Blowout Cards Forums
Football promo

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Off Topic

Off Topic This section may contain threads that are NSFW. This section is given a bit of leeway on some of the rules and so you may see some mild language and even some risqué images. Please no threads about race, religion, politics, or sexual orientation. Please no self promotion, sign up, or fundraising threads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2013, 12:02 AM   #1 (permalink)
Banned

Default your favorite/worst work shift?

I am curious what shift do you all like to work and what do you hate? I hate graveyard as I am not a night person at all. I don't mind early morning shifts like 6:00am-2:30pm but I would rather work 6:00am-6:00pm three days one week and have four days off then work four days the next week (same shift) and have three days off. I got to work 6:00-6:00 last year then we lost our contract to that site
vc15jrich23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:39 AM   #2 (permalink)

I loved going into work at 8PM and leaving at 7AM. Anything else was a burden to my soul.
Old 01-23-2013, 01:47 AM   #3 (permalink)

I work 6-6 always. But I swing back and forth between nights and days every two weeks. I work Mon/Tue/Fri/Sat one week and then Sun/Wed/Thur the next week, then rinse and repeat. So every other weekend I have to work Fri/Sat/Sun 12 hour shifts but also every other weekend I am off Fri/Sat/Sun. The best is when I get off Thursday at 6 PM and don't have to be back until Monday at 6 PM. I enjoy night shift for the most part, and have gotten used to the 12 hours shifts.

Work in a steel mill BTW.

KCCO!!
timfsu2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 02:13 AM   #4 (permalink)

Favorite which didn't last long, first week of this year 4:30am-3pm (I covered for the 1st shift supervisor while on vacation). I was on 3rd shift 10pm-6am which was my second favorite all of 2012, but the majority of my time at this job (7 years this year) and presently I am on 2nd shift 3pm-1:30am. The shift was tolerable the first few years since my daughters were not old enough for school but as of late its killing me. I get to see them for an hour in the morning before they go to school and thats it.
Old 01-23-2013, 02:38 AM   #5 (permalink)

10-6pm Shift

Late enought to where I can sleep at 2am regularily and still get plenty of sleep before work

Get out early enough to where retail stores are still open and I can run errands if necessary. Plus traffic is light at that time
Old 01-23-2013, 08:57 AM   #6 (permalink)

Worked 7PM-7AM at my hospital job M-W. Nothing was better than having 4 days off a wk. I miss that shift
Old 01-23-2013, 09:41 AM   #7 (permalink)

I enjoyed 2nds as a college student, tbh. Sleep in late, get out early enough to catch up with your friends before they were completely hammered.

Now, i enjoy my teaching schedule.

Don't ask me how much I want to offer. Come with a price in mind. If I don't want it or think it's worth that, I will let you know.
Clarka3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:45 AM   #8 (permalink)

The only real shift-work I did was at a hospital. I only did 7AM - 3PM and 3PM - 11PM. Not sure which I liked better. I am just glad I didn't have to do 11PM - 7AM!

I also worked at a movie theatre, but the shifts there were a bit different and not 8 hours long usually.
Ooosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:48 AM   #9 (permalink)

i don't work shifts unless i am a supervisor.

we have a contract with the state for snow plowing. everytime we get called it's a minimum 8 hours, even if there is no snow.
last time they called us out i had already worked a shift from 5am-4pm, i had to go sit in a truck from 6pm-2am and try to sleep (and you're not allowed to shut the truck off because of the cold weather)

i enjoyed the 4am-1pm shift.
i also liked overnight 8pm - 5am
but the best shift of all had to have been M-Thurs 5am-3pm, off fri-sun

if i could work 4 days a week, i would take a pay cut
VWBUS1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:23 PM   #10 (permalink)

3:30PM-1:30AM was awful.
MI Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:56 PM   #11 (permalink)

Out to sea on a submarine, 9 hours on watch, then 9 hours off. This was 24/7 for 84 days. My 9 hours off was the only time to sleep, supervise maintenance, keep up on admin work, attend/conduct training, and eat. I did several "27 hour days" in that span.
We live in a country where Rosa Parks had the courage and conviction to sit down long enough to start a revolution that lead to Al Sharpton screaming racism every time Barry Bonds gets indicted for taking performance enhancing drugs in order to break a home run record set by a black man who didn't even have the benefit of Advil.
66_Fiat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:23 PM   #12 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to fm8418

I do Fri-Tues 530am-2pm.
fm8418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:43 PM   #13 (permalink)

worst ever part of my schedule is the 6 months away on deplyoment underway. that's 6 months straight of 6 hours on, 12 hours off with some sort of training and maintenance going on during those 12 hours off. then count the 20 or so total days in port, being in a 3 section duty rotation meaning working 1 out of every 3 days. bottom line is you'll get maybe 8 days off in 6 months.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:20 PM   #14 (permalink)
Banned

Best: 8-5
Worst: 8-5
JoshHamilton is offline   Reply With Quote