Blowout Cards Forums

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Off Topic

Off Topic This section may contain threads that are NSFW. This section is given a bit of leeway on some of the rules and so you may see some mild language and even some risqué images. Please no threads about race, religion, politics, or sexual orientation. Please no self promotion, sign up, or fundraising threads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2013, 08:03 AM   #26 (permalink)

I'd like to see a box broken online before I buy any.
Ooosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:12 AM   #27 (permalink)
Temporarily Suspended

Too expensive these days!

I don't support the idea of children selling. Many compllain about slave labor and this is nothing more than abuse of power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copeskey45 View Post
Have you thought about asking your coworkers if they would like to buy some?
Soliciting at work is a bad idea. Co-workers feel pressured and it causes office friction. When the seller is a superior it causes even more problems, possibly even legal.

Last edited by fullmetal; 01-17-2013 at 08:14 AM.
fullmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:59 AM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP3toOKC View Post
Are there prizes inside?
Angel Pagan autos randomly inserted.
griffan15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:11 AM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ooosh View Post
I'd like to see a box broken online before I buy any.
Ooosh........this made my day
Old 01-17-2013, 09:12 AM   #30 (permalink)

I've heard this is a very serious business. Girls around here (mainly outside of Boston I mean, from what I've been told by colleagues who have children that are girl scouts) set up shot outside of supermarkets, major shopping outlets, etc, in order to get the most foot traffic. At $4 a box, that isn't a terrible price, but 250 sure still seems like quite a few.

The folks around here in my office bring in their daughter's sell sheets and literally walk around from person to person, everybody pretty much buys at least something. That makes a huge difference I'd think.

415 is yours, homie.
TrueNE_09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:13 AM   #31 (permalink)

I respectfully disagree. My response above mentions this, and the folks here do it, and I don't think it causes any friction. Everybody is a sucker for at least some flavor, and if multiple people are selling for their girls then buy one box from each person (assuming it isn't like 10 people!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmetal View Post
Too expensive these days!

I don't support the idea of children selling. Many compllain about slave labor and this is nothing more than abuse of power.

Soliciting at work is a bad idea. Co-workers feel pressured and it causes office friction. When the seller is a superior it causes even more problems, possibly even legal.

415 is yours, homie.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:19 AM   #32 (permalink)
Temporarily Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueNE_09 View Post
I respectfully disagree. My response above mentions this, and the folks here do it, and I don't think it causes any friction. Everybody is a sucker for at least some flavor, and if multiple people are selling for their girls then buy one box from each person (assuming it isn't like 10 people!).

Then the boy scouts show up with their $15 popcorn, then its a school raffle and then chocolate bars.

I would steer clear of doing this on the job. Could also get one fired.

It was once common place, but the social ramifications are no longer taboo to discuss and the solicitation is frowned upon.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:21 AM   #33 (permalink)

GS cookies > BS popcorn/candy bars allll day.

Get outta here, boy scouts! I am still snacking on my girl scout cookies

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmetal View Post
Then the boy scouts show up with their $15 popcorn, then its a school raffle and then chocolate bars.

I would steer clear of doing this on the job. Could also get one fired.

It was once common place, but the social ramifications are no longer taboo to discuss and the solicitation is frowned upon.

415 is yours, homie.
Old 01-17-2013, 11:19 AM   #34 (permalink)

Am I the only one here that likes the Caramel Delights?!?!? Coconut, chocolate, and caramel...OMMFG!
Old 01-17-2013, 11:23 AM   #35 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tajikey View Post
Am I the only one here that likes the Caramel Delights?!?!? Coconut, chocolate, and caramel...OMMFG!
one of my faves.

here's the order:

Caramel Delights
Those chocolate covered cookies with peanut butter (forgot the name)
Thin Mints that have been in the freezer for a long time.

as for selling at work, sure, some of your co-workers might feel pressured, so make sure you do your best to make it a non-pressure situation. "My daughter is selling girlscout cookies. let me know if you want any" in an email or a posted sign in the correct place is perfect.

plus, if you have co-workers like me, I'll buy a box despite having a cousin that still sells them just to support the kid.

can't have too many girl scout cookies.

Don't ask me how much I want to offer. Come with a price in mind. If I don't want it or think it's worth that, I will let you know.
Clarka3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:31 AM   #36 (permalink)

i would set up in front of a wal-mart. i have seen it done and if done on the right day you'd be there 1-2 hours and completely sell out. i know because i went to a wal-mart as this troop was setting up. they had more than a DOZEN CASES of GS cookies. i was inside for an hour, maybe less and by the time i had checked out they were all out of everything but Thin Mints. I hate thin mints, to be honest, but i got 2 boxes (fiance loves them) for $8 and also donated an extra $2 to the Troop.
VWBUS1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:44 AM   #37 (permalink)

I suggest you take a more "aggressive" approach

(Disclaimer: I'm a straight male, not a pedophile, and I do not find the ponies sexually attractive.)
AKHMERICA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:46 AM   #38 (permalink)

Go to Boomos house, he'll prolly buy all 250.
Thommy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:44 PM   #39 (permalink)

Psshh. Gs coomies are easy! They sell themselves. You should try selling $18 boxes of popcorn for 2 cub scouts.

I assume it is set up similar to cub scouts. The goal is usually set around the final sales tally for last year + a 10% or so increase. I know for our scouts if we beat last years sales by even $1 (for the whole pack) then we received an extra3% cash for our local pack.

One of the guys I work with brings in his order form every year and just sets it in the break room. If you want cookies, you sign it. If you don't, you ignore it. There's a big difference between letting people know they are available and harassing them to buy some.

Before setting up shop at your local wal-mart you need to 1. Check with your troop leader to see if any dates have been scheduled where your daughter can join. 2. Get permission ahead of time from the store to set up. Don't expect to go to your big chain stores and just set up a table. Most have rules and specifications on where you can set your table and for how long.

With the cub scouts we have "show and sells" where a leader has already prearranged times and locations for the scouts to set up a table. Then you pick the date and time that works for you. We split a 6 hour slot into 3 2 hour shifts for up to 3 boys per 2 hours. Then the total sales between the 6 hours is divided evenly between the scouts that "worked".

Last edited by bigzig; 01-17-2013 at 12:50 PM.
bigzig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:58 PM   #40 (permalink)

Another idea is asking bakeries and restaurants. A lot of the places over here re-purpose the cookies, especially thin mints for other desserts (ie. for crusts in pies, crumbles). Maybe just around here but it's a big hit and I know they buy a ton.
hitman1116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:02 PM   #41 (permalink)

Does your troop have the new Mango ones, the Girl Scouts here do not and I really want some. I loved the lemon chalet ones, but of course they quit making those!!! Let me know on the mango cookies....
thebear29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:33 PM   #42 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebear29 View Post
Does your troop have the new Mango ones, the Girl Scouts here do not and I really want some. I loved the lemon chalet ones, but of course they quit making those!!! Let me know on the mango cookies....
No mango cookies out this way, which surprises me since we have a lot of mango loving folks in this part of the country. My kiddo is peddling 6 kinds, which means they must had eliminated quite a few types over the years. I did the whole Facebook posting, and it did help her get a few pre-orders. What I do not understand is why she just is not given some boxes to sell from the get go. I understand the need for pre-orders, but there are 3 or 4 types that sell like hotcakes (i.e. Tagalongs) and are easy to unload.
ilovethelakings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:43 PM   #43 (permalink)

When I was in college this crazy radical guy who always thought the government was watching him and tagging his mail did a speech on the Girl Scouts. He was disgruntled over a mother and daughter who duped him out of 10 boxes of somoas. It wa Los a pretty in depth speech about the corporation that fuels these cookie sales and how it should be illegal that they use child labor to distribute and collect on their product. He said that he would e making it his life mission to bring down the Girl Scouts of America. It was pretty funny but no one could tell if he was being serious or he had a different sense of humor. I have a neighbor girl who usually hits me up for somoas if she doesn't come by ill buy some from your daughter
Old 01-17-2013, 01:44 PM   #44 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigzig View Post
Psshh. Gs coomies are easy! They sell themselves. You should try selling $18 boxes of popcorn for 2 cub scouts.
Our neighborhood is full of kids, so we get guilted into buying them, GS Cookies, and other random crap. The GS cookies are about the best deal out there. We usually pick up 3 or 4 boxes (thin mints and peanut butter ones FTW). The Popcorn boxes tasted good, but for $18, it's highway robbery.

Lots of [???], [Missing] and #N/A at ROCK BOTTOM PRICES!
Chaddie84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:45 PM   #45 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by danmecum51 View Post
When I was in college this crazy radical guy who always thought the government was watching him and tagging his mail did a speech on the Girl Scouts. He was disgruntled over a mother and daughter who duped him out of 10 boxes of somoas. It wa Los a pretty in depth speech about the corporation that fuels these cookie sales and how it should be illegal that they use child labor to distribute and collect on their product. He said that he would e making it his life mission to bring down the Girl Scouts of America. It was pretty funny but no one could tell if he was being serious or he had a different sense of humor. I have a neighbor girl who usually hits me up for somoas if she doesn't come by ill buy some from your daughter
So you went to college with fullmetal? (Before anyone gets upset, really just making a lighthearted joke )
Ooosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:52 PM   #46 (permalink)

It can be done. Bring the sheet to your work and they will sell. Every year I help my niece sell almost 400 boxes to friends and co-workers...
strider_boi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 02:46 PM   #47 (permalink)

I heard from my sister that theyre good. What kind of flavors are available?
Old 01-17-2013, 03:10 PM   #48 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToppsCollector1 View Post
I heard from my sister that theyre good. What kind of flavors are available?
Girl Scout Cookies and Learning Life Skills

Thin Mints and Peanut Butter Patties FTW

Lots of [???], [Missing] and #N/A at ROCK BOTTOM PRICES!
Chaddie84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 03:13 PM   #49 (permalink)

those peanut butter ones look good
Old 01-17-2013, 03:18 PM   #50 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP3toOKC View Post
Are there prizes inside?
yes ..... me
migraine is offline   Reply With Quote