Blowout Cards Forums
eBay Front Page (card ed)

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Off Topic

Off Topic This section may contain threads that are NSFW. This section is given a bit of leeway on some of the rules and so you may see some mild language and even some risqué images. Please no threads about race, religion, politics, or sexual orientation. Please no self promotion, sign up, or fundraising threads.

View Poll Results: Do you hold cards hostage?
Yes; I hold out for as much as I can regardless of if potential buyer is collecting or flipping 11 22.00%
Yes; but I only hold cards hostage for flippers 6 12.00%
No; I help others complete their sets so I will give/take a fair price 21 42.00%
Depends on circumstances; Explain below 12 24.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2013, 04:41 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Holding a card hostage

I recently had a conversation with a member on the board regarding selling a high end card to another member who was yearning for it. From what I gather, the seller was reluctant but sold the card. Turns out the other member immediately turned around and flipped it. I found that to be a d!ck move.

Got me thinking....Has anyone ever held a card "hostage" to a collector that needed that particular one to complete a set?

If I was desperate for money, I probably would. Fortunately for me, I live comfortable and wouldn't hold a card "hostage" to a true collector (not a flipper though). However, if I had financial troubles, I would hold it hostage for a high amount.

I want honesty here. What do you do?
Old 01-25-2013, 04:44 PM   #2 (permalink)
XL5

I have a price I want and if someone meets it, I sell it. I don't care if they're a flipper or collector or what. If they can sell for more, more power to them.

OTOH, I might come down a bit for a known collector. Mabye.
Old 01-25-2013, 04:52 PM   #3 (permalink)

[IMG][/IMG]

:jedi::jedi::jedi:
natbornkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:01 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHeel View Post
However, if I had financial troubles, I would hold it hostage for a high amount.
This doesn't really make sense to me. I guess I just imagine that financial troubles would be fairly immediate in most cases, so if it were me I would probably not try to hold out.

I have been on the receiving end of deals on Willis stuff, so if I come across a 'true' collector I do try to pay it forward when I can. Otherwise, I generally loathe people who openly negotiate on a basis that they 'need' deals since they are buying to resell.
jeg2315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:29 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeg2315 View Post
This doesn't really make sense to me. I guess I just imagine that financial troubles would be fairly immediate in most cases, so if it were me I would probably not try to hold out.

I have been on the receiving end of deals on Willis stuff, so if I come across a 'true' collector I do try to pay it forward when I can. Otherwise, I generally loathe people who openly negotiate on a basis that they 'need' deals since they are buying to resell.
I strongly dislike people who buy to resell and think that everyone should just be willing to get rid of their cards for cheap. I'm not going to sell you $2-3 cards for $0.10 a piece. I would rather just wait for someone to actually buy it for the price it's worth (even if it is only $2-3).

On topic though, I would never hold a card hostage unless the person that needs it expects me to bow down to them just because they are collect that player. Will I give them a deal? Yes, but I'm not selling it for 50% less than what it's worth.

PC: Jemile Weeks
Sqeeshy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:42 PM   #6 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

I don't sell to make the most $$, as you might know

That being said if I had a card that sells for $100 on Ebay and some cowardly, lying, dillusional Floridian were to offer me $70 to resell and a collector offered me $70 I would sell it to the collector.

But really it matters not what the person does with the item after I give, sell or trade it to them.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/jon-s-box-breaks-and-more
jlzinck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:50 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlzinck View Post
I don't sell to make the most $$, as you might know

That being said if I had a card that sells for $100 on Ebay and some cowardly, lying, dillusional Floridian were to offer me $70 to resell and a collector offered me $70 I would sell it to the collector.

But really it matters not what the person does with the item after I give, sell or trade it to them.
i don't sell to flippers for a discount unless I just need to dump stuff. I'll sell to a collector at a discounted price though, but that collector must really be into that collection. Last thing I want to do is give up a very nice card for cheap to see it sold off later when the player got hot.

Don't ask me how much I want to offer. Come with a price in mind. If I don't want it or think it's worth that, I will let you know.
Clarka3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:01 PM   #8 (permalink)

For me it is a depends answer. Many times my pricing is determined by the perceived attitude and perceived sense of entitlement of the buyer. If I sniff out a Liar Buyer like Imac7065 my price will be very high.

There are members on these boards who incredibly appreciative and fair when you help them with their PC (Matt Wheeler comes to mind at the top of this list).

99% of the time I do not care what you do with the card, but if you spin a web of lies to talk me down on the price I am going to be temple pounding pissed if you flip the card.
Concentrating on my personal collection. Please drop me a PM if you have any of the following for sale: Topps Football 1956-1959; 1961-1968; Philadelphia Football 1964-1967, Autographs of Baseball/Football Vintage Stars and Hall of Famers (especially on card autos), 1990's Topps Chrome Refractor Inserts of all sports.
37Jetson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:15 PM   #9 (permalink)

haha. "temple pounding pissed"

never heard that one before.

Don't ask me how much I want to offer. Come with a price in mind. If I don't want it or think it's worth that, I will let you know.
Clarka3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 07:08 PM   #10 (permalink)

It's all about the situation...not too long ago, I had a low-numbered card that someone needed for their player PC; worked out a fast, easy deal. As long as the other person is fair and polite, I don't have any reason to hold a card hostage.

However, if they're going to act like they're an entitled brat about the card and think they deserve it because they collect Player X, they're going to pay about double what it's worth if they want it.
lambeauleap87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:46 PM   #11 (permalink)
Banned

My price goes up if you start "I super collect blah, blah, blah".

The sense of entitlement in this hobby is absurd. Even worse on here.

My favorite are the ebay stalkers that send you a message, start with the "super collect" and offer you the same price you paid plus "$5.00 for your time". F off!!

If it is someone on here I have deal with a lot, or basically get along with I am more then happy to do what I can do help out on price.
sdoug76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:14 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
I recently had a conversation with a member on the board regarding selling a high end card to another member who was yearning for it. From what I gather, the seller was reluctant but sold the card. Turns out the other member immediately turned around and flipped it. I found that to be a d!ck move.
A member notorious for buying and immediately flipping on eBay is

celtics - ebay user name =elwaybronco

Cards that members are willing to sell for $5 on the boards, he'll swoop up and go around and post the same card for $45 on eBay-
Old 01-26-2013, 12:45 AM   #13 (permalink)
Approved Group Sub Host

Had a member here hold a card hostage and WAY overpriced it and 2 months later when he figured out im the only person thats collects that person i finally got it for a "fair" price
Got to love the "collectors" who flip cards but when you ask who they collect they cant answer
Old 01-26-2013, 09:54 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdoug76 View Post
My price goes up if you start "I super collect blah, blah, blah".

The sense of entitlement in this hobby is absurd. Even worse on here.

My favorite are the ebay stalkers that send you a message, start with the "super collect" and offer you the same price you paid plus "$5.00 for your time". F off!!

If it is someone on here I have deal with a lot, or basically get along with I am more then happy to do what I can do help out on price.
THis as well. if someone EXPECTS a steep discount because of sooperdooper collector status.

I also once pulled a FB Superfractor of a star/all pro player. A team collector asked me what I wanted for it. I asked him to tell me what it was worth to him. I was happy with that price even though I probably could have made 30% more on Ebay.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/jon-s-box-breaks-and-more

Last edited by jlzinck; 01-26-2013 at 09:57 AM.
jlzinck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 10:00 AM   #15 (permalink)

Ill help pcs with my cards but flippers gotta pay!!
mickdapug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:04 PM   #16 (permalink)

In general, I get the best price I can for a card. With that said, I've given discounts to "collectors" and watched those cards be put up on eBay the day they arrive in the mail. Granted, the new owner can do what they want with the card once they receive it, but don't expect to get a 25-30% discount because you're a "collector" of that player or team again. I give discounts to people that will stash the card away in their PC, not flippers. I like making people happy, provided what makes them happy isn't making money off me because they lie about their intentions with a card.
PAYING VERY HANDSOMELY FOR THE "O" IN THE 2009 DREW BLEDSOE BY THE LETTER SET. WILL PAY $25 FINDERS FEE IF YOU DIRECT ME TO ONE AND I AM ABLE TO MAKE A DEAL (eBay and COMC listings NOT APPLICABLE/REDEEMABLE)
ssbledsoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:11 PM   #17 (permalink)

Mostly when dealing random strangers on the forums, I leave emotion out of it. If someone wants to pull a dick move, that's their problem and I just move on. I buy/sell for what I feel is a fair value. All these games people play to try to get pricing in their favor just gets tiring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlzinck View Post
THis as well. if someone EXPECTS a steep discount because of sooperdooper collector status.

I also once pulled a FB Superfractor of a star/all pro player. A team collector asked me what I wanted for it. I asked him to tell me what it was worth to him. I was happy with that price even though I probably could have made 30% more on Ebay.
I'll do that for a personal friend, or someone I've dealt with a lot (cutting each other deals), but not some random.

Last edited by Chaddie84; 01-26-2013 at 12:14 PM. Reason: Merged posts
Chaddie84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:13 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by XL5 View Post
I have a price I want and if someone meets it, I sell it. I don't care if they're a flipper or collector or what. If they can sell for more, more power to them.

OTOH, I might come down a bit for a known collector. Mabye.
+1 for me.
hhmag70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 01:02 PM   #19 (permalink)
The Fantastic Store

Don't hold any hostage myself but am aware of a couple of members holding hostage from me...
Follow Me On Twitter @SportCardBuffet
SportCardBuffet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 02:23 PM   #20 (permalink)

When someone owns a card it is just that,thier card. It belongs to them. Would it be nice if they helped someone out with a decent price who pcs that player? Yes,it would. But the person who pcs that player is in no way entitled to a good price simply because they pc that player. Business is business. If the owner of the card has better offers then by all means he should take the best offer. If the person seeking the card wants it that bad then they will up thier offer. If not,oh well,they lose out.
Old 01-26-2013, 02:59 PM   #21 (permalink)
BlowoutTV

I have given someone a red refractor they needed for their rainbow. It was one of my pc players (so not worth too much), but they needed the card because they heavily collected that player.

They asked how much I wanted and I said I would send it first and when it arrived they could pay whatever they thought was fair. I added a few autos and also a few extra colored parallels to the package. I included my paypal but told them it was just for the red and everything else was free.

I contacted them over a month later and asked if they received the package. The response was that they were too busy to open packages. I never got another response.

Another time I pulled a printing plate of a pc player (pc player = Rays). I was contacted by someone who proclaimed to be the Super Collector of said player and rather rudely demanded that I sell them the plate... and cheaply too.

When I told them to kick rocks, they complained in a thread. How they will never have all the plates because they already had three. There are 8 plates though paper/chrome - and I did not just have one.

So those two experiences really soured me on the pc card deal.

However, if you are a collector of a certain player or card, I will either sell at a discount or just give you the card.

For instance:

ForeverLFC gets all CJ Wilson cards - most free and autos at discount.

NeedChapmans gets all Chapmans and Cingrani - I have only sent him a few base Chapman rookies so far.

Stangdad would get any RJ Dickey card I pulled that he needed.

WilsonValdez gets al Et'waun Moore cards for his super pc.

The700Level gets all Maikel Claito and DUI Deshields.

Ooosh gets Travis Schneider

FLMARLINS gets Giancarlo

Cardozo gets Karl Malone

Somebody gets Travis Wood... escapes me.

Last night I learned that skillovermyluck pcs Yasmani Grandal... so I will set any aside for him now too.

Anyway, my point is that some people do not deserve special consideration and some people do.

Having said that, think of me with Mikie Mahtook, Kes Carter, and Richie Shaffer.

houdini is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 03:04 PM   #22 (permalink)

I am with Houdini. I more or less have a "What's mine is yours, mentality," but I only exercise it with people I KNOW collect what I'm sending, and will actually appreciate them.

At the end of the day, this is a hobby for me, not a business, and if I can help someone else enjoy it as much as me, then perfect.
tajikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 05:21 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:

Got me thinking....Has anyone ever held a card "hostage" to a collector that needed that particular one to complete a set?

If I was desperate for money, I probably would. Fortunately for me, I live comfortable and wouldn't hold a card "hostage" to a true collector (not a flipper though). However, if I had financial troubles, I would hold it hostage for a high amount.

I want honesty here. What do you do?
This thread seems to presuppose that every card a person owns necessarily has a price. I collect for the enjoyment, and I will not sell cards I do not want to sell. I have been accused to holding items hostage by set and player collectors who seem to believe they have a greater right to the card than I do. I find this to be nothing but arrogance and entitlement. My collection is my own, and I have put the effort into amassing it. It is not there for other people to cherrypick at their whims.
I recently started working full-time (finally). As a result, I often forget about PMs which I've reviewed during the day, but did not have time to respond to. Please feel free to follow up. It is not my intention to ignore or forget about anyone.
bdrr is online now   Reply With Quote