Blowout Cards Forums
Black Friday 2014

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Off Topic

Off Topic This section may contain threads that are NSFW. This section is given a bit of leeway on some of the rules and so you may see some mild language and even some risqué images. Please no threads about race, religion, politics, or sexual orientation. Please no self promotion, sign up, or fundraising threads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2013, 02:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

Default Need a little help from some horse racing fans

I have two old horse racing forms. They are single sheets of paper, roughly 8x10 in size. They are around 100 years old and I got them from my grandparents around 20 years ago. They do not say what track they are from, just a list of various races and the horses in the races. I wanted to try and find what track they are from and see if any of the horses were any good. I have been doing on-line searches with no luck. Is there someplace I can go to try and find that information? I am guessing they are from a track in the Northeast since my family is from the New Jersey/Philadelphia area.

When I get home tonight I will post pictures.
Old 01-15-2013, 05:59 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Ya never know...

Good luck with the research. I once bought a horse winning circle photo, the type you see on restaurant walls. I just thought it was cool for the 10 bucks I spent.
Fifteen or so years later I took it out of the closet when I heard about a movie coming out. The horse in the photo was Sea Biscuit and I sold it for $250. on eBay.

I hope you find an equally famous horse listed.

Vinny
Guitars, fishing, and trading cards, safer than a lot of other habits. If I post a pic of a player, I took it. I may not be the oldest member here but I paid $8. an auto and shook Joe DiMaggio's hand at the Armenian Church in NYC once.
VinnyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:52 PM   #3 (permalink)

If you could post some pics of it, I would love to see if I can help
kgcom21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:02 AM   #4 (permalink)

Default scans

Here you go.

Old 01-16-2013, 02:27 AM   #5 (permalink)

looks like harness racing , trotters/pacers are harness racing horses. dont think there were many really popular harness racing horses as its not very popular. most of the really famous race horses are thoroughbreds. pretty sure 1912 was when harness racing was just starting , so atleast its some history lol. i remember the largest payout in horse racing was a harness race in 1912 , i think about 4 people layed down 2$ to win ona horse that was 941 to 1. adn it ended up winning and paying put $1,885 for the 2$ investment. thats about all i know about harness racing history lol. more of a thoroughbred player lol

Last edited by mnava18; 01-16-2013 at 02:41 AM.
mnava18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:25 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnava18 View Post
looks like harness racing , trotters/pacers are harness racing horses. dont think there were many really popular harness racing horses as its not very popular. most of the really famous race horses are thoroughbreds. pretty sure 1912 was when harness racing was just starting , so atleast its some history lol. i remember the largest payout in horse racing was a harness race in 1912 , i think about 4 people layed down 2$ to win ona horse that was 941 to 1. adn it ended up winning and paying put $1,885 for the 2$ investment. thats about all i know about harness racing history lol. more of a thoroughbred player lol
Thanks for a lead in the right direction. I have sent out a few messages to various harness racing websites and a few tracks that were around 100 years ago. If I get an answer I will post it.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:47 AM   #7 (permalink)

Small update. After talking with two different people it appears that these forms were from some fairground racing. Even 100 years ago the purses were much higher at tracks. There were a few weekly races at fairgrounds near me back then. I was told it is going to be very tough to find out where exactly but it is most likely one of three places (Millville, Cowtown and I forget the third).
Old 01-23-2013, 02:37 PM   #8 (permalink)

$100 on centipede ... Comon centipede ....
pickle86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 02:44 PM   #9 (permalink)
XL5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifish73 View Post
Small update. After talking with two different people it appears that these forms were from some fairground racing. Even 100 years ago the purses were much higher at tracks. There were a few weekly races at fairgrounds near me back then. I was told it is going to be very tough to find out where exactly but it is most likely one of three places (Millville, Cowtown and I forget the third).
You may have better luck approaching it from the Fair angle. Either find the rest of the pages from that book or research fairs in September, 2012 via local newspapers. For example:

MT. KISCO SHOW A SUCCESS. - Large Crowd Attends Last Day of Westchester County Fair. - View Article - NYTimes.com

That lists a bunch of harness winners. Not sure if that's the one but similar articles might get you what you need.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:24 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickle86 View Post
$100 on centipede ... Comon centipede ....
Still the best racing horse name ever:
Nicnac is offline   Reply With Quote