Blowout Cards Forums
Summer Sale

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Off Topic

Off Topic This section may contain threads that are NSFW. This section is given a bit of leeway on some of the rules and so you may see some mild language and even some risqué images. Please no threads about race, religion, politics, or sexual orientation. Please no self promotion, sign up, or fundraising threads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2013, 12:50 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Movies rating/discussion thread

Not a lot of talk about movies here it seems, but it'd be cool to have a running thread of discussion and opinions on current movies. I'll start with two I recently saw. The Hobbit- haven't read the books, but really slow at times, half hour of previews didn't help. Parental Guidance- Cheesy humor, but a good ending, not a bad movie
Jeremiah 29:11: “For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.”
mnvikingstwins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 01:01 AM   #2 (permalink)

Sky fall was a great movie- actually stayed awake through the whole thing

Also selling drawings, send me a pm for any questions
Braveskid1025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 01:09 AM   #3 (permalink)

Argo - Suspense, humor, and an overall great story. Goodman and Arkin steal the show. Gotta give it an A overall.
ilovethelakings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 01:22 AM   #4 (permalink)

Les Miserables (don't ask): not that bad! I was pleasantly surprised, although I was still fairly dissapointed.
Old 01-02-2013, 01:27 AM   #5 (permalink)

I felt like The Hobbit followed the book very well. I was definitely happy about that. Heard Django Unchained is the best movie that has come out in a long time.

PC: Jemile Weeks
Sqeeshy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 02:06 AM   #6 (permalink)

I know it came out a few months ago at the theaters but I just saw it a couple of days ago on DVD, Looper. I would give it a solid B. I was expecting alot from it going on because I LOVE Time Travel films. The film is a bit contrived and the "twist" ending is easy to spot from a mile away, but I give the writers and filmaker credit for trying something new. They didn't quite pull it off, but they gave a valiant effort.
Old 01-02-2013, 02:11 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray27Ray52 View Post
I know it came out a few months ago at the theaters but I just saw it a couple of days ago on DVD, Looper. I would give it a solid B. I was expecting alot from it going on because I LOVE Time Travel films. The film is a bit contrived and the "twist" ending is easy to spot from a mile away, but I give the writers and filmaker credit for trying something new. They didn't quite pull it off, but they gave a valiant effort.
Interesting perspective, not one shared by many people. I really didn't look at it as a time travel movie, but that may be because I consider time travel films to be crappy adventure movies (i.e. Back to the Future).

Yes, the twist at the end was incredibly predictable, but I thought the movie was very good. Maybe you went in with expectations too high. I went in expecting a typical 21st century Willis film, trying to relive his heyday, but the movie was so much more than that.
Old 01-02-2013, 02:37 AM   #8 (permalink)

I just saw the movie preview for "Mama" looks extremely scary as hell. Going to watch it in theater the day it comes out!

Mr. Irrelevant: The choice of Aaron Hernandez with the 180th pick gave ImNOTDanShakespeare the worst pick of the last round in terms of projected points.
DanShakespeare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 03:39 AM   #9 (permalink)

We saw Django last night was an awesome movie. I think Tarantino movies are getting better each time he puts something out. I think the story being about the terrible times of slavery but still having good characters involved made it great. And I like revenge type movies. I would echo that it was one of the better movies I've seen in a while.
Old 01-02-2013, 03:40 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoJays View Post
Interesting perspective, not one shared by many people. I really didn't look at it as a time travel movie, but that may be because I consider time travel films to be crappy adventure movies (i.e. Back to the Future).

Yes, the twist at the end was incredibly predictable, but I thought the movie was very good. Maybe you went in with expectations too high. I went in expecting a typical 21st century Willis film, trying to relive his heyday, but the movie was so much more than that.
I agree completely that I went into it expecting too much. I was told by several people that it was a fascinating change of pace from the usual dreck that Hollywood churns out these days. I loved the premise of the film, I just somewhat fault the execution.

Good points- 1.The use of makeup to make Joseph Gordon Levitt appear to be a younger Bruce Willis was spot on. JGL's mannerisms were uncanny to Willis as well. You can tell he spent a great deal of time working on that and I always appreciate an actor putting forth a effort.
2. A unique script that tried to put a spin on the genre. The script isn't all that bad, it was just the overall execution that left me wanting more.
3. Emily Blunts performance- Fantastic. Multifaceted role that required frequent changing emotions. She was pitch perfect in this film.

Negative Points- Warning THERE BE SPOILERS!!!!!!!!

1. Ending was far too obvious. For a film that tried so hard to be groundbreaking, I felt that JGL shooting himself to prevent the death of Cid was far too contrived. It wasn't shocking at all, it was common sense.
2. Piper Perabo's characters child turns out to be one of the 3 children that was born on the day that the Rainmaker was born. A plot development that was totally unecessary. Her character was essentially a throw away anyhow. She was just time filler.
3. Too much time spent on Kid Blue with no payoff. He wanted to be somebody in the worst way. But why? No reasoning given and just an excuse to have a bumbling baffoon character.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:38 AM   #11 (permalink)
Administrator

Hobbit- C+ : In a blatant cash grab move, a book that could have been easily made into a single movie, was instead stretched across 3. This resulted in massive amounts of padding, slow pace, and making up stuff that was never in the book giving several events a disjointed feel.
I also recommend skipping the 3D and HFR versions, stick to the plain Jane 2D.

Skyfall- A: One of the best movies of the year, and possibly the best Bond of all time. Expect solid action, breathtaking cinematography, and a very down to earth no nonsense action movie.

Django Unchained- A-: Very Quentin Tarantino film, Its basically Inglrious Bastards except southern plantation owners instead of Nazis. Expect over the top violence, scenes that drag on too long (as is his style) and lots of 80's grind-house/blaxploitation references.

Argo- A: A fantastically interesting story and genuinely gripping thriller that never gets dull, and keep the action moving at a good pace. Good contender for best fllm of the year.

Lincoln- N/A: didn't see it, but people are surprised that it has to do with a lot less war then the previews let on.

Looper- B+: A solid action movie, I think its a little over-rated because people want to give it props for originality, which can be very hard to come by in Hollywood. Still a great movie and a recommended watch, do expect a little less violence and sc-fi, and a little more farmhouse and talking then the trailer lets on.

Master- C: Maybe I didn't get it, but honestly I did not care about any of the characters, and kept waiting for the story to start. Decent acting though. Will probably win a bunch of oscars.

Life of Pie- B: Incredibly fun to watch, a true visual masterpiece with a better shipwreck scene than the titanic. A enjoyable yet shallow story with little depth to it. Good film to watch in a theater, preferably IMAX, but its also skippable.

Wreck-It-Ralph-B+: Fun to watch, especially if you like video game culture, parts can also be rather funny, but its not quite on Pixar's level, as much as it strives to be. Also spends too much time in the candy world, and the lesson/moral is well told already (not that's its bad)
blowoutcards3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:28 AM   #12 (permalink)

John Dies at the End is Awesome.
Old 01-02-2013, 10:29 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanShakespeare View Post
I just saw the movie preview for "Mama" looks extremely scary as hell. Going to watch it in theater the day it comes out!
It looks so creepy that I won't even watch it.
Old 01-02-2013, 11:00 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoJays View Post
Les Miserables (don't ask): not that bad! I was pleasantly surprised, although I was still fairly dissapointed.

:jedi::jedi::jedi:
natbornkiller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:13 PM   #15 (permalink)

Anyone else seen Jack Reacher? Personally I liked it alot
ajscards101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:15 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray27Ray52 View Post
I agree completely that I went into it expecting too much. I was told by several people that it was a fascinating change of pace from the usual dreck that Hollywood churns out these days. I loved the premise of the film, I just somewhat fault the execution.

Good points- 1.The use of makeup to make Joseph Gordon Levitt appear to be a younger Bruce Willis was spot on. JGL's mannerisms were uncanny to Willis as well. You can tell he spent a great deal of time working on that and I always appreciate an actor putting forth a effort.
2. A unique script that tried to put a spin on the genre. The script isn't all that bad, it was just the overall execution that left me wanting more.
3. Emily Blunts performance- Fantastic. Multifaceted role that required frequent changing emotions. She was pitch perfect in this film.

Negative Points- Warning THERE BE SPOILERS!!!!!!!!

1. Ending was far too obvious. For a film that tried so hard to be groundbreaking, I felt that JGL shooting himself to prevent the death of Cid was far too contrived. It wasn't shocking at all, it was common sense.
2. Piper Perabo's characters child turns out to be one of the 3 children that was born on the day that the Rainmaker was born. A plot development that was totally unecessary. Her character was essentially a throw away anyhow. She was just time filler.
3. Too much time spent on Kid Blue with no payoff. He wanted to be somebody in the worst way. But why? No reasoning given and just an excuse to have a bumbling baffoon character.
I agree on all of them. I really wanted to see it with the great reviews, movie started out strong, but was a little disappointed with the whole search for Rainmaker and the ending
Jeremiah 29:11: “For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.”
mnvikingstwins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 01:20 PM   #17 (permalink)

Jack Reacher was a pretty solid flick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajscards101 View Post
Anyone else seen Jack Reacher? Personally I liked it alot

http://s141.photobucket.com/albums/r77/bucnastdizzl/
Whodatiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 01:24 PM   #18 (permalink)

Zero Dark Thirty was great.
"He went from sacking quarterbacks to tackling crime" - NFL Superpro #1
http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/comicbookjunkie/
LBSB333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 01:25 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBSB333 View Post
Zero Dark Thirty was great.
Glad to hear that. Want to see it next.
Old 01-02-2013, 05:01 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blowoutcards3 View Post
Hobbit- C+ : In a blatant cash grab move, a book that could have been easily made into a single movie, was instead stretched across 3. This resulted in massive amounts of padding, slow pace, and making up stuff that was never in the book giving several events a disjointed feel.
I also recommend skipping the 3D and HFR versions, stick to the plain Jane 2D.

Skyfall- A: One of the best movies of the year, and possibly the best Bond of all time. Expect solid action, breathtaking cinematography, and a very down to earth no nonsense action movie.

Django Unchained- A-: Very Quentin Tarantino film, Its basically Inglrious Bastards except southern plantation owners instead of Nazis. Expect over the top violence, scenes that drag on too long (as is his style) and lots of 80's grind-house/blaxploitation references.

Argo- A: A fantastically interesting story and genuinely gripping thriller that never gets dull, and keep the action moving at a good pace. Good contender for best fllm of the year.

Lincoln- N/A: didn't see it, but people are surprised that it has to do with a lot less war then the previews let on.

Looper- B+: A solid action movie, I think its a little over-rated because people want to give it props for originality, which can be very hard to come by in Hollywood. Still a great movie and a recommended watch, do expect a little less violence and sc-fi, and a little more farmhouse and talking then the trailer lets on.

Master- C: Maybe I didn't get it, but honestly I did not care about any of the characters, and kept waiting for the story to start. Decent acting though. Will probably win a bunch of oscars.

Life of Pie- B: Incredibly fun to watch, a true visual masterpiece with a better shipwreck scene than the titanic. A enjoyable yet shallow story with little depth to it. Good film to watch in a theater, preferably IMAX, but its also skippable.

Wreck-It-Ralph-B+: Fun to watch, especially if you like video game culture, parts can also be rather funny, but its not quite on Pixar's level, as much as it strives to be. Also spends too much time in the candy world, and the lesson/moral is well told already (not that's its bad)
Hot damn you spend a lot of time in the theater.
mmbtvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 05:59 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmbtvs View Post
And those are just the films he has watched in the "regular" movie theater.
ilovethelakings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 06:10 PM   #22 (permalink)

Looper finally was on demand so I watched that last night. Really liked it but it could have been better. Overall very good. Grade B

Saw Savages over the holiday break as well and thought it was excellent. Has a very good cast and its an interesting storyline. Grade A-
bigbensbff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:04 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbensbff View Post
Looper finally was on demand so I watched that last night. Really liked it but it could have been better. Overall very good. Grade B

Saw Savages over the holiday break as well and thought it was excellent. Has a very good cast and its an interesting storyline. Grade A-
Saw savages a couple weeks ago. Pretty cool. It definitely was original.
Old 01-02-2013, 10:05 PM   #24 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to fm8418

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmbtvs View Post
thats like 9 movies over a few months. Seeing a movie in theaters is much more enjoyable than at home watching a pirated version
fm8418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 02:18 AM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fm8418 View Post
thats like 9 movies over a few months. Seeing a movie in theaters is much more enjoyable than at home watching a pirated version
Not for me. Cheaper and I can pause it to pee.
GoTribe!!! is online now   Reply With Quote