus I don't want the landlord snooping around(I am a bit paranoid obviously)...should I switch out locks when I move in?
maryvillereb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 07:09 AM   #2 (permalink)

Switch out locks if landlord allows it.
Iw ould pay for a bank deposit box or get a good safe but BOLT it to the floor. What is the point of a safe if I can pick it up and jimmy it open when I am at home?
Old 01-01-2013, 09:41 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryvillereb View Post
So I am getting my first apartment soon and am slightly worried about keeping my cards/coins/computer/etc safe. I know I just said it, a safe..but what other things can I do to assure that my apt wont get broken into? Plus I don't want the landlord snooping around(I am a bit paranoid obviously)...should I switch out locks when I move in?
Over reaction u dont need none of that crap.
AP4MVP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:33 AM   #4 (permalink)

Renter's insurance? Can look into door alarms, door stoppers, safes, maybe getting a safe deposit box, etc, but I wouldn't worry too much. Been living in an apartment in a rough neighborhood all my life, simple door with locks and security stickers (without the actual alarm) have fared well enough.
"Blowoutcards is a messageboard filled with experts on Ping pong. These highly trained experts told us they spoke to the President of the United States Mr. Haiku and he claims the card is fake since he faked it himself. Our 2 sources (easter bunny and a unicorn with 2 legs) explained this hobby is filled with crooks." -Unknown
xbignick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:37 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryvillereb View Post
You are a bit paranoid...Are you going to lock up your computer every time you leave the apartment??? Seems a little extreme....

If you are really that paranoid, then you should buy a safe a bolt it to the floor, if that isn't allowed then get a safety deposit box for the cards you really want secure...however, then you don't have readily access to them

get a security camera, pretty cheap nowadays

Is it a bad neighborhood??? Mot sure if you can change the locks or not, some places require the landlord has access in case something happens and they need to get into the apartment.

You can always put little tells to see if anyone had entered your place...slips of paper in the door jamb, etc
Dacubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 01:08 PM   #6 (permalink)

a nice 200 pound rottweiler.
GoTribe!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:42 AM   #7 (permalink)

As bignick said RENTERS INSURANCE.
I sold insurance when I was younger and if you package your insurance like auto/rental/life it was cheaper then just plain auto insurance b/c your a "long term" member.
The norm was 50-100k which covered everything minus guns, jewlrey, and some coins (if you have a coin worth more then double spot they may require more coverage).
Not only if someone broke in and stole your stuff would you get cashed out but if your place flooded or had a fire that damaged or destroyed your items you would get a nice check.

Any security system will make noise and perhaps alert the cops your home has been broken into. The will show up 5-20min later to file a report.
GLTY
Old 01-02-2013, 01:03 AM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

Be sure to find out what the sub limits are on a renters policy for cards etc, etc.

They will have sub limits and they will most likely be very, very low.
sdoug76 is offline   Reply With Quote