Blowout Cards Forums
Advertise On Forum

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Off Topic

Off Topic This section may contain threads that are NSFW. This section is given a bit of leeway on some of the rules and so you may see some mild language and even some risqué images. Please no threads about race, religion, politics, or sexual orientation. Please no self promotion, sign up, or fundraising threads.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2013, 12:47 PM   #1 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Blacksburg VA/Murphy NC
Posts: 27
Default Verizon Question

I'm sure this has been asked or brought up in someway shape or form but anyway I refuse to give up unlimited data, and I realize that for me to upgrade with a discount i have to give it up. But question I have is if I get a friend or family member to upgrade and me just pay them will verizon release that phone for me to move to my line or is there some kind or waiting period that it has to stay on that line that was upgraded. Thanks in advance for both smart ass and legitimate answers
underdogg75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 03:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host
 
dthimesch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 16,253
Default

When my wife and I were eligible to upgrade to the iphone 5 we were skeptical because we did not want to get rid of our unlimited data either.

Let me tell you, unless you are NEVER on wi fi the whole unlimited thing does not matter for a second. Unless you live on the data network and never use wi fi then you are not going to come close to the 2GB a month.

Like I said we were skeptical even though we would get 4 GB combined a month. We started looking at our usage and the most we have ever used was a month we were gone twice in one month on vacation and we used a whole 1.25 GB. we average about .25-.50 of usage a month.

moral of the story, I wouldn't worry about it at all.
__________________
Twitter: @thedthimesch
Ustream Channel: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/dthimesch
Vaughntv Channel: http://breakers.tv/dthimesch
dthimesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 04:19 PM   #3 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Blacksburg VA/Murphy NC
Posts: 27
Default

see that's the thing we don't have a decent internet provider in our area and we use our phones as a hot spot for tv, laptop, etc...so we are data hogs last month my wife used 46 gb lol so i trying to find a way that i don't have to pay $600-700 for a phone.
underdogg75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 04:45 PM   #4 (permalink)
Member
 
p.thomaston's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Mobile, AL
Posts: 2,904
Send a message via Yahoo to p.thomaston
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by underdogg75 View Post
I'm sure this has been asked or brought up in someway shape or form but anyway I refuse to give up unlimited data, and I realize that for me to upgrade with a discount i have to give it up. But question I have is if I get a friend or family member to upgrade and me just pay them will verizon release that phone for me to move to my line or is there some kind or waiting period that it has to stay on that line that was upgraded. Thanks in advance for both smart ass and legitimate answers
I was a corporate store manager for Verizon for 4.5 years, I then left and worked for Sprint for 2 years at a larger store. They are both on the CDMA network but things have changed since I've been in that role. I'm assuming that Verizon is demanding that you change your rate plan in order to receive your upgrade discount? Sprint used to (may still) monitor current data usage on a month to month basis, they would then "slow" the speeds on those devices that used large amounts of data consistently. Given the situation that you are in, being "grandfathered" in to your current rate plan, they more than likely have changed the coding in "EROES" (the rate plan coding system) to become incompatible with the handset make/model that you currently have. This would be the only thing that could prevent you from putting a newer phone on your existing plan. My advice would be to find the phone that you want to upgrade to and go by a local store to ask if the phone is compatible with your rate plan. If it is compatible, then you have options of upgrading like you mentioned or buying a used phone with a clean ESN. If not, keep searching for a newer model phone until you find something that will work. Sorry for the long read but let me know if any of this doesn't make sense and I'll be happy to assist.
__________________
SUPER-PC: Patrick Robinson & John Jenkins
WARRR EAGLE!!!
p.thomaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 04:46 PM   #5 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Chapin, SC
Posts: 3,465
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by underdogg75 View Post
see that's the thing we don't have a decent internet provider in our area and we use our phones as a hot spot for tv, laptop, etc...so we are data hogs last month my wife used 46 gb lol so i trying to find a way that i don't have to pay $600-700 for a phone.
I have att no more unlimited. But I know i could purchase a phone off someone or off ebay and use it without it being an upgrade to me. Maybe you would be able to get it activated since it opulent be an upgrade?
Have plenty of friends who said when the broke there phone the just call in and activate it right there
__________________
Always willing to make computer backgrounds/wallpapers, just send me a pm.

Also selling drawings, send me a pm for any questions
Braveskid1025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 05:00 PM   #6 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host
 
dthimesch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 16,253
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by underdogg75 View Post
see that's the thing we don't have a decent internet provider in our area and we use our phones as a hot spot for tv, laptop, etc...so we are data hogs last month my wife used 46 gb lol so i trying to find a way that i don't have to pay $600-700 for a phone.
In that case, you can disregard what I said and in your case I would say it is almost more beneficial to you guys to actually pay retail price on a new phone.
__________________
Twitter: @thedthimesch
Ustream Channel: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/dthimesch
Vaughntv Channel: http://breakers.tv/dthimesch
dthimesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 05:06 PM   #7 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 6,916
Default

I was in the same boat as you

I have the Droid X, have had it for at least 2.5 years. I became eligible for an upgrade (which I wanted to do), but they all said (at multiple stores) that I would lose unlimited data usage. (Note: I use my phone for pretty much everything, so unlimited is real helpful)

The past few months my phone really got bad, the battery life was pathetic (fully charged, last 30 minutes, on the least lit up screen). I ended up getting a new battery (fantastic now) and a 16 GB MicroSD card (huge upgrade from my old one).

At this point I really don't need a new phone, because it's pretty much good as new. I guess I'll wait til it breaks
ajscards101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:01 PM   #8 (permalink)
Member
 
Koppper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: WA
Posts: 3,556
Default

Ya if you have wi-fi, its actually better, the minutes was what was killing me (..girlfriend), so having unlimited texts and mins was better than data, because wi-fi usage doesnt count!
__________________
Always Collecting MIA Dolphins, SF Giants (*Posey), Penguins, and SA Spurs.
Collecting Star Wars/Batman Sketch Cards & Other Non-Sport.
Check out my Photobucket
http://s421.photobucket.com/albums/pp297/Koppper/Sports%20Card%20Collection/
Koppper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:31 PM   #9 (permalink)
Member
 
CAS239's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Fort Myers, Florida
Posts: 2,096
Default

The whole unlimited data thing that's going on is stupid. It's all about money so before long there will no longer be unlimited data. Even with grandfathered in members..you want to upgrade, you're going to have to pick a plan. It would be nice to keep it for grandfathered in members, but money rules. When I upgraded and was talking to Verizon heads a lady told me that sometime later this year all unlimited data will be gone for anyone wanting to upgrade/change phones..grandfathered as well. That when even they want to change phones they'll be required to pick a data plan.

I had the Droid X and had unlimited everything. Few months back got the IPhone 5 on Verizon with unlimited talk and text and 2GB data. I have wifi at my house so not a terribly big deal. Just gotta remember I can't constantly play games and use data when not connected to wifi. Last month I did go over slightly by a minuscule amount :/

Stupid that their doing away with all unlimited data..but since they are, I really don't see a way around it in the near future if you do plan on getting a new phone anytime.
CAS239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:36 PM   #10 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,344
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAS239 View Post
The whole unlimited data thing that's going on is stupid. It's all about money so before long there will no longer be unlimited data. Even with grandfathered in members..you want to upgrade, you're going to have to pick a plan. It would be nice to keep it for grandfathered in members, but money rules. When I upgraded and was talking to Verizon heads a lady told me that sometime later this year all unlimited data will be gone for anyone wanting to upgrade/change phones..grandfathered as well. That when even they want to change phones they'll be required to pick a data plan.

I had the Droid X and had unlimited everything. Few months back got the IPhone 5 on Verizon with unlimited talk and text and 2GB data. I have wifi at my house so not a terribly big deal. Just gotta remember I can't constantly play games and use data when not connected to wifi. Last month I did go over slightly by a minuscule amount :/

Stupid that their doing away with all unlimited data..but since they are, I really don't see a way around it in the near future if you do plan on getting a new phone anytime.
if you pay full retail for your phone they let you keep unlimited data. you only lose it if you get a 1 or 2 year agreement aka getting your phone for cheaper. pretty strange but thats how it is.
rip+flip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:47 PM   #11 (permalink)
Member
 
CAS239's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Fort Myers, Florida
Posts: 2,096
Default

^Yep..I remember I would've kept it if I paid the $700 I believe it was for my phone.

Only smart to do that if you do the math and find it would be cheaper in the long run to do that. Which really would only be good for people that use a ton of data. It would've been a waste of money for me with wifi accessible
CAS239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:00 PM   #12 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Blacksburg VA/Murphy NC
Posts: 27
Default

first thank you all for the responses. I gave them a call to get some details on the share everything plan and what would fit me....and right now my bill is around $200 with using phone as a hot spot. And with the 20gb share everything package (the highest they offer) my bill would go to $260 + $15 per gb beyond that and my wife alone was well beyond 20 gb last month. So doing the math $60 more a month will be $720 a year increase minimum with no overages, which is enough to buy a just about if not any phone retail. we are going to bite the bullet and just buy one flat out and keep what we have, and just out of spite im going to try to top 100 gb this month
underdogg75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:15 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO
Copyright © 2013, Blowout Cards Inc.