Blowout Cards Forums
Email Signup

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Off Topic

Off Topic This section may contain threads that are NSFW. This section is given a bit of leeway on some of the rules and so you may see some mild language and even some risqué images. Please no threads about race, religion, politics, or sexual orientation. Please no self promotion, sign up, or fundraising threads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2013, 08:46 PM   #1 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to deboesports
Default gift cards on ebay....good/bad??

has anyone ever bought gift cards on ebay before? and do you have any protection if the card is empty??
Old 01-02-2013, 09:23 PM   #2 (permalink)

wouldn't take the chance....not as great a deal, but probably safer buying off of one of those gift card exchanges
Dacubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:02 PM   #3 (permalink)

The minor discounts you can get on ebay are definitely not worth the risk imo. I walked into CVS the other day and they have an entire end-cap with 100 gift cards that you can buy. Definitely the safer option with a great selection.
cjsayde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:05 PM   #4 (permalink)

I recetly bought 3 subway giftcards on ebay and had no problems. Just make sure they have good feedback and you should be fine
Old 01-02-2013, 10:06 PM   #5 (permalink)

I've purchased before off of eBay - just watch out for the people advertising shipment dates weeks later. Only buy from people with the card in hand and ready to ship. They are advertising a card with a balance - just check the balance when it arrives and you should be fine.

20% off Auto Accept on COMC Always On!
If you ask for a price/make an offer - please have the courtesy to respond.
Swipe79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:18 PM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

Never bought, but sold gift cards on eBay before (why people will pay $49 for a $50 gc is beyond me).

Just as risky to the seller IMO.
sdoug76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:44 PM   #7 (permalink)

At first I thought it would be a very risky thing to buy, but after thinking about it, as long as they send with a delivery confirmation, I think it is actually very safe.

As long as there is delivery confirmation so it's known when the buyer receives it, there is no way the buyer could get screwed if they need to file a claim.

When you check the balance it would tell you the date any purchases were made, so it would be easy to see if it happened before or after the buyer receives the card
zonacats8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:44 AM   #8 (permalink)
BlowoutTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdoug76 View Post
Never bought, but sold gift cards on eBay before (why people will pay $49 for a $50 gc is beyond me).

Just as risky to the seller IMO.
They are people who are spending that money anyway.

I will sell a home depot card for over 90%, right?

But a contractor is spending that money at home depot anyway. So here he saves a few %, plus he gets the 1 or 2% back from his credit card. Plus he gets eBay bucks. Plus any referral programs that may be running.

So, in the end they may save as much as 15% (and in some cases as much as 25%+). That is essentially free $ and they can do that for thousands worth each month.

For only a few moments "work," they can make a couple hundred a month all year long.

Selling cards on eBay makes me nervous, but so far I have had no trouble at all. I do it rarely and try to use BIN so that I can choose my buyer.
Old 01-03-2013, 02:40 AM   #9 (permalink)

Ive had good luck buying them on there.. ALSO.. Keep in mind alot of people will cash in their eBay bucks to buy gift cards if there is nothing they want at the time.
cruiserdaddy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 05:47 AM   #10 (permalink)

I was thinking about selling an Amazon gift card, but nervous about the whole paying more than card price thing. I realize people get a percent back, may have money back from elsewhere, and prefer a gift card if they're international but there seems to be a lot of fraud involved.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:53 AM   #11 (permalink)

A lot of the merchandise credit cards that are for sale on ebay are essentially "stolen". And I don't mean the cards are stolen. I mean that people steal merchandise, then return it for store credit and then sell the store credits for money.
mmbtvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:27 AM   #12 (permalink)

I have bought 100 or so from ebay with no issue. Only problem I ever ran into is just going through paypal. Paypal will not cover you on gift cards no matter what. So if anyone asks you to go off ebay and just go through paypal, DON'T DO IT, or you could be out of some money.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:00 PM   #13 (permalink)
Banned

I have bought a couple and never had a problem. I wouldn't mind stocking up on target,amazon, barnes and noble gift cards. One thing I do though if it seems to good to be true is I will email a seller and just ask a couple questions. If they write an email out in a professional manner with correct spelling, punc ect I will most likely take a chance, if I get stuff back like "Hey Dawgz, you bid on the cardzzzzzzzzzz I shep nect daiy", I won't bid.
vc15jrich23 is offline   Reply With Quote